Gods

All things outside of Burning Man.

I believe that are...

No such thing as a god and life ends when you die?
17%
No such thing as a god and life ends when you die?
17%
There is such an entity as a God, but only one and you don't die but live in eternal bliss in heaven or burn in hell?
7%
There is such an entity as a God, but only one and you don't die but live in eternal bliss in heaven or burn in hell?
7%
There are many gods and you don't die but continue in alternate cycles of the spirit world and the matierial world?
26%
There are many gods and you don't die but continue in alternate cycles of the spirit world and the matierial world?
26%

Total votes: 334

rodent

Re: Goverment covers up the coming of the "End of Manki

Post by rodent » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:47 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:You may have heard it today. Nasa sent a space ship to rendezvous with asteroid to deflect it! I don't know if it will work! But a little over a month and a half, it was detected and was thought that it might hit us, but the astronomers wanted more time to recalculate the trajectory. They never released the findings and now this. Something is up and the gov isn't saying a thing. What’s up?
Just to clarify (cause I read up on this stuff obsessivly) the probe launched today was not NASA, it was ESA (European Space Agency) and was not on it's way to deflect an asteroid. In fact, its on it's way to rendesvou with a comet, land on it, and sample what it is.

The asteroid you mentioned that might hit Earth isn't going to hit. Astronomers only needed a couple of days worth of additional observation to nail its orbit. It was reported but news agencies are more interested in hyping "End of the World" than "Woops, Nevermind".

Yellowstone on the otherhand... for anyone who has been paying attention... farging SCARRY!!!

---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)

III

Post by III » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:59 pm

>>rendesvouz with a comet

is this the same one that jim "stock puppet" mason was doing the rosetta project for?
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

rodent

Post by rodent » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:40 am

???

Did a search for "rosetta" and only turned up this thread. Rosetta is the name of the probe that the ESA just launched aboard an Arian 5 rocket. It is planned to rendevous with a comet in 2014 and land on it's surface. You can find out more here if you'd like... http://www.spaceflightnow.com/ariane/v1 ... aunch.html

I don't know what "rosetta project" that the sockpuppet was referring to.

---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)

Apollonaris Zeus

Yes you're right- I'm wrong!

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:51 am

You're right its the wrong asteroid!

And Yes Yellowstone is scary and I do much of my work in the Park, but what a way to go! Pompeii here I come!

A II Z

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:24 am

Zulegoona wrote:Dog! I have 3 dogs, I love my dogkids and still haven't figured out what to do with them when I make my first playa trip this year.

/
Can't your floor kid stay with Grammy&Grampy?
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

III

Post by III » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:20 am

>>I don't know what "rosetta project" that the sockpuppet was referring to.

that's the one. jim mason, least known for his stockpuppet sculptures (which were supposed to be the keyway centerpiece in '00) and more for the fire cannons and the big ball of ice in '97 is an instrumental designer on that project.
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:28 am

The Rosetta Project http://www.rosettaproject.org/live
is an offshoot of the Long Now Project which Jim's also quite involved in. It all ties into together in some funky ass way.

Check the sites out. Quite amazing stuff.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:29 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zulegoona wrote:
Dog! I have 3 dogs, I love my dogkids and still haven't figured out what to do with them when I make my first playa trip this year.

/
Can't your floor kid stay with Grammy&Grampy?
although it would be hilarious to see them running berserk in Dads nursing home, I have a feeling a kennel would be less traumatic. I think I might have found a kennel that would house all three together for around $400 for the week of burning man and transit time. I think that will probably be the route I take. I have considered bringing them along as far as Nevada or Salt Lake if I could find a kennel for them to cut down on the duration and cost of boarding, but it would probably be easier on us all if I just put them in a place closer to home.

I don't know how I ended up with all cat people as my friends. You just can't trust cat people. :twisted:

juanicoheal

Post by juanicoheal » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:45 pm

Zulegoona wrote:You just can't trust cat people. :twisted:
At least they dont jump up and lick ya - or try to hump your leg.

juanicoheal

Post by juanicoheal » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:46 pm

Er - on the other h h h h h hand.... never m m mind.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Yes you're right- I'm wrong!

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:52 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote: And Yes Yellowstone is scary and I do much of my work in the Park, but what a way to go! Pompeii here I come!
Pompeii will be small potatoes compared to Yellowstone if it blows. Think Krakatau.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:58 pm

At least they dont jump up and lick ya - or try to hump your leg.
Er - on the other h h h h h hand.... never m m mind.
Heh Heh Heh...

:wink:

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:42 pm

I don't know, I'm a cat person. I have been known to hump a leg when given a chance.

technopatra

Post by technopatra » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:09 am

Zulegoona wrote: You just can't trust cat people. :twisted:
MEOW!

..uh.. I mean...

HEY!

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:12 am

I like some cats more than most people. Few can resist the 20 lbs. of Manx goodness that is Gizmo The Great!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:33 am

Andrew @20 lbs.Sammy 18 and Tiger Shredder 12 lbs. That's my Kitty Boze.

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:22 am

Big cats is good cats! Better'n TV, by gum!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

juanicoheal

Post by juanicoheal » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:23 am

Just don't get him wet, or feed him after midnight.

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:37 pm

I like some cats more than most people.
I like some people more than most people.

but I also like how people project their desired personality traits onto their pets.

i know that's bitchy, but it's funny to me. I served my time in the petland gulag.

Apollonaris Zeus

Re: Yes you're right- I'm wrong!

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:06 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Apollonaris Zeus wrote: And Yes Yellowstone is scary and I do much of my work in the Park, but what a way to go! Pompeii here I come!
Pompeii will be small potatoes compared to Yellowstone if it blows. Think Krakatau.
Actually it will be 100 times more powerful!

Krakatau's Caldera is 4 miles wide

Yellowstone Caldera is 47 miles wide

Expect it to dislodge 247 Sq miles of earth and that was a minor eruption!

It is believed to have caused the Ice Ages- now is a ood time to pick up a nordic sport!

Mankind's genetic diversity is so low that we might become extinct with in 30 generations or would look more like neatherthals of past if we had enough food to eat!

Oh, I don't expect to live if I'm within ground zero and that could be will within 100 miles. within 350 miles every thing would be fried! The resulting fire storms could take out every forest and grasslands within 1,500 miles perhaps even on the east coast for the black as night lightning storms would drift where ever they would blow South, East North and almost to the Cascades. So I wouldn't expect you to live no matter where you live too.

On another note- the "One (titan) God" has taken more lives in Madrid!

6 million Jews and numbers of other souls more then can be counted!

His time is almost over!

And I am so Glad!!!!!!

A II Z

Apollonaris Zeus

Re: Athena a Feminist? I don't think so. . .

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:59 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Let's remember that Athena okayed Orestes' killing of his mother. He killed his mother (Clymanestra) because she killed his father (Agamemnon.) He had killed their daughter Iphegenia (or is that the beach in Rio?--boy I'm addled) in order to raise a wind to sail to Troy and fetch Helen back. So potentially it's okay to kill your mom and your daughter (if you're a man) but not to run away from your husband for someone cuter or to kill your husband for killing your kid. (Of course, Athena didn't have a husband or kids, so no telling if she knew how irritating and precious they are.) She also had a bad habit of helping proto-patriarchal heroes overthrow women with power.
Yo, Cryptofishist;

You are wrong! You need a better source of the "the Iliad". Agamemnon killed a sacred stag of Aphrodite and the greeks were thought to be plagued by her (most likely not though). Calchas, the Soothwayer, wrongfully thought that if Agmemnon sacrificed his own daughtter, Iphigenia, she would be appeased. Though Calchas had an ulterior motive because Iphigenia shunned Calchas' romantic advances. Aphrodite distainded human sacrifice and saved Iphigenia and was made her priestess.

As far of your condemnation of Athena, she never OK'ed Orestes for killing his mother, pitied him for doing so.

Athena, called upon the Court of Areopagus to finalize a judment so that the Eumenides (the avenging Gods) would stop hounding him. In the court, the Erinyes made their accusations and Orestes made his defense that Delphic Ofacle instucted him to do so. After the court VOTED, they were equally divided and Athena then acquitted Orestes!

So Crypto, you cannot fault Athena for her actions anymore then you could fault a judge on which our modern courts are instructed to so as well!

In my opinion, I would say Orestes was justified in killing his mom, though I do so reluctantly. Clytemnestra would have known then, as today, that killing one's husband in league with one's paramour, that it was custom to kill all male offspring as well (see Godfather II ); for it is the duty of the son (s) to avenge the death of his father and to reclaim his kingdom. Orestes would have had to kill clytemnestra's new husband Aegisthus, in order to avenge his father and reclaim his lost Kingdom.

Wow, I still have to admit that Athena is a great role model. She kicks Ass!

Crypto, are you saying that a woman is less then a woman if she doesn't bear a child? And It's OK to run away from your husband for someone cuter and kill him too?

Wow that's a really fucked up statement and please keep away from me on the playa. I've got arms and a vibrator and I know how to use them!

A II Z

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:32 am

any thoughts on this

http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/newdow.html

before it hits the supreme court Wednesday?

Should I have posted this under this thread?

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=3173

if so my apologies and I'll look for a response there.
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

Apollonaris Zeus

Not Again!

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:04 pm

DVD Burner wrote:
"if so my apologies and I'll look for a response there.
I miss the days when nobody apologised and just shot the bastards at Eplaya Meet and Kill!

Just Kidding!!!!!!!!!

I loved when people claim that the greatness of our Political system was attributed to our Monotheistic cultured and forget that we just copied it all from the Roman's and Greek's Polytheistic culture and Gods!!!!

A II Z

juanicoheal

Re: Not Again!

Post by juanicoheal » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:08 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote: we just copied it all from the Roman's and Greek's Polytheistic culture and Gods!!!!
All hail Xerox! Copies to all! Hail! Hail! Hail!

Apollonaris Zeus

Can never have more then enough Gods!

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:23 pm

juanicoheal wrote:
Apollonaris Zeus wrote: we just copied it all from the Roman's and Greek's Polytheistic culture and Gods!!!!
All hail Xerox! Copies to all! Hail! Hail! Hail!
Mighty Xerox!!!

Defeated the Titan god, Ditto!

ONce again, Defeated the Titan god, Ditto!!

A II Z

PS- So when is the Edit Button coming back?

and what the hell is a "Ofacle"?

juanicoheal

Post by juanicoheal » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:32 pm

PS- So when is the Edit Button coming back?
Down with edits - revel in miss types!
and what the hell is a "Ofacle"?
A relative of the Oh Fuck Hell?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:16 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote: You need a better source of the "the Iliad". Agamemnon killed a sacred stag of Aphrodite and the greeks were thought to be plagued by her (most likely not though). Calchas, the Soothwayer, wrongfully thought that if Agmemnon sacrificed his own daughtter, Iphigenia, she would be appeased. Though Calchas had an ulterior motive because Iphigenia shunned Calchas' romantic advances. Aphrodite distainded human sacrifice and saved Iphigenia and was made her priestess.

As far of your condemnation of Athena, she never OK'ed Orestes for killing his mother, pitied him for doing so.

So Crypto, you cannot fault Athena for her actions anymore then you could fault a judge on which our modern courts are instructed to so as well!
I would think that the appropriate source would be Iphigenia not the Iliad. And the myths vary there--as I'm sure Robert Graves would agree and catalogue ad nauseum.

Okay'd is wrong--rubberstamped afterwards, perhaps.
Activist judge.

Running away from a loveless marraige (and let's remember that Menalaus may have been as interested in her land as in her) may be an appropriate thing to do--but never in a patriarchal mindset. Killing your husband because you found someone cuter is wrong. Killing your husband for killing your daughter--well, living in civilization means giving up that sort of behavior, but he was getting off scott free. I'm also saying that Athena got to be so self rightious about other's behavior because she didn't have thier experiences. Who know who she might have killed if someone had killed any of the children she never had (or who were suppressed in later mythology.) Especially if she was as dangerous as you suggest.

I don't like her, although I did as a kid. I question anyone identifying too much with any god; I doubt it's healthy.

I am not a straw fish--don't try to make me into one.

I am not in need of someone with your alleged skill with certain mechanical devises--I live with someone who has great--legendary, in fact--prowess in that area.

And I don't believe opinions can be "wrong" in the way you suggest mine are.

Apollonaris Zeus

Since we are the new Romans let act like one!

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun May 02, 2004 3:00 am

Romans could never have enough Gods!

When they would attack you. They would make a sacrament to the local deity of the opposing army. Promising eternal prays to the deity, they would sway your god to their side. Perhaps that deity would be the supreme one of the Romans. But the Romans eventually dismiss all deities for the one god of Judaism. Thus breaking an ancient convenient to gods of all they had concord, thus the Romans having no gods fell into oblivion. For those that have no Gods are doomed. For if Mankind has no god or gods thus such we are doomed. For no civilization can exist without its gods and no civilization can exist with just one God when so many exist!

A II Z

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun May 02, 2004 11:24 am

God Dammit!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Mon May 03, 2004 11:40 am

Watch your potty mouth buddy!

Uh, which god are you refering to by the way?

God of the Damn might it be?

A II Z

Return to “Open Discussion”