Stag Camp

Red Vixen
Burning Since: 2005

What happened to the new stag camp

Post by Red Vixen » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:03 pm

Looks like this is turning into a guys only trade camp or did I miss something here?

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:17 pm

It's only turning out to be a guys camp because no females other then yourself have expressed an interest-guess they're scared :roll: . The trade thing is coming out because (insert male chauvinist remark) not too many women welders out there :D . But hey, what do I know, I'm a nurse! Let the Gaylord Focker jokes begin now...Seriously, I would love to see some women in the camp, help get rid of the creepy single guy factor 8)
"Salt em and leave their little beef jerky asses laying around as a testament to the other little mother fuckers that are lurking in the shadows!" Big Worm

Red Vixen

Post by Red Vixen » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:16 pm

I just sent a reply but it didn't take.
Anyway, to attract some :roll: y other ladies, you might consider another name. No "stage"nation going on in this camp.

I'm still working on my ride share situation, but glad you hunks have a plan and the muscle to put it all together. Hopefully I can make a contribution too.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:59 pm

It's only Stag in the sense of 'going by one's self.' Anyone who's attracted to that is welcome. Even redheaded viking gals.

As for the map, yeah, the streetside is the bottom of the diagram. Truck and booth are on the same side, yes, which is north and so Motsky's truck is in the middle of the south side of the camp.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:08 pm

Wohoo! Camp faces The Man. Not that I'm too hyped up on The Man this year. It's about Community (Drink)!!
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Red Vixen

Women recruits

Post by Red Vixen » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:37 pm

Hey Sam, I think I would really to be part of this camp... I could be the redheaded dorm mom. Has the location been finalized? ... I recommend somewhere around 8:45 and the 2nd or 3rd street from the end. Have you decided who will be there first to stake out the area?

I've had some females e-me to find out if this is a guys only camp, so the name is still through them off. I'd be willing to recruit as I work out my transportation plans. Are you planning for a community kitchen area? I'm a good cook.... If you can plan for ladies dressing area and a porta pottie you'd be golden. I love to costume, but need a place for makeup, hairpieces, etc.

Hey Som, don't forget to bring a bike. I'd love to give you tour... Tell your wife not to worry. I'm a 53 yr old mom and grandmom... but loves to party.

Red Vixen

Post by Red Vixen » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:51 pm

I just checked out the street names. Anyone willing to consider Jungle and 8:45?

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:02 pm

I don't have a problem with anyone being part of the camp if you're going to be recruiting. I don't imagine that it would be any trouble to set up a lady's costume area. It's easy to tarp a spot off...if you get confirmed campers, you should post how many you have just so we can continue expanding the footprint accordingly.

On that note, I think if we need to expand, we should expand to the rear (away from the street/into the block) for the sake of other camps. As for the camp site itself, I think everyone's agreed on the tentative 7 - 9 zone, but two and three streets in - if it's like last year - are probably going to be stuffed with registered theme camps. I think E or F are safe(r) bets...it might even be tough that far back.

I don't think we've talked about a community kitchen area. If we did that, I cast my vote for it being totally casual. I'd like to stay away from formal meal times so that everyone can keep the hours they wish. I think that having a group kitchen is a great idea, though, in that it keeps camp better organized.

motskyroonmatick
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:22 am

Redhead Viking Gal,
I think its great that you want to be part of Stag camp and I welcome you and any one who wants to join us.

My shade structure goes to the ground and is fairly private. I have no problem respecting anyones modesty level and every Stagger is welcome to use it as a dressing/costume area if they wan't to.

It may shape up that I am the first Stagger on Playa. If so my priorities for actual camp location will be to find first a big enough area for all of us. Secondly within reasonable distance of the portapoties. Third if at all possible on a corner. This will be using the guidelines of 7 to 9 on or near f street. If there is open prime realestate on E I will go for it. I will try to have the camp face the man and will register the camp at playa info as soon as reasonably possible. I will make a sign that says Stag Camp on it and post it on the street side of camp. Two signs if camp is on a corner.

I am leaving on a rafting trip in the morning and so I will be off line for a while. I like the way things are shaping up and I look forward to catching up when I get back.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:32 pm

I just scored a large orange aviation windsock (donated unknowlingly from my soon to be ex employer :twisted: ). Will be flying that at the camp to help land all Stags and Stagettes! I'm sure we will have more then enough resources to put up a sheltered privacy/changing area. Don't think too many want to see my glowing white ass.
Thanks for the tour offer, definitely will take you up on that! I've got some lighting already scored for my bike, just need to find one at the local garage sales.
"Salt em and leave their little beef jerky asses laying around as a testament to the other little mother fuckers that are lurking in the shadows!" Big Worm

sputnik
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:34 pm

I think my girl and I will be camped near you folks.
It's going to be alright.

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:36 pm

Cool! Read lots of your posts, look forward to meeting ya.

Red Vixen

Marking the territory

Post by Red Vixen » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:20 pm

I may be going in early... very early to be a greeter on Friday with a veteran burnerette from Hawaii. Not sure how the greeters camp works, but maybe I can stake out the camp for you, whether we stay with you stags or not.... I will keep you posted as...

I had my doubts but I'm starting to warm up to idea.. : )

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:33 pm

Yo, Redheaded Viking Gal: I have tried to send you several PMs about our placement, and even though it shows "message sent", it is still in my Out Box (along with several other personal messages). Have you received it? I sent it today, Thursday July 19th.

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:59 pm

Yo, get yer own Viking girl, sheeesh. 8)

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:13 pm

Maps out! Thanks MikeVDS. I'm casting my vote for the 8:45 spot on F or right at the corner of F and 8:30

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:24 pm

I'll let you Vets decide the locale. My only question/thought/input is whether a corner would be better since we're going to grab a large spot plus Mots trailer/shelter size.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:51 pm

The only reason I think a corner would be cool is that it would make Motsky's welding service a little more accessible. You're right, though...if we're in-block, we'd probably be able to back build a little more easily.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:55 pm

And Somni, I don't think I've ever said so, but your avatar's classic.

plowman

Post by plowman » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:32 pm

Well the boss finally signed my request for Mon & Tues. so I think I will have the whole week off. The wildfires in this area are finally under control. Working 18 hour shifts the past 6 days might have conviced him to give me what I want.
I will be arriving Sunday afternoon and wait in line until they open the gates.

SerendipitySuz

Post by SerendipitySuz » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:50 am

Fat SAM wrote:Yeah. This is a definite. I don't think we need to really register or anything...It's not a proper Theme Camp with events and stuff but just a bunch of people camping under the theme of being stag.

I say once we figure out how many are going to be in the camp, whoever gets out there first ropes off an appropriately sized area and puts up a sign as near to the predetermined location as possible.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Count me in when you count your camp members! I've read posts from one or two other women who are going stag ... I'll check with them, too. :)

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:17 am

Thanks Sam, found that avatar and thought it was cool. I've got a completely politically incorrect "Steve Irwin vs stingray" action avatar but can't resize it. Had some weenie mod from another forum pull it on me one time (some people take themselves to seriously).

I actually was on your track by thinking the corner would be better for Mots welding setup.

Hey Suz, that's great. Get those ladies butts in gear and let's get this bad boy going!

Plowman, good to hear. Stay safe, the fires have been a bitch this year.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:31 am

Welcome to Stag Camp, Suz!

Red Vixen

I'm back...

Post by Red Vixen » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:20 pm

I've been sick guys and just not up to this but now I'm on the mend. I ran across a group coming from LA with a 26 ft RV, who need a camp but not arriving until Tuesday. Can you plot them into the camp map? Has the earliest arriver been id'd?

plowman

Post by plowman » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:21 pm

I hope to get there Sunday sometime. They might open the gates early. I could get there Friday but they won't let me in. You have to be on the early arrival list. If you are not on the list, don't even try, all it does is make the greeters job more difficult

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:35 pm

I'm on the early arrival for 8/26 (Sunday), but I think Mots said he was going to be earlier. As for the RV, I think they have to park in the designated RV section if I'm remembering correctly. If not, hell, the more the merrier!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:52 pm

Designated RV section? Ah, huh? Nooo ... just not in reserved theme camp areas and not in walk-in camping. It's all on the map.

Fat SAM

Re: I'm back...

Post by Fat SAM » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:28 pm

redheaded viking gal wrote:I've been sick guys and just not up to this but now I'm on the mend. I ran across a group coming from LA with a 26 ft RV, who need a camp but not arriving until Tuesday. Can you plot them into the camp map? Has the earliest arriver been id'd?
If you're vouching for them as cool, campworthy people, then sure, they're welcome and can be plotted onto the map. It would be great if you could refer them to the Stag post here so that we can all meet them and get to know them a little beforehand, though, and make sure that everyone approves.

Can you find out if they're bringing shade structures? Keeps me abreast on the carpet situation and more importantly, I'm trying to keep track of everything that's going to be on the actual map and not just the footprint itself. Which brings me to my next question...

If it's not too much trouble, could everyone post the size of their tents, roughly? It's not a huge deal, but it seems proper to take up only the space we need. Naturally, I'm not talking about sticking the tents together like apartments, but having a huge space and not filling it seems unnecessary.

I'm just going to have a little two person dome, something like 6' diameter, and probably a little room for a shoe/dust mat by the door.

emotion_sickness
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp in 2007

Post by emotion_sickness » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:26 pm

hi folks...i was working on a similar camp idea for virgins who were planning on coming alone... see this thread:

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=19148

so anyway i was wondering if we could join up with your camp since I have only got maybe 5 people tops on the definite "Yes's", and since the themes of our 2 camps sound pretty much identical, except i was gonna have a more virgin-friendly take on it since it'll be my first year too...

i was thinking that having an official "Theme camp" was a lot for a virgin to take on and it would be more interesting to just kind of get together and see what sort of organic relationships and interactions occur when individuals come together. Anyways I hope this'll work out? Lemme know!
Why?

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:38 pm

Sam, I'll be putting a 10x10 carport over the bed of my truck where my tent will be located. It's a big truck, so very little in the way of overhang. I've got the 20x16 but will only bring it if the group needs/requests it. I am searching for a cheap sofa and a rug of some sort for the common area. If others are bringing one and I don't have to, lets find out now, as again I'm coming a looong distance. I'll also have a 55gal non-potable water container (filled)and probably another smaller empty one for waste water. Also bringing a small chimonea and some firewood. I have a good supply of oak that I cut myself over the last year so if others in camp need some, I could bring depending on how much bed space I've got left in the truck. Of course I'll also be bringing the requisite coolers, food, water, misc that all should be prepared with.

I think everyone should start posting up their lists (of major items) so we might keep redundancy to a minimum and can maximize our available space.

Almost forgot, welcome to camp Emotion, follow along on our journey, it's starting to get bigger then imagined (I think) :D :shock:

Return to “2007 Theme Camps”