The Return of the Mutaytor

buckdown

The Return of the Mutaytor

Post by buckdown » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:55 am

The Mutaytor is seeking a substantially large camp complete with stage and sound system to host it's friday night playa show.

if you would like to host our largest performance on the playa this year, please contact me at

buck@mutaytor.com

thanks.

helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Post by helitack » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:59 am

Is it like a puppet show or something?
Actively helping President Trump build the wall

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

helitack

Post by helitack » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:08 pm

Mime troupe?
Actively helping President Trump build the wall

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

Archantael

Post by Archantael » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:18 pm

Whoa, I thought Mutaytor wasn't coming back to the playa? And speaking of Mutaytor I wonder what happened to that child solicitation case that involved one of their members? It seems to have vanished....

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:31 pm

And speaking of Mutaytor I wonder what happened to that child solicitation case that involved one of their members?
From tribe (hearsay), I read that all charges were dropped from all of that TV shows "cases". That was just recently.

Archantael

Post by Archantael » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:09 pm

MikeVDS wrote:
And speaking of Mutaytor I wonder what happened to that child solicitation case that involved one of their members?
From tribe (hearsay), I read that all charges were dropped from all of that TV shows "cases". That was just recently.
That's good to know...they can get back to doing what they do without the distractions. I hope I can get out there this year as I'd like to see them again.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:12 pm

MikeVDS wrote:
I've been wondering about those "Catch A Predator" shows.
It seems to me that all the "predators" are NOT guilty of soliciting a minor. The "child" they communicated with and came to meet was in fact a person of legal age. So they thought it was a minor... sure... but it WASN'T!

Does that mean I can get a speeding ticket if I was going 55 on the freeway but I THOUGHT I was going 80?

Don't get me wrong, I don't support molesters, but it just seems that there's a big hole in the case against these ones.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

MikeVDS

Post by MikeVDS » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:20 pm

I'm sure "attempting" type laws are in this area. We have attempting to commit murder as a crime but not attempting to speed.

All that aside, those shows are there for one thing, to get viewers and make money. How much happens that's off camera? Do the girls present themselves as 19 years old, then after they've built a relationship say:
SillyGirlIM: I'm really 13
SillyGirlIM: Just kidding
SillyGirlIM: Maybe
Then they say he "knew" she was 13!?

I don't doubt they find some people who are at best in a grey area, but they aren't out to present the truth, just trying to make some money.

Das Bus

Post by Das Bus » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:41 pm

Nope. The cases that were recently dropped were from Texas. That may have something to do with some weird law that if you even have ANY kind of lewd talk with a minor on the internet, you can go to jail. A D.A. killed himself as the cops went to arrest him for doing just that.

But in the Matty Nash case, he plead guilty, and got (I think) 3 years probation and life time sex offender status, but no jail time. His wife, as last I heard, still stands behind
him.

You can argue the whole 'Perverted Justice" thing all day long, but any adult who trolls the internet for sex with minors (not MINERS - that's a whole differnet thang), and then ACTUALLY shows up, is just stupid. -----whether or not they actually believe they're talking to a child--------------
Medicated and Motivated!

MikeVDS

Post by MikeVDS » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:30 pm

Do you have any sources for that? Not that I don't believe you but now I just have opposing hearsay stories.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:48 pm

Anyone that preys on children is a sick son of a bitch, That said - we haev all been fooled I am sure by somkeones age or lack of age.

I met agirl in a bar in 2003 she was working ther e in fact, we hit it off started dating, and a month into it I find out shes a senior in High School, and jst turned 18. This wasnt illegal, but sure caught me by surprise.

When someone goes onlin, and the other keyboard says "I am 13" you should click out, and go elsewhere. Its that simple.

In this day and age are these stings not widely known? Anyone says they are under age, leave it at that and bail.

On another note Mutaytor is an underground Icon. They will survive bookings will come and they will get past this.

Nash's wife and family is the hardest hit in all of this. I feel for her.

a few posts above stateent about "attempted speeding" is non sequitor - It doesnt have any logic.

Attempted murder is a crime - there is no attempted speeding crime for this reason - outcomes and intent.

Attempted murder is an act that got screwed up somewhere. So the potential outcome is /was a murder.
There is no potential to "attempted speeding" it is a binary crime - you are either speeding or not.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

buckdown

can we TRY to stay on topic

Post by buckdown » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:39 pm

i suppose i'm a little disapointed that this thread, which was meant to find a home for a very new and improved mutaytor show which we were anxious to bring back to the playa turned into another discussion over perverted justice, pedophilia an That Thing That Matty Did.

by now i would think that most of you know that matty is no longer a part of this project, and we have go to great lengths to move beyond "the incident"

for those of you who need the blanks filled in: go here:
http://www.glidemagazine.com/Articles/5 ... aytor.html

that being said:
who amongst you has a set up in large scale sound that would like to host what i promise will be the best party in black rock city friday night?

love,
buck ae down
the mutaytor

Das Bus

Post by Das Bus » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:04 pm

VDS:

My info came from tribe w/links. I haven't clicked on Buckdowns' link, but maybe it's the same thing.

It seems that most of the guys plead 'guilty', and take their lumps just to get out of going to jail. But there were some REAL sickos in that bunch.

That being said....

Buckdown:

You may find it disappointing that your thread went straight to the Matty Nash thing; but for me, I'm surprised that no one caught on that you were asking for a stage to perform on? What gives? You guys don't take care of your own shit anymore???

EDIT: Oh yeah, and you want a sound system too. Get in line behind that chick lookin' for a free ticket - it's in some guys' pants on another thread.
Medicated and Motivated!

buckdown

Post by buckdown » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:28 am

jesus, lora....

we were looking for someone to collaborate with to throw an event at burning man. you see, this thread is supposed to appear under a subheading of Art & Performance called BSS (Bands Seeking Stages). often times when people spend a ton of money making a giant sound installation, they like to seek out talent to perform at it. we were simply trying to connect with those people. it was my understanding that this is what the BSS thread exists for.

the last mutaytor performance on the playa in 2004 attracted over 13,000 people. in order to produce that spectacle, it cost us over $25,000, to play that ONE SHOW. then, just as now, we had no label or corporate entity financing that . we also had to jump through an incredible amount of hoops with with the borg to allow it to happen & we were only allowed 24 hours to build the entire installation, instead of the 3 days that we needed to do it without pushing our people over the edge (which we ended up doing, and quite frankly it is an absolute MIRACLE that no one got hurt). that year just as every other year, we brought every cable, light, speaker gennie, etc to do it, which also required 3 24 foot trucks.

one of the primary reasons we stopped playing at burning man was due to the incredible amount of money and effort which that was spent in an enviornment that for a host of reasons (not necessarily all bad) has become increasingly more hostile to performance based art.

after the incident with matty happened, it created quite a stir in the burning man community, particularly on tribe. burning man is our roots, and we felt it was really important to play this year at the burn for a number of reasons, not the least of which to reconnect with the literally thousands of people who have supported this project, and have wanted to see us continuing to move forward.

because of the incident, we lost a substantial amount of income from cancelled bookings that would have off set the giant cost that naturally occurs when we perform in BRC. by finding a large scale sound camp that would like to host us, it will cut our costs (which will still be a suprisingly large amount - we're still bringing a giant truck full of stuff) down to something we could possibly manage.

as it stands we already have two other venues at the burn to play earlier in the week, but we wanted to do something HUGE for friday night, something that would incorporate a lot of art and spectacle. we are simply looking for other folks who would like to get involved. collaboration between many artists pooling resources is the very thing that makes burning man possible.

we have had a long history with this event (going on 10 years now), as well as numerous off-playa events, projects and films where we have donated an awful lot of time, money and resources to make happen. not just for ourselves, but for A LOT of other people's art, inclusive of countless things that we didn't even perform at. that's what community does, and we've been glad to do it.

if you would like to invest more time criticizing us, my suggestion would to be to start a seperate thread to do so with other like minded people, and allow this thread to serve it's function, which is to find other folks who would like to work with us this year.

mm-kay?

thanks, and have a great burn,
buck ae down
the mutaytor

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:30 am

buckdown wrote:if you would like to invest more time criticizing us, my suggestion would to be to start a seperate thread to do so with other like minded people, and allow this thread to serve it's function, which is to find other folks who would like to work with us this year.
sounds like a reasonable request to me, and i hope that people acknowledge this person and their actions were never associated with mutaytor.

personally i always loved your performances and sincerely hope the best for your return.

Das Bus

Post by Das Bus » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:38 am

It just seems strange to me that a group as large as Mutaytor doesn't have some knd of 'traveling' stage/sound system. Aren't you guys like 150 performers or something? Why the need to go big? I'd think you'd be much more appreciated in smaller settings. I know for a FACT that KidsVille would LOVE to have a few of you come perform. Of course you'd have to clear it through their Mayor and I hear she's a real bitch - oh wait.. that's ME!

As far as the Matty Nash thing goes - I didn't start it, but hey, it was such a hot topic, that you should have expected it to come back up. It's gonna take a few more threads, and then the 'regulars' will leave you alone, and then newbie chatter about it will be dismissed. That's just the way of the eplaya, so get over it! Fuck! You've gotten this far! Just ain't nobody here got a stage and a sound system.

There is a thread about 'artists seeking srages', but it's all DJ's with their techno. YEEHAW!

Anyways, I'mjust a smartass, so you can ignore me. Everyone else does. : P
Medicated and Motivated!

Otisserie

OK we'll ignore you

Post by Otisserie » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:07 am

Das Bus wrote: Anyways, I'm just a smartass, so you can ignore me. Everyone else does. : P
Consider yourself ignored.

I think the OP did a good job of explaining what he needed and why. They are a show in search of a stage, what's the problem? BM isn't exactly overrun with live music; so a little support might be in order. Mutaytor puts on a great show, and I hope they can find someone to host it; because I'll be front and center to see them.
I don't experiment with drugs anymore; I already know which ones I like.

Das Bus

Post by Das Bus » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:03 am

If I'm ignored, then why did you respond to me? And why is nobody pissed about the Matty Nash subject being brought up? You're all just up in arms 'cause I'm asking why a professional band needs to ask for a stage and sound system? I was under the impression that if you wanted something done at Burning Man, that you did it yourself. My mistake. I'll get right on buildng that stage for y'all.
Medicated and Motivated!

Toolmaker

!

Post by Toolmaker » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:26 am

I am sorry to hear about such a large group such as Mutaytor being held accountable for the actions of ONE person while not in the course of their performance.

This is pretty straigtforward from the article..

"""The short version of it was that Matty was caught in a sting operation by Dateline's To Catch a Predator television show somewhere in early September of last year. Around February 7, 2007, the footage of Matty getting arrested aired on national television. It wasn't until the piece aired that anyone else in the band, save Matty's wife, Crunchy, knew anything about it. The show began at 8:00pm and by 8:20pm, my phone started ringing, and didn't stop for almost a week afterwards. The decision for Matty to leave the project was made within hours after the show aired. """

I hope you all manage to recover from this and move on. Though I am not as into techno as I used to be you all put on a GREAT show and I hope someone comes forward with the space for you.

The Kidsville remark was kinda uncalled for DasBus since Matty was removed from the group so quickly. As a community we have to occasionally get together and help each other out. One of the ways this is done is through artist seeking stages and stages seeking artists.

As to "conspiracy" laws.. many states have "conspiracy to commit" laws on the books. As I understand it the application of these laws to the planning or attempt to commit a crime is just as bad as commision of the crime itself.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Sandwichman

Post by Sandwichman » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:45 am

Buckdown, let me contact a friend who is not on this bbs and get back to you but I may have a stage for you all.
oonsa oonsa for your feets [url=http://www.djjasonphilips.com/mixes/mixes_files/La_musica_que_no_tacara_usted_quiere_que_tio_corte.mp3]click here[/url]

Das Bus

Re: !

Post by Das Bus » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:51 pm

Toolmaker wrote: The Kidsville remark was kinda uncalled for DasBus since Matty was removed from the group so quickly. As a community we have to occasionally get together and help each other out. One of the ways this is done is through artist seeking stages and stages seeking artists.

As to "conspiracy" laws.. many states have "conspiracy to commit" laws on the books. As I understand it the application of these laws to the planning or attempt to commit a crime is just as bad as commision of the crime itself.
Why was my remark uncalled for? I was being serious! We don't have a stage, but will have a wide open central area, and would love to have a few Mutaytor people or anyone else come by and perform. Geeeeezzzz

EDIT: To add:

Nobody cares about Matty Nash anymore. Mutayor handled it in a professional, timely manner, and as far as I'm concerned, it's a non-issue. It's just a shame that it keeps getting brought up everytime anyone mentions 'Mutaytor'. But like anything else, I guess it just takes time..
Medicated and Motivated!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:40 pm

Hey Buck...

Don't let the thread's initial response get you down. Mutaytor hasn't played on the playa since 2004, and even within the Burning Man community I wouldn't consider it a household name. Your original post didn't link to the site or have pictures or anything, so it's fair for people to not really know what you're talking about.

And my guess would be that between Tribe hearsay and random searches, it wouldn't be too difficult for people to connect Mutaytor with the actions of a former member (it made it to a national tabloid news show, after all).

Don't let people complaining that you should travel with your own stage and sound gear get to you either. That poster probably doesn't have any idea what the costs are in either renting or buying most of that gear, nor all the logistics involved.

While I don't have a stage or location for you, I can make a couple suggestions. One you may have already checked in on... Cirque Berzerk. They bring out probably everything you'd be looking for in a performance venue. The other, which you may not have considered - Opulent Temple. While they're largely considered a big sound camp that focuses on electronic music, they're building an elaborate (and dare I say opulent) stage structure this year, with the intention of involving all sorts of additional performers. I don't know if it would work, but I think it's definitely worth exploring.

Good luck!

~Trilo~

buckdown

the stage is set

Post by buckdown » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:40 pm

i am pleased to report that the mutaytor has found a home for it's friday night show.

i won't spill the beans where just yet, but rest assured, this will be one of the largest most overwhelming multimedia displays in the history of the event. i promise you that.

stay tuned

peace
buck down
the mutaytor

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:47 pm

definately would like to know where its going to be, will be there.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:48 pm

trilobyte wrote:... Cirque Berzerk. They bring out probably everything you'd be looking for in a performance venue.
Trilo, that is hilarious! Just FYI, a bunch of the Mutaytors are in Cirque Berserk... One big happy dysfunctional family, and I say dysfunctional in the best possible kind and loving way. ;)

Token

Re: the stage is set

Post by Token » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:55 pm

buckdown wrote:...one of the largest most overwhelming multimedia displays in the history of the event. i promise you that.
WTF happened to the fire? Can we still "Fuck Shit Up®"?

Will this be an all ages show?

T

buckdown

Post by buckdown » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:03 pm

yes you can still fuck shit up

this is not an all ages show - its a show for the ages

and there will be more fire than you have EVER seen in your fucking life.

cheers:
buck

Token

Post by Token » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:20 pm

Smash, Smash, Smash!!!

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:27 pm

Let us know when and where ASAP, please. I was there for the last show and I'm damn well gonna be there for this one.

Fuck yeah!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:24 pm

Glad to hear it, Buck. And yeah, I figured CB had been discussed (I was laughing as I typed it) - Mutaytor and most of the Red Nose District are very intertwined.

~Trilo~

Return to “2007 Art & Performance”