Was anyone harassed at the "checkers gate" ?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
troyds

Was anyone harassed at the "checkers gate" ?

Post by troyds » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:59 pm

Boo hoo, too bad, too sad, but I’m going to tell you a quick story with the hope that it doesn’t ever happen to anyone again supposedly returning home.

On Monday the 25th just before the gate was reopened because of the white out conditions, 2 “checkersâ€

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:10 pm

i love you.

people like you need people like me.
there's NO WAY anyone would get that shit out of your possession if i was with you.

checkers, gate, perimeter and DPW are the base of the event. there is a cancer in all of these positions. there is an abuse of power and lack of humanity. yes, some are good. these people are not the law and do need their snobby asses beat.

if i ever........

you are a calmer person than i. take less shit or take someone like me with you.

thanks for your light and lights. someone gifted me some cool finger led's i'll imagine it was you. THANK YOU.

love, Crux
blow.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:17 pm

Wow that's fucked up. I would have been pissy if it happened to me and started demanding BRC Ranger intervention. There is no rule against glow sticks, blinkies, fake beards, etc.

I had no problems with gate crew (but I did come in early access). The funniest thing was when they searched one of our trailers and the guy had to crawl into a 1 foot X 1 foot space and he disappeared into the depths of the moonshine tavern gear. I have no idea how that squirrly mofo made it in and out of there but he was satisfied that we had nothing.

The only other incident at the gate for us was when they claimed one of our Early Access Passes had already been used which was impossible since the entire Moonshine crew showed up at the exact same moment. Lucky for us we had an extra EA pass and we got in without having to send anyone to D Lot.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

nocturnal_steve
Burning Since: 1997

Stuff confiscated at Gate

Post by nocturnal_steve » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:04 pm

The only items that might be subject to being taken at the gate are fireworks, firearms, Mutant Vehicles without an invite letter ( subject to impound until end of the event), Propane cylinders in excess of 100 gallons and a few other odds and ends expressly prohibited and specified in the survival guide or elsewhere on burningman.com

It's almost hard to believe one or a few individuals at the gate would be so belligerent as to commandeer your stuff, or do anything short of a gentle caution or advisory about moop ( like if the fake beard was a cheap one).

I assume the original poster is not trolling because the info is concise and not funny or flippant enough to qualify as sarcasm or humor. I am personally pissed off at the gate checkers who did this. I would like to believe that if were I at the gate I would not have been intimidated and turned around, gone through with another checker, asked to speak to some one in authority like a shift lead etc. Remember practically all of the gate checkers, greeters, Exodus , DMV etc. are volunteers, with the exception of a handful of senior staff at the top of the hierarchy who may be BORG paid personnel. I would like to think most volunteers are operating within their scope of authority and familiarity with what the real, true rules are and if they are uncertain defer to someone more experienced. Some volunteers may have had minimal training and be operating of their own volition. I would encourage anyone who feels their rights are being trampled upon stand their ground and insist they speak to a shift lead, senior Ranger etc.

I hope you were able to get some names (hard to use for ID at BM since everyone has a Playa name), or better yet some pictures (almost anyone with a cell phone has a digicam) of the offending assholes. Barring that you might want to let it end with the report you made to the Rangers and let it go. Seems like you have done a good job of doing that already, and you did not let it spoil your time on the Playa, Good for you Troy, and hope to see you back !
Stay hydrated my friend.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:16 pm

This is pretty fucked up. Someone at PG&E needs to address criminal activity such as this to make sure it doesn't happen again. What makes it worse is that a THEMECAMP was robbed of their supplies. When I heard this story on the playa I felt it might be bullshit.. now I'm not so sure. WTF is PG&E up to by robbing people?

I was under the impression that only stowaways and forbidden items were looked for.

I snuck in this year.. maybe more effort should be put into looking for stowaways as opposed to things to steal from people under false pretenses.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:02 pm

Weird human nature to trust people in authority positions almost blindly. That sucks but you also let yourself get scammed. It's 95% those assholes fault but you should accept some of the blame yourself for giving them your stuff. I'd say let it go and take it as a lesson learned and keep it close in your memory so that you can share the lesson and react properly and aggressively the next time you see something similar happening. You should also write the org about the incident. I would guess that the gate keepers are paid employees and they may be able to track them down, but otherwise you're better off if you don't let it get to you too much.
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

nocturnal_steve
Burning Since: 1997

Gate personnal are volunteers.....

Post by nocturnal_steve » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:47 pm

See...
http://www.burningman.com/participate/gate.html

P.S. Troy I can understand about being anxious, happy to arrive, shocked, tired, surprised and succumbing to the fucked up and inappropriate seizure of your property. Most of all taken by surprise.

But the Playa has a way of evening things out I am sure your bad experience , but undaunted and still a good attitude will bring you gifts when you least expect it; I'll tell ya a couple of stories:

I have for many years filled my two 50 gallon water barrels at a business / tap close to Gerlach on the way in. In many prior years I was used putting funds $$$ in a donation jar on the counter there that went to local causes: High School, fund raisers etc.

A couple of years ago after putting in $20.00 in the jar and filling the water drums a guy came out of the establishment and said " oh...you have two big water drums...thats $80.00". There were cops nearby, I too was surprised and felt like I was dealing with the locals and had to play on their terms. I paid another $60.00 , the guy pocketed the money.... I was at first bewildered and later was pissed off kicking myself all that morning when I realized I had been taken advantage of. I guessed that was the end of it, and I had been had, lessons learned.

The next year I pulled up to the same establishment, and the owner happen to be there. I told him the story and described the guy that asked for the inflated "donation". He knew exactly who it was, was apologetic, but more or less laughed it off. He said the guy probably did put my money in the donation jar. He also said I can come back and fill my water drums, no donation required, for evermore !

The Playa & BM have a way of evening things out. No shit... I am not a new age, touchy feeley type of guy but shit like that has happened to me on the Playa more than the default world, shit like this :

Like the time I was with my girl one late late cold night, it was just her and I huddled on a bench around a Burn Barrel. She mumbled something, I didn't hear her, at the same time I felt an odd item on the bench , reached over and there was a bag of marshmallows. "What did you say?" I asked.
"I wish we had some marshmallows" was her reply. No Shit !

troyds

Post by troyds » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:01 pm

Crux,

I love you too. Right on! People like me do need people like you. This did graduate me pretty darn fast though, but I still need people like you!

I read more than I post by far, but I hope that bringing this into the firelight will at least keep some people on their toes and curb other’s actions or at least make them think about WTF they are doing to others. That’s really all this post is about.

Gifts are not to be expected, but given. These people overstepped their bounds. Heck, I would have given them a bunch of stuff. Hopefully you did get one of my LEDs. I really like to think that too. Thanks BroMo!!

I’ll be at Videogasm in Snowflake next year and I’ll have a pallet of non-sustainable stuff to give away. How about a watermelon soaked in vodka (good vodka)! LOL!

Love,

Troy

troyds

Post by troyds » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:08 pm

Bitter Dan,

I want you to know that Momma Lola gave me a Moonshine Tavern Shot glass, which BTW, is the only shot glass I have in my house (I drink out of the bottle). LOL! And I will display it proudly right next to the silver and china. She showed me how to make a May West Cocktail with it. Funny stuff! I wish I would have got down to your tavern.
Next year I’ll bring it back for a fill!

Best,

T

troyds

Post by troyds » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:35 pm

ns,

It was hard to believe. 9 months of planning getting thrown in the dust by a couple of people and few self-serving Staff. It really sucked not knowing what to do and then letting them do their thing. I was trying to weigh the value of the rest of our stuff and planning against the beard of my kite and a heck of a big box of fun gizmos. I should have been weighing the violation against principal. Just so you know, it wouldn’t have gone any farther than it did, even if what happened was too far. It was horrible to be violated by the people you had come to trust. It was like being slapped by a parent for not eating you supper, even though you were full, to use a bizarre analogy. And then to blame yourself for letting it happen. WTF I know too bad. And I dealt with that. The rest of the week was fantastic! And I didn’t let or want what happened to be the central issue of my burn.

Heck 07 was my first burn and I actually cried (not ashamed) when this Welcomer lady with pink hair gave me a big hug and said welcome home. She was fantastic. I knew then that I had found acceptance and the creative ever-changing spirit of the country and globe. It sucks to be lonely with ideas, etc, that you can’t manifest in your local or job or immediate environment—AND THEN TO COME HOME!! Right on!

I screwed up, maybe BRC screwed up, but the same thing doesn’t have to happen to me or anyone else again- hopefully. It won’t happen to me again and this hasn’t made me cynical. I’m not going to stencil a thousand Mutant Ranger costumes and start giving good people crap over this, or better yet dump a thousand glow bracelets on the anti-glow camp. LOL! You get me. But it was a hard rest of the night.

I’m not a troll. Really, I’m not. I want this to shed a little light on system failure. Maybe, this is deconstructive thinking or my way of fighting back. Thanks for giving me a little space to do so. I do want to have a playa exhibit next year focused on deconstructing speech paralleling the theme of evolution. Perhaps, it will be more focused on devolution.

Best and you will see me back,

Troy

troyds

Post by troyds » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:47 pm

Tool Maker,

Yes, it did hurt the theme camp from a gifting standpoint. It’s great to bring things for others, even though they are self-reliant and probably don’t need your stuff, but it’s still cool to help people get their hair glowed up for the night or pass out blinking snowflakes, stuff like that. There were people depending on the stuff as well, but not the whole of the village. It did definitely put a hammer on my energy and participation for several hours. But then I started partying and the rest was great. I will post the video to this link as soon as I get it. It’s f---ing fantastic! Lol!

BTW We did get the dragon kite in the air on burn day. That was cool!

Best,

T

troyds

Post by troyds » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:01 pm

MikeVDS,

You are right. I came home trustingly. I can only help in retrospect being so blind and trusting, but I can’t change what happened. I do blame myself a lot more than 5%, but that is a diminishing figure. And I am letting it go, but to say nothing would make me feel like I was totally saying “it’s ok to take people’s stuff at the gate.â€

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:02 pm

Damn, I have been there 8 times. Always looking forward to deling with the gate folks..

troyds

Post by troyds » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:28 pm

UJH,

I’m sure that this was an anomaly involving, in my case, the “Checkersâ€

willyloafofphora

Post by willyloafofphora » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Weird. I came in Monday morning and they were super nice. Nicest ever actually they didn't even check the back of my truck I could have had at least 3 stowaways back there. I really liked the "please remove your shoes and belt" sign right before the gate. I thought it was just a joke. Sorry you got robbed. It happened to others too one of the bouncers from Spikes had his car stolen while he was in line at will call.
Excrement, incestuous person. I require my copulating currency, incestuous person.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Was anyone harassed at the "checkers gate" ?

Post by Bob » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:40 pm

My gosh, how did Burning Man live without your
troyds wrote:3 glow swords
2 packages of blinking LED Snowflakes
24 blinking LED peace signs
24 blinking LED ying-yang signs
100-150 LED Finger Rings
1 LED T-Shirt with a clock in the front of it
3 LED Boas (no feathers)
100-150 glow sticks
50-100 plasma necklaces
12 white tiger wands
150 tubes of glow in the dark hair gel
Led Ear Rings and assorted jewerly
Led wig
Assorted Led light chasing necklaces
2 50pk tubes of glow bracelets
1 LED sting of assorted eyeballs (that was pretty cool)
my emergency sunglasses (that sucked, but somebody gifted me a pair)
a few other things
?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:00 am

Bob wrote:My gosh, how did Burning Man live without your
100-150 LED Finger Rings
3 LED Boas (no feathers)
100-150 glow sticks
50-100 plasma necklaces
12 white tiger wands
Led wig
a few other things
?
my guess is It didn’t, the people who confiscated them gave them out to their friends

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:40 am

Zulegoona wrote:
Bob wrote:My gosh, how did Burning Man live without your
100-150 LED Finger Rings
3 LED Boas (no feathers)
100-150 glow sticks
50-100 plasma necklaces
12 white tiger wands
Led wig
a few other things
?
my guess is It didn’t, the people who confiscated them gave them out to their friends
Seems like you're assuming.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Joshatdot
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp Envy

Post by Joshatdot » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:43 am

that's jsut effed up...I knew that some MOOP stuff was prohibited at BRC...but LEDs, glow sticks and shit like that are NOT.

Hell I walked in (so to speak) with 100 white LEDs & 100 R.G.B. random blinky LEDs key chains in my back pack.

gyre

ROBBERY AT THE GATE

Post by gyre » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:11 am

Nothing was confiscated.
This is called robbery.

And if you let it go or don't prosecute and do everything you can to protect the next person, it really will be your fault.
There is nothing cute or funny about thieves.
And victims are not 5% or anything to blame, unless they fail to go after these people.

That is your responsibility now.

Since the org requires us to open our vehicles, the org is 100% responsible for your losses and you should not have to sue to be compensated.
They should have dealt with this the second you reported it, while you were there.
You could have insisted, but you shouldn't have to tell them to do their job.

If they don't deal with robberies, NO ONE SHOULD LET THE GATE NEAR THEIR CARS.
So let us know.

And file a police report.
Even if they aren't caught, everyone has to take this seriously.

And not press charges?
What the fuck are you talking about?

If you don't push all of this, you should compensate everyone else that gets robbed out of your own pocket next year.

The theatre I like to do at the greeters depends on the suspension of disbelief and the confidence of the people coming in.
I resent thieves shitting in our playground.

Now do the right thing.

mars

Post by mars » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:05 am

I have to say I agree with Gyre. This whole thing that happened to you is sooooooooo wrong. You should not have had to be subjected to it and put in the position of being a victim or of taking a risk that could have escalated it to a worse situation.

This was theft. It was unfair. It was in NO way your fault. And I believe it should be reported and dealt with to the fullest extent possible.

I had a much smaller thing happen to me by an Empire local (see Empire scammers thread) and I am pursuing it fully. what happened to you was far worse and needs to be stopped so that it doesn't happen to anybody else.

I commend you for not letting it ruin your burn. I think it would have been hard for me to get over, not because of the stuff, but because of the betrayal of trust. Even just hearing about it, I find it upsetting.

It's just not right and I hope you will take appropriate action.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

troyds

Post by troyds » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:51 am

Gyre and Mars,

I am doing something and I did do something. Here’s my timeline:

Monday Aug 25th: I reported to Ranger HQ to a BRC Ranger who said that they would bring up the situation in the “morning meetingâ€

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:58 am

Uncheck the box that says "Disable HTML" underneath the reply box.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mars

Post by mars » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:05 am

sounds good and I completely understand how hard it is to get back to somewhere or take care of any business while on the playa.

i'm going to check in with my ranger friend and see what he thinks and if he knows anything about it.

i have heard before, regarding dpw (not gate), that rangers have little power when it comes to this group. It appears they are like the playa mafia and the good guys are afraid of them. I wonder if it's like that with the gate people. This was such mafia-like/gang-like behavior. I'm glad you are spreading the word.

What do people think we should do if confronted by a situation like this next year at the gate?
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:16 am

I'm not clear which gate this was.. The first or greeters?

The first gate is powerd by DPW

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:27 am

No, the first gate is worked by Gate/Perimeter. I've known people who work it. DPW is doing things like building, and they get to play with the big toys, like cherry pickers and forklifts. There may be an overlap in dress style, both are kinda Mad Max, but they are separate entities. If anything, Gate/Perimeter are former Rangers, rather than former DPW. (In my experience at least. Could be selection bias.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:35 am

I liked the DPW camp this year..

Fliped them the bird (lovingly) when they pointed there flame canon down at me and said bad thing about my 50's music

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:06 am

The official entity isknown as PG&E (Perimeter Gate and Exodus). To my knowledge something like this is outside of the Rangers.. the Rangers are a volunteer organization with their own duties. I emailed the PG&E coordinator about this yesterday so either the ORG will have someone address this or they could care less and will ignore the email with the link to this thread. The OP wasn't the only person ripped off like this and criminal charges should be made against the person. This is felony theft at the least due to the dollar amount of goods. Quite possibly there is a more serious crime here.. the fact the the OP was in fear of not being able to enter an event that so much was invested in and was forced under duress to give up some private property in order to get in seems like something more sinister than just common theft. I do know that gate staff are scheduled and their names ARE known. Shit like this not only tarnishes the reputation of our community but also ALL PG&E folk. Likely the Rangers could care less or unable to do anything or else something WOULD have been done when this was first reported. I would cease bothering Rangers with this and go to the next level up like volunteer co-ordinators and such, also make a police report as early as possible. One sure way to get some folks awake would be a civil suit against the org in the amount of your losses. It would cost em more to fight the case and make em think about seeing to it that this batch of volunteers never return to BRC to victimize our participants.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Hoolie
Burning Since: 2000

Post by Hoolie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:40 am

Toolmaker wrote:Quite possibly there is a more serious crime here.. the fact the the OP was in fear of not being able to enter an event that so much was invested in and was forced under duress to give up some private property in order to get in seems like something more sinister than just common theft.
That's because it was wrong on two counts: theft and abuse of authority.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:03 pm

Are you out of your fucking mind?
BURNERS?
Thieves are not burners I want to ever see out there.

Forgivable?
Are you nuts????
The org has limited power to deal with this if you don't press charges.
Do it and stick to it, if only for people that come after you.
Why tell them you aren't serious?
Many people want to do something important for the event.
Well, you have the chance now.
It wasn't your fault the org didn't do their job on the playa, but you have to follow through now.

I'm prosecuting and suing someone right now and restitution just means I won't pursue their job and credit history the rest of their life.
I have gotten more than one thief tossed out of a house or job.

You owe it to everyone else to do the right thing and prosecute these guys.
It won't be harsh enough for everyone else that they robbed, that doesn't know about it anyway.
Criminal charges might at least give the org what it needs to keep them off the gate next year.

Buck up and do what has to be done.
You can hug them after it's over if you like them more than their victims.

They are lucky if they get prosecuted instead of gbh.
They are NOT burners!
Just common thieves.

Return to “Stories”