L.A. to B.M via SF

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
yvillevoye

L.A. to B.M via SF

Post by yvillevoye » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:43 pm

Dear friends,

This Dutchie doesn't know a thing about camping but knows for sure Burning Man is going to be BEYOND IMAGINATION! I am currently planning a trip *R.V* from LA via HW1, Big Sur, S.F., Reno --> destination --> Black Rock Desert.

Would anyone be so kind to advise me about:

- Various RV camping spots (nicest, cheapest, chilled atmosphere/people) along this route
- Hidden venues / must see -do's
- How does RV campings work?

As we say in Holland: I can't see the forrest through the trees anymore.. ;-)

Much appreciated and big X

Yasmine

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:19 pm

Big sur is definitely cool, the highway 1 is pretty winding but it's probably ok for a big RV. (never done it in a RV myself) Hearst Castle is supposed to be really nice too, although you need reservations in advance. There's also redwood forests near Santa Cruz. Monterey/Carmel are pretty too, hmmm, that's alot of stops. :)

Oh yeah, alot of the popular campsites (near the beach) in california fill up quickly, best to get reservations as soon as possible. You do have the advantage of being in a RV so you can camp anywhere you can park though. :)

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:50 pm

I feel the need to ask. You have already booked your rv rental, right?
We break to remind us how to mend.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Re: L.A. to B.M via SF

Post by dragonpilot » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:08 pm

yvillevoye wrote:- How does RV campings work?
Unlike RV camping most anywhere else, you are totally self-contained on the playa. There are neither holding tank nor power hookups. You must run your generator daily to recharge the RV house batteries, run the AC, and power appliances.

If you run your generator too much you might not have enough gas to get to the nearest gas station when it's time to leave...bring extra just in case you run low.

Do not use the toilet in the RV...you'll fill up the holding tank and risk toilet water (aka black water) backing up...ewwwww!

Limit showers to about 2 minutes per day per person...same thing, the grey water tank will fill up...or just do sponge baths with lots of baby wipes.

You can park the RV anywhere that is NOT occupied by a theme camp. As a courtesy to your neighbors, position the engine and generator exhaust pipes so they don't spew fumes into someone's campsite.

If the sun awning is set up, be sure to roll it up before you leave to go sightseeing. If a dust storms hits while you're away, only remnants of the awning and hardware will remain when you get back. Also be sure to close the windows when you leave...inches of dust will fill the interior if there's a big blow.

Oh, there is so much to learn....
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Post by bm_cricket » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:34 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:Big sur is definitely cool, the highway 1 is pretty winding but it's probably ok for a big RV.
I've never driven the 1 in an RV but I've driven it many times in small cars. Some of the worst accidents I've ever seen involved RVs hitting cyclists or motorcycles on the 1 because the driver simply couldn't control the RV or didn't understand it's size...

Veiligheid voor alles. Je moet altijd uitkijken voor fietsen.

Ik heb zelden een kans hebben om met idereen mijn Nederlandse praktijk. Ik hoop dat het niet al te slecht gowrden. Waar kom je vandaan precies?
It was better next year. -Burners

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:26 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

bluesbob
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Post by bluesbob » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:42 am

Montana De Oro is a very nice State Park south of Los Osos, Ca. on the coast. Because it is a dead end road going into the park, many people just drive right on by. Stop by and check it out...it's a very nice place.

Pinnacles Nat'l. Monument is east of Soledad, Ca. Dead end road going into the west side of the park, and it's a long lonely road to the east side of the park. Beautiful place, off the beaten track. Many people avoid it entirely. It will be hot in late August. And it tends to be very dry around that time too. Last time I was there we set out a bucket of water for the animals...far from camp. We were treated to the sight of bear, dear, bobcat, raccoon, ring-tailed cat...just about everything you can think of came down to drink. That was very cool.

Have a fun safe trip!

TobeWilde

Some things to see or do along the way :)

Post by TobeWilde » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:00 pm

As you travel north from LA, you'll hit the lovely town of Santa Barbara, very upscale, lovely shops and nice beach. If you trek off the main street road to your east, you can drive through Montecito - huge estates that rival Hollywood Estates and in fact Oprah Winfrey lives there (and Michael Jackson's Neverland Estate is there), so its kinda interesting to see and the streets are wide enough for easy maneuvering.

North of there you will come upon the beachy town of Pismo which is loads of fun. Theres a great RV park right on the beach in the small area of Pismo called Grover Beach. Its one of the few beaches in the US where they allow you to go 4-wheeling on the beach dunes. You can rent sport vehicles - dune buggies - Jeeps - there, if you don't have your own. Downtown Pismo is your typical touristy beach town with all the tacky little gift shops HOWEVER there is a local hole in the wall sidewalk cafe' where you really should go - The Splash Cafe. It's known in all the tourist books as the BEST place to get FRESH west coast clam chowder, made from clams harvested there. You can get it in a bowl or in a sourdough bread bowl. Sometimes the line is out the door and around the sidewalk, but its a great crowd to hang out with while you await your food! Across the street from that is one of MY favorite places to observe "culture" - Harrys (Biker) Bar. A big downtown bar with dance floor and usually live band, very colorful crowd and lots of bikers traveling through. If nothing else, go inside into the dark cool atmosphere and people watch while you have a cold beer. A nice initiation to Burning Man :) -- Harrys

Continuing north from there, there is a MUST see, if you're not native to Ca. As you go through San Luis Obispo, you will see signs for the Madonna Inn www.madonnainn.com . A huge white Victorian resort where each room inside is a "theme" room. The hotel has about 70 distinctly designed different theme room -- think of each room as a mini theme burner camp! Even if you only stop there to grab a meal in their over decorated, gawdy dining room, its really a weird and wacky piece of America I don't want you to miss!

If you have a couple of hours of time in your schedule at this point, you can cut off shortly after Madonna Inn to the east toward Paso Robles. WHY? Because at this point you will be at the "end" of one of the California wine valleys and stop at a few wineries for a tasting in their tasting room - I especially like Eos Winery (very nice whites - reislings, muscatos and full, fruity cabernets).

Of course, continuing along the highway headed north from this region, you should really make a stop in Monterey / Pacific Grove. The coast there is beautiful - huge rocks and boulders form the beach front - its very unlike what "most" Europeans think of when they envision California beaches - very wild and rugged and even in August, sometimes very foggy, cool and windy -- perhaps the last time you will be 'cool' for a week :)

There's lots to see in San Fran, too, even in an RV, but I'll leave that to the locals who will know that area much better than I.

Hope this gives you some fun ideas for some local color along your way!
Cheers,
Tobe
<b>October Wilde - <i>"Tobe"</i></b>
Birgin 2010
<b><i>"I will not adjust myself to the world. I am adjusted to myself." Anais Nin </b></i>

Return to “The Greeter's Station”