Jeers MMV

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Nomadichuntergatherer

Jeers MMV

Post by Nomadichuntergatherer » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:47 pm

Jeers MMV:

About 20 minutes south of Empire on the way out I came across a poor s.o.b. whose pickup was hemmoraging some vital fluid. I picked him up for a lift back to town, and he told me that he'd been waiting there quite some time with his thumb out watching hundreds of Burners pass him by.

What?!?

A few hundred Burners is a small representative sample, but still: do we think that two of the most important spirits of Burning Man, compassion and community, can be forgotten after The Man burns?

And I expect each of those callus passers-by will go home and tell their families and friends how Burning Man has changed their lives

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:53 pm

Jeers to the scumbag motherfuckers who trashed the highway with entire truckloads of empty water bottles. You are not Us. You are not Burners. You are the trash you left for others to pick up after you.

Jeers to the simple sonofabitch who pitched his tent LESS THAN A FOOT from our generator box, and then bitched about the noise. You and one other clueless dipshit were the only ones camped in the entire 100'x100' grid, and you HAD to camp next to our genny and you HAD to leave your trash all over the ground when you left.

We have photos and if I find you next year, I will--I WILL--deflate your tires because you left your water bottles, trash and rebar on the playa when you left.

We cleaned your shit up for you. Next time, bring a tire pump.

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:24 pm

ZaphodBurner in "08" You got my VOTE
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

ZaphodBurner

Post by ZaphodBurner » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:07 pm

ibdave wrote:ZaphodBurner in "08" You got my VOTE
LOL! Thankee.

I've got an additional jeer: My fuckin' drummer.

We got home at 6 a.m. Tuesday, I went to work (at noon, ah well), got home, went to the studio...on four hours of sleep, totally exhausted from 16 hours on the road, still nursing playa foot, still straddling BRC and the real world...I don't need to tell you all 'cause you know how it is.

No practice, 'cause our drummer camped on Sunday and Monday next to a clear, cold mountain stream in a nice, cool ancient Oregon forest 90 minutes from his home. Highest temp was probably 80. He skipped practice on Tuesday 'cause he "needed a day to relax." (His relatives haul their RV and genny to the fucking woods just to camp for the weekend.)

WEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK!!!!!

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:41 pm

Jeers:

To the water truck driver who barely opened the pipe up on the back of his truck. So much for the free shower like the other driver offered. And so much for dust abatement, your water barely covered the middle of the street.

To the saboteur who put rocks in the portapotties.

To anyone using wetwipes in the portapotties. Or 2 ply TP.

To the idiots shooting off fireworks and especially flares like one that landed on top of a young woman not far from me. It scared her pretty bad. Fortunately she got hit with enough water from friends and bystanders that no damage was done.

For pushy and highly obtrusive cameramen with no tags on their cameras who had a soundguy following around in tow. I hope the dust fucked up your cameras beyond repair and the shots turn out to be worthless.

To BMIR for being a lot of repeats and worthless info whenever I tuned into it.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:13 pm

Something similar happened during exodus. I was out picking up rocks while my campmates drove out and I saw a hitchhiker. By the time we got up to 447, he was still thumbing it so we picked him up and gave him a ride to Reno. We met a cool kid who was fun to talk to. The rest of you missed out.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:21 pm

I saw the sound guy! Big boom mike...It didn't even occur to me then (I spent a little time drinking this year), but I guess he was with the VeryDisco Channel...
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

Steel Kitty

Jeers cont...

Post by Steel Kitty » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:39 pm

Jeers to the people that showed up late friday night, pissed (and took a dump on) the playa, left their trash all around and then took off early sunday. You are not burners. **why does BMorg allow this, btw? I guess it increases ticket sales**

Ugh, I hate, hate, hate the jeans and polo crowd who stand around and gawk at us -- we're NOT a zoo. All of a sudden I felt self conscious in an environment where a few days earlier I didn't feel that at all.

Jeers to the guy playing Bob Marley at 7am (5:45 and Gestalt) for waking me up with his overpowered speakers. Jeers again to him after repeated requests to turn the shit down, he just turned it up louder.

jeers to babywipes in the potties.

big jeers to BMIR. God I hate crappy radio. Two things: quit spouting off/ranting about politics. I came to BM to get AWAY from the world, not be reminded of how crappy things are outside of BM the entire time I'm AT BM. And, two, play some decent music. Even college radio has segments of news/music/etc. (yes, I'll volunteer next year -- or set up my own pirate radio station)

Cheers to the rangers. Camping next to you guys was incredibly cool.
Cheers to the virgins camped behind us. You left no trace. Come back next year.

Cheers to everyone who went above and beyond in cleaning up the moop, even if it wasn't yours.
Life isn't about arriving at the grave well preserved, but rather, sliding in sideways yelling "Holy Shit, what a ride!"

YerNotDaBossOMe

Post by YerNotDaBossOMe » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:40 pm

Cheers to the woman in the middle of the play on Sunday picking up moop and putting it into a trash bag.

Cheers to the Do Lab for the giant flower.

Jeers to the yahoo fucks who tried to steal the black lights from our aerial rig.

Jeers to the drunken troglodytes who showed up Friday, turning the place from Woodstock to Taladega.
There...I said it and I'm glad!

neccessity

Post by neccessity » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:08 am

This was my first year and I have only one jeer! How cool is that? But still:

Jeers to the burnier-than-thou tard at Recycle Camp who harrassed my dear husband for taking a picture of a cool-ass bike. It was a fucking bike. That's not spectating. Get over yourself. There was no human in the picture to ask permission of. You told us the day before that we were to be thanked and revered for bringing only aluminim cans as the sign said. And this day we're trash for photographing an inanimate object?

Chill. The. Fuck. Out.

Have some reds. Or blues. Whatever gets you over it.

<3 Ness
Teh mother of invention

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:13 am

neccessity wrote:This was my first year and I have only one jeer! How cool is that? But still:

Jeers to the burnier-than-thou tard at Recycle Camp who harrassed my dear husband for taking a picture of a cool-ass bike. It was a fucking bike. That's not spectating. Get over yourself. There was no human in the picture to ask permission of. You told us the day before that we were to be thanked and revered for bringing only aluminim cans as the sign said. And this day we're trash for photographing an inanimate object?

Chill. The. Fuck. Out.

Have some reds. Or blues. Whatever gets you over it.

<3 Ness

`
I THInk it is time for that camp to move on. Each year they become ruder. New people can not be expected to uderstand there perimative gurt. I was seperating out some cans from a load of moop. I saw the closed sign. Some one rushed out and gave me hell for litering. I can not expect for him to know I move slow. But fuck. I took thr weeks moop hunt home with the cans too.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:41 am

Last year wasn't much better for recycle camp, their attitude sucks. And a few more people now know why I'll haul my cans 1600 miles back to Missouri...it's easier than dealing with them.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:10 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:Last year wasn't much better for recycle camp, their attitude sucks. And a few more people now know why I'll haul my cans 1600 miles back to Missouri...it's easier than dealing with them.

~
I ran into there rude asses in 01. Made the mistake getting confussed and askig for hellp.
Like some org person said: They have been here for many years. So I said: This gives them right of passage to be rude assholes huh?
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:09 pm

Maybe that camp should be recycled. I can understand a one time thing, but if they're continuous dorkwads, maybe it's time for people to take care of their own recyclable moop and let the recycle camp run under it's own power-crusher.

Or get some people who are more into this thing called "community" and less into "burnier-than-thou". Staff can (and maybe should be) rearranged.

bb

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:18 pm

Yeah.
I experienced the same shitty attitude at recycle camp.

Maybe it comes from being trapped there smelling the stale nasty odors coming from the piles of reeking cans.....

...but still,...after someone verbally poops on you,
it`s kinda hard to feel sorry for them....

ZaphodBurner

Post by ZaphodBurner » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:06 pm

Jeers to the Reverend for screeching to Burners, who were still desperately trying to grasp for the facts at the Temple on Sunday, that the hurricane was racist and that black people were being loaded on buses and sent to concentration camps...

...while other critics are howling about how buses were available but went unused.

What were they -supposed- to do with evacuees? Didn't exactly give 'em tix to Burning Man, did they? At least the police in Gretna solved the "put people in concentration camps" problem by turning them back to die in the streets of New Orleans. Was that a better solution?

Jeers for his bitching about Bush's global warming while standing on a fucking bus in front of several hundred other oil-consumers who drove hundreds or thousands of miles to play with art on the playa.

Jeers for turning a sad event into a hysteria-mongering political propaganda rally ranting about global warming and racism. Cue Joan Baez... ...oh, wait. Funny how that works out, huh?

BTW, last I heard before then, Joan Baez was trying to bum a ride into Black Rock for the weekend from the BM aviators.

Jeers to anybody who took a plane ride over BRC and then applauded the Reverend's rant about Bush's global warming. A four-seat single-engine Cessna burns 8 gallons of 110-octane per hour. A twin-engine burns more than twice that. How was your flight, Miss Baez?

Jeers to the Dirty Little Bitches who got kicked out of Whiskey and Whores because the women weren't there during the critical tits ride for the strip-off. (Not because there was no strip-off, but because they were assholes to the guy running W&H, who were New Orleaneans sucking it the fuck up, and the Bitches had to cause a scene and be thrown out.)

Jeers a second time for splitting from the airplane-bar, storming from the stage at the pimp's beckoning while he commanded the Bitches, *at Burning Man* "THAT'S IT! NO MORE FREEBIES." If we thought it was worth paying money to see your skanky white trash asses we'd have continued on to Reno.

-zb

falk

Post by falk » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:07 pm

[quote="ZaphodBurner"]Jeers to anybody who took a plane ride over BRC and then applauded the Reverend's rant about Bush's global warming.[/quote]

FTR, my plane burns 92-octane gas and gets 18 mpg. (No plane uses more than 100 octane)

(Not that I was aplauding the Rev; didn't even see/hear him)

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:38 pm

An informative article on octane...

http://www.prime-mover.org/Engines/GArt ... ctane.html

It backs up Falk's statement. Perhaps you were thinking of performance numbers instead?
K-IV
~~~~

ZaphodBurner

Post by ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:36 am

falk wrote:
ZaphodBurner wrote:Jeers to anybody who took a plane ride over BRC and then applauded the Reverend's rant about Bush's global warming.
FTR, my plane burns 92-octane gas and gets 18 mpg. (No plane uses more than 100 octane)
Typo...110 should have been 100. The mpg combined with the relatively-straight-line distance is encouraging, but the cargo capacity of the aircraft must be considered. A 6-cyl pickup will get <= 18mpg but it'll also be able to carry a lot more than four people and a couple of suitcases.

BTW, do you use MoGas? What do you fly?

-zb
(PP-ASEL-IA)

waltsnipe

Post by waltsnipe » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:27 am

I'll preface this by saying that I thought this year had a lot less "yahoo" behavior than last year. There seemed to be a real mellow vibe all over the playa this year, even after the Burn (for better or worse). But....

Jeers to those who pick up their default behaviors too quickly and act like jerks in the Exodus line. Is it really that important to cut someone off to get that one car length ahead, especially since you'll still be sitting there with the person(s) you just cut off and have to look them in the eye? Is the Burner spirit that easily shed?

Jeers to theme camps that fill up the "Who/What/When" with descriptions of elaborate events that never even come close to happening (you know who you are). If you're not ready to put in the work and creativity to be a real theme camp, then you shouldn't get that real estate.

Jeers to the Tecate drinker(s) who kept throwing their cans in the Porta-Potties (almost every one I went to during the week).

Jeers to the very-obvious narc (dressed like Serpico circa '73, with outdated lingo to match) who tried to entrap us in the middle of the day Friday on Ego ("Hey, fellas, I have marijuana, hashish, anything you cats need....."). #1 who do you think you're fooling?; and #2 aren't there better uses for your time in a city of 40,000 people than running stings?

Jeers to people, at the beginning and end of the event, who wouldn't keep it to 5mph and had huge dust trails behind their vehicles all over the city.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:40 am

I know it's for dust abatement but that 5 mph "speed limit" IMHO is totally stupid. There are cars that have trouble registering any speed below 10 mph with any accuracy. I try to follow the "rule" of leave no dust and / or go slow enough that you can stop on a dime for pedestrians and bikes yet keep traffic moving....if you're leaving dust you're going too fast, end of story.

If one wanted to be a dick about it you could bust quite a few bikes for going beyond 5 mph. Enforce it for all or enforce it for none...selective enforcement irritates me.

And in the end it really comes down to common sense, not just rules.
K-IV
~~~~

ZaphodBurner

Post by ZaphodBurner » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:25 am

Kinetic IV wrote: And in the end it really comes down to common sense, not just rules.
Therein lies the problem.

The first burners we saw were stranded on the side of the road because they'd so totally overloaded their trailer that they'd blown both spares and destroyed the rim. Didn't like the idea of my wife backing the moving truck up to situate their trailer on flat ground so we could jack it up and fix it for them. (She drove longhaul through 46 states before she was 30.)
Didn't have any idea what the max gross of the trailer was, nor how much weight they were hauling in it anyway.

One of the last things I saw during Exodus was somebody's stray dog shitting at the entrance to the walk-in camp.

Then, of course, was the endless amount of trash on the side of the highway left, I hope, by people who simply couldn't figure out how to properly secure their shit, ask for help or stop and pick the stuff up.

Cheers to everybody who makes an effort to educate and assist the people who haven't yet gotten the clues. One can't expect a 20-year-old on his first road trip to have it all mastered, but there are always going to be those people.

-c

falk

Post by falk » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:03 pm

waltsnipe wrote:Jeers to theme camps that fill up the "Who/What/When" with descriptions of elaborate events that never even come close to happening (you know who you are). If you're not ready to put in the work and creativity to be a real theme camp, then you shouldn't get that real estate..
I disagree. I would rather see ten people try to create something beautiful and nine fail, than to see none try because they're not sure it will work.

Where I work, the rule is: if you met your goals for the quarter, that means you didn't aim high enough.

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:53 pm

Jeers to the LLC for being bought off and allowing Dicovery Channel to film a reality T.V. show at Burning Man. If this thing airs on tv it's only because the LLC viewed it and signed off on it.

Jeers to Charlie LeDuff for being an asshat.

Jeers to the Reality Show "Only in America", who implanted actors to portray participants in their "reality show", and who threw eggs at the man (and then pretended to throw eggs at the man when they didn't get the shot right the first time).

http://times.discovery.com/convergence/ ... eview.html

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:11 pm

Watched the commercial at the link for the second time...still couldn't spot any Burning Man footage. For what it's worth, though, yes...that guy seems like a dildo.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:15 pm

Hey wait. Dilletos are good things. I hate the implication that we let just anyone crawl in as it were.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:49 pm

still couldn't spot any Burning Man footage
It hasn't been approved by the LLC yet, my guess is it's still being edited. I'm also going to guess that it won't get the green light from the LLC on the first pass.

Return to “Philosophical Center”