Zipper troubles!

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
tapioka

Zipper troubles!

Post by tapioka » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:24 pm

hey y'all,
who's got the perfect Heloise tip for fixing or treating the inevitable tent zipper situation that starts happening on about day 4? three different tents all give me the same trouble. they gradually become harder and harder to zip, develop snags, and then start splitting after the snags. is there a playa-tested zipper lube that doesn't just gum up with dust and make matters worse? having a zipper completely fail would be terrible, especially since this is destined to be an exceptionally dusty year...
help?

phil

Post by phil » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:58 pm

It's not going to be an exceptionally dusty year.

I use bike-chain lube on my zipper, but be aware that the lube does stain the fabric.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:04 pm

High quality zippers work exceptionally well. I gave up on cheapies a long time ago. If you take care of your gear, the extra money you pay for quality products pays for itself many times over and greatly increase fun and reduces frustration.
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:18 pm

use a pencil lead to appLy apply a small amount of graphed.. it s enough to work and not make a mess.. any oils make a stcky mud that wont go away when miixed with playa dust

add velcro so your not using the zipper as much.. also a back up if the zipper fails..

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:24 pm

Slap your tent around a little bit before entering or exiting, too. A can of compressed air helps blow the dust out of the mechanism and that helps a bit, as well.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:52 pm

Back in the tenting days I used soap. The old slivers of hard, dry soap. Rub it into the zipper teeth. Bring extra cuz the big door zippers can eat the soap quick.

It does not interact or attract dust.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:14 pm

I was going to say you should carefully remove your friend's (or your own) hair from the zipper, being careful not to snag it worse, but I see this is about tents.
May still apply anyway.

Paraffin may work.
I have seen a lube for bike chains that is melted on and then hardens, a wax maybe?
Most tent zippers are just crap.
The dust has nothing to do with it.

Get a good YKK zipper of the right size.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:41 pm

gyre wrote:I was going to say you should carefully remove your friend's (or your own) hair from the zipper, being careful not to snag it worse, but I see this is about tents.
May still apply anyway.

Paraffin may work.
I have seen a lube for bike chains that is melted on and then hardens, a wax maybe?
Most tent zippers are just crap.
The dust has nothing to do with it.

Get a good YKK zipper of the right size.
YKK zippers rock. I've used Beeswax to help cheapo ones. Put it on my camper cover zippers once a year too.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Bambi of Finland

Post by Bambi of Finland » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:52 pm

I use a spray food-grade silicone. I 'm still using the can I bought in '03.I just keep it handy and have not had any dust build-up issues. I've had to use it to get into and out of costumes , zippered boots, tents etc... I would'nt use anything else at this point. It has been too dependable.
Lost in the Forest

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:05 pm

Bambi of Finland wrote:I use a spray food-grade silicone. I 'm still using the can I bought in '03.I just keep it handy and have not had any dust build-up issues. I've had to use it to get into and out of costumes , zippered boots, tents etc... I would'nt use anything else at this point. It has been too dependable.

I use sex grade silicone lube.. before that I used wax for the zippers.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

skibear
Burning Since: 2002

Post by skibear » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:05 am

Candle wax/paraffin or regular hand soap (bar) both work fine.
Rubbed on.

I'll use either, as available

Flammepus

Post by Flammepus » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:24 am

Excellent tip on the spray food-grade silicon! I use YKK #5 zippers and have never had a problem even in dusty years.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”