What was the best gift you ever got at Burning Man?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Major Mallet
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: PlayaWaste Raiders

What was the best gift you ever got at Burning Man?

Post by Major Mallet » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:55 pm

What was the best gift you ever received at Burning Man?
Back to Burn in 2016 or Bust!

Tapestry
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Hair of the Dog

Post by Tapestry » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:06 pm

A couple of years ago, I lost my Swiss Army knife somewhere on the playa. I'd carried that thing for years. It was a gift, and meant a lot to me. During the Exodus, a stranger passing by just handed me a pocket knife! He said I looked like I needed one, and then he disappeared. It still amazes me to think about it.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:59 pm

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but the one that comes to mind first is the great big skull-and-crossbones flag for the Playa Cruiser, from Sensei a few years ago.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:59 pm

Not sure whether it really counts as a gift, unless you support the "Cosmos as a gift-giving entity" theory...

I was riding back across the Playa from Critical Tits last year. I saw something water-coloured laying on the Playa and cruised over to it. It was a nice silky sarong in turquoise with rainbow-coloured OMs in shri yantras on it.

During CT, I'd caught my own sarong in the spokes of my bike and it got ripped up. I felt that this was the Universe paying me back for that mess-up. I happily picked the sarong up and it has a pride-of-place in my Regular Wear drawer.

That Playa Sarong is tied for first place with the C.A.R.E. box Anti-M collected and sent me when I missed the '05 Burn owing to cancer!! I opened it when I got home from the hospital and I swear to Ghod, it was better than Christmas. Mom and I were both giddy as I went through and discovered goodies aplenty from my friends in the desert! Image
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

meyouseek

Post by meyouseek » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:38 pm

A huge bag of homemade beef jerky.

No cosmic connection... other than I love beef jerky.

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:27 pm

All the nice people I have met there and the friendships made, along with memories of unbelievable sights, sounds and activities that cannot be adequately described to others/outsiders/nonburners.
:D :D :D :D :D

and I promised not to tell............
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:57 am

big fat honking spliff from an attractive young couple while sitting on one of the sofas at Star Fuckers Last Year...and of course the Crappacino made by whoever the genuis is who brings Star Fuckers to the playa.

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:29 am

2005 was a rough year. My camp came together at the end but spent the first half of the week arguing and not following through with our agreements. And I wracked up an impressive list of injuries, some of which I'll have scars from for the rest of my life. By the time we were cleaning up after exodus I was eager to get home and equally eager to never come back.

As a group of us were working on cleaning up a beautiful, naked, woman wandered into camp and as had happened over and over again in the two weeks before I lost all my helper monkeys. Once a hot naked woman wandered by everyone who was supposed to be working with me (men and women both) were off to flirt, offer her various consumables, and otherwise party instead of working. It had been going on all week and was driving me three kinds of bat shit. But this time things went a bit differently.

I don't know if she was tired of all the attention, liked assholes, or what, but she was having nothing to do with all the attention and gifts my horny camp mates were offering. Instead she followed me around while I continued to work and asked me how my burn was going. "Shitty, " I answered, "And I can't wait to get home." It was apparent that she didn't hear that often and spent the next hour or so talking to me while I worked.

A few hours later we had loaded up a caravan of trucks to take a bunch of junk to the Reno landfill, driving past both the local land fill and the org dumpster that were closed to us. It's a drive of about 80 miles, each way, and I was looking forward to getting the hell off the playa. As we slowly pulled out of camp I saw that same woman and she flagged us down. Still naked, still spacy, she now had a plate of hot food and gave it to me through my driver side window. As I took the food she grabbed my arm and placed a warm kiss on my inner wrist. The imprint of her lips burned on my skin for the entire drive to the dump.

I was flabbergasted and, literally, sat there gasping for a second. That year we were neighbors to the Temple crew and David Best quickly came out of his camp and ushered her away. "You can't just wander around naked kissing people," he said in that concerned way men speak when they're trying to demonstrate how sensitive they are to a woman they're hoping to lay. Our trash caravan pulled out and one of my camp mates called out to him, "It's OK David, we're safe."

By the time I hit the blacktop I'd decided that I'd be back the next year. That kiss was the best gift I ever got on playa. It spoke of hope, concern, responsibility, and purpose in a way that nothing else ever has, to me. As I think about it I can still feel her lips on my wrist and I hope to never forget that feeling. The playa is a tease and a more and that was the year she got me hard.

Thanks for the question and the excuse to wander down a happy memory lane.

Ron

third person perspective

Post by third person perspective » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:31 am

was gifted tickets three distinct years, lastly

EB
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:55 am

Great story, Ron. Well done.
Irony. You're soaking in it.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:12 pm

my God.. Ron, the same exact thing happened to me in 2005. I was feeling crappy and this beautiful naked woman appears out of nowhere with a silver salver full of delicious things to eat. The light reflecting off the tray dazzled me for a moment the way mid-day sun reflecting off a stream looks like a thousand tiny flashbulbs. She seemed to glide toward me across the burning playa sand as if on an invisible dolly in a Fellini film. I ate of her succulent fruit. She kissed me delicately on the inside of my wrist and it stung with desire. And Passion. Then David Best walked up and tells us both that "it" (whatever that was) was "not our fault." I stepped out of my car and pulled this apparition close. As our heaving breasts rose and fell in building ecstacy, she vanished. Without a trace.

Will Teo del Fuego find his lost angel? Will David Best return to the playa in 2007? Stayed tuned next week for another edition of Uncle Theo's Purple Playa Prose!

(Sorry, Im reaaaaly bored at work right now.)

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:26 pm

Cosmos gift:

At the eplaya Meet and Greet of '03 i met my beautiful and loving wife elielieli. We were married by that degenerate lowlife Doc Pyro at his BDC&WB in '05, and later that fall by a real life pastor (who also happens to be my father-in-law). She truly is a gift that never stops giving. Thanks eli, I love you.

Gift gift:

After I shut down the Gender Blender Bar I went to a friend's camp and we hung out and I drank and at about 11:00 or so PM I realized I hadn't eaten for a long time. I was wondering back to my camp in the midst of a really bad suger crash wondering what i was going to eat when a beautiful woman came out and asked if I would like a hot meal. It was from Camp Renault. I went in and ate a delicious, healthy and bountiful meal, and once recharged I stepped back out onto the street where I promptly bumped into my friends who I had left earlier to go get something to eat.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

the fire elf
Burning Since: 2002

Post by the fire elf » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:59 pm

an evil peter pan doll hanging by the road
instantiate vacuous truth

mayavin

Post by mayavin » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:01 pm

well, she started with just randomly giving me her hand to hold
sphera spinning circa gradually midst photon shaft grazing electron soo flit while neutron's gazing

Major Mallet
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: PlayaWaste Raiders

Post by Major Mallet » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:36 pm

Wow - Ron, I never quite expected that type of reply to my question. Here I was looking for ideas for something to hand out to others and I get stories that are much more beautiful and interesting than anything I could have imagined. This will be my first burn and, oddly enough, I find myself longing to be at place that I have never been before. Stories like yours (and others I have been told) remind me that the most beautiful and meaningful things are indeed the simplest. I am really happy to hear that you had that experience. I just can't wait to be on the playa. Just can't wait.

uberfox

did you say hot food?

Post by uberfox » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:29 pm

I was in my mid-week slump.. it was Wednesday night or so, dinner didn't really satisfy, i was in a bad mood, wandering down the street, when a girl in a dress came up out of nowhere and asked "are you hungry?" "Yes!" She handed me a hot pulled-pork sandwich, and a napkin and send me on my way. I devoured that thing. It pulled me out of my mood slump, and I went off to join some friends and had a great night.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:50 pm

Ron wrote:2005 was a rough year. My camp came together at the end but spent the first half of the week arguing and not following through with our agreements. And I wracked up an impressive list of injuries, some of which I'll have scars from for the rest of my life. By the time we were cleaning up after exodus I was eager to get home and equally eager to never come back.

As a group of us were working on cleaning up a beautiful, naked, woman wandered into camp and as had happened over and over again in the two weeks before I lost all my helper monkeys. Once a hot naked woman wandered by everyone who was supposed to be working with me (men and women both) were off to flirt, offer her various consumables, and otherwise party instead of working. It had been going on all week and was driving me three kinds of bat shit. But this time things went a bit differently.

I don't know if she was tired of all the attention, liked assholes, or what, but she was having nothing to do with all the attention and gifts my horny camp mates were offering. Instead she followed me around while I continued to work and asked me how my burn was going. "Shitty, " I answered, "And I can't wait to get home." It was apparent that she didn't hear that often and spent the next hour or so talking to me while I worked.

A few hours later we had loaded up a caravan of trucks to take a bunch of junk to the Reno landfill, driving past both the local land fill and the org dumpster that were closed to us. It's a drive of about 80 miles, each way, and I was looking forward to getting the hell off the playa. As we slowly pulled out of camp I saw that same woman and she flagged us down. Still naked, still spacy, she now had a plate of hot food and gave it to me through my driver side window. As I took the food she grabbed my arm and placed a warm kiss on my inner wrist. The imprint of her lips burned on my skin for the entire drive to the dump.

I was flabbergasted and, literally, sat there gasping for a second. That year we were neighbors to the Temple crew and David Best quickly came out of his camp and ushered her away. "You can't just wander around naked kissing people," he said in that concerned way men speak when they're trying to demonstrate how sensitive they are to a woman they're hoping to lay. Our trash caravan pulled out and one of my camp mates called out to him, "It's OK David, we're safe."

By the time I hit the blacktop I'd decided that I'd be back the next year. That kiss was the best gift I ever got on playa. It spoke of hope, concern, responsibility, and purpose in a way that nothing else ever has, to me. As I think about it I can still feel her lips on my wrist and I hope to never forget that feeling. The playa is a tease and a more and that was the year she got me hard.

Thanks for the question and the excuse to wander down a happy memory lane.

Ron
Wow... that was beautiful.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:51 pm

My friend- a virgin- and I went on a journey out to Temple on the camp art car...On our way back she was telling me she had to smudge her house when she got home....the words had just come out of her mouth when she was HIT in THE HEAD with a smudge stick....Another time I was hanging with one camp and a lady said "Do you want this cake??" It was a big beatiful Cake...I said No and she was about to throw it in the garbage....WAIT I'll take to our friends at BLACKIES BAR AND GRILL...I took and put it on a table at the other camp- When I came Back There was a girl crying over the cake...I was like r u ok... she said It's my birthday and I was just saying that the only thing missing was a birthday cake... we all gathered around and sang Happy Birthday and ate Cake!!!! Funny how THE PLAYA PROVIDES all you have to do is ask!!!!!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:56 pm

my best gift was my first year when I relized there were wonderful, polite, Helpful people still in the world Thank You BRC citzens for giving me my hope for humans BACK
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:22 pm

Ok, Major Mallet... I went back and dug up one of my favorite gift stories. Its short and sweet:
Chai Guy wrote:This went down as THE best gift I have ever received in my 6 years of attending Burning Man. -
I met a girl named Free Kittens ( which by the way if you are reading this, or know Free Kittens, please email me! Thanks) anyway, Free Kittens and I were taking a stroll, picking up Moop and sharing a lovely conversation when she offered me a gift. She pulled back her coat to reveal a utility belt- ammo pouch kind of thing and asked me to choose one pouch. I pointed to one and then she asked me to close my eyes, I did and instinctively held out my hand. "Oh no" she said, "This isn't tactile" and then proceeded to hold up to my ear a tiny music box that played the most wonderful melody. This HUGE smile engulfed my face and I was transported on the most amazing journey while listening to that simple mechanical device.

I must say the best gift ever, indeed! Thanks Free Kittens! : )

From this four year old thread that may also interest you:

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?p=6447#6447
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:51 pm

Last year I was given a pair of fake fur pants from a my friends wife. She made them for me and they were great! They were nicknamed "jealous pants" because my buddy was rather jealous she made them for me and not him. A few days later we were on the Playa driving in the art car late on Tuesday evening. On Jumped a couple of extremely cool chicks from Oregon and one was wearing these kick ass faux fur pants that were multi colored and tipped in a grey fur that were amazing. I was rather envious but we all hit it off and a hour later one of the girls said she made another pair that might fit me and she had them back at camp. Low an behold I was gifted a fine pair of faux fur pants 2 times in the same week! They are called "Envy Pants" and that was my greatest gift from the playa. Thank you Carlee!

PS-nothing sexier than 2 girls telling you to take off your pants...nice! Another story

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:24 pm

i mak good tatoo 4 jpx!!!

EB
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:59 am

Here's the thing. It wasn't exactly a gift.

Back in the heady days of '04, my girlfriend and I spent forever making EL wire stick figure costumes from a stolen idea I'd seen a year earlier. Hers was all pink with a yellow hair and a triangle skirt and mine was all blue. From a distance, at night, we were a cute little couple, a big tall guy in blue holding hands in with a little pink girl. We had our picture taken (flash off!) many times and both felt pretty fucking good about ourselves.

So, we wander into SPIKES VAMPIRE BAR just off the Center Camp Circle for re-charge. I'd seen a web page about spikes, a how-to on the bar being built and when I saw it on the playa, the brand recognition forced me to say "hey, I've heard about this place."

We go in, and it's like vampire goth EVERYWHERE. To the point where drinks were served from IV bags. It was awesome. Every detail was perfect. But it's kind of like, well, a biker bar, in the way that there's a certain vibe being created. A tough, goth vibe.

So my cute girlfriend and I walk in in our little outfits and stroll up to the bar. Every eye is on us. If there was a piano player, he would've stopped mid-song. We both look around, our EL WIRE blinking and i put my cup on the bar. My girl does the same.

The bartender, a big dude, kind of angry, looks at both of us. "Yeah?"

I say, "Two please!"

He looks at me, and I swear to god, says: "We don't serve El Wire."

It takes me a moment to process exactly what he was saying, and I ask him to repeat what he said and he does. My girl's now creeped out she reaches for her driver and tries to turn her el wire off. But instead, she just turns it to "Blink." So now her costume is blinking (Distress!) and I've got to figure out if this guy is just fucking with me or if I've made some horrible, horrible mistake. We lock eyes for a moment and, damn, if you've ever locked eyes with a true goth then you know.

They LIVE to lock eyes with people! He stared me down and I turned to my girl and said we should get out of there. We did and right quick. Later, with perspective, I realized that the bartender, if not bluffing outright, was probably just yanking my chain and the atmosphere of the bar (which is awesome) was mostly created in my mind.

But still, I felt fear, like in a western. A stranger in a strange land. And that, my friends, is the best gift I've ever received on the playa.
Irony. You're soaking in it.

sunn

Post by sunn » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:22 pm

My guy and I were out on the playa one night and it was getting really cold. We stopped to warm our hands on one of the random firepits and I said to him, "Now if I just had marshmallows to roast I'd be in heaven."

He didn't hear me because at the exact second I said that, he was turned away. When he turned around he said, "Look what someone left as a gift!"

I couldn't believe it...he was holding a bag of marshmallows with a roasting stick.

One of those playa things that randomly happen, but so cool.

Dusty Feats

Post by Dusty Feats » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:13 pm

[quote="EB"]Here's the thing. It wasn't exactly a gift.

Snipped: An over the top scenario, a few posts above, ending with:

But still, I felt fear, like in a western. A stranger in a strange land. And that, my friends, is the best gift I've ever received on the playa.[/quote]

And, at this very moment, that read was a gift to me! Grokking often renders in hindsight. :D

Green Wood

Post by Green Wood » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:19 am

SEX!

Lots of it, too
I might be green, but I can burn brite with the help of my playa friends!

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:53 am

Best gift I get?

Is sanity - I am lucky enough to see all kinds of horrors at work, I dwell on them, see pictures in my head. and cen hear, smell, and feel scenes.

I am lucky if I sleep 3-4 hours on a good night, and have done so my entire life Just the way I am so I have a lot of time to think.

At BM, I dance, sing, walk naked, work ESD, explore, meet people, laugh, am amazed, am bewildered, rarely shocked now, eat and drink to excess, see firends I only get to see once a year, play with fire, get dusty, sunburned, and have a blast. Thats the greatest gift I get at BM

later
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Kers

Post by Kers » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:08 pm

My friend Moses.
We were camping at the same place when we met in 2000.

He and his Girlfriend let me live with them when I was out of work later

7 years later even though we live in different cities, I like to think that we are there for each other.
2000, 2001, 2003, 2007

playa_surfer

Post by playa_surfer » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:49 am

It was the '04 burn.
3 great gifts.

1. I was granting wishes to dozens of Goddesses. My muscles ached from massaging, shampooing, conditioning, brushing, rubbing, shaving, *******...
One Goddess who had major back issues was blown away by my technique and asked if I accepted gifts. I told her, "sure".
She disappeared for an hour or so and returned with a gift.
It was a custom blended massage oil she blended which she named, "Bliss". Because it was how I made her feel. Just for me. Then I got a massage. I smelled divine.
=)

2. Then another day I got sprayed with some "special spray" while surfing on the "Playa Surfer" one hot afternoon. By the time I got back to camp I was seeing fluorescent colors trailing everything I looked at. Acid I guess.??
http://www.grubbenterprises.com/burningman/Berk021.jpg

3. A Playa Goddess decided she wanted to snuggle up for one evening. 3 or 4 days later she found another. =) Ahhhh, the stories I could tell.

chrispburn

Post by chrispburn » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:31 am

just a couple off the top of my head.

one year, after feeling exhausted from making the drive out to the playa by myself, setting up camp, including a huge shared shade structure, (I was really really wiped...

a neighbor that I had just met invited me and guest over for dinner. And I mean DINNER! Candles on the table. A table cloth. Wine GLASSES. REAL PLATES. HIS GRANDMOTHER's silver!!!

and the food... REAL non-playa food. A salad. Poached Salmon and vegetables. DESSERT -- some sort of bananas foster thing.

It was a beautiful gift that he shared with folks each night. He loved to cook, so this is what he did - built a gourmet kitchen. He also gifted my best friend similarly the next year - after my poor, virgin friend naively agreed to my skimpy food plan of slim fast and power bars. You'd think he'd never eaten cooked food when on day 5 he comes back with a huge ecstatic smile.

As far as object gifts -- one year, a friend and I dressed up as sad hotel housekeepers, went around our village on the post-burn Sunday morning, and really put on a full act. "Look at this mess - it's so dusty. We really need to clean up these rooms. There a huge Dental convention coming in this afternoon. We have so much work..." After a few beverages were offered, one guy in particular was so entertained, he asked us to wait while he retrieved something. He returned with a little felt pouch and handed one to each of us. Being a little distracted, we didn't fully explore the gift, but thanked him very much. He realized he didn't get it (feel so foolish now - but remember, we'd already enjoyed a number of gift cocktails and beers in about 20 minutes...

It was a simple silver pendant on a chord. It was lovely. We really appreciated it and thanked him. Upon return to the default world, I started wearing it all the time. People really admired it, and one person recognized it as a "designer" item. Which was another layer to the gift. Then I looked online and found out more about it - again, almost like another gift - or another "surprise" layer.

Turns out it is a silver pendant, and it is inscribed with the word "peace" in sanskrit (shanti). I wear it every single day, and still get many comments, as it is so simple, but yet so beautiful. Yet admirers will never understand the beauty of the moment in which I received it. That is something I will treasure always. That our simple, silly little interaction entertained someone so much, and the pleasure that he received in giving us this gift.

so I would say, if there is something special, and it doesn't even have to be tangible, that moves you -- well, that will come across to the recipient, and that is the best gift of all.

Return to “Stories”