Making a smaller bike "bigger"

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
octoawesome

Making a smaller bike "bigger"

Post by octoawesome » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:13 am

So I recently bought a really crappy playa bike for $40. The bike I had last year was much nicer and taller, which is important because I am 6'2" and if I tend to get some back pain going on if I ride for too long on a bike that is too small for me... the downside of last year's bike was that the tires were far too thin and they kept getting stuck in the sand keeping me from riding it at all.

SO, my question is... what is the best way of making a bike that is too small bigger? So far I have just raised the seat, and that helped but I lean too far forward over to reach the handle bars. Do I just need to get a taller stem and some raiser bars? What do you bike folks think? Is it worth it, or should I just try to find a taller bike, and sell the smaller one to another burner?

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:37 am

Notsoawesome,

How the hell are we suppose to know? Self reliance is about making judgment calls and so far you aren't demonstrating this very well...

SilverOrange

Post by SilverOrange » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:33 am

Ape hangers

skibear
Burning Since: 2002

Post by skibear » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:51 am

Fix the bike so your ass isn't higher up than your head. LOL
Fine for racing but not for leasurely playa cruising.

And a widebody or padded seat that doesn't pound a hole in
your ass is most helpful.
crash & burn ski lessons given

octoawesome

Post by octoawesome » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:15 am

Thanks for the replies, except yours DoriumLux, way to be an ass.
I figured it out. I can throw some BMX bars on there and it should do the trick.

professorzed

Making a small bike, taller.

Post by professorzed » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:35 pm

I don't think the size of the bike itself is much of an issue. I knew a bike mechanic that was 6'4" and he used to ride on children's bicycles. All you have to do is raise the seatpost and the handlebars up high enough.

You could get another bike and give this one to another Burner. Then again, you could get another bike and add the frame onto this bike, making a super 'tall bike'. Not only would it be highly customized, easy to recognize, etc. it would allow you a great vantage point for checking out the playa.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Buildin ... Tall-Bike/

octoawesome

Post by octoawesome » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:57 pm

professorzed, thats what I was suspecting but now I know for sure! It would be really cool to build a tall bike (or trike?), but unfortunately I don't have access to the proper welding equipment at the moment... hopefully when I move I'll be able to set up a little metal working studio for myself and then I can create some nice contraptions to roam the playa on.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:06 pm

You might also try some longer crank arms, if you can still get enough ground clearance.

SonOfUgly

Post by SonOfUgly » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:31 pm

i had the same problem

not so much any more

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Raise the seat, most seatposts have a line showing the maximum you can raise it. Get some riser handlebars, when you put them on you will probably find that some of the cables will not be long enough. Replace the necessary cables (usually the front brake). . Lube the chain with a dry lube then ride for a few miles to make sure everything works.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:10 am

Steroids.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”