Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:08 pm

hahaah, well, good thing you've got two hands...............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Post by wraith » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:40 am

Well, time to jump right in. Heyla, I'm wraith, out of the middle of nowhere known as Iowa. Just finally getting up the decision to go burn, since my normal life is boring me to tears and I am dying for an outlet to my impulse to building outrageous stuff.

Probably not going to make this year, since 4 months isn't much to do the logistics on a small budget, but 2011 is a definite go! :D

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:45 am

wraith wrote:Probably not going to make this year, since 4 months isn't much to do the logistics on a small budget, but 2011 is a definite go! :D
Don't make me tell the story of "The Little Engine That Could"! You can do anything you want to, as long as you set your mind to it. Buy a small tent and a sleeping bag and work outward from there. 4 months is a huge amount of time. Now just buy your ticket!

......and WELCOME! :D

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:36 am

It's true! If you set your mind to it, things can happen. But the other side of that is don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work out either. it took me three years of trying and I made it on the fourth one. Things just fell into place.

Hmmm... actually the thought just hit me of how different a path my life might have taken had I gone earlier than did. Glad I made it in the time that I did.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

wraith

Post by wraith » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:19 am

Shambala wrote:
wraith wrote:Probably not going to make this year, since 4 months isn't much to do the logistics on a small budget, but 2011 is a definite go! :D
Don't make me tell the story of "The Little Engine That Could"! You can do anything you want to, as long as you set your mind to it. Buy a small tent and a sleeping bag and work outward from there. 4 months is a huge amount of time. Now just buy your ticket!

......and WELCOME! :D
This is a terrible temptation. And of course, the only way to deal with harmless temptations is to indulge them and see what happens. We'll see how the interview for the new job goes next week, and from there I'll see what I can make happen. :D

Moments in time only happen once, right?

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:00 am

wraith wrote:Moments in time only happen once, right?
Yes, then the Langoliers eat them.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

masho

Post by masho » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:47 pm

wraith wrote:Well, time to jump right in. Heyla, I'm wraith, out of the middle of nowhere known as Iowa. Just finally getting up the decision to go burn, since my normal life is boring me to tears and I am dying for an outlet to my impulse to building outrageous stuff.

Probably not going to make this year, since 4 months isn't much to do the logistics on a small budget, but 2011 is a definite go! :D
Do what have to do wraith but 4 months is plenty of time to get your freak ready (unless you are exceptionally freaky?) :wink:

wraith

Post by wraith » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:27 pm

[quote="masho"][quote="wraith"]Well, time to jump right in. Heyla, I'm wraith, out of the middle of nowhere known as Iowa. Just finally getting up the decision to go burn, since my normal life is boring me to tears and I am dying for an outlet to my impulse to building outrageous stuff.

Probably not going to make this year, since 4 months isn't much to do the logistics on a small budget, but 2011 is a definite go! :D[/quote]

Do what have to do wraith but 4 months is plenty of time to get your freak ready (unless you are exceptionally freaky?) :wink:[/quote]

Not terribly, alas. :D But I am one of those folks who prefers to be superbly over-prepared for things like camping in the middle of a wasteland, so want to get everything in order. Still looking doable, though.

thesandman

Post by thesandman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:00 pm

looks like i need to say hiiiiiiiiii to every one i am about 40 from tempe arizona yes a spot hotter then black rock way to go arizona.

LemurLad

Post by LemurLad » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:50 am

Hey folks, this'll be my first trip to the playa. :) I'm 19, San Diego native, in Santa Cruz at the moment for school, but gonna stay home next year. Can't wait to get out there and have the experience of a lifetime! :D
~All who wander are not lost~

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:42 am

thesandman wrote:way to go arizona.
Get those nasty aliens out of our Great Country!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

GutteralRetch

Post by GutteralRetch » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:59 pm

Hello, Retch here. Been desiring to go to Burning Man for the past 6 years. Had an itching desire to visit the website to find out more. Saw "Choose a Theme Camp", browsed the TC list. Saw APOK in Terminal City - and bent right over. :D

Birgin, male, excited, wanting the experience NOW.

Have a nice day.
Dr. Gutteral / Mr. Retch

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Fri May 07, 2010 6:20 pm

This is a dually hello to LemurLad & GutteralRetch, Hello :D ! We have a first-timer going with us this year, love seeing their eyes sparkle with free-ness! You own your week out in the dust---B e c o m e friend :D
☕ COFFEE CAMP X:
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2019 // 8 & B :.

ramsey75

Post by ramsey75 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:01 pm

Hello, I'm Tony Ramsey...

I just began really thinking about Burning Man very recently, and would love to attend, though not this year, I dont think. Too much prep and money involved for this year...

Nice to meet you all!

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed May 26, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi Lemur and Gutteral-- welcome! Experience of a lifetime indeed! Many of us who build large art for Burning Man can't wait to blow your fucking minds!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

mournlight

Post by mournlight » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:10 pm

I've also wanted to go to BM for years. This year it is happening! I'll be going alone, bringing all my own stuff, and I guess just camping out in the solo area. I don't know anyone else who is going, but that's part of the attraction. No expectations - I can be whomever I choose to be! I'm very excited. Got my ticket, got a crazy list of items to bring that I'm working on. I've even built a little pvc shower booth to bring. My biggest problem will be introducing myself to folks and "letting go" to have adult child-like fun. I'm so used to parameters!
It's a long drive from TN but it will be so much fun! The closest regional is like 4 hrs away so if anyone hears of anything closer to middle TN let me know.
Oh - and that "about me" stuff - single, love outdoor activities like canoeing, hiking, motorcycle riding, love art, love UNIQUE people, and love visiting out west.

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Welcome mournlight :D ! Yea, I think it takes everyone one half to a full day to "demodern-soceitize" (get the loop of popular culture, advertising, and defaultia living unwinded), as well just acclimating your body (if don't already live in the desert) to the altitude/climate/etc. Just be yourself, be happy & don't have any preconceived notions...all will be the way it should be :wink: see ya in the d u s t
☕ COFFEE CAMP X:
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2019 // 8 & B :.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:48 pm

There's Missouri, Kentucky, I think, Texas, Georgia, and so on.
Not the same though.

I'm in tennessee too.

gybek

hi I am John

Post by gybek » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:30 am

I am looking to volunteer at this years Burning Man... This is quite exciting for me.. I am looking for any helpful hints for a newbie..

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:34 am

Have you been before?

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:14 am

Lousiana also does a regional burn and there is a post-burn in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. But I have never been to any of them. BM will be my first burn ever.
We break to remind us how to mend.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:56 am

Hi mournlight,

It’s a long, but very fun drive from around these parts, and a portion of the event that I enjoy just as much as the week in the desert. It’s always hard for me to shake off the default world as well. I’m not the type to just instinctually walk up and talk to people, so it takes me some time, even now, to remember that it’s ok to be more open. But the playa has a way of breaking down those walls if you let it.

And welcome, gybek! There’s lots of opportunities to help out with projects. No need to line anything up first. Just go, explore, and you’ll be helping with something before you know it.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Bleedingpickle

Post by Bleedingpickle » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:46 pm

I am Shannon and I turn 30 shortly after BM this year. I met a ten year veteran burner through her personal massage business about a year and a half ago but we didn't start talking BM till about 2 months ago. My husband and I work long days and try to make our art living with our 3 felines, Mephistopheles the Hamster and fish. We always are looking to work on projects freely for people, but we are fairly reclusive so we don't know too many. We understand what it means to take something out of your head and give it a form. People need art. It wakes us up and helps us get some of the fire out. I have swirlies ready to give away. Anyway. My woman approached us with a need for our skills to paint pieces of her camp and welcomed us with open arms into her home so BM has kinda come to us at a very difficult time in my life. My husband and I are very different people, however. I do not think he would allow himself to enjoy BM. His only fear is of losing me, but that's exactly what I've spent the past five years finding. He knows I am a supersensitive sponge for all energies around me and that I know the taste of the dark. He also knows if I choose something it is my choice to be made. I am Shannon. Because of circumstances, 2011 will have to be my year...I am already there.
Be like water.

mournlight

Post by mournlight » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:50 pm

Hi and thanks, Gyre in TN and others....
Wow, the planning has sure taken hold of my head! I'm already having more fun by just daydreaming more! So BM is already a success for me and I'm not even there yet. I'm almost giddy with excitement. Isn't that crazy? I'm bringing a lot of stuff along. I hope I'm able to to the success of 2010 in a meaningful way. Woohoo!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:42 pm

Bleedingpickle
What an unfortunate situation. I don't know how you reassure someone that doing something different isn't running away. Is he coming, too? If so, encourage him to find his own focus on the burn. Burning vicariously isn't particularly healthy. Or is he staying at home?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

googbox

Post by googbox » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:16 am

Hello! I think I should introduce myself.

I'm Michelle, I live in Reno. I've been wanting to go to BM for 16 years since I was a college freshman and a friend invited me. I didn't go b/c I couldn't afford the $50 ticket and didn't have any camping equipment. Then I fell in love, got married, my husband didn't want to go and didn't want me to go, and I had kids, and all that. 3.5 years ago, I got a divorce, and set my sight on burning man. Financial troubles, new jobs, etc got in the way until 2009, when I FINALLY made it out. The minute I stepped foot on the playa, I felt this overwhelming feeling of coming home. For YEARS I had been hearing that I needed to go to BM. I think I got there when I had to, but I wish I could've gone sooner.

Last year I camped w/ a theme camp. This year, not so sure yet. We have a family camp (Slamhounds) that is a bunch of my friends but not an official theme camp.

Since my first burn, I've learned to make costumes, hula hoops, shade structures, toys, jewelry, wigs, etc. I love how it inspires creativity in all areas of life. Now when something breaks, I figure out a way to rig it up or turn it into something else instead of getting rid of it.

I just got home from a weekend in Black Rock and am even more excited now for this year's adventure!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:55 am

Don't worry about where you camp. A group of friends is just fine.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Bleedingpickle

Post by Bleedingpickle » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:52 pm

I can see how my previous post may seem to some and I ask forgiveness for my self centeredness. These are hard days. My husband and I have had the appropriate discussion on the matter and I'm pretty sure he will be at my side in 2011.
Be like water.

PugRay

imelda marcos and museum (I've walked more than a mile)

Post by PugRay » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:13 am

Hey I'm PugRay.
I'm a North Sider from the Second City. I've known about the burn for many years though the concept of a sojourn to one of the most foreboding and unforgiving environments in the known universe for any reason didn't really appeal to me. It wasn't until I took the time to get to know some in the burner community that I recognized the burn is one of many personal benefactions that I have yet to experience. As I began to comprehend more about BRC and its illusory mystique my imagination flooded. I envisaged how I would forge and sculpt my additions to the playa canvas. Though I knew without first hand experience I would not have enough appreciation for its genius loci to quantitatively add without detracting greater. So I decided to put my default skills to use and participate through volunteering at a regional burn. I'm very grateful I did. I'm currently preparing to depart for Metropolis knowing I may never arrive. Though not born of the ayenbite of inwyt the perspective may seem harsh. It is, however, the explicable verisimilitude of the now.
At this point if I were to start an installation perhaps it would be a larger than life replica effigy of Imelda Marcos and the many soles she amassed at the expense... Pfffft. Not even close but here's a really cool snippet anyway. Enjoy & I hope to see you at Metropolis.

[youtube][/youtube]
"The truth is incontrovertible.
Malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end, there it is."

~Winston Churchill~

mournlight

Post by mournlight » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:24 pm

LeChatNoir, I didn't notice until the second time I read this that you're from Louisville. That will be as long a drive as I will have, but you're right that it is a good drive. I've done it several times before, usually on a motorcycle, so it's a breeze in a four wheeler! I don't think I would try to do BM on the bike, though. It would be too hard to carry just the water alone.

Don't you just love the sky from the western states? We can no longer see all those stars from here...

------------------------

LeChatNoir said, "Hi mournlight,

It’s a long, but very fun drive from around these parts, and a portion of the event that I enjoy just as much as the week in the desert. It’s always hard for me to shake off the default world as well. I’m not the type to just instinctually walk up and talk to people, so it takes me some time, even now, to remember that it’s ok to be more open. But the playa has a way of breaking down those walls if you let it."

Return to “The Greeter's Station”