Burning Man 2010 Theme. Larry got it wrong.

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Abductor

Burning Man 2010 Theme. Larry got it wrong.

Post by Abductor » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:07 pm

2010 Burning Man theme should be:

COPS.

Fucking cops everywhere.

Cops strolling the streets en masse after sunrise, looking for paraphernalia left in conspicuous locations by careless partiers.

So many cops at night along the esplanade, a different set from a different agency was huddled every few paces, peering at everything, looking for probable cause. BLM Rangers, Sheriff, Highway Patrol, and who else did I see there? Homeland Security?

Cops dressed as burners, brazenly cooling off in their plainly marked SUV's between undercover stings.

And those were the ones we ones we could see! Many more were beyond normal sight range, inspecting us with their night vision technology.

I saw cops invading camps early in the morning, shouting angrily to awaken and frighten campers who gave them probable cause. I saw a group of darkwad cops slither in from the darkness, surround an art car and begin searching it, based on something they'd seen in the darkness.

How many fucking crimes with actual victims might have been prevented or prosecuted if every fucking agency wasn't dedicating part of their budget to busting clueless partiers at Burning Man?

Anybody privately own a desert, so we can Burn without half the nation's cops trying to ruin lives?

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:51 pm

The next Burning Man theme should be BITCHFEST 2010. I must be some sort of saint or at least some what intelligent to have never had any issues with the LEO's in over 10 years of attendance. In fact, I find them 1000x more tolerable than cops in the default world. I'm not saying all interactions are positive for all attendees but seriously, you sound incredibly paranoid. So what drugs were you on? Whatever it is, it obviously isn't working for you. You sound as paranoid as a schizophrenic. So really, what the fuck are you doing out there to attract so much attention to warrant your little tirade fest? Stay home and get high. It's much safer.

I smell a hippy.

Abductor

Post by Abductor » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:55 pm

I smell a troll, lulz.

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:09 pm

Abductor wrote:I smell a troll, lulz.
Okay, I'm wrong. You're just a brainless yuppie who rents an RV every year and has a brolicious time yahooing it up on the playa. You probably indulge in so many drugs that you misplace every single thing you seem to own from your umbrella, bike gear, instruments and even your precious IPOD. You then post a million lost and found ads on Eplaya. Am I wrong? :roll:

Abductor

Post by Abductor » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:10 pm

Cool post, bro.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:19 pm

Some actions are illegal. Cops bust people who are engaged in illegal activity. Cops have to patrol to detect illegal activity be it theft, drugs or whatever. I have never had any interactions with LEO on playa. I am also not breaking laws and not flaunting some personal philosophy that makes me think the laws are wrong and that my breaking of them is more than justified.

Stop breaking laws and live in peace. :)
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

LostinReno
Burning Since: 2009

Post by LostinReno » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:46 pm

DoriumLux wrote:The next Burning Man theme should be BITCHFEST 2010. I must be some sort of saint or at least some what intelligent to have never had any issues with the LEO's in over 10 years of attendance. In fact, I find them 1000x more tolerable than cops in the default world. I'm not saying all interactions are positive for all attendees but seriously, you sound incredibly paranoid. So what drugs were you on? Whatever it is, it obviously isn't working for you. You sound as paranoid as a schizophrenic. So really, what the fuck are you doing out there to attract so much attention to warrant your little tirade fest? Stay home and get high. It's much safer.

I smell a hippy.
You're the best Dorium :lol: :D
Between this forum and some of the complaints on Facebook I've read over the last few days, it cracks me up. Be happy Reno PD has nothing to do with Burning Man! You think the LEO's that were out there were bad?? OMG, they were so low key compared to what patrols default Nevada it's almost rediculous. This was my first burn and I was amazed at how low key they were compared to what we deal with in daily life! People have been complaining endlessly about the under 21 stings for alcohol consumption. Hellllllooooooooooooo! , this is common practice here and probably most other places. People have been constantly complaining about being ID'd and where to put their ID. I'm sorry, if you are still at the age where you get carded, shut up and carry your ID.(seriously, enjoy it while you can!!) Quit friggen whining about it. Smoking a bowl in Center Camp will also most likely get you busted. I saw a lot of that stupidity, C'mon people common sense still applies!
Ok, I'll hop off now! :wink:

Frankenstipe

Post by Frankenstipe » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:58 pm

Please don't feed the trolls people, it makes Domokun very angry.

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:24 pm

LostinReno wrote: ...Smoking a bowl in Center Camp will also most likely get you busted....
Not always - I was not working the event, I was a full fledged participant. I even have riding crop marks on my "cheeks" to prove it. But, more than once I saw "stupid is as stupid does" type behavior. At one point I did ID myself to one young lady. I think the look on her face when she saw my sheriff's ID and then the look of relief when I told her that it just wasn't cool to be smoking and passing around her pot pipe in center camp, to put it away and keep it out of public was a gift I won't forget. I hope she remembers too. I know someone from our camp was with me when I did that. Was that you Lost?
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

SageV
Burning Since: 1999

Post by SageV » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:10 am

Burning Man was so much better before _____________

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:39 am

Sage Venkman wrote:Burning Man was so much better before _____________
Bacon.

The bacon ruined it all
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Abductor

Post by Abductor » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:57 am

I had no prior expectation of such, but for me the tone was definitely set when the greeters told me that yet another additional law enforcement agency was patrolling the even this year, with their own art cars. And I saw it everywhere and it really made an impression on me.

Mmm bacon. My favorite response, ty. Much better than:

For me to have observed that much police activity, I must have been paranoid.

Or I must have been doing something illegal.

And the people being detained must have had it coming.

And anyone with an observation is whining, except you.

And I clearly don't understand the twoo meaning of burning man, unlike you.

skygnome777

Post by skygnome777 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:31 am

This was my first burn. I was told not to park on the esplanade or I would get ticketed.(I didn't even know I was on the Esplanade I was lost.) Otherwise, I had zero awareness of any law enforcement. From the way the forums made it sound I was expecting to have NARC's asking me where to get pot the whole event.
Nothing of the kind happened. If the LEO's rolled in at sun rise then I guess that seems more plausible but really I don't recall running into any law enforcement while at burning man.
Peace, love, intellectual stimulation, and good times!

Pink Daddy

Post by Pink Daddy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:37 am

You sure sound defensive...

People have different experiences with law enforcement at BRC. My last personal experience with law enforcement was last year's Burn. They drove their vehicle right into our camp. Instead of freaking out, running away, or trying to hide my stash... I went up and talked to them.

They were friendly, just checking out the area. I offered them some water and refreshments and they politely declined. After talking with them about how much time they're having to spend at BRC (they are working, BTW), they told me and my campmates a very interesting fact. They don't actively look for people doing things that they shouldn't be doing. It makes more work for them. They are observant and if someone is obviously doing something that they shouldn't be doing, they intervene.

Perhaps the greeter who told you that there were more law enforcement present, put you in the wrong mindset. It's like when you buy a new car. You don't realize how many people drive your type of car until you buy one. You suddenly become aware of the presence of something, when your attention is focused on it. If you didn't get the warning from the greeter, you might not have noticed.

If you completely ignored the police, they might disappear altogether (but don't do something stupid).
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: [email protected]) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs377.snc4/46069_461193081927_501436927_6807820_1244164_n.jpg[/img]

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:44 am

DoriumLux wrote:The next Burning Man theme should be BITCHFEST 2010..
We are certainly blessed to have a multitude of things to complain about.
Or stay home.

mojo

Post by mojo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:49 am

Abductor - please, please relate your observations to the folks who are gathering such info. There is a lot of effort being put into communicating with the various LEOs.

I think there are some problems with issues of probable cause and tactics that ride the edge of entrapment. I personally heard one BLM officer say clearly to another during a big party, "but I can't find anybody doing anything wrong"......as if this were a problem for him.
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:13 am

LEOs are supposed to find people who are doing something wrong. If they can't find anyone, then they are not needed.

mojo

Post by mojo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:18 am

Dougly, you give sage counsel - but it does make the slogan "To Protect and Serve" a little wonky......
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

LostinReno
Burning Since: 2009

Post by LostinReno » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:47 pm

Frankenstipe wrote:Please don't feed the trolls people, it makes Domokun very angry.
I thought Domokun only ate kittens if you didn't recycle or played with yourself too much?? Oh wait.....different forum! :shock:

Frankenstipe

Post by Frankenstipe » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:00 pm

[quote="LostinReno"][quote="Frankenstipe"]Please don't feed the trolls people, it makes Domokun very angry.[/quote]
I thought Domokun only ate kittens if you didn't recycle or played with yourself too much?? Oh wait.....different forum! :shock:[/quote]

Domokun is many things

Pink Daddy

Post by Pink Daddy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:18 pm

I think I just found my next costume idea...
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: [email protected]) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs377.snc4/46069_461193081927_501436927_6807820_1244164_n.jpg[/img]

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:05 pm

It is said that if all you have is a hammer, then you will see nails everywhere.

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:54 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:It is said that if all you have is a hammer, then you will see nails everywhere.
Who said that, someone from the DPW no doubt? :shock:

pandasex

Post by pandasex » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:54 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:
Sage Venkman wrote:Burning Man was so much better before _____________
Bacon.

The bacon ruined it all

yeah i ran across whichever street i was on as soon as i smelled bacon :oops:
I have post playa depression :(

Dave_techie

Post by Dave_techie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:20 pm

I made friends with some LEO's.

and didn't get their pictures.

that made me kinda sad. I'll miss those two BLM rangers.

they appreciated my annoyance at yahoos actually thinking the rocket was going to launch (seriously, HOW could you believe that?)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:49 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:It is said that if all you have is a hammer, then you will see nails everywhere.
It is also said that you'll hammer in the morning, you'll hammer in the evening all over this land.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

goathead

Post by goathead » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:28 am

DoriumLux wrote:The next Burning Man theme should be BITCHFEST 2010. I must be some sort of saint or at least some what intelligent to have never had any issues with the LEO's in over 10 years of attendance. In fact, I find them 1000x more tolerable than cops in the default world. I'm not saying all interactions are positive for all attendees but seriously, you sound incredibly paranoid. So what drugs were you on? Whatever it is, it obviously isn't working for you. You sound as paranoid as a schizophrenic. So really, what the fuck are you doing out there to attract so much attention to warrant your little tirade fest? Stay home and get high. It's much safer.

I smell a hippy.
Shit, 10 years ago they where much bigger jerks. Now they are mostly human, some even have a sence of humor, some who have been out many times are even friendly and smile.

The ones out there with the vests on crack me up though, always wonder if they think they are deploying to Bagdad.

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:58 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
It is also said that you'll hammer in the morning, you'll hammer in the evening all over this land.
If I had a hammer

I'd hammer all the time.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

goathead

Post by goathead » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:55 am

but wouldn't you have to change your name to jk then?

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:16 am

I think he has one of those "fleshlights" that are all the rage nowadays.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Return to “Stories”