Did we see you on I-80? Did we flash a sign at you?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Turnip

Did we see you on I-80? Did we flash a sign at you?

Post by Turnip » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:13 pm

In my blue GMC Jimmy with Illinois license plates and towing a U-haul, me and my campmates made the trek across the country the whole way on I-80.
Along the way, we indulged in the slightly-less-that-safe entertainment of flashing signs to people we thought were other Burners who were driving along side us on I-80 west. (The most popular sign said "Burning Man?")

Did we come across any of you?

My favorite had to of been the little white car that was packed to capacity with a hoard of young women and a luggage thingie on the top of the car. I think the license plates placed them from Indiana. The car was averaging what I guess to be about 45mph, I'm assuming because it was so overloaded with people and supplies.

I think it was in Wyoming when we passed them, noticed they were probably heading to BM and slowed down, hurrying to make up a sign to flash at them as they had to pass us.

The girl in the passenger seat was tired and painfully bored looking, and looked at us holding the sign in a bit of a confused daze, but when she read the sign her eyes lit up and she cracked a huge grin. I saw other occupants in the car clapping and laughing, and we all exchanged thumbs-ups and obligatory peace signs as we finally sped up and passed them for good.

I looked with no real hope of finding the white car at the event, and never did. Maybe now I'll happen across them, or another Burner we might have flashed our sign at.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...

klondike_bar

Post by klondike_bar » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:23 am

Our minivan passed a small bus of burners around nebrasca on the return home, and exchanged som honking and waves.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:14 am

Coming back, we spotted several of our friends from Utah.

mojo

Re: Did we see you on I-80? Did we flash a sign at you?

Post by mojo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:40 am

Turnip wrote:
My favorite had to of been the little white car that was packed to capacity with a hoard of young women and a luggage thingie on the top of the car. I think the license plates placed them from Indiana. The car was averaging what I guess to be about 45mph, I'm assuming because it was so overloaded with people and supplies.

I think it was in Wyoming when we passed them, noticed they were probably heading to BM and slowed down, hurrying to make up a sign to flash at them as they had to pass us.

The girl in the passenger seat was tired and painfully bored looking, and looked at us holding the sign in a bit of a confused daze, but when she read the sign her eyes lit up and she cracked a huge grin. I saw other occupants in the car clapping and laughing, and we all exchanged thumbs-ups and obligatory peace signs as we finally sped up and passed them for good.

I looked with no real hope of finding the white car at the event, and never did. Maybe now I'll happen across them, or another Burner we might have flashed our sign at.
Oh My God!!!!! I know them well and will pass this along ASAP.
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:38 pm

I love honking and waving at fellow burners on the way in and out. I had a green elwire man in the window of my van flashing at everybody who passed me.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

jennifee20

That was us! That was us!

Post by jennifee20 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:35 pm

My dear dear friend,

So we meet again! As the girl in the passenger seat who was tired and painfully bored I am happy to say we made it safely and that your sign helped to perk us right up! We were on the trip of a lifetime all the way from Kentucky and Wyoming wasn't near close enough to the playa for our liking. My group of friends and I have been going to BM for the last 7-8 years. This year was really special because out of 15-20 people that normally attend only myself and my 3 best girlfriends could make it this year (insert trip of a lifetime here). We were indeed in a white Ford Focus with a snail on top going exactly 45mph (this was before we discovered the overdrive option 1800 miles into the drive). After passing your delightful carload we decided to make our own sign and we ran into tons of burners along the road. At that point in the trip we had made something like 6,231 semi trucks honk and played every fashion of every road trip game ever created. So on behalf of all 4 young ladies in the vehicle. Thank you, hello, and Yes! We are going to Burning Man!

Jennifer and the Indiana girls

mojo

Post by mojo » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:37 am

jennifee -

Love you guys and see you soon!

oleg8888

Re: That was us! That was us!

Post by oleg8888 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:46 am

jennifee20 wrote:My dear dear friend,

So we meet again! As the girl in the passenger seat who was tired and painfully bored I am happy to say we made it safely and that your sign helped to perk us right up! We were on the trip of a lifetime all the way from Kentucky and Wyoming wasn't near close enough to the playa for our liking. My group of friends and I have been going to BM for the last 7-8 years. This year was really special because out of 15-20 people that normally attend only myself and my 3 best girlfriends could make it this year (insert trip of a lifetime here). We were indeed in a white Ford Focus with a snail on top going exactly 45mph (this was before we discovered the overdrive option 1800 miles into the drive). After passing your delightful carload we decided to make our own sign and we ran into tons of burners along the road. At that point in the trip we had made something like 6,231 semi trucks honk and played every fashion of every road trip game ever created. So on behalf of all 4 young ladies in the vehicle. Thank you, hello, and Yes! We are going to Burning Man!

Jennifer and the Indiana girls
Priceless !!!!! 8)

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:03 pm

Wow!

I can't believe I actually found the girl in the passenger seat.
I, myself, am the girl in the passenger seat. :lol:

I'm glad you guys made it alright! Every time we hit a steep incline, at least one of us in the car would sigh and say some variation of "Poor white car..." I'll have to pass along to the other occupants in my truck that you guys made it alright.

We are going to have to exchange email addresses or something.

Thank you sooo much mojo for passing this along for me. =]

Post by Karma » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:32 pm

Coolest thread I've read in awhile.

Jeez, I love Black Rock !
"God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh".

Voltaire

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:37 pm

Karma wrote:Coolest thread I've read in awhile.

Jeez, I love Black Rock !
Agree'd 8)

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:45 pm

Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto!!!!

wow.

tears.
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:10 pm

Great Story.
Great thread.
:D

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:24 am

I don't know if I saw your sign, but I ran into a lot of burners going east, even as late as wednesday.
I even ran into several at a rest stop.
One car I passed several times.
I met one guy who had his camper blown out of his pickup near the playa.

One person couldn't believe how clean the car was.
I wonder if other burners were fooled by that?

So are you guys from kentucky?
We should have a burn up there.

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:43 am

gyre wrote:I don't know if I saw your sign, but I ran into a lot of burners going east, even as late as wednesday.
I even ran into several at a rest stop.
One car I passed several times.
I met one guy who had his camper blown out of his pickup near the playa.

One person couldn't believe how clean the car was.
I wonder if other burners were fooled by that?

So are you guys from kentucky?
We should have a burn up there.
Hahah, we passed this one guy several times. I'm sure he was annoyed with by the time we got ahead of him far enough to not have to pass us.

Am I from kentucky? No, I'm from central Illinois, damn near Chicago. But within the next year or two we will be moving to the Metropolis/Paducah area onto my father-in-laws private property out in the middle of no where in Brookport...

Hmmmmmmm...
Now my gears are grindin'

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:07 pm

We had a sign in the back window of our camper that read "We will Burn no Man before his Time" and the first group of burners we ran across was at a gas station in Wyoming. They were from the Denver area. After that, things really started to pick up with mutual honking and thumbs-up back and forth. That is one of the things that really jacked me up as we got closer, and closer........

After the burn we camped for a few night in Utah at Flaming Gorge. There we met a guy from Cali who asked if we were burners, it was our dusty bikes. :lol: We even ran across other burners days after the fact headed back east. Some we kept seeing over and over as we each would stop for gas etc. Helped keep the burn alive.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

mojo

Post by mojo » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:51 pm

I use glass paint and put a BIG image of the man on the big back window of our RV - and one on the side window (for people passing).

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:59 pm

"So are you guys from kentucky?
We should have a burn up there."

There is a Kentucky burn.

We didn't really pass any other burners until...Utah? Salt Lake City, I think it was.

We were in a big white bus with "Dust or Bust" and other obvious signage ("4 tires in 2 days!"), pulling a trailer of bins and coolers.

Also met some sleeping in the parking lot of a tire repair place in Nevada somewhere. :roll:

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:08 pm

A Kentucky burn?
Do tell.
News to me.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:52 pm

gyre wrote:A Kentucky burn?
Do tell.
News to me.
Kentucky

* SynchroniCity
* KentuckyFriedBurn
* SomeWhatSmoulderingMan Lexington, KY
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

goodgodgreg

Post by goodgodgreg » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:58 am

I live in Elko so every year we have tons of burners come through. I work at the museum and I was happy to say at least 3 burners came in(seniors at that!). I am always willing to give good deals for people going to burning man.

The people that live here will look at the people at the grocery store and try to guess if they are going to burning man or not. If they have a cart full of alcohol and water, there are!

Return to “Stories”