the worst burning man experience ever

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
bayani

the worst burning man experience ever

Post by bayani » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:48 pm

this was my first burn and my bike was stolen and a BLM officer wrote me a $525 ticket for holding a cigarrette that he thought was marijuana (probably because i have dreadlocks), but i live too far away to go into court and dispute it. The officer said i could call in to a public defender to reduce the price by half, but i just called in and apparently that is just not true. javascript:emoticon(':cry:')
Crying or Very sad

at least 7 veteran burners told me that i deserve a complimentary or reduced ticket for next year, although none of them have the power to do such a thing.

there is no way i would pay full price to get into burning man again, i would feel much more satisfied spreading messages like this:

monday (the day after the burn) was the biggest public display of complete disregard for our environment that i was reluctantly a part of. i wanted to just disapear from that place. i was completely disgusted by how much wood and materials were just burned away in a desert of all places. my poor family in the phillipines would have loved to have that wood to build their homes. right now hundreds of them live in dumpsters or under piles of trash.

i would be surprised if any other burning man virgin had a worse experience than me.

-Scott

puffycloud

Post by puffycloud » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:00 pm

whoa. your marijuana ticket story sounds completely bizarre. what happened when you unrolled your cigarette and showed the officers it was tobacco?

as for the burning wood and materials.. welcome to the hedonistic, wasteful world of burning man.. not to mention america in a time where many have a lot to waste. people complained incessantly about all the wood in the "waffle" going up.. but seriously, look around you. all of burning man is about blowing a ton of cash and energy on an experience that ends in no tangible product. that is the kind of the point. at least there were large wood donation areas this year.

getting your bike yanked sucks. likely someone was just fucked up and didn't intentionally rip you off.

sorry for your troubles. i hope you at least got out of the experience what you put into it. as for the free ticket.. good luck. many of us spend thousands of dollars every year entertaining you.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Those seven vet burners DO have the power to see you have a free ticket. They could buy it for you.

kukulcan

Post by kukulcan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:11 pm

well, someone wrote "this is grade 3 building material, not suitable for structures or buildings of any kind" on the "Belgian Waffle" (Uchronia) next to the little "donate this to Katrina victims" thing. they are 2" x 3" beams, and everyone i asked confirmed that the material would not meet code.
the fiber of the thread of the same fabric.

puffycloud

Post by puffycloud » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:18 pm

a sensitive newbchild rolled into our camp on friday encouraging us to protest the waffle burn, as it was "made from virgin woods from the pacific northwest."

we laughed pretty hard at that guy. if that wood was quality virgin material, than so am i.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:27 pm

Trees are a renewable resource. Bamboo is even better, grows like a frickin' weed.

Hmmm, worst burn ever. I suppose the guy who died of cardiac arrest had a pretty bad burn. And there were reports of sexual assault, I bet their burn was pretty fucked up.

Yeah, the BLM hands out citations to perfectly nice polite people for cigarettes. Right. All 69 of them didn't deserve their citations.

I got yer fucking gift right here.

fungusfun

Cry Me a Temple

Post by fungusfun » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:35 pm

Not to break up your little personal pity party, but you need some serious perspective if you think you had the worst Burning Man experience ever. My friend DIED on the playa in 2003, and we didn't go home and whine about Burning Man being responsible or demand compensated tickets. Crazy shit happens out there. Perhaps a stay at a Motel 6 in Fresno is more up your alley.

And your family in the Phillipines is living under piles of garbage and you bought a ticket to Burning Man instead of sending the money to them? Nice!

~Brian

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:43 pm

Not to be harsh but jeezus, you want sympathy? Sympathy gets you nowhere. A swift kick in the ass does though. As for all that wood being wasted what I saw going on burn piles when I watched the Uchronia burn with Robbidobbs was stuff that wasn't fit to build a doghouse with much less use in a structure suitable for human habitation. As for that wood helping families like your own in the Phillipines why didn't you spend the minimum $185 you shelled out for a ticket not to mention your other costs and send it back to the Phillipines to help your family? You went to the event in the desert because you wanted to go. You got there and because of a bad experience and a bad choice now you want to trash the event and wrap that attack up under this I had my rights violated and it's all a festival of excess crap?

Spare me. You knew going in what this was if you had your head out of your ass, did your research, read the back of the ticket and the survival guide. As for getting busted it's not just a sight thing of someone rolling a smoke...there is still loose leaf tobacco and rolling papers being sold at stores all across America and cops know that. They had to see or sense something more before writing so in case you did come back to Nevada and challenged the ticket they had something that would stand up in court. They don't necessarily write frivilous tickets...there are people out there with the resources to call them on bullshit like that and they damn sure know it. So to level a charge like that...nope, I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying it. Not one bit. So I'm sorry to harsh your mellow so to speak but no...this whole thing smells worse than a hog farm at 4 pm on a hot August day.

Edit: it takes me a while to bang out a response and Fungusfun, you slipped a good post in there before I hit submit. That's right on the mark, a great post.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

cornelius
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Shortfuse, Robotronia, PoPCorn Palace

Post by cornelius » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:52 pm

AntiM wrote: I got yer fucking gift right here.
Yeah Anti M! I didn't know you had it in ya! Awesome.

As for crying boy up there...I think this is a fake-out to entice us to unleash our terrible E-vengence. Boo Hoo. Sorry you won't be coming back to Burning Man again. (demanding a reduced ticket? and then threatening with some kinda bad publicity statement?) It's people like you who show up and expect some kinda giant red carpet back rub naked here take my food and sleep in my theme camp while taking my drugs and drinking my water oh and by the way I forgot my hat and my sun screen and booze but don't worry everybody at Burning Man will take care of me Utopia out in the middle of the desert. Put that in yer little cigerette and smoke it.
ROBOTS UNITE

Mr. Mellow

Post by Mr. Mellow » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:11 pm

bayani, I just wanted to say sorry you had such a bad experience. That bums me out.
Mr. Mellow is a professional janitor. He knows more about porta-potties than you do.

The CO
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Re: the worst burning man experience ever

Post by The CO » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:50 pm

bayani wrote:this was my first burn and my bike was stolen and a BLM officer wrote me a $525 ticket for holding a cigarrette that he thought was marijuana (probably because i have dreadlocks)

monday (the day after the burn) was the biggest public display of complete disregard for our environment ...i was completely disgusted by how much wood and materials were just burned away
Life sucks, get a helmet.

If you got a ticket for a "marijuana cigarette" that you didn't have the balls to challenge the LEO on, then stay the fuck out of my city,you stupid f-----n hippie. The only way police and cops will be kept on the police side of things is if citizens of any town are willing to stand up and make that cop prove it is weed. If you weren't smoking the green or carrying it on you, then J. Law (not John Law of BRC lore) had no leg to stand on. You buckling and taking the ticket just gives that much more power to shithead LEOs in the real world. [BTW, the police at Burning Man are some of the best out there at being Police, not Cops. Learn the difference] Stand up for yourself.

Sorry about your bike. It happens. See opening line.

As for waste in BRC, you can tell us how bad our city is after you have spent a month in Camp Katrina (not the BRC version, the real thing) or donated anything to it. All the surplus lumber from the 3:00 area went to the Camp Katrina effort. What did you do?
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

bayani

nadonk madonk!

Post by bayani » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:41 am

all of you made me feel much better, so thank you. you helped me realize it wasn't really that bad of an experience. Now that I think about it, i had a great time and i'm proud to have been to burning man, this is just my way of getting to know all of you.

OregonRed
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Re: nadonk madonk!

Post by OregonRed » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:35 am

bayani wrote:all of you made me feel much better, so thank you. you helped me realize it wasn't really that bad of an experience. Now that I think about it, i had a great time and i'm proud to have been to burning man, this is just my way of getting to know all of you.
Bitching is not a way to get to know people. Ever. It just makes you out to be someone I'd rather avoid.

Burningman is whatever you make of it (like so much in life). Last year, I had a fellow not want to take no for an answer, and attempt to follow me back to camp. Scared the shit out of me. Then my campmates made me talk to LEOs about it and file a police report. When the LEO showed up in my camp, he was GREAT. He made me feel comfortable, and reminded me that it was NOT my fault (he also apologized for being such a big guy, and offered to find me a less threatening looking officer if I preferred). I could have let this ruin me for future Burningmen (is that the correct way to say that?), but I decided that if I did, than the asshole(s) win... Can't have that.

Even better, this year, my 6th, was the BEST YEAR EVER.

So, Bayani, get the fuck over it. Bad shit happens to everyone... Even in BRC. It's how you deal with the bad shit that makes you a better person.
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:37 am

Ah B, you're beginning to get it. Welcome home.

Oh and,
Yeah Anti M! I didn't know you had it in ya! Awesome.
Oh, I gots it in me, just takes a long slow wind-up or extreme fatigue before I lets it show.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:54 am

at least 7 veteran burners told me that i deserve a complimentary or reduced ticket for next year, although none of them have the power to do such a thing.
Fucking priceless.

julie_c

Post by julie_c » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:23 am

WHY WHY WHY????
Does anyone buying a ticket to BM, think it's their passport to Utopia?? If you want touchy feely, stay home and touchy feely yourself... Why do people there bother me to eat their Organic Fruits and Veggies when I'm scarfing junk food (easy to fix on the playa) and consuming large amounts of beer??

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:49 am

Burningman is whatever you make of it (like so much in life).
This was my first year, and I found that statement to be very true. Some parts really sucked (the dust storm Monday night really bothered my sinuses [I had a cold or infection or something which hadn't cleared up completely], for example). Other things I really enjoyed (listening to bands in Center Camp, my trip out to the trash fence (yes, I am strange!), and others). A lot of stuff fell somewhere between. I have a list of things to do differently next time I get to go (vacation time and finances allowing), which will hopefully optimize the good experiences and lessen the bad.

Well, now I have to go deal with one of the less fun aspects: unloading my car!

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

transgirl

Post by transgirl » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:30 pm

The comment "trees are a renewable resource" spoke the most truth to me. Damnit, that is the truth. The problems in the phillipines go far beyond not being able to find enough wood to build houses out of. We're talking major economic problems and corruption on a scale far beyong not having resources. The phillipines is chock FULL of resources, in that regard. So please stop trying to push that as a valid argument.

I found the burning of stuff fit perfectly in with everything going on. It's not unheard of for artists/poets etc to burn their art.

bayani

Post by bayani » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:03 pm

[quote="transgirl"]The comment "trees are a renewable resource" spoke the most truth to me. Damnit, that is the truth. The problems in the phillipines go far beyond not being able to find enough wood to build houses out of. We're talking major economic problems and corruption on a scale far beyong not having resources. The phillipines is chock FULL of resources, in that regard. So please stop trying to push that as a valid argument.
[/quote]

the philippines is chock full of resources? that may be true if you are comparing it to antarctica. have you been there? do you know how much of their virgin rainforests remain?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmen ... hilippines

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:46 pm

buy a fucking bike chain

the lumber used in the waffle was shit - scabby chip grade at best

demand to see the officers supervisor

boohoo - I had a blast, and am dragging more of my friends there next year.

I worked ESD and can tell you about some people that had some real shitty experiences at BM - and they are still coming back next year.

Later all - be safe
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Steven bradford

Post by Steven bradford » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:09 pm

And quit smoking. The fine doesn't even come close to the amount you've wasted on cigarettes over the years.
Steve

Paint or Be Painted
http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/Body_Painting_Technique.html

bayani

Post by bayani » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:00 am

[quote="Steven bradford"]And quit smoking. The fine doesn't even come close to the amount you've wasted on cigarettes over the years.[/quote]

ive smoked less than 50 cigarrettes in my life. i only do smoke them on super special occasions

JRoyale

Post by JRoyale » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:02 am

bayani wrote:ive smoked less than 50 cigarrettes in my life. i only do smoke them on super special occasions
You're freakin' hilarious! After a massive beat down here on eplaya telling you the way things work at Burning Man, you remind me of the spunky Black Knight in Monty Python's Holy Grail after King Arthur cuts off his arms and legs.

http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/grail/grail-04.htm

"What are you going to do, bleed on us?"

JR

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:25 am

I'm kinda wondering why the cop would have taken the time to write a ticket on a tobacco cigarette. Not defending cops, per se, but knowing a few of them, they have other things to do than write bogus tickets.

Now I wonder. Damnit for sucking me into this. What kind of attitude did you give the cop? You can tell the dif smellwise between tobacco, clove, and spliff. Did you act all paranoid and suspicious? Hmmmm???

And if he whapped you, he should (and would) have held the cig remnants for evidence. I've seen cops on moop patrol looking for evidence. Otherwise its a dead case.

Scenario in Pershing County Superior Court:
Judge: And where's the evidence, officer?
Cop: The subject smoked it.
Judge: And you let them, suspecting it was an illegal substance?
Cop: Uhhhh....
Judge :DIS-Missed.

Something ain't ringing true in this - NO cop would hang hisself like this. Sorry, but I know too many cops. They ain't stupid!!!

There's also a saying - If you look like a target, don't be surprised if you find yourself getting shot at! Being from the Phillipines, you ought to know this already - as I remember, they're not quite as "lenient" as the law here... So if you DO go to court, look presentable. If you look like Joe (or Jane) Cleancut Citizen, you'll slide... If you look like Ali G, then, you get what you prepped for.

Finally - read the fucking back of your ticket and the survival giude next time. Jeez....

bb

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:54 am

Sorry about your bike, was it locked? We had bikes stolen too, they were not locked, and while it sucks it hardly qualifies as a life crisis. People were seriously injured by others actions, jailed, institutionalized for observation, lost vehicles or spent thousands of dollars on tows/repairs, and one person even died. How does your experience compare to that?

If it was marajuana (or another controlled subsrance), quit crying like a baby and pay your fine, and be glad it wasn't a fed that nabbed you. Or a Tribal Police Officer.

If it was NOT a controlled substance, something isn't right here. What was left out of the story? Did the Officer take the cig as evidence, or did you swallow it or something else?

We had numerous cigarette rollers get "nabbed" (narc/LEO appears out of no where, grabs cig and bag, sniffs it, then says "that's ok" and disappears).

And your rant invoking a pseudo-green angle is just laughable. How much energy would it have cost to transport that wood to the Phillipines? Most of it is not construction grade, and while burning it does impact the environment, so does your farting. BTW - there are rumors that the ORG is trying to plant trees to offset the carbon footprint of BM. Not perfect, but a start.

Sorry you had a bad time (I did also and I assure you it has cost me more than you), but this veteran burner thinks you somehow missed the whole point of the festival...now THAT makes me sad.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

transgirl

Post by transgirl » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:56 pm

[quote="bayani"][quote="transgirl"]The comment "trees are a renewable resource" spoke the most truth to me. Damnit, that is the truth. The problems in the phillipines go far beyond not being able to find enough wood to build houses out of. We're talking major economic problems and corruption on a scale far beyong not having resources. The phillipines is chock FULL of resources, in that regard. So please stop trying to push that as a valid argument.
[/quote]

the philippines is chock full of resources? that may be true if you are comparing it to antarctica. have you been there? do you know how much of their virgin rainforests remain?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmen ... hilippines[/quote]

LOL My fiance has been there at least 10 times, and yes, there's tons of trees in the phillipines. Please.

transgirl

Post by transgirl » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:58 pm

BTW that link didn't go anywhere. The phillipines can grow bamboo out its ying yang. The availability of wood and the possibility of available wood is NOT the problem. The virgin rainforests have nothing to do with it.

RINGMASTER

Post by RINGMASTER » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:47 pm

was my first time.. had a fucking blast.. met a ton of kick ass people.. literally didnt meet anyone i didnt like.

will be back next year bigger and better, with more people in tow

some of my favorite/most often visited places :

playa q - several friends were staying there
fandango
spikes
the lotus girls fire snake
thunderdome
gary's camp
the entire 6:30 and guess neighborhood
the dog tag camp

fucking amazing! as for the dust storms.. bring em on! im of the opinion that if things go perfect and without a hitch, then it wasnt worth it. every adventure needs a few obstacles!

bayani

Post by bayani » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:25 pm

[quote="transgirl"]BTW that link didn't go anywhere. The phillipines can grow bamboo out its ying yang. The availability of wood and the possibility of available wood is NOT the problem. The virgin rainforests have nothing to do with it.[/quote]

try this link

http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/x6967e/x6967e0c.jpg

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:39 pm

A little digging / fact checking seems to support Bayani's position. Not everything is what it appears to be.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Return to “Stories”