SF Opera Sale - Utter fiasco - wasting your time

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
chrispburn

SF Opera Sale - Utter fiasco - wasting your time

Post by chrispburn » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:05 pm

For those who got their early today, I'm sure they founds some exciting costumes and/or great deals.

BUT, if you got there past 11:30am, you would have been one of the people waiting in line for HOURS in the hot sun, with NO INFORMATION about what was happening. SO the line moved slowly, and no updates. We started wondering if we would even get inside in time.

BUT then, somebody's friend stopped by with a report of her experience inside: The dumb asses at the Opera only set up TWO REGISTERS for people to check out. So the lines was moving slowly to get in, and then there would be another 2 hour line inside????

Yet, they did a HUGE publicity blitz, and got the word out. I guess emails are free.

But can't anyone put that together and realize there would be long lines. And couldn't someone have used a little brain power to figure out a plan to deal with it??? Yeah, hire 6-10 security guards, but only 2 cashiers???

So after waiting 3 hours to get inside to shop, you would be waiting another TWO HOURS in another line just to pay one of only two cashiers.

Has no one ever been at a grocery store or a home depot before? Could then not have made arrangements for at least a few more cashiers??? OR, if the were paying attention at all, they would realize that they had 300-600 people still waiting in line at 3pm. Could they have at least SAID SOMETHING to the hundreds of people waiting in line???

Seriously, at best this was apathetic. But it strikes me as very insensitive. I don't think any arts group or non-profit should treat people with such utter disregard.

We get it, a lot of people showed up. Good for them. But at least say something and let people know that they could be there in line for hours, only to wait another few hours.

So it's going on Sunday as well. I"d say either camp out at 4am, or just forget it and look for another opportunity for a costume sale or swap elsewhere.

It seems that the only thing the San Francisco Opera cares about the burningman community is your money. How naive of me to expect anything more

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:35 pm

It's a benefit for the San Francisco Opera, not for you, you pathetic turd.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

chrispburn

Post by chrispburn » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:23 am

and if I have an opinion to share, I should not? It was poorly executed. Very poorly. I fully support their desire to raise money. And it's up to us, the community to help their efforts. And that's why I was there. But when it turns into a disaster, my desire to be a supporter is superseded by my obligation to call a spade a spade.

and um, you are a bigger turd ?

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:23 am

chrispburn wrote: and um, you are a bigger turd ?
Yes Chris, he is Bob! :roll:
If this was the Operas first time having this type of event, then forgivness is in order. They may not have have anticipated the mob that turned out for their fire sale. If it happens again like that, then they should be blasted for their stupidy.

chrispburn

Post by chrispburn » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:33 am

my first post was pure rant, and some facts were overlooked:

It was not the first time the SF Opera has done this. I attended one 4 years ago, and it was bad. That time, I was one of the lucky ones to arrive early. I had forgotten the details, but after this experience, I remember that they only had 2 registers then too, and a long line.

I actually tried to find someone "in charge," and when I did, he confirmed that he had also ran the sale the last time, 4 years ago. I'm totally willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt, and be patient and forgiving.

But this was so egregiously insensitive to the hundreds of people in line, I would say it was downright RUDE.

And it was utterly naive to embark on a huge publicity blitz and then not follow through with sufficient resources to execute the sale. Or at least recognize it once the deficiency was obvious.

I felt that I wasted a day, as did so many other people. Which is unfortunate, since I'm sure there were some wonderful items, as well as a fun way to support the opera, since I can't afford to invest a few thousand dollars to buy tickets to the Ring cycle.

But instead, the experience has left me feeling that I was simply another wallet showing up to shop, nothing more. Obviously not a person worth being treated with any respect from the Opera

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:59 am

chrispburn wrote:my first post was pure rant, and some facts were overlooked:

It was not the first time the SF Opera has done this. I attended one 4 years ago, and it was bad. That time, I was one of the lucky ones to arrive early. I had forgotten the details, but after this experience, I remember that they only had 2 registers then too, and a long line.

I actually tried to find someone "in charge," and when I did, he confirmed that he had also ran the sale the last time, 4 years ago. I'm totally willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt, and be patient and forgiving.

But this was so egregiously insensitive to the hundreds of people in line, I would say it was downright RUDE.

And it was utterly naive to embark on a huge publicity blitz and then not follow through with sufficient resources to execute the sale. Or at least recognize it once the deficiency was obvious.

I felt that I wasted a day, as did so many other people. Which is unfortunate, since I'm sure there were some wonderful items, as well as a fun way to support the opera, since I can't afford to invest a few thousand dollars to buy tickets to the Ring cycle.

But instead, the experience has left me feeling that I was simply another wallet showing up to shop, nothing more. Obviously not a person worth being treated with any respect from the Opera
did you expect the opera to treat you differently than the rest of society does?............

Just 'cause it's in S.F. and, everything there's all "huggy"........well........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:13 pm

Like I mentioned on another forum (hi Bob!), it's a friggin OPERA sale. How many operas does a person need? I mean, they're all in Italian, which damn near nobody speaks, if you've seen one you've pretty much seen them all. At near the end some fat broad hollers her lungs out until your ears bleed. Leave me out.

Give me good old 'Mericans like Rogers and Hammerstein or even limeys like Gilbert and Sullivan. At least they speak English.

"They call me Miss Buttercup..."
"Oklahoma! Where the wind..."

Now that's music.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Don't worry.
Once enough people get burned, most won't go back and the crowds drop.
That's what happened with library sales here.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:15 pm

Yeah, don't go to library sales either, the lines are twice around the block and they make you wait hours to pay for a couple of swine flu contaminated Dr. Seuss books.

Basterds.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:30 pm

gyre wrote:Don't worry.
Once enough people get burned, most won't go back and the crowds drop.
That's what happened with library sales here.
To quote Yogi Berra, "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded".

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:36 pm

They now sell some books year round in the bookstore.

cutmeoffandcallmeshorty

San Fran opera sale fuck up.

Post by cutmeoffandcallmeshorty » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:27 pm

Jesus fucking christ! If you went 4 years ago and it was a fuck up then, Well, You should have remembered it would probably be the same again, Either you have short term memory loss or you doin way to many drugs.

Come over to Oakland and I'll lend you a few guns. Go back there and teach those screaming Homo's on the cash register a lesson or two.

THAT'L FUCK EM !

PS, Bring your excess drugs with you, I'll take good care of them...

PSS. You should have done what I did, Take a box of coffee and fresh crepes and wear some assless chaps and cut straight to the front of the line, When inside, Deliver the coffee and crepes to the cash register honies and tell em you have your stuff picked out but you looked hungry and overworked so I ducked out to get you a little something Thank them for volunteering their time and tell em you will be back in a minute.
Naturally they will insist that you come straight through the line and check out.
I woke up at 11.30, got there at 12.00. and was back home by 1.00 to watch the view on Tivo.
You silly sausage you......
coffee and crepes, $14.00
ass less chaps. 19.00
home in time for "the view" $ Priceless...................
"Tis better to be well disliked,
Than not liked at all."
Ned Kelly, 1884, Australian Outlaw.

Return to “2011 Share Resources”