Looking for billboard vinyl (or other heavy duty cover)

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Don Gately

Looking for billboard vinyl (or other heavy duty cover)

Post by Don Gately » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:38 am

This might belong in Share Resources, but I want to try doing this myself first before I ask for a gift. After realizing that a parachute will probably cause too many problems, I'm trying to get a used billboard or two to cover my shade structure (it's a geometrydome).

But both of the major players in the Bay Area outdoor advertising scene have told me that they're contracted with companies that recycle all their used vinyl. I've been with some camps that shall we say "did not bother the billboard company with annoying questions and just politely and quietly relieved it of its burden of excess used billboards," but I don't have a large enough crew for such a daring adventure--I only have myself and whatever vehicle I can borrow at the time. For those of you who've successfully managed to obtain this material for reuse, how did you negotiate with your source?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:57 am

Er, live in Utah where it's recycled to individuals to cover hay stacks?

I'm sorry, I know that wasn't helpful.

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:48 am

Keep tracing it down the line and try to get it from someone in the system.
Some signs are hung and could be obtained from the companies when they are done.
You could get to know some of the people who take them down and try to get some as they come down.

I got tons of newspaper endrolls, but I had to track it from the big paper to a small one in a nearby town.
When they get done, they gave them to me.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:00 pm

Don. I've used shrink boat wrap in years past to cover a dome. It worked very well but the heat gets trapped even with an A/C unit. The condensation builds. If we were to use it again we would use a breathable fabric because wrap needs to be anchored to the ground or it will be blown like mad.

sylvenwolf

Billboard vinyl suppliers

Post by sylvenwolf » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:33 am

Hi there,

In Seattle, we picked up billboard vinyl for free from Clear Channel. They do provide some of their vinyl for some local artist groups and such, but they still have more. We found their local head's contact info by just putting in a request on their website. Once we got the contact info, we just called the guy up and went to pick up a couple huge billboards the next day. It might be worth seeing if you can get local contact info for their warehouse nearest you or the next couple over, through this method.

If no viable free source comes up, this place: http://www.pointonepremiums.com/ has a variety of sizes and types of used billboard vinyl for sale - pretty reasonable compared to a lot of other covering options, still.

Good luck : - )
EleuBunny

SilverOrange

Post by SilverOrange » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:14 am

Thanks sylvenwolf, just the incentive I needed to get off my ass and contact my local billboard companies. SO

yellowdog

Post by yellowdog » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:35 pm

Seems i remember a mention on e-playa about sourcing the plastic that covers loads of lumber-in-transit from a large home supply store. They probably just throw it away. It's a possible alternative.

mrs yow

billboard vinyl

Post by mrs yow » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:40 pm

someone has a piece of what looks like billboard vinyl for sale on craigslist

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mat/1264146160.html

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:29 pm

Hey Hey Hey, I just got 4 14'X48' BILLBOARDS from Lamar outdoor advertisers, Bakersfield Ca. $20 bucks each.. They have tons right now..Look up your in your area.... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”