Early Entry Question Advice Requested

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
dav725

Early Entry Question Advice Requested

Post by dav725 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:43 pm

Our group is bringing up a part of an installation for an old, well-established theme camp. This has been more or less, a last minute edition. It happened too late to officially put our group on the early arrival list. But they swear that we'll have no problem getting in because this camp is well-known and they'll see that we are bringing part of an installation. I have concerns about this. I really wouldn't love to get there a day early and find out that we couldn't get in and would have a day to kill in Gerlach. The people from the theme camp seem so certain that it's no problem...not even understanding my concern about it. Is early entrace really, really tight or flexible? I'm not someone trying to take advantage...they really do want me to bring this installation a day early for set-up. Advice is GREATLY appreciated.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:55 pm

All indications are that they are being tight on early arrivals this year and if your name is not on the list you're sol.

Every year they say that and every year they seem to break it, but don't rely on that. Apparently part of the problem is that there hasn't been a whole lot of room to deal with non-listed. But with the new site, that's supposed to change.

It has to do with BLM permit restrictions and with lack of infrastructure.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

JRoyale

I hope you enjoy camping just outside

Post by JRoyale » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:16 pm

I hope you enjoy camping just outside with a bunch of really, really unhappy campers. Because that is what is going to happen.

The BMOrg has made it super extra clear that this year that the Gate is strictly enforcing the early entry rules. Not because the BMOrg gets its jollies from making rules and watching you all suffer, but because the BLM is attempting to extract more money from the BMOrg. This is strictly being driven from the BLM and since it concerning money; you can bet the LLC is dead serious.

I work for the DMV and went through a similiar time when we worked with the Gate to stop all the uninvited Mutant Vehicles from entering the city. The Gate is one part of the Org you don't want to fuck with.

So don't expect any mercy from the Gate crew, they are just following orders from above and by the time you get there they will have been deluged with requests from people that aren't on the list and don't want to wait outside the gate until Monday 12:01 AM. I expect these people to be very unhappy and that feeling will probably be reflected by the Gate crew as well.

My advise to you is to hole up in Reno on Sunday night and have a party and do a little gambling and then hit the road early in the morning on Monday. If you time it right, you can hit the playa at sunrise.

geekster

Post by geekster » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:18 pm

Dav, I would wonder who told them it would be "no problem". Don't go on previous experiance. Even our listed theme camp had to limit the number of early entries and we are also building some art and the early-early entries for the art build were severely limited (two people, I think).

I wouldn't believe it 100% unless they have heard it directly from the gate department.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:30 pm

As a former member of Gate crew (2 yrs as a Gate Supervisor)...

Nope
No way
You ain't gettin' in
No, really

And this was the attitude of when it was a more kinder, gentler Gate. It's gotten an order or magnitude tougher.

But feel free to stay in Reno until 12:01am monday morn.

dav725

Post by dav725 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:32 pm

Wow, I think I get the picture. Thanks so much to the board members here...you probably saved us a bad beginning for our trip. It's great to be able to count on the burning man community, here and on the playa...even when the news isn't what you'd like to hear! Thanks!

geekster

Post by geekster » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:30 pm

I would say this is the official word on your question, DAV.

I forwarded it exactly as you wrote it to a member of the gate staff:
Early entrance is very tight per our BLM permit stipulations this year. Last year was loose, but this year they WILL BE TURNED AWAY, if not on the early arrivals list,

Pleas forward this out to anyone you know who goes to our event,

Gate and Perimeter

BRC 2006
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Sour Lemon
Burning Since: 2000

Post by Sour Lemon » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:08 am

geekster wrote:I would say this is the official word on your question, DAV.

I forwarded it exactly as you wrote it to a member of the gate staff:
Early entrance is very tight per our BLM permit stipulations this year. Last year was loose, but this year they WILL BE TURNED AWAY, if not on the early arrivals list,

Pleas forward this out to anyone you know who goes to our event,

Gate and Perimeter

BRC 2006
I have to chuckle at all the messages (accidentally) sent to the mailing lists from "established" camps that couldn't be bothered to read the e-mails just because they've been to Burning Man a bunch of times.

Let's see, right at the top of "TC ANNC #4, '06/Early Arrivals/Scrap Eden/Deliveries/Other Cool Stuff" (sent 7/4):
EARLY ARRIVALS

In order to be admitted to the city before the start of the event at
12:01 am on Monday, August 28, you MUST be on the Early Arrivals List
AND have your ticket in hand. Having one or the other will not work.
You MUST have BOTH in order to gain entry into the city.

Early Arrival Process and Approval Criteria

Just as in previous years due to BLM restrictions, only a very
limited number of theme camp participants can be admitted to the city
prior to 12:01 am Saturday, August 26. Additionally, also due to BLM
requirements, everyone admitted to the city prior to the start of the
event at 12:01 am Monday, August 28 must be on the early arrivals
list. If your camp would like to have participants enter the city
early, we need to receive two lists from your camp by Monday, July

[...]

Second List: THIS IS NEW THIS YEAR! Early Arrival Weekend List for
entries between 12:01 am Saturday, August 26 and 12:01 am Monday,
August 28. This list will not be subject to an approval process, but
all individuals must be affiliated with a theme camp and must be on
the list to be admitted prior to the official start of the event.
So it's not like this info was hidden.

I might pull up a lawn chair at the gate and watch the high drama as large groups of people are turned away over the weekend because their contact person didn't do their job.

-sl

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:22 am

Oh, and anyone foolish enough to ignore the advise--don't count on spending your time in Gerlach. By that time it will be full to the seems and bursting. Go camp on the Pyrimid Lake and enjoy some stressless vistas and toe wiggling. It's for your own sanity.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:26 am

Don't you need a permit to camp out there?
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:32 am

Yep. You should buy the permit anyway, if for no other reason than to show support for the tribe. That way, too, you can *hope* to cool your feet in Pyramid without the *fear* of the consequences of not having the permit, and a lighter wallet in *the future*.

What's it cost? $5.00? You can't afford *that*???

hugz,
bb

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:36 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Yep. You should buy the permit anyway, if for no other reason than to show support for the tribe. That way, too, you can *hope* to cool your feet in Pyramid without the *fear* of the consequences of not having the permit, and a lighter wallet in *the future*.

hugz,
bb
Only 5 bucks? Shit, I can afford that. :) Least I know it will go for something good. Where do you pick these up?
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:44 am

I think the little store in Nixon sells them. And maybe the Wadsworth Gas Station.
The Lady with a Lamprey

JRoyale

Post by JRoyale » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:12 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Yep. You should buy the permit
It is $9 per car per day

All you need to know

http://www.plpt.nsn.us/rangers/index.html

zorro sings
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:53 pm

OK How did all this work out?We heard rumors on Monday that vehicles were parked from the gate to Gerlach due to their inability to arrive early.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

safetythird

Post by safetythird » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:16 pm

When we arrived in the wee hours Sunday morning there were people parked all along the road from before Gerlach all the way to the gate. I sorta felt bad for all these people that had to camp out so close to the city but not that bad. I mean there was an easy and legit way to get in early. I figured these are probably the same people that cut in front of everyone during exodus.

S3

zorro sings
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:01 pm

Thanks,that is what we heard.Must also compliment the gate staff for their efforts at the gate.We were on the early arrival list,they actually had the list,and they were tolerant of the playa names we had submitted even though no such name on drivers license or passport.Imagine it helped that everyone from our camp entered together.Hopefully everyone will know the score next year.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

FungusAmongus

Post by FungusAmongus » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:12 pm

i was also concerned about this before arriving to brc. we had registered our theme camp but due to technical difficulties the person who had registered us cancelled. which basically left us up the creek w/out a paddle cuz we had a big mutant vehicle to set up and we didnt want to waste our burn time doing so, hence why we had registered. we never got for comfirmation on cancellation. And we also saw our theme camp on several different lists pre-burn. We never got placement and never got on the list either. The info on whether we could get in early was so conflicting it was hard to know who to believe. I had been told by several people who volounteer for several different jobs and they told me there would be no problem getting in on sunday, that it was sat and before they were really being harse and turning people around. So after camping at pyramid lake sat night we decided to head for home on sunday about 10:30am. we got to the gate around noon and as we approached it seemed as if we would have no problems but when we got to the gate they told us we had to go sit over at will call and wait to talk to frog. So, happy that they didnt turn us back to wherever we came from we went over to will call and started partying with the other folks that were waiting there. Once the person who had registered our camp originally talked to frog he gave everyone with us a half sheet of paper w/ questions to fill out. The paper just asked why we werent on the early list and why we needed in early. our theme camp must have been listed somewhere because did end up getting in about 1pm :) on a side note when we first turned off pavement to playa there was a group of people who had been turned around already forming. So i'm pretty sure they were being as strict as possible on not letting people in early. also when we came in on sunday there were no cas alongside the road from before gerlach to playa. infact we were looking to see if it looked like they were turning people around and we really didnt see a whole bunch of burner types heading south on 447. I think by the time we arrived they were allowing people they didnt let in the gate to sit outside the gate and wait. but there wasnt a line going back to gerlach. this was about 11:45 sunday morning

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”