Was anyone Caressed at the Greeters Gate?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
mars

Was anyone Caressed at the Greeters Gate?

Post by mars » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:09 am

I was a greeter for the first time this year and I'm curious how people liked/didn't like their Greetings?

Let's hear it...
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Post by Karma » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:46 pm

Greeters kick ass ! Always have, always will.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh".

Voltaire

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:48 pm

haha indeed i was caressed at the greeters gate!
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

Joshatdot
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp Envy

Post by Joshatdot » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:10 am

i was a virgin this year...all I got was a bell ring...

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:06 pm

I love doing greeter shifts and had a wonderful time doing it twice this year! It's a great way to meet lots of people (other greeters and incoming folks) and it really helps get me out of my own head, which is really what BM is all about for me in many ways. I love being so far removed from my defaultia personality when I'm there. There is nothing quite as wonderful as a frosty beverage handed to you by the passing parade! And groping is by request only, just like spanking! But if you ask me real nice you can grope me all day long! ;-)

Woof!
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

urvile

Post by urvile » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:36 pm

I got a nice big hug!

This was my second burn, and I have to say, the words "Welcome Home!" hit me like a ton of bricks. I almost started sobbing, I was so happy. I thought I got it last year, but this year those words just penetrated me, because they were true, and I finally understood them. I felt like I was coming home, and the people who said those words to me MEANT it.

So to the greeters, thank you for doing what you do. You start the feeling of community right there at the gates.

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:55 pm

I got in at 2 am monday morn, and met a virgin greeter. He was very nice, took the cold fat tire i offered and started chatting, but the master greeter girl told him to hurry me up there were people behind me lol.
Other greeters were having the virgin burners make dust angels.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:29 pm

I arrived about 9:00 Sunday night. Had an early arrival pass. My greeting was very formal and down to business. Not even a Welcome Home. I was saddened by that fact. Next year I will have an ice cold beer for the greeter.

ZaphodBurner
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:38 pm

urvile wrote: This was my second burn, and I have to say, the words "Welcome Home!" hit me like a ton of bricks. I almost started sobbing, I was so happy.
Lotta people talk about how the first burn is the greatest experience, or the most life-altering, and about how you can't really recapture the energy of your first burn.

I think people forget how hugely meaningful that second or third "Welcome home" is. Sure, you ring the bell the first time but it doesn't mean as much to most virgins. When you've been having withdrawals and counting down the days until you go back, and -then- at last some dusty greeter welcomes you home, that's when it really hits you. In a way, that moment belongs to second-year arrivals more than anybody else.

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

brcprincess

Post by brcprincess » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:09 am

Our greeter was very informative.

Tapestry
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Hair of the Dog

Post by Tapestry » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:58 am

I loved being a Greeter this year. I am absolutely volunteering for it again.

Artemis

greeters rock!

Post by Artemis » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:05 pm

Our greeting was excellent. I knew I was home.

Our greeter even gave us (after asking permission) a welcoming dick print on the rental car.

shaun

Post by shaun » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:36 pm

my Monday 1 am greeter was swaying slurring reeking of alcohol absolutely blasted. must have been dpw.

troyds

Post by troyds » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:47 pm

Monday the dust storm and the back up of cars kind of ruined the greeting experience. It was just about impossible. I was going to go back and say hi to the greeters at their camp, but just didn't get there. The greeters are awesome! Hearing them say "welcome home," wow, priceless. LOL!

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:00 pm

shaun wrote:my Monday 1 am greeter was swaying slurring reeking of alcohol absolutely blasted. must have been dpw.
HAHA, DPW's don't wanna be caught dead with greeters. good witch bad witch.

actually, greeters had "prom night" party at the greeter gate at midnight.
must've been fun, not the greatest idea timewise. i missed it cuz i worked 4pm to 8pm then 4am to 8am.....
blow.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:05 am

I rolled up to the greeters around 1am Monday morning..it was me and another BM virgin. We rang the bell.....then he gave us the wrong directions kinda (said we would pass the ketchup bottle which we wouldnt/didnt) Didnt even think about how i didnt get a who what where or stickers or anything else....i mean even if they are hurrying people thru they shoulda given virgins some documents.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:52 am

There's Narc's in the greeter gate!

clerkkent

Post by clerkkent » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:07 pm

We got to the greeter's gate after they reopened the main gate during Monday's great white out (approximately 8pm). It is always a lottery as to which lane to choose. We were somewhat exhausted from the 8 hour drive plus the 5 hour gate queue, but it was my GF's first time, and I wanted her to get the 'royal bell ringing welcome'. Our greeter comes up to my driver's side window with a lit cig in my face (not cool, but oh well). He talks at my GF, who mentions she's tired from the long travel day, and is looking forward to getting to our camp area. He goes into a diatribe about 'who does she think she is, why is she so important, bringing her bad energy in here, etc'. I thought he was going to seque into a clever 'welcome home' bit, so I remained quiet & passive. Alas, he never went anywhere with it, and finished up with an annoying baby crying wail. No 'welcome home', no hugs, no bell ringing, no sand angel, nothing. So , in addition to to having to explain that the lengthy dust storm was atypical and not representative of typical conditions on the playa, I now had to explain that that greeter was atypical and not representative of typical conditions on the playa. "@ssholes are to be found everywhere hon". So our Monday was shot; fortunately Tuesday was a new day; a much better day. If my GF goes again, I'm debating if I should just fudge and say "yes, it is her first time" so she can get a more welcoming reception.

After previous years, I really wanted to option of having an express lane at the greeters station; I've done all the virgin welcoming activities, and I don't want to idle needlessly in the queue. How about a fast lane where the greeter says "Welcome! Here's your guide! Have fun and be safe!".

Rev_Sysyphus

Post by Rev_Sysyphus » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:51 pm

On Monday mid to late morning (I think) my buddy and I got to the gate and he told the gal we were both Virgins. She told us welcome home in such a warm and welcoming way that I was simply floored. Also she was very cute and very topless. But we didn't get the book or maps as we were too busy getting hugs and smiles and such. We were directed to park nearby so we could get out and ring the bell. Being a discordian & a Subgenius I screamed "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke" before striking the bell.

All in all the greeter was so super nice and sweet that we totally didn't care that we didn't get the guide or map. Later on I went back to the gate and another greeter gave me the missing paperwork.
Eschew The Banal!

Rev. Sysyphus
http://loafington.wordpress.com

buttercups

Post by buttercups » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:12 am

This was my second year as a greeter and it makes my burn. So fun. ANd the greeters are a phenomenal group of people.

The only drawback is this one long time greeter guy who is really creepy. I found myself trying to body block him from the women who came through. I have seen this dude make people incredibly uncomfortable....especially the virgin women who don't know what to expect. This guy takes real liberties. I saw him literally take a woman's chin and try and turn her face towards him to kiss her. She pushed herself off. He rubs on women and hugs them for super long times...picks them up. Lots look traumatized. Not sure what to do if there is anything to be done.
Buttercup

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:04 am

ZaphodBurner wrote: Lotta people talk about how the first burn is the greatest experience, or the most life-altering, and about how you can't really recapture the energy of your first burn.

I think people forget how hugely meaningful that second or third "Welcome home" is. Sure, you ring the bell the first time but it doesn't mean as much to most virgins. When you've been having withdrawals and counting down the days until you go back, and -then- at last some dusty greeter welcomes you home, that's when it really hits you. In a way, that moment belongs to second-year arrivals more than anybody else.

-c
I definitely agree with you. I enjoyed my first burn, but it was almost too overwhelming--all the sights, sounds, people, costumes, etc.--to really 'sink in'. It was almost a surreal experience as opposed to a real one. My second year I really felt more like a participator rather than a spectator.

JK

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:10 pm

Nothing like volunteering somewhere while you're there to really feel more like a participant than a spectator! I can't recommend the experience highly enough! And yeah, that creepy older greeter guy showed up on one of my shifts even though he wasn't scheduled and immediately made some of the newbie women greeters uncomfy. Someone needs to stuff a B.E.D. pamphlet up his ass.

Woof!
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 am

Caressed, groped, probed, man-handled, woman-handled, fondled, palpitated...

Otisserie

creepy old guys

Post by Otisserie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:21 pm

buttercups wrote:This was my second year as a greeter and it makes my burn. So fun. ANd the greeters are a phenomenal group of people.

The only drawback is this one long time greeter guy who is really creepy. I found myself trying to body block him from the women who came through. I have seen this dude make people incredibly uncomfortable....especially the virgin women who don't know what to expect. This guy takes real liberties. I saw him literally take a woman's chin and try and turn her face towards him to kiss her. She pushed herself off. He rubs on women and hugs them for super long times...picks them up. Lots look traumatized. Not sure what to do if there is anything to be done.
Greeters has shift leads and supervisors, and I wouldn't feel at all bad about clueing them in on his behavior. Don't assume that because he's a long-time greeter that they know all about him. After all, you didn't bother reporting him, maybe nobody else has either. It's not like you have to go up and make a big scene demanding his removal, it's as simple as saying "hey, this guy seems to be getting really creepy and inappropriate with people, could you keep an eye on him?"
I don't experiment with drugs anymore; I already know which ones I like.

buttercups

Post by buttercups » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:05 pm

Good advice. You're right...I did assume they knew him and must be okay with what he does even though it seems like a big liabilty to be grabbing women and having to get pushed off. I will say something next time. It was seriously harshin my greeter buzz and I felt bad for the ladies he got to.
Buttercup

skygod

Post by skygod » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:41 pm

Nobody likes the Creepy Old Guy Reach Around!
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

couglite

Post by couglite » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:00 pm

Monday at dawn greeter - red hair and beard - had a bit of a bitch session with me (don't know what it was about, but he had been at the gate since midnight, poor guy) - after he was done, he was right on track again; welcome home, ring the bell, roll in the dust! loved him.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:04 am

Sounds like he needs his nards "fondled" with a size nine. ;)

Misti
Burning Since: 2008

greeters

Post by Misti » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:17 pm

We had great greeters! we got there early and got to go in 20min after the gate opened. We were both virgins and had a lady say she had to check for plants and kittens, then she yelled out that she had two virgins in here and a guy came running over and said we had to come with him.

He took us out of the RV and was saying that his only problems with virgins is that we are too clean, then took us to the fluffyest part of playa by the gate and had us do dust angels flip over and do more so we were completely coated, then said to ring the bell and yell im not a virgin anymore. We got cheers and hugs and welcome homes it was amazing.

It really made a difference in the experience we would have had, before we went through the gate we were shutting the windows of the RV when someone drove by and made a dust trail and wiping our feet as we came in, after being coated in playa we opened the windows and accepted the dust. When we drove past the greeters party? a very drunk lady handed me a empty, muddy, smashed beer can and asked me to take it to recycle camp for her. It was so random I couldnt help but laugh at the whole thing so I got more cheers for taking the can with a smile.

The whole Welcome Home thing didn't make sence to us at first, we thought it was kinda silly and didn't know what to say. Later in the week it really meant something, The pictures of our greeters gate experience didn't turn out which makes me sad. I wanted to see the bewildered looks on our faces.

I wonder how much of a difference it would make to be greeted by a bad experience on your virgin year.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:23 pm

I skipped the greeters my "virgin" year. I had just thrown up and so we did it as quickly as possible so I could get to bed. I don't think it made a damn piece of difference.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Stories”