Burning Man = Temporary Stupid Zone

All things outside of Burning Man.
flatlander13

Burning Man = Temporary Stupid Zone

Post by flatlander13 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:30 am

What STUPID things have you done while at Burning Man…..we promise not to hack on you toooo much, really…….I’ll go first.

In 2009 I volunteered to be a Greeter. I was told that Greeting was GREAT; which it would be, except I mostly don’t like to be around people. So…..being a Greeter sucked every bit of energy I had to do a 4 hour shift….

Ya, I can hear you thinking…….why does this moron go to Burning Man if he doesn’t like to be around people…….answer: With 40,000 to 50,000 people all pointing at themselves and yelling “Look at ME!!!â€

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:46 am

I cracked open an 80.00 bottle of absinthe, thinking that DPW guy would appreciate it.........
other than taking the bottle and chugging, the only worse thing he could have done was mix it with soda..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

justfred

So much stupidity, so little time

Post by justfred » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:00 am

One year, worked 12 hours in the sun as a greeter, went back to camp, passed out, lost a day. Earlier the same day, threw myself off a scooter and dislocated my shoulder (then popped it back in place myself).

With XARA one year, did not argue strongly enough that we weren't using enough tiedowns.

Several times, asked to help and ended up pounding crummy thin long useless rebar for hours - one of the many reasons I'm still a rebar hater.

One year, took a vehicle that I didn't know well enough and went 35MPH from Victorville to Reno with three bad flats, two days.

Spent an afternoon in a tent working on a project, got dehydrated.

One year, fell in love with a woman that I shouldn't have.

One year, didn't take any utensils - but the stupid part was, waited half the week to ask a neighbor to borrow them.

Built a wooden tower structure without diagonal braces.

One year, forgot my tent and my sleeping bag.

Last year, worked WAY too many hours as a green dot. Also took instructions from another ranger verbatim even though I knew they were stupid.

One year, left chocolates with special ingredients in the cooler and had the ice melt.

One year, decided that was a good week to kick caffeine. Ended up going to bed 10PM several nights.
What goes around, comes around.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:18 am

I was greeted by someone who apparently didn't like people. Weren't we all?
It was probably you, Fred.

justfred

Post by justfred » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:28 am

Not me, I love people. Especially ravers, if you put enough barbecue sauce on 'em.
What goes around, comes around.

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:32 am

I brought my needy/jealous boyfriend with me to Burning Man.

Roberto Dobbisano

DUST STORM!

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:48 am

With XARA one year, did not argue strongly enough that we weren't using enough tiedowns.

2002....on the 2:00 corner, total wipeout of the Lust Monkeys.

it was beautiful though, while it lasted....real turf and all..
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

ragabashpup

Post by ragabashpup » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:06 am

My virgin burn I didnt wear sunscreen. I had to hide in the shade from Wends - Sunday...it was horrid
Ragabadger don't give a shit.

flatlander13

Post by flatlander13 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:20 pm

My sophomore year at Burning Man I brought my own boom box and music in a camp that was all gay men except for me, Ibdave and Mrs. Ibdave. My boom box got used and has never been the same. As far as playing my own music………I was slapped away from the boom box controls on every attempt……..thus, I listened to even more techno music than normal (at Burning Man) and now like techno………..

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:I was greeted by someone who apparently didn't like people. Weren't we all?
It was probably you, Fred.
I;m just wondering how someoen with so much on the ball ended up a greendot.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:11 pm

my first year I drank too much alcohol & not enought water one evening & was VERY hung over the next day. it REALLY sucked. & NO I didn't drink pickle juice. ew!!
don't forget to floss

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:25 pm

Went down The Wedge face first-- who didn't?!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

flatlander13

Post by flatlander13 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:24 am

I took my best friend to Burning Man……….

He then proceeded to divorce his wife, move to San Francisco, and is now in the process of becoming a member of Burning Man Organization……..

Some of my group of friends that my friend and I belonged to blame me for my friend’s choices of divorce, moving and such……thus, I am no longer invited to events that this group has…….even though my friend’s wife and I are good friends.

So…….best friend moved away and I am scorned by most of the people I would call friends……..that is except for my Burner friends……..funny how people are……..

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:30 am

Flatlander13...now that way sucks ass!

I would liberate the man even further...he should stand up to these other friends and explain that one man cannot make these things happen...that if it happened, it was already in jeopardy!

Im sorry but, for another burner to blame another burner for the outcome of a BM experience has on a persons default life, has absolutely nothing to do with who TOOK THEM TO BM!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

Boijoy

Post by Boijoy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:21 am

flatlander.... did ya fuck him or something??? :lol:
don't forget to floss

flatlander13

Post by flatlander13 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:39 am

Nope….I didn’t fuck him……I wasn’t even there holding their hair when he, she, they or it were sucking his dick……..I

Boijoy

Post by Boijoy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:55 pm

hu.. well that blows my theory of why his dumb ass friends are blaming you for the split then..
don't forget to floss

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:43 pm

flatlander13 wrote:My sophomore year at Burning Man I brought my own boom box and music in a camp that was all gay men except for me, Ibdave and Mrs. Ibdave. My boom box got used and has never been the same. As far as playing my own music………I was slapped away from the boom box controls on every attempt……..thus, I listened to even more techno music than normal (at Burning Man) and now like techno………..
This seems to me an example of the Stockholm syndrome: a paradoxical psychological phenomenon wherein hostages express adulation and have positive feelings towards their captors that appear irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims."

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:58 pm

ygmir wrote:I cracked open an 80.00 bottle of absinthe, thinking that DPW guy would appreciate it.........
other than taking the bottle and chugging, the only worse thing he could have done was mix it with soda..........
But... did he appreciate it? There is a difference between taking a healthy pull off a bottle in appreciation of the fine gift, and just chugging it because it's 136 proof booze and he was trying to prove something (maybe that he was an azzole??)...

What stupid fuck shit stuf have I done? Lessee... I worked for bmorg the first 3 years I burned. For a group of people who ended up treating me like shit (fucking wannabe office politicans), and my last year there left me stranded on the playa, sans gasoline. It was, indeed, the crowning blow to an absolutely fucked fucked fucked burn. Skipped 2 years, so I could still say "last year was better"...

Blompson
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by Blompson » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:08 pm

getting blackout drunk.. i feel very stupid about destroying my ability to remember for any amount of time during an event which is so consistently memorable.
History does not repeat itself, though it often rhymes.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:24 pm

My stupid thing; Missing out every year until this year.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:39 pm

Victorian wrote:My stupid thing; Missing out every year until this year.
there's a difference between stupid and uninformed.........

you are now becoming informed, on the way to experienced.........
good job.

[youtube][/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

klondike_bar

Post by klondike_bar » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:54 am

overdoing it on wednesday night's "white party", and being unable to accomplish anything all thursday (even missed infected mushroom-had to settle for daft punk)

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:50 pm

Uh...well...too many to mention and most are best not mentioned here.

I always seem to come home with unexplained bruises of some kind.

I mean my...uh...friend does.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:40 pm

1durphul wrote:I brought my needy/jealous boyfriend with me to Burning Man.
That takes the cake. Oh man... I've had burns (like '02 and '08) ruined by that situation myself.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:19 pm

ygmir wrote:I cracked open an 80.00 bottle of absinthe, thinking that DPW guy would appreciate it.........
Egads...without even a proper louche.

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:17 pm

Waiting 2 hours out by the temple for my conclave group to show up and rehearse. Missed camp dinner. got heat stroke. Finally tracked them down and rehearsed. Had no fun that night.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:50 pm

OnceTheDustClears wrote:
Egads...without even a proper louche.
I'm sure he spelled his name with a "D".............proper or not.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

xaramonkey
Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: yet Xara still remains

Re: DUST STORM!

Post by xaramonkey » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:

2002....on the 2:00 corner, total wipeout of the Lust Monkeys.

it was beautiful though, while it lasted....real turf and all..

That was 2000. Trust me. Hi Fred! I second the motion. Whatta mean not using enough tiedowns ? We had a couple a hundred feet of rope holding the structure down, but it wasn't until after the launching of the Biggest Box Kite Burningman Has Ever Seen that anybody with a clue noticed the "rope" was clothesline that said right on the package " 50 lb. test " Someone who shall remain nameless (Keith !) was in charge of that. Jeez-o, talk about a "proper louche"
I said to the Good Abbot John: "Why would monkeys go from being covered in fur and having thumbs on 4 limbs to being naked and only having thumbs on 2?" He said to me: "Maybe we didn't come from monkeys, maybe THEY came from US."

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:20 pm

That was 2000. Trust me. Hi Fred! I second the motion. Whatta mean not using enough tiedowns ? We had a couple a hundred feet of rope holding the structure down, but it wasn't until after the launching of the Biggest Box Kite Burningman Has Ever Seen that anybody with a clue noticed the "rope" was clothesline that said right on the package " 50 lb. test " Someone who shall remain nameless (Keith !) was in charge of that. Jeez-o, talk about a "proper louche"
I remember that--because it was my first year! Xara blew my mind. I seem to remember an indoor forest of giant toadstools and real grass. (I'm almost afraid to ask if there's pics, 'cause my memory might have made it even greater.) It was a fantastic thing for a virgin to have seen. I count myself incredibly lucky to have visited.

If I remember correctly, doom came in the form of a 4 hour windstorm on a Wednesday afternoon . . .

Return to “Open Discussion”