Burningman and the Bible

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed May 05, 2004 2:44 pm

It would seem a little hypocritical for me to do that, wouldn't it?

Although there sure are a lot of people willing to take fantastic fairy tales as gospel, even ones everyone knows were made up (scientology?), and a lot of people make a good living spreading the "word"...

Join with me, Saint Goddammit, and the Holy Church of the Presumptious Assumption and the Bright White Blinding Light. Image
We are, by the way, leaving out that part in the obsolete bible about nailing my ass to a cross... or nailing my ass at all...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

ronski

FST

Post by ronski » Wed May 05, 2004 2:53 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:the Holy Church of the Presumptious Assumption and the Bright White Blinding Light.
Har. Love the Firesign reference. That really dates you Capt D (and me).

Shoes for Industry, compadre....

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Wed May 05, 2004 2:54 pm

joel the ornery wrote:I thought the survival guide for first-timers guide http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/ was the burning man bible.

Why didn't I get a memo?

Damn! Get back to work.
Good enough to be said once again.

Captain Goddammit

Re: FST

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed May 05, 2004 3:19 pm

ronski wrote:Har. Love the Firesign reference. That really dates you Capt D (and me).
Well, Saint Goddammit WAS born way back in the mid-60s...
Hey, would my birthday get to be Goddammitmas?

KellY

Post by KellY » Wed May 05, 2004 7:19 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Well, yeah... sorry, I get pretty opinionated sometimes, I bet I'd like you in person. That was a little over the top.
Apology accepted. Thank you. We'll have to hang out this burn sometime.

I do politely disagree with yuo re: Rush's signifigance. My biggest problem with him is not his opolitics but that he keeps claiming that he's relaying facts, when in truth he's lying through his teeth. If he just said "This is my opinion" it wouldn't be so bad, but there are millions of people who listen and believe him, and therefore think that there's no such thing as global warming (for instance) - and vote and act accordingly.
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed May 05, 2004 8:36 pm

Naah, you're giving Rush too much credit. I doubt he's actually converted many democrats to the right.
I have a job where I can listen to the radio a lot, used to listen to his show 'cuz he was funny and entertaining. And each party will have it's cheerleaders, that's our system. I don't agree with all of his views, but I don't think he's dangerous. And since he's an entertainer and not a journalist, he's allowed to lie all he wants.
And of course, his credibility took a pretty big hit lately...

Steven bradford

Post by Steven bradford » Wed May 05, 2004 9:36 pm

Santa is the one true Deity. After all, he's the only one who really delivers the goods, every year, like clockwork. On a holiday no less.
Steve

Paint or Be Painted
http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/Body_Painting_Technique.html

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Thu May 06, 2004 12:30 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Naah, you're giving Rush too much credit. I doubt he's actually converted many democrats to the right.
Ga. Sen. Zell Miller blasts Kerry at 'Democrats for Bush' rally
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat May 08, 2004 1:11 pm

Interesting and relavant, but still dunno if you can credit Rush Limbaugh for that.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm

Dont know How I came across this but..........bump!

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:20 pm

Well What do ya know, who would have thoght.

It all started with a burning bush. and next thing yo know we have Burning Man! Everything in between seems to have been garbled in translation though!

:D
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Glittering Clitoris

Post by Glittering Clitoris » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:23 am

Bible, burns as good as wood!

That's a great Idea! Burn as man made out of bibles.

AZ
I BURN for YOU!

mayavin

Post by mayavin » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:03 pm

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:37 pm

and so it came to pass, that under a dark and bloody moon, an apostate, a former INNER CIRCLE member, decieved by the dark cacophany of his soul, burned the man, and all that he had come to stand for..

the people were confused, the gatekeepers knew not what the fuck was going on, possibly it WAS saturday and that WASNT DMT that they took...

chaos and much trepidation followed.

But like Gideon, and his 300 followers, the Mighty Warriors, the DPW, RESURRECTED THE MAN, IN 3 DAYS no less, and so it was, The man was burned, he rose from his own ashes and 3 days later, he was burned AGAIN!

what happened during that fateful week is still under analysis and up to interpretation, but along with the four gospels according to Larry, Lady Bee, Crimson and Will, the story is as true as the Golden Plates that they're written on...
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:09 am

please send $225 to save the man, again....for less than a DOLLAR a day, you too can further the work of this great ministry, and be assured that BMLLC will pray for you and yours, and that you WILL receive the blessings of the Man, and all that comes with it....
Frida Be You & Me

Mr. Opportunity

Post by Mr. Opportunity » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:50 am

mayavin wrote:Image
Stand up my friend.

Come and watch the show with me.
I am going vegan.
You can still eat souls, right?
Those are vegan. I think.

Mr. Opportunity

Post by Mr. Opportunity » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:51 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:and so it came to pass, that under a dark and bloody moon, an apostate, a former INNER CIRCLE member, decieved by the dark cacophany of his soul, burned the man, and all that he had come to stand for..
Simon stand up and be counted.
I am going vegan.

Mr. Opportunity

Post by Mr. Opportunity » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:54 am

Glittering Clitoris wrote:Bible, burns as good as wood!
BURN YOUR OWN BIBLE BITCH! BURN YOUR OWN! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE MAKING FUCKING DECISIONS ABOUT OTHERS! DON'T FUCK WITH ANOTHERS! THIS IS AMERICA THIS IS FREEDOM OF RELIGION!
I am going vegan.

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Re: Burningman and the Bible

Post by mdmf007 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:35 am

DE FACTO wrote:The word "Bible" was a word used for lack of better words, however; since Burningman has grown to the point of being it's own entity with it's own city would there be any advantage to create a "Bible" ? What would be in it?

Just food for thought.
I think this is getting loud and violent. A BM bible? wouldnt a "BM for Dummies" be more appropriate?

just my thoughts.

World Power Foundation

Post by World Power Foundation » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:56 am

Excitement is more important than equality.
Thousands of people are being sacrificed every day. Why not have them sacrificed for you?

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:36 pm

BURN YOUR OWN BIBLE BITCH! BURN YOUR OWN! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE MAKING FUCKING DECISIONS ABOUT OTHERS! DON'T FUCK WITH ANOTHERS! THIS IS AMERICA THIS IS FREEDOM OF RELIGION!
Cheezus, someone get on the bat phone and call Team Prozac.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:49 pm

Is it a full moon tonight? Maybe they left the door open in the psych ward. Lots of nuts around right now.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:12 pm

Isotopia wrote:
Cheezus, someone get on the bat phone and call Team Prozac.

Anti-depressants 'of little use'

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7264486.stm

New generation anti-depressants have little clinical benefit for most patients, research suggests.

There seems little reason to prescribe anti-depressant medication to any but the most severely depressed patients

The researchers accept many people believe the drugs do work for them, but argue that could be a placebo effect - people feel better simply because they are taking a medication which they think will help them.

In total, the Hull team, who published their findings in the journal PLoS Medicine, reviewed data on 47 clinical trials.
They reviewed published clinical trial data, and unpublished data secured under Freedom of Information legislation.
They focused on drugs which work by increasing levels of the mood controlling chemical serotonin in the brain.

These included fluoxetine (Prozac) and paroxetine (Seroxat), from the class known as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs), alongside another similar drug called venlafaxine (Efexor) - all commonly prescribed in the UK.

The number of prescriptions for anti-depressants hit a record high of more than 31 million in England in 2006 - even though official guidance stresses they should not be a first line treatment for mild depression.

There were 16.2m prescriptions for SSRIs alone.

The researchers found that the drugs did have a positive impact on people with mild depression - but the effect was no bigger than that achieved by giving patients a sugar-coated "dummy" pill.

People with severe symptoms appeared to gain more clear-cut benefit - but this might be more down to the fact that they were less likely to respond to the placebo pill, rather than to respond positively to the drugs.

Lead researcher Professor Irving Kirsch said: "The difference in improvement between patients taking placebos and patients taking anti-depressants is not very great.
"This means that depressed people can improve without chemical treatments.
"Given these results, there seems little reason to prescribe anti-depressant medication to any but the most severely depressed patients, unless alternative treatments have failed to provide a benefit."
Professor Kirsch said the findings called into question the current system of reporting drug trials.

Revieweing guidance
Dr Tim Kendall, deputy director of the Royal College of Psychiatrists Research Unit, has published research concluding that drug companies tend only to publish research which shows their products in a good light.
He said the Hull findings undermined confidence in the ability to draw meaningful conclusions about the merit of drugs based on published data alone.
He called for drug companies to be forced to publish all their data.
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) is currently reviewing its guidance on the use of antidepressants.

Marjorie Wallace of Sane commented: "If these results were upheld in further studies, they would be very disturbing.
"The newer anti-depressants were the great hope for the future.... These findings could remove what has been seen as a vital choice for thousands in treating what can be a life-threatening condition."

Dr Andrew McCulloch, of the Mental Health Foundation, said: "We have become vastly over-reliant on antidepressants when there is a range of alternatives.
"Talking therapies, exercise referral and other treatments are effective for depression.
"It is a problem that needs a variety of approaches matched to the individual patient."

Dr Richard Tiner, of the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry, said there was no doubt that was a "considerable placebo effect" from anti-depressants when treating people with mild to moderate symptoms.
But he said no medicine would get a licence without demonstrating it was better than a placebo.
Dr Tiner said: "These medicines have been licensed by a number of regulatory authorities around the world, who looking at all the evidence, have determined that they do work better than placebo.â€

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:27 pm

Religion study: Fewer stick to family faiths; number of unaffiliated up

By Jessica Ravitz
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 02/26/2008 10:16:04 AM MST

http://www.sltrib.com/faith/ci_8365460

Adult religious affiliation in the U.S. has become an increasingly "competitive marketplace" in which more than a quarter of Americans have left their childhood faiths, the unaffiliated stand as the fastest-growing group and Protestantism sits on the brink of becoming a minority tradition, according to a study released Monday.
The U.S. Religious Landscape Survey, a product of The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, combines information gathered from interviews with more than 35,000 adults. The findings analyze trends according to demographic factors - such as age, ethnicity, gender, income and education levels - and offer a look at regional differences, including state breakdowns.
The survey says Latter-day Saints account for 58 percent of Utah's population. The next largest group is the unaffiliated, 16 percent, followed by Catholics, 10 percent. Pew Forum officials make clear that "unaffiliated" does not necessarily mean not religious; it simply means lack of affiliation with a particular religion and includes atheists and agnostics, as well as those who believe in an undefined higher power.
The unaffiliated number is greatest among those ages 18 to 29, with one in four saying they are not aligned with any one religion.
"Young adults are busy figuring out a lot of things in their lives," says John Green, a senior fellow at the Pew Forum. "In that situation, many people stray away from organized religion."
Other findings outlined in the 140-page report include the fact that retention is lowest among Jehovah's Witnesses, with only 37 percent of those raised in the faith still identifying with the tradition. Catholicism also has been hit hard. While one in three adults was raised Catholic, fewer than 24 percent call themselves Catholic today.
Catholicism's landscape, however, is and will continue to be greatly influenced by immigration, the survey shows. Latinos represent 12 percent of Catholics 70 and older but 45 percent of those between 18 and 29.
Hindus and Mormons are most likely to be married, and to be married to spouses of the same faith. Ninety percent of Hindus marry within their religion, followed by Mormons at 83 percent.
Mormons and Muslims have the largest families, according to the survey.
From the mid-1950s to the 1980s, Protestants accounted for nearly two-thirds of the U.S. population. That figure has declined dramatically in recent decades, and now Protestants account for 51 percent of the adult population. The decline is within mainline traditions, while evangelical churches - which tend to be more fragmented and diverse - have grown.
With increased diversity nationwide, and the growing pool of those who are religiously unaffiliated but potentially looking, the competition among faith groups is real, says Luis Lugo, director of the forum.
"If you rest on your laurels, you're going to be history," he says.
Future analyses of this far-reaching survey, focusing on beliefs and practices as well as political and social views, are expected later this year.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:19 am

We are building a religion
We are building it bigger
We are widening the corridors
And adding more lanes

A limited edition
We are now accepting callers
For these pendant key chains

To resist it is useless
It is useless to resist it
His cigarette is burning
But he never seems to ash

He is grooming his poodle
He is living comfort eagle
You can meet at his location
But you'd better come with cash

Now his hat is on backwards
He can show you his tatoos
He is in the music business
He is calling you "DUDE!"

Now today is tomorrow
And tomorrow today
And yesterday is weaving in and out

And the fluffy white lines
That the airplane leaves behind
Are drifting right in front
Of the waning of the moon

He is handling the money
He's serving the food
He knows about your party
He is calling you "DUDE!"

Now do you believe
In the one big sign
The doublewide shine
On the bootheels of your prime

Doesn't matter if you're skinny
Doesn't matter if you're fat
You can dress up like a sultan
In your onion head hat

We are making a brand
We're the only ones to turn to
When your castles turn to sand

Take a bite of this apple
Mr. corporate events
Take a walk through the jungle
Of cardboard shanties and tents

Some people drink Pepsi
Some people drink Coke
The wacky morning DJ
Says democracy's a joke

He says now do you believe
In the one big song
He's now accepting callers
Who would like to sing along

He says, do you believe
In the one true edge
By fastening your safety belts
And stepping towards the ledge

He is handling the money
He is serving the food
He is now accepting callers
He is calling me "DUDE!"

Do you believe
In the one big sign
The doublewide shine
On the bootheels of your prime

There's no need to ask directions
If you ever lose your mind
We're behind you
We're behind you
And let us please remind you
We can send a car to find you
If you ever lose your way

We are building it bigger

We are building

A religion

A limited

Edition

We are now accepting callers...
For these beautiful...
Pendant keychains

Cake-Comfort Eagle.
Frida Be You & Me

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:29 am

Add Mr. Opportunity to your ignore list.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:32 am

already done.
Frida Be You & Me

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:52 pm

ok - sounds good

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:53 pm

dr.placebo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:21 pm

DVD Burner wrote: The main finding among severely depressed people was that they ceased to respond to a dummy placebo pill, not that they showed a particularly heightened response to anti-depressants.
It's a minor point, but the phrase "dummy placebo pill" is redundant.

And I oughta know.

Return to “Stories”