World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims

All things outside of Burning Man.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:01 pm

There's lots of things that kill people. Whether there should be a day of remembrance for those things is debatable.

JK[/s]
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:07 pm

So, it's a political thing since a portion of those deaths are preventable. (Maybe they all are, but we'll never be able to stop them all.) Certainly driving too fast for the conditions after "a couple of beers" represents one of the stupider reasons to kill someone.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:17 pm

Fishy I miss my little bakatari too. :(
But neither one is coming back. The trail only leads forward.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:49 pm

jkisha wrote:There's lots of things that kill people. Whether there should be a day of remembrance for those things is debatable.

JK[/s]
I think you can have a day of remembrance for anything you wish... especially a lost loved one.

(((((Fishy)))))
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:54 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:So, it's a political thing since a portion of those deaths are preventable. (Maybe they all are, but we'll never be able to stop them all.) Certainly driving too fast for the conditions after "a couple of beers" represents one of the stupider reasons to kill someone.
You know, it's become very unfashionable to say this, but I can drive quite fine after a few cocktails--here that MADD??

I think that people that talk and text on their phones are MUCH MORE DANGEROUS and WAY MORE PROLIFIC than drunk drivers.

But either way, I don't think we need a national or international holiday for deaths caused by either.

JK
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:55 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:
jkisha wrote:There's lots of things that kill people. Whether there should be a day of remembrance for those things is debatable.

JK[/s]
I think you can have a day of remembrance for anything you wish... especially a lost loved one.

(((((Fishy)))))
I agree, I just don't think it should necessarily be a national holiday.

JK
JK

Sham

Re: World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims

Post by Sham » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:10 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I miss Scott. Still a great, big hole.
Scott must have been a special person. I'm sorry I never got to meet him. Was he a burner also, or did you start coming after he passed away? Fishy, the hole will always be there, but over time, the sadness will soften for you!
Keep the faith kiddo!

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:11 pm

Quote: You know, it's become very unfashionable to say this, but I can drive quite fine after a few cocktails--here that MADD??

Whoever believes this has to be a complete fucktard. Drinking and drunk drivers kill thousands of Americans every year, each and every one of these deaths is totally preventable and totally unnecessary.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:08 pm

jkisha wrote:I agree, I just don't think it should necessarily be a national holiday.

JK
Why not? Tell me... how does it make a difference to if it were?
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Deb Prothero

Post by Deb Prothero » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:30 am

((((((fishy)))))))

Some years this day of remembrance for Road Traffic Victims will coincide with another one: International Survivors of Suicide day is the Sunday before (American) Thanksgiving. Although this year the two holidays do not coincide.

Survivors of Suicide day was started in 1999 by Senator Harry Reid who lost his father to suicide. Every 16 minutes in the US, someone commits suicide and someone is left to survive with the questions of why.

jkisha, I'm not sure that there is any cost to having a day declared a holiday. There is no cost to the taxpayer that I'm aware of, there is no cost to anyone except those who choose to recognize it. But it does give solace to some and the opportunity to raise awareness about issues like drunk driving, impaired (by cell phone) operation of a motor vehicle or suicide.

It's the way we have national and international discussions about important topics that are otherwise ignored by the media.

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:17 am

Deb, I found a dusty and wrinkled copy of the Black Rock Beacon from 2008 this past weekend while cleaning and sorting stuff in the garage. There were articles on the front by both you and Caleb. I paused, read the articles again and thought of both of you. Life can take some odd turns.

Not to drift here, but Friday November 13th is World Art Car Day---honest! Get a glue gun and cover your car with stuff!

Deb Prothero

Post by Deb Prothero » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:28 am

Thanks for sharing that, Shambala. It was a good burn, 2008 and I loved the time I had with Caleb.

Crypto, I'll be thinking of you. The loss of mates is hard to bear. Some days its hard to live in the present when your future has been so radically altered by such a loss and you'd much rather dwell in a past that cannot be retrieved.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:26 am

It's not a "national holiday" it's a World Health Organization thing. Even if it is marked nationally it's mostly just proclamations and moments of silence. As for the "two beers" thing, Scott was at plenty of crash sites where the responsible driver would say when asked if he had been drinking that he had had "two beers." It was a damn funny joke in a way. And both his killer and my little sisters killers didn't think they were too drunk to drive. And I know in her case it was below the limit, but that guy wasn't driving appropriately to conditions either.
I do quite well. More than ten years in, less than four years in. But I do that well because when I do have the loss resurface I say to myself or others "It's back again and I'm sad." Not a magic pill, but in a couple of days I'm better.
Or should I have done that over the mourning in three months thing that Americans believe in like Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:09 am

LeChatNoir wrote:
jkisha wrote:I agree, I just don't think it should necessarily be a national holiday.

JK
Why not? Tell me... how does it make a difference to if it were?
It just seems to me that there are other more important things that government leaders should be focusing their time on.

My partner of 10 years committed suicide. That was years ago, he's dead, I'm over it. I'd rather see the time spent on teaching people to live in the present rather than dwelling on the past.

Though, this is just my personal feeling on this; It certainly not a battle I would fight or a crusade I would embark on.

I don't know how we ever survived discovering this country without professional grief counselors to get us over personal hardships. :roll:

JK
JK

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:45 am

J/K, you can be one of the most nonsensitive bastards on this whole damn E-playa!

If you dont have anything good to say, go sit in TMI!

Fishy is doing what she feels is the right thing to get through the loss of her loved one...back the fuck off!

(((((FISHY))))))

I have my momma hackles up, dont fuck with me Im Nokomarie!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

Deb Prothero

Post by Deb Prothero » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:56 am

Thanks PM, I was trying to think of how to say that.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:03 am

shit, and YOUR the journalist Deb!

(((((DEB))))))
For you too, in different set of issues.

Deb Prothero

Post by Deb Prothero » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:05 am

pinemom wrote:shit, and YOUR the journalist Deb!
yeah, but I'm constrained by being a polite Canadian. FU doesn't come out of my mouth quite as effectively.
(((((DEB))))))
For you too, in different set of issues.
thanks pinemom.

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:16 am

For shame JK.
This is not YOUR internet.
Disparate views are not to be expressed here unless cleared through the proper channels.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:10 am

How about just fixing that damn bridge? Wouldn't that be a jolly god start?

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:26 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:How about just fixing that damn bridge? Wouldn't that be a jolly god start?
I left a bunch on lether, levi and skin on that bridge in the 50s.. Some fuckwad was speeding and cutting lanes..Fixing the bridge wasn't the ansewer..

Deb Prothero

Post by Deb Prothero » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:41 am

theCryptofishist wrote: I do quite well. More than ten years in, less than four years in. But I do that well because when I do have the loss resurface I say to myself or others "It's back again and I'm sad." Not a magic pill, but in a couple of days I'm better.
Very wise words.
Or should I have done that over the mourning in three months thing that Americans believe in like Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy?
Fuck that shit. You're doing just fine the way you're doing it and setting a better example for the rest of us.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.

Albert Camus

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:55 am

Funny how you get only 3 months for mourning and yet you get 1/2 the lenght of the timeline of the relationship to mend a broken heart.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Deb Prothero

Post by Deb Prothero » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:58 am

oneeyeddick wrote:Funny how you get only 3 months for mourning and yet you get 1/2 the lenght of the timeline of the relationship to mend a broken heart.
That's so's they can sell more country & western songs, OED.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:00 pm

pinemom wrote:J/K, you can be one of the most nonsensitive bastards on this whole damn E-playa!

If you dont have anything good to say, go sit in TMI!

Fishy is doing what she feels is the right thing to get through the loss of her loved one...back the fuck off!

(((((FISHY))))))

I have my momma hackles up, dont fuck with me Im Nokomarie!
Fishy is more than capable of fending for herself.

JK
JK

jarjar

Post by jarjar » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:00 pm

(((((((((((crypto)))))))))))))

at least you know you will always be loved. i'm sorry you are hurting. i will call you tomorrow to make you smile, if only for a bit.

jarjar
"see what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass?"

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:37 pm

There are times when I miss the fact that Scott took care of me in so many ways, and I fucking don't want to have to fight this battle.

And it pisses me off that you're imagining stuff and laying it at my feet and saying it's me. Mindfuck, and I hate that.

Sometimes the best course is just to keep your mouth shut until the thread falls off the front page and no one posts to it again.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:28 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Sometimes the best course is just to keep your mouth shut until the thread falls off the front page and no one posts to it again.
BUMP! :D

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:38 am

Yes, I know Cryptofish can fend for herself!!!

But she's family~ buddy!

Return to “Open Discussion”