Playa Tongue

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
LoloMojo

Playa Tongue

Post by LoloMojo » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:21 am

Help!!! Last year I experienced my own very special version of "Playa Tongue". It started out as some irritation on the side of the tongue like chaffing. Then it escalated into full blown canker like sores. I beleive it could have been caused by a combination of playa dust on my camel back water hydration pack nipple and the mechanical sucking action (okay wait this is sounding kinda hot) of my tongue against the nipple and the sides of my mouth while drinking. Basically it just grinds the playa dust right into the tongue.

I tried apple cider vinegar to neutralize the PH but that only aggravated it. A friend of mine had the same thing although his sores became more severe. This makes kissing very difficult!!! The pain began to subside within hours of leavilng BRC and the condition went away within a couple of days after returning home. Playa tongue was a total buzz kill and I would like to avoid it this year or at least be able to treat this condition on Playa. I've read about other versions of playa tongue but has anyone experienced one similar to mine and do you have the cure? [/b]

gladeye

Post by gladeye » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:40 am

That's a new one to me. Sheesh, one more thing to be preventative about. I never used a camel back, just lots (and lots) of water from a water bottle. Recreational drugs also seem to help. It sounds like you know what's causing the condition though. Sorry I don't have anything helpful to say. I just wanted to expressment my fascination with a new playa ailment.
"Madness is the first sign of dandruff" - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:44 am

swoosh some warm salted water around in your mouth, that will start the healing process. as far as prevention,,, don't suck on dirty nipples....
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

Dork

Post by Dork » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:27 am

Could it have had something to do with what you ate or drank? Many people make radical changes to their diet for the week, which can cause this type of thing.

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:47 am

And dehydration, causing the tongue to swell enough that the teeth abrade the sides. I can see it being compounded by the suction required to drink from a Camelbak or even just a straw...Personally, I can't stand Camelbaks. Even if I were a freakin' astronaut I'd rather take my freakin' helmet off and take a normal freakin' drink.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:15 pm

please quit licking the playa, i understand you want to help with the whole moop thing.. but thats gross.

Link

Post by Link » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:35 am

There is nothing wrong with licking the playa. Playa needs love too. May I suggest some kind of tongue sheath?

Did you have any dry mouth problems that might have added to the issue? Maybe sucking on hard candy or chewing gum combined with more water drinking could solve the problem.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:43 pm

Vinager will give a little pain while it is neutralizing the playa dust..A salt water rinse for healing is a very good idea..

Being a professional dirty old man, I though that story was going some place else..

RINGMASTER

Post by RINGMASTER » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:44 pm

[quote="misfit"] as far as prevention,,, don't suck on dirty nipples....[/quote]

gee... take all the fun out of it

Davoid

Post by Davoid » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:57 am

Vitamins and water. And if that doesn't prevent it, try slathering your tongue with lotion and putting a sock on it before you go to bed. Works for the feet...

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:15 pm

A couple things come to mind immediately. First, as Dork suggested, it might have been a reaction to something you ate or drank. Did someone offer you a taste of some special dish? May have been wonderful at the time, but could have used an ingredient or spice that your system wasn't compatible with. I've got a friend who's allergic to certain kinds of peppers, with some he's fine and with others he gets symptoms like you describe.

Second, if you took any drugs that could have been a possibility. A few different substances 'out there' can cause those who imbibe to gnash teeth, or unconsciously bite one's tongue (gnawing on the sides, etc). Sometimes it's not even the drug being taken, but another substance that was used to cut/mix the drug that was taken.

Those are just a couple thoughts - of course it's impossible to say. Odds are if your body is so sensitive to the alkali in the playa dust that the trace amounts that get in your system through your hydration pack's bit, you'd be covered in sores & blisters from the dust coming into contact with your skin (to say nothing of what gets into your nasal passages or eyes).

~Trilo~

Glittering Clitoris

Post by Glittering Clitoris » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:11 pm

canker sore?

Bit Lip?

Overstimulated tongue?

Where on your tongue was the sore?

I have an itch right here can you lick it?

Sorry I got off base on that one.

Like you said its a hot topic!

You might actually have "Rave Tongue"

LoloMojo

Playa Tongue

Post by LoloMojo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:27 am

I appreciate all of the feedback both silly and earnest. You guys rawk. Wish me luck with my tongue this year.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”