small stove ideas

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
thesandman

small stove ideas

Post by thesandman » Sun May 09, 2010 12:26 am

looking for a small stove idea trying to decide between Propane or butane, going to use it most too boil water for freeze dried camp food and MRE,s the 16 oz propane cylinder are easier to get then the butane but have not look at ease of lighting or how the work in high wind yet.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun May 09, 2010 7:19 am

propane is much easier to get, and, usually, you can convert them easily to use the larger BBQ type tanks, saving fuel money.

IMHO, that is.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Sun May 09, 2010 7:55 am

For non backpacking application, the cheap Coleman burner plate that screws directly onto the 1 lb propane cylinder and comes with a base plate foot does a nice job of boiling water in a decent amount of time.

They are typically in the $20 range and I've been using mine for many years.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun May 09, 2010 7:57 am

I have an old stove/oven I took out of a camper.......small, 3 burner, with an oven, runs on propane from a bbq bottle (with regulator).
set on a box, it works great, and, was free..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

CapSmashy
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Sun May 09, 2010 8:33 am

ygmir wrote:I have an old stove/oven I took out of a camper.......small, 3 burner, with an oven, runs on propane from a bbq bottle (with regulator).
Oh yeah?!? Well I have a box of shiny metal bits, a stick and an odd sense of lycanthropy.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun May 09, 2010 9:01 am

CapSmashy wrote:
ygmir wrote:I have an old stove/oven I took out of a camper.......small, 3 burner, with an oven, runs on propane from a bbq bottle (with regulator).
Oh yeah?!? Well I have a box of shiny metal bits, a stick and an odd sense of lycanthropy.
does that go with your box of stinky bits and a sense of necrophilia........

(how's that, CFM?)
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Badawg

Post by Badawg » Sun May 09, 2010 10:54 am

If you want small and light and money may an issue, buy a Trangia Stove.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trangia

They work great, burn alcohol, which is the cleanest fuel you can get, and are cheap. Note that you do not have to buy the whole stove kit, Amazon sells the burner separately.

Also check out surplus stores for "Swedishe Army Stove" for a used model in a kit with a pot for around 15 bucks.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Sun May 09, 2010 11:01 am

Just about any small stove will do the job, but whatever you get make sure you have a solid cooking surface, such as a folding table or the like.

Makes the job of meal prep so much easier when you can stand up and have room to work. Nothing worse than cooking directly on the playa surface.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Sun May 09, 2010 5:51 pm

For sure sandman, all good ideas above--we use a regular Coleman two-burner open-up ($20-25, any store USA). A bottle of prop. will last a day and a half with continuous use. We never use all the bottles we bring (overcalculate, but better to have & not need them) & even donate them to neighbors :)
☕ COFFEE CAMP :
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2020 // ...???... :.

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun May 09, 2010 8:30 pm

this is one of my little stoves, built in spark lighter. butane cannisters are readily available at sporting goods stores. Good for my coffee maker.

I also have one of these which I like because it is quiet, self contained, keeps cooked food clean and portable for a potluck. Not super fast, but not that slow either. Denatured alcohol is not super cheap, but don't buy it at a camp supplies store. get it in a paint supplies dept. much less expensive. do not use rubbing alcohol, very smokey stinky.
[youtube][/youtube]

ConnieH

Post by ConnieH » Mon May 10, 2010 9:45 am

My BF has a one burner butane stove like this:
butane stove

It's compact, boils water quickly and I don't think we changed the butane bottle all week (all we do is boil water for MREs and coffee). Pretty inexpensive. Only drawback was that the only place I could find the butane canisters around here was a restaurant supply store, but that wasn't such a problem, just wasted a bunch of time looking in other stores for naught. It did fine in the breeze, we didn't cook when it got really windy on Saturday, but I imagine it would work fine with a little windblock (but who wants to cook during a windstorm!? That's when the nuts and chips come out ;) ).

Jetboils are great, too, espcially for boiling water fast - but they are SPENDY...$100 or so. Although I like the refillable bottles, my MSR backpacking stove ($50) sucks in the wind and is a bit rickety with a full pot of water on it. I also have a Coleman-type two burner propane stove ($20?) that I really like for car camping, but we didn't need two burners and were short on space, so the butane stove was perfect.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Mon May 10, 2010 10:05 am

I used to have one of those butane stoves, you can find the butane at camping stores around me...but they work well for the first half of the butane can then they seem to take up to 15 minutes to boil water. I dont like them
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

thesandman

Post by thesandman » Mon May 10, 2010 10:33 pm

that Trangia looks hot , i may need to compare that to the Coleman propane i see too theirs lots of different version of the Trangia from new to old my homework thanks LOL

Badawg

Post by Badawg » Mon May 10, 2010 10:52 pm

[quote="thesandman"]that Trangia looks hot , i may need to compare that to the Coleman propane i see too theirs lots of different version of the Trangia from new to old my homework thanks LOL[/quote]

They really work well, nothing to break, and cheap as a church mouse. I have one that is 10= years old and was using in the park on sunday for hot tortillas for mothers day Carne asada. I don't use a trangia base, I modified a Fold flat sterno stove so I cn put cast iron on it. I have also cooked a giant pot of rice on it...

Just like this guy:
[url]

I have also built a smaller one out of 1/4" hardware cloth and use a windscreen for an MSR Whisperlite I never use any more.

teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Tue May 11, 2010 1:38 am

I have a non air conditioned old RV. I use for coffee and other water only meals a MSR Reactor stove. They boil water extremely fast, less than three minutes, using a radiant heat exchanger. These use small tanks of propane. I do this because it heats up the motorhome less. And uses very small quantities of fuel. It also is very wind resistant. A full tank and a spare are all you need. When the sun goes down I will use the kitchen in the RV, but during the morning and the day, it is the Reactor. For water boiling only, this is the best stove you can get, and works for my back packing needs the rest of the year.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

mudpuppy000
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:34 am

If weight is an issue (besides BM) then I think the butane canisters are a little lighter than propane.

teardropper
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Tue May 11, 2010 8:38 am

I guess technically those MSR tanks are a blend of isopropane and butane to make them burn well at altitude, also.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

scotto
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Stoves for the Playa

Post by scotto » Tue May 11, 2010 12:58 pm

We have ditched all of our Coleman stoves in favor of these Cast Iron ones.

http://www.agrisupply.com/burners-regul ... 01/c2c/sc/

We have several of the 3-burner ones - They work awesome

Note: Place a piece of wood or something under the stove or you will end out with a melted plastic table (Know this from experience)

Scotto
Burning Man is a Participatory Sport! Lead by Example!

thesandman

Post by thesandman » Tue May 11, 2010 10:13 pm

i am now starting to look online for trangia stove trying to pic one like do I to get a new set or get a Swedish Army unit and mod it, no shop in the phoenix has them looks like, i love the low tech operation no moving parts, got to thank this group for showing me something new too :)

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed May 12, 2010 8:58 am

I use some (roofing) valley flashing(alumin) for a wind sheild.. It keeps the heat in and going up around the pot.. For tranport the fuel canister with the stove mounted, fits inside the boiling pot and rolled up in the wind sheild.

For a extra I have a fold up climbers stove.. Easly fit in my cuped hands.. Stores in an envlope sack.. Also have a toaster that when folded it's the size of a slice of bread..

thesandman

Post by thesandman » Wed May 12, 2010 10:29 pm

looks like i am going to get a Trangia-27-3 me a bit lazy you see its got every thing i need in 1 kit, too bad i have to get it online, going to take a over night test trip in the desert mountains in 2 weeks to test out new REI tent and stove and boots see if everting holds up.

kevenjoo

Post by kevenjoo » Wed May 12, 2010 11:25 pm

If you're looking for stove maybe I would suggest to you the Snow Peak Ultralight Giga Stove it has 2.6 ounces, Mini Solo" 0.8 liter titanium pot is 6.4 ounces and this has a Stove pot, and small fuel canister are 12.9 ounces.

StevenGoodman

Post by StevenGoodman » Fri May 14, 2010 2:42 pm

I used to use one of these Coleman one burner stoves.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanC ... 2000004124

It worked great until it got left out all winter in a storage box full of water!

Now I have a unit similar to:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanC ... 2000004124

But the one I have isn't made by Coleman. But it works pretty good.

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Fri May 14, 2010 2:49 pm

I have one of these,

so I can use one of these,

don't forget to floss

Snow

Post by Snow » Fri May 14, 2010 2:52 pm

I love my coleman coffee maker!

thesandman

Post by thesandman » Sat May 15, 2010 1:18 am

i have ordered a Trangia 25-3 from campsavers lots of shop out of stock on Trangia stoves so had to get the larger one, going test it in the usery mountain park camp area just north of mesa arizona if it dose not work out i well try something else like a coleman perfectflow.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Mon May 17, 2010 4:07 pm

Snow wrote:I love my coleman coffee maker!
a camping necessity IMHO.

and JUST for my "late to rise" campmates..

don't forget to floss

Snow

Post by Snow » Mon May 17, 2010 4:56 pm

late to rise campmates miss out in my camp, it don't last long

thesandman

Post by thesandman » Wed May 19, 2010 10:38 pm

my Trangia 25-3 arrived today via ups looks like i get to test it out in about 9 or 10 days will report back to every one

Badawg

Post by Badawg » Thu May 20, 2010 3:18 pm

[quote="thesandman"]my Trangia 25-3 arrived today via ups looks like i get to test it out in about 9 or 10 days will report back to every one[/quote]

You mean you haven't cooked dinner on it already??? I used mine on Mothers day at the park to heat up Tortillas for the carne asada.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”