Q1: Thorough vehicle search? Q2: Strict H20 policy?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Epicurus

Q1: Thorough vehicle search? Q2: Strict H20 policy?

Post by Epicurus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:58 pm

Virgin here, looking for a little clarification on things.

Q1: The only info I've been able to find about the vehicle search at BM is from a "What to Expect at the Gate" list, which is quite popular:

> Your car will be searched at the Gate. Keep this in mind when packing
> and the search will be easier for everyone, which means you get
> through faster. If you have a large vehicle or a lot of stuff, we
> appreciate it when you help us during the search! Read the Survival
> Guide and know what items are not allowed into BRC!

Do I need things to be accessible/movable so that they can come out of the car? Will bags be opened? Just wondering how thorough it all is, this is a little vague for my comfort. I like to know what kind of privacy I can expect.

---------------------------------------------------

Q2: I have read it a few times that we should be well prepared with plenty plenty plenty of water, or else there may be problems. I am just wondering how strict the water policy is. If we do not have 1 gallon of water per person per day when we hit th gate, will we be rejected? Is there a strict minimum we are expected to uphold or are they lenient (say we plan to buy lots of coffee/tea/ice from center camp)?

Also, suggestions for the best way to bring water onto the playa would be helpful. Where can I find reliable water cans and jugs?

Your time is very much appreciated.
Thanks everyone!

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:09 pm

Don't you have anything less trivial to worry about?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Recoil

Post by Recoil » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:11 pm

I dont believe there is a minimum for anything. If you want to roll in with nothing but the cloths on your back i dont think anyone would care other then give you strange looks of ''wtf is that person thinking..'' but then agean how do they not know if you have all your stuff on a truck otw there or something.

Granted ive never been and i am a virgin my self but from what i understand this seems to be true lol
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:15 pm

If you are in a car expect your trunk to be opened and maybe a few things shuffled around in the car if it looks suspicious and is packed to the top. Bags and things like that aren't generally opened. I won't say what we are looking for. If you are in an RV/Trucks expect a more thorough search of bathrooms, rooms, large boxes, etc. Gate isn't trying to find your unmentionables or contraband just people trying to sneak in, fire arms, fireworks, dogs etc.

Water? No one is going to turn you away for not being prepared. However, there is a guide and a recommendation for a reason. You cannot buy water in BRC and I'm not sure why you would want to skimp on one of the few things that is vital to your survival especially as a "virgin."

Also, water jugs are pretty basic. If you cannot find those in your community how are you going to find your way to BRC? I'd figured that one out first before you ask anymore questions.

Reread the survival guide.

SonOfUgly

Post by SonOfUgly » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:42 am

had a truck with a canopy packed to the top and they some hoe made it all the way to the cab of the truck cralwing thier way lookin for what ever it is they were llokin for

really......your gonna buy all the drinks you need at center camp.....sittin there dehydrated waiting in a long ass line to buy tea :roll: ...........its not like your water will go bad if you dont need as much as you brought you can always gift it or whatever.....................best way to bring water to the playa = brown paper bag

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:31 am

They want to be convinced that there are no secret squirrels hiding and that you won't leave your dehydrated corpse on the playa.

They have turned away people without supplies.

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:15 am

It used to be I could bring my corpses in when I went to BM and dig a hole in the desert and dispose of them out on the playa. Nowadays they go poking around a bit so i had to find a new place for the bodies. But its really nothing too bad. Not every single car gets searched, but even if they do search you its a slight poke around. Not like the latex glove "drop your shorts" kind of search. Besides if you ain't harboring stowaways then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
-AJ )'(

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:30 am

I expect what you are wanting to know is;

The Gate Searchers are NOT law enforcement. They are looking for;

-Stowaways (this is #1 for them)
-unregistered mutant vehicles (this is #2 - have your approval letter)
-Dogs or other animals
-MOOP creating items (like plants, boas, etc)

to a lesser extent, they give you a once-over, and if you look TOTALLY clueless (no water, no food, no tent or shade), they might ask what's up.

They are not looking through bags (they do not have time). Offer them a cold beer or other drink (their job is hard and dusty).

Make their job easier by pulling back tarps before you get to them, unlocking doors, and in general making it so they can tell at a glance that a person cannot be in your rig.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:25 am

Recoil wrote:I dont believe there is a minimum for anything. If you want to roll in with nothing but the cloths on your back i dont think anyone would care other then give you strange looks of ''wtf is that person thinking..'' but then agean how do they not know if you have all your stuff on a truck otw there or something.

Granted ive never been and i am a virgin my self but from what i understand this seems to be true lol
I've heard of people being sent back for supplies. I'd love to hear how true that is.

But why wouldn't one carry enough water for the camp? To depend on tea from Center Camp is, um, stupid.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:45 am

AntiM wrote:
Recoil wrote:I dont believe there is a minimum for anything. If you want to roll in with nothing but the cloths on your back i dont think anyone would care other then give you strange looks of ''wtf is that person thinking..'' but then agean how do they not know if you have all your stuff on a truck otw there or something.

I've heard of people being sent back for supplies. I'd love to hear how true that is.

But why wouldn't one carry enough water for the camp? To depend on tea from Center Camp is, um, stupid.
Especially if you're cooking pasta tonight.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

joemomma

buying water

Post by joemomma » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:49 pm

You can buy water at center camp. But it's really really really cold and you have to chew it!

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:13 pm

If you don't come with enough water, Gate usually sends you to one of the deluxe mineral springs nearby to fill up, and they don't charge much for commemorative Waterford crystal decanters.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Lord Of Ruin
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:11 pm

[quote="AntiM"]

But why wouldn't one carry enough water for the camp? To depend on tea from Center Camp is, um, stupid.[/quote]

In general we don't police the food/water/shelter thing that hard...it is about radical self-reliance. But if we really get the sense that the person is completely unprepared, we might send them to DLot to be sorted out. No sense passing a known problem right through to the other departments like Rangers and EMS.

First year working gate I had a small hatchback pull up and they had about 6 jugs of water (gallon) with 4 people and they were not locals. I asked about the water and they said that's all they could fit and would just "figure it out."

As we searched the car, I chatted with them at their car window and they said they were virgins. The front passenger (I kid you not) asked "Do you know what stage Oakenfold is on and what day/time he goes on?"

I told them that Greeters would have better info, but generally I believed that Oakenfold normally played the Aloha stage right alongside the central food court. I also told them to try the falafels...they were the best.

Yes, we sorted them out in DLot....on opening night being that clueless might have actually gotten them or someone else killed in the dark.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:52 am

Bring at least a gallon of water per person per day, more if your using it to cook or bathe. You can also put ice from artica in big ziploc bags, and when it melts have ice cold water. Mind you, if you have food in this cooler, make absolute sure that food juices dont mix with the ice water. Food poisoning sucks, I speak from experience on this :cry:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Epicurus

Post by Epicurus » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:56 pm

To everyone who answered the questions I asked: thank you so much! Your time shall not go wasted on me.

And to everyone who didn't answer a question I asked: ...Thanks for visiting! See ya next time around!

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”