High on Burning Man

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:48 am

Hehe

And I'm so glad this thread has progressed from tragedy to farce...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

klondike_bar

Post by klondike_bar » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:25 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
jkisha wrote:I still don't get the Reno line.

JK
It should, eventually, get them to go off and try to buy drugs from some other, more hapless, burner. YOu don't have any, you don't know of anyone on the playa who does.
not to mention that many of the cops are from reno or nearby cities, and therefore you just made fun of thier home-turf police work :lol:

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Re: High on Burning Man

Post by goathead » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:22 am

avhouston wrote:Metropolis, here we come!

cant wait for BM 2010, but i have a few questions for experienced burners...

ive read of 'gifting,' and bartering, and about all the things (tangible and not) that you can share with people. of all these things that people will share, trade, or offer, i havent heard much in regards to sharing 'party favors.' do people share booze? do you have to trade for it? ive also read that cars are searched upon entering BM?? so who's bringing in the 'magic?' and how do people go about sharing such treasures? do you trade for it? do such occasions call for particularly special gifts in return?

let me know about your experience. hopefully my questions arent too forward. just trying to be prepared :wink:
hippies trying to speak in code, always so funny.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:07 am

i saw a couple magicians out there. As for booze, you could try trading for it or you could like hang out at the bar for a bit and see what happens...
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:18 am

klondike_bar wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
jkisha wrote:I still don't get the Reno line.

JK
It should, eventually, get them to go off and try to buy drugs from some other, more hapless, burner. YOu don't have any, you don't know of anyone on the playa who does.
not to mention that many of the cops are from reno or nearby cities, and therefore you just made fun of thier home-turf police work :lol:
ahh...that makes sense.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:18 am

oneeyeddick wrote:Sorry Deb, Asians don't like being generalized as Asians anymore.
Some do, some don't. Some will, some won't.

Inscrutable, insurmountable, ineffable and unflappable. But I keep trying. :)

Mister Satan

Post by Mister Satan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:38 pm

Homiesinheaven wrote:i believe you AntiM but does anyone have any actual proof of this? people seem to quote Nevada State statutes here all the time.
I don't know the specifics of Nevada law, but in most states it is not illegal for the police to lie to you, even after you've been arrested. Undercover cops often have a state issued drivers license under their fake name, credit cards, and a fake criminal history. Under cover cops are allowed to use illegal drugs, commit minor offenses, and in some cases have sexual relations with people they are investigating. And yes Virginia there are even cops that go to burning man as a participant like everyone else. The majority of people looking for drugs are probably just idiots looking for drugs. Prisons are filled with people that claimed they could spot a narc from a mile away. Young woman make the best operatives. Straight men like to impress women and make them happy. A good female narc can have a man eating out her hand within a few minutes. Avoiding expensive LE entanglements are amazing easy. Just don't leave your brain at home.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:15 pm

The supreme court says they can lie to you after you're under arrest too.
Unless you local sheriff or government dictates ethical behavior, assume they are lying.

Try to get your local police chief or sheriff to institute a policy of honest police officers.
It is their responsibility.

Mister Satan

Post by Mister Satan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:14 pm

gyre wrote: Try to get your local police chief or sheriff to institute a policy of honest police officers.
It is their responsibility.
I don't have a problem with LE telling lies to dangerous criminals to get them to testify against each other. I think that user friendly drugs should be legalized so that LE can concentrate their resources on the more destructive elements that prey on society. Somebody with a degree in pottery from UC Santa Cruz that grows ganja in his back yard doesn't disrupt society like some shit head that cooks meth in a motel room does.

If you are stupid enough to openly use illegal recreation pharmaceuticals in a public setting, I just don't have much sympathy for you when the oppressive police state gives you a Darwin Award. Especially if you travel to another state or country and openly disregard their laws.

If you are not freaked out by nudity please check out my gallery on deviant ART
http://art-terrorist.deviantart.com/

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:31 pm

If they can lie, by definition, nothing they say can be trusted.
Then they become comfortable enough to lie all the time.
So I have a police officer committing perjury about a minor and fake speeding ticket.
Before I'm done, I hope to prove it and have him fired.

When they are trained to lie, they keep lying.

Why would anyone on a jury be stupid enough to believe a lying police officer, regardless of how dangerous the criminal?
No criminal is more dangerous than a police agent breaking the law.
None.

Mister Satan

Post by Mister Satan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:58 pm

gyre wrote: No criminal is more dangerous than a police agent breaking the law.
None.
Nice bumper sticker, but it's not illegal for LE to lie to suspects to get them to confess or testify against each other. If you do the math you realize that only works on people that have actually committed crimes. Telling a car jacker that his buddy just ratted him out is as close to perjury as consensual sex is to gang rape :)

Other than identifying yourself you are under no obligation to speak to the police about ANYTHING! If you break the law and you are stupid enough to discuss your petty infractions against society with the police or anyone else, you deserve to be fined or incarcerated for being an idiot. If your 1989 Nissan Stanza is covered with NORML and Grateful dead stickers then maybe it's a good idea to not give the police permission to search your car?

Mister Satan

Post by Mister Satan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:18 pm

gyre wrote: So I have a police officer committing perjury about a minor and fake speeding ticket.
Perjury as in lying in court ?

Were you in the car with the minor when he/she was chosen randomly for victimization by the police? I obviously don't know all the details of the incident with the underage driver, but as a generalization I would say that an Junior living with mummy and daddy has a lot more motivation to lie about a speeding ticket than a cop does.

So if that cop is lying, then according to your logic he would be a greater threat to society than say Timothy McVeigh, Osama Bin Laden, or even Tommy Chong.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:40 pm

Minor as in minor speeding ticket.
If an officer will lie about something so meaningless, it is clearly a habit.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:47 pm

Mister Satan wrote:
So if that cop is lying, then according to your logic he would be a greater threat to society than say Timothy McVeigh, Osama Bin Laden, or even Tommy Chong.
Yes, absolutely.
Because of the lack of recourse, a crooked cop is the most dangerous animal.

And for the same reason, a cop is more motivated to lie than a criminal, not that perjury isn't common on that side.
But a criminal or citizen might be prosecuted for perjury.
Cops aren't.
And don't you get it that you are the criminal when they deal with you.

My official complaint brought the answer that they wouldn't investigate to prove the charge, because they didn't have proof of the charge!!!!
Kafka is hardly out of date.

Mister Satan

Post by Mister Satan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:49 pm

gyre wrote:Minor as in minor speeding ticket.
If an officer will lie about something so meaningless, it is clearly a habit.
My bad, I thought that your were speaking about an underage person or at least someone in the coal extraction business. Good luck with your ticket. If you set a court date there is a good chance (compared to Vegas) that the policemen will not show up. I also advise looking as straight as possible, or dress like you would to go to a job interview.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:56 pm

I drew a bad courtroom.
Even though the prosecutor believes I'm not guilty,he's fighting it tooth and nail.
So it's a rigged game.
I don't know if I can win.
The judge said I had proven a question of guilt, but still found me guilty with a reduced fine.
So, appealing.
They stuck me with huge court costs.

Mister Satan

Post by Mister Satan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:06 pm

gyre wrote: And don't you get it that you are the criminal when they deal with you.
We obviously don't know anything about each other, but I can assure you that I have had more then my share of harassment from bad cops, and I am not talking about getting an undeserved speeding ticket. In the mid 1980s the Gang Detail of the Fort Worth PD made an effort to be more politically correct by making some non Latino arrests. Since the Ft. Worth gangs are 99% Mexican, the gang detail decided to declare war on anyone that rode a motorcycle or even knew someone that owned a motorcycle. I became fed up with their harassment and went to the FBI and filed a civil rights complaint against Stan Ferguson and the Ft.Worth Police Dept. Over night all the harassment stopped. If I had been guilty, or if the cops had anything on me the investigation (harassment) would have probably continued. In fairness I don't what I would have done if some good Texas peace officers had not come to my aid and instructed me how to deal with the FBI.

When they gang unit lied to me and told me that me friends said this or that I just laughed, because I knew that they were lying to me. If I had actually been committing crimes then I would have been concerned about what my partners in crime were confessing too.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:16 pm

I've had to file complaints about texas cops too.

Hell, even republicans have to complain about the cops there.
Texas used to be famous for criminal speed trap towns.
They finally shut some down after they started getting international publicity for it.

Mister Satan

Post by Mister Satan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:21 pm

gyre wrote:
Hell, even republicans have to complain about the cops there.
What the fuck is that suppose to mean?
Are all your opinions tainted by your narrow political views?
It was political pressure from local Democrats that set the Fort Worth Gang Detail loose on a witch hunt to try and arrest more white people regardless of their guilt or innocence. Because it just wasn't fair that all the Mexican gang members being arrested were all Mexicans.

International publicity? Were you in China and saw a news report about a speed trap in Cresson Texas (lol)? For the record there are still plenty of speed traps in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and pretty much every state that I have ever been to in the past few years.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:35 pm

Just what I said.

People I know that swear the cops never do anything wrong, end up being the maddest when some cop does it to them.

I don't know if you're familiar with the demographics of texas politics, but whether you meet them or not, it's a bit nuts.
Last I heard, texas was still fighting for the right to execute retarded people that weren't defended by an attorney, a bush case.
And I think texas has one of the most expensive processes for capital crimes, but pays the least for legal representation.
So, more executions, less defense.
Who needs due process?

I never meet these folks, but someone is voting to support this.

I like the self defense law in texas.
So you're less likely to go to prison in texas for self defense.
But more likely to go to prison or be executed for something you had nothing to do with there.

Mister Satan

Post by Mister Satan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:38 pm

A Bush case? I don't recall Governor Bush ever being a prosecutor?
Or are you a pommie making a racist joke about the Kenyan legal system?

I support executing the mentally disabled if they are intelligent enough to drive thier car to escape from the scene of the murder. I wish that we'd execute car jackers and arsonists as well.
gyre wrote:J
But more likely to go to prison or be executed for something you had nothing to do with there.
Put down the herbal cigarette and stop making things up. This is not a creative writing thread :)

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:41 pm

Yes, arkansas has been de-certifying towns left and right.

And by international publicity, I mean international publicity.
Probably heated up when playboy magazine did a story on worst speed trap in the country, maybe following up on a car and driver series of stories and then the wire services and networks picked up the story.
You know, international news.
It was a small town just north of San Antonio, I think.
Maybe north of Austin.

The road up Mt Bonnell was named one of the best roads in the country at the same time.
I have to agree.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:44 pm

Mister Satan wrote:I support executing the mentally disabled if they are intelligent enough to drive thier car to escape from the scene of the murder. I wish that we'd execute car jackers and arsonists as well.
gyre wrote:J
Put down the herbal cigarette and stop making things up. This is not a creative writing thread :)

Check the facts.
Like anyone needs to make anything up.
Old news.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:46 pm

In fairness, some people think Louisiana is worse, especially if your income is low enough.

None of the states have much to be proud of, where it comes to adequate representation.

Mister Satan

Post by Mister Satan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:50 pm

I don't know if they ever changed it but for years Louisiana had the most liberal seizure laws in the US.

zachass

Post by zachass » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:45 pm

I love this thread. In all of it's factual, snarky goodness.

At Coachella last year I had a narc come up to me and say "look at the size of your pupils. Where's the E at?"

:lol:

Really? Seriously?

What narcs don't know is it'd be much easier to get what they're after if they simply knew more than what they know, if you know what I know.
Treat people like you want to be treated. Really...it's simple and it [i]actually works[/i]

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”