EVERYBODY SHOULD VIDEO THE COPS ALL THE TIME FOR YOUTUBE

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
VIDEO COPS 4 YOUTUBE

Post by VIDEO COPS 4 YOUTUBE » Sun May 31, 2009 11:44 am

Everyone should walk around taping the cops who are interacting with other burners and post it to youtube. Make both the cops and the people accountable! (note if you do this: get permission to post it from the people in the video after any incident you think you want to post - just tape yourself asking them the question "can i post this to youtube? and record their "yes" answer if they agree)

Law Enforcement is not a bad thing if handled fairly. There are good cops who risk their lives and there are bad cops with attitude too. There are also misinformed citizens who can't figure out what is legal and what is not, or how to be intelligent about breaking the laws they disagree with. That said, it is obvious that law enforcement at Burning Man is ridiculous, and I have law enforcement in my family's background so I am not just a misinformed whiner. Gung-ho rookies go there to "shoot fish in a barrel", going for silly drug arrests while ignoring more important problems. In my opinion, having seen it myself, they mostly have no apparent interest in helping the community to be safe - they mostly want to bust people like stamping "kills" on the sides of their warplane, or notches on the proverbial lipstick case. If the stories are true about unwarranted searches and so forth, it's easy to fix. Just have hundreds of cameras following these guys around to make them feel accountable. It would also be important to post examples of when the cops DO HELP people out on the playa, because some of them do. And we should expose the citizen whiners who don't know what they are talking about who complain unfairly also. Let's all get the real picture people and PROVE your point. The cops would have a chance to reply on youtube video channels too. Fair enough? The lawyers will have a great time too, everybody wins. Seriously, this is the future of law enforcement control and public education about it. :idea:

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sun May 31, 2009 12:45 pm

If you shot the video, and you were in a place you were lawfully allowed to be - you do not need permission to air your video, you own the rights to it.

It may be rude, but no release is necessary.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun May 31, 2009 3:47 pm

fair enough.

THEY (and i use this term loosely) have been filming us for years from black suv's with tinted windows, and i'm certain they're not from the google street view crew.

i hope THEY got my good cheek, i mean side.
Frida Be You & Me

Armand

Post by Armand » Sun May 31, 2009 11:17 pm

So where do the 100's and 100's of people recording come from?

Timezone LaFontaine
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by Timezone LaFontaine » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:11 am

Not only should everybody videotape everyone all the time, but we should videotape everyone from a dozen different angles so we can do that matrix thing in post.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:52 am

Jesus, here we fucking go again with the whole you and/or everybody else should follow through with my idea bullshit thread.

Suggestion to the original poster: why don't you fucking follow through with your idea and tell us all about it after the event.

Mm'k?

VIDEO COPS 4 YOUTUBE

my what a large,uh, assumption, you have isotopia

Post by VIDEO COPS 4 YOUTUBE » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:51 pm

my what a large, uh, assumption, you have isotopia. we are going to vid the cops this year, 20 of us, and we already have started to with 3 hours of tape around the black rock area too - cuz law enforcement is archaic and ridiculous all over nevada. i even opened a youtube site that can hold it all already. you dont get it that the post was a call to action - that is doing something in and of itself already.

... you didnt ask, you just attacked ... guess you wanted to hear your hater lips flap cuz you didnt even have an idea or comment about the thread so why dontcha move on to some other place that justs wants lip flappin haters like you.

m'kay?

suggestion for poster: get a life and lose your random need to spew hatred

now i have to quit watching this post because you are going to re-spew, i am sure, and it makes me sick. bye bye everyone. see you on the playa with your cameras...

VIDEO COPS 4 YOUTUBE

re permissions needed to publish video of other people

Post by VIDEO COPS 4 YOUTUBE » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:55 pm

[quote="mdmf007"]If you shot the video, and you were in a place you were lawfully allowed to be - you do not need permission to air your video, you own the rights to it.

It may be rude, but no release is necessary.[/quote]

thanks about the feedback and my understanding is that it is OK to collect the material and use it, but once you post it publicly there are legal issues to worry about, and yeah it's tacky and unfair to publish people if they dont want you to anyway :-)

i found this legal article about the topic that relates to podcasts too, you should get legal permission to PUBLISH a person's likeness or voice according to it...

http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2007/01/13 ... ermission/

VIDEO COPS 4 YOUTUBE

Post by VIDEO COPS 4 YOUTUBE » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:17 pm

[quote="Armand"]So where do the 100's and 100's of people recording come from?[/quote]

it's a call to action, and idea for anyone who cares - y'all can do it...

the point is that everybody who wants to get video of the cops (or even just pretend to so that they cops see a camera in their face!) can just do it, that is what youtube is all about on many subjects, people showing shit that happens!. a lot of people are pissed about the cops at burning man and any and all camera owners can do this - there are already "bad-copisms" exposed on youtube and other sites - let's use this power people, is what we are saying. i would like to use it on all kinds of haters, actually, but the cops have power so it really matters

after burning man there will be a youtube site up for this but if i tell it to you now i will get hassled so ya'll have to wait. anyway, everyone will soon know how to post their own stuff to their own youtube site now cuz hundreds of thousands already do.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:25 pm

VIDEO COPS 4 YOUTUBE, have you had trouble with LEO during your previous Burningman experiences?

Da Mule

Post by Da Mule » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:57 pm

Armand wrote:So where do the 100's and 100's of people recording come from?
Hey, my man Armand is back!!!

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:07 pm

"Have fun storming the castle!" -- Billy Crystal, THE PRINCESS BRIDE
Irony. You're soaking in it.

SilverOrange

Post by SilverOrange » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:19 pm

No offense, but following the cops around with a videocamera is just about the last thing I want to do at burning man.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:43 pm

SilverOrange wrote:No offense, but following the cops around with a videocamera is just about the last thing I want to do at burning man.

WINNER..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:58 pm

One hour playing w/ cameras is one less hour ingesting or distributing harmful substances, ie I heartily approve, for the sake of the kids.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

dr.placebo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:02 pm

This was actually tried last year:

[youtube][/youtube]

with mixed results.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:10 pm

giggling................
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:27 pm

jiggling
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:18 am

All I saw was Get Your Burning Man Supplies in the ads by google banner.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:08 am

yeah it's tacky

what kind of tacky? Liberace tacky? Tex-Mex Tacky? 1960's italian restaurant tacky? fake label Prada tacky? Circus Circus Reno Tacky? Godzilla Sushi on Divis Tacky? or just sticky tape tacky?

please define?
Frida Be You & Me

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:46 am

http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=2445&L=1

There is a pen and belt buckle too.

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:02 am

Nah, we should just all "OM" in unison in the presence of cops, meditate and generally envelope them in our good vibes. It really seemed to work at last years Rainbow Gathering. LOL

Hippies, gotta love 'em.
[youtube][/youtube]

I don't know about everyone's experience. I'm sure their are some bad ones but in my ten years I haven't had such a rotten experience with cops out on the playa. Off the playa may be a different story but I find the cops on the playa fairly passive and benevolent in comparison to the real world aka the city I live in. I'm not an angel. However, I know their is a time and place for everything and that there are risks involved. Running around filming cops at Burning Man seems like it is asking for more trouble than it is worth and somewhat antagonistic. No?

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:38 am

DL:
that's a good video. thanks.
one of the only of that type, I've seen anyway, that shows the "whole scene"...........not only can LEO's misbehave, but, so can hippies........and, escalation seems to be counter productive.........sure, defend, but, don't escalate or be aggressive........the commentary is well balanced, as well.
Again, all IMHO, but, thanks for that.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:07 pm

Let's just tape Paul Addis when he returns.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:17 pm

DaBomb

Two Good Reasons to Document LEO's Just Doing Their Job

Post by DaBomb » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:18 am

[youtube][/youtube]

and

[youtube][/youtube]
Love & Rockets,
DaBomb
http://www.BURNcast.tv

Sync

how's about...

Post by Sync » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:40 pm

I think you should take it to the next level. Have two camera people, one with an over-sized obnoxious and intimidating looking camera who acts like they may be stoned, and another with a concealed camera that hides and films the first person. So the person with the big obvious camera staggers up to the cops and gets in their face, tells them they will be posted on utube along with their name and badge number, home address and what fascist SOB’s they are (maybe you can say your going to Google them to find out their kids names so you can invite other people to ruin their face book pages.) Then, when you get a rise out of them, the second person can film the first getting arrested and beat-up. They can film the arrest, transport off the event, booking in jail, the hearing, what fines had to be paid, subsequent court hearings, interviews about lost work, humiliation ect. Then post the whole thing on utube. Boy, the joke sure would be on them!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:51 pm

whatsamatta dr. kirby surprise?

afraid they might video you?
Frida Be You & Me

flatlander13

Post by flatlander13 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:56 pm

Hey Sync......you forgot to mention the mini camera that Tube boy will be shoving his their ass to record all the good ass fucking he's going to get while in jail……I can’t wait to see all those giant cocks pumping at your face when their posted on U Tube………….wow Tube boy......you really know how to entertain people………

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:03 pm

problem is flatlander, you only scared half of the male population at burning man...

the other half think that you've offered up an extension to their vacation, with benefits.
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “Philosophical Center”