4th year Burner getting jaded...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
AngelDanger

4th year Burner getting jaded...

Post by AngelDanger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:05 am

Hello, this is my first post on eplaya, and I am making it because I would like to hear other people's opinions on some concerns that are starting to pop up for me with going to see the dear old Man. I do festivals year round as a living, and I have attended BM every other year since '04. The last year I went, '08, I had to combat my feelings of jadedness pretty strongly, mostly surrounding just the sheer size of the event. It felt more superficial, more MOOP, fewer art cars, etc. And when I think these things, of course I think "well, this is my dear old BurningMan, I shall sally fourth and do as much as I can for other people and make things better!" And so I am putting together the coolest resources to share that I can find this year, and I am super excited to see all your lovely faces, but is anyone else feeling some trepidation?

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:48 pm

Which art car did you bring in 08?
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:02 pm

I only feel trepidation re: the heat. :) otherwise I have had good burns and not as good ones. I hope for the best & try and be ok with the worst.
don't forget to floss

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:16 pm

The best cure for burnout, IMHO? Bring a newbie.

It's amazing how seeing the event through the eyes of someone who doesn't remember "how it used to be" opens your eyes to what it is.

And face facts, for all of it's changes it's still one of our favorite vacation places, or we wouldn't all be here, would we?
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

ZenoBoy

Post by ZenoBoy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:42 pm

I could not agree with Eric more. Last year was my 4th year. My 3rd year was one of those years that went wrong in so many ways it was enough for 3 people and I had thought of never coming back.

Last year I brought a great friend of mine to his first burn and it was great. One of my best years yet. It really does help reset the vision and lower expectations from previous years build up of emotional gunk and rosey glasses hindsight.

I've learned. It's what you make it. I read all the time, people offering noobs to leave all expectations behind and to just roll with it. I think we all tend to forget that as we knock out a few notches on our belts.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:17 pm

Hear Hear!!

I'm with Eric on this as well. Between the lot of us, our camp is bringing three First-timers this year and the energy level is noticeably increased. This will be my sixth Burn and it appears that I might be transcending the wall I sort of hit in '08. Missed last year and I think that's helped with the excitement level too.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

AngelDanger

yes yes yes

Post by AngelDanger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:18 pm

Thank you all, for the sundry replies that I was hoping for, I knew I could count on other burners to kick me in my butt a bit with good advice. It's just so hard to take it from yourself, you know?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:05 pm

After about 6 years I hit a wall as well and decided to change it up.

In 07 I did a big performance thingy with fire.
In 08 I did a three week major art build.
In 09 I busted ass on an art car.

This year I'm drinking beer and not doing squat.

Rinse and repeat.

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:15 pm

For years I have been seeing the same-ol same-ol, but it is new to them people doing it, and it seems like they are having fun.

I am a bit jaded, even with my own artcar, after having it for 9 years in a row now I really can't do much more to improve on it, but I will upgrade it next year to a bigger vehicle/with new stuff to do.

and that's the point.

Don't expect us to make the event different so that you can enjoy it once again, make it different YOURSELF so that people like yourself can enjoy it once again.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:16 pm

oh yeah... you can always just walk around all day with a pickle in your mouth, bet you haven't done that before.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:30 pm

For me the years that go by don't ever repeat (granted, same location & set-up scene),but seem to go d e e p e r...like advanced courses in "How To Be a Human 101" :) The 1st time opened up my artistic threshold, and the continued years shows me new/unlockable realms inside myself. As well, our camp progression (in retrospect) always has grown for embetterment: cleaner, more communication, planning & general being--this last year we really had the elements down pat. Can't wait to hit the dust this Summer to apply more of the same. Be simple. Keep a happy heart. Have no expections & the World will never paint the same day twice :wink: P.S.--this will by my 8th year out to the desert
☕ COFFEE CAMP X:
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2019 // 8 & B :.

BeachAmigo

good question

Post by BeachAmigo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:36 pm

I think the youtube.com link you included really answered your question. Thanks for sharing it, I have done the same. Enjoy the BURN!

AngelDanger

Quite right

Post by AngelDanger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Pickles it is!

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:36 pm

That's the attitude !

Be sure lots of pictures are taken.
I might need them for somthing that I am bouncing around in my head for next year.

AngelDanger

Post by AngelDanger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:22 pm

I will take pictures for you, Mr. OneEye.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:54 am

I think of the Burn (somewhat) as one thinks of a child. There's good things about every year. Every age. Does one wish one could go back and revisit certain ages? Sure, maybe. But you only have now. Beautiful things change and evolve, & that's part of what makes beauty poignant. It can make you treasure memories & photos all the more, and realize how very goddamned lucky you were to witness that rare amazing business, & be excited about the present, looking forward with hope and excitement, doing what you can to help its evolution. And being philosophical and patient about the imperfections. To not fear change so much that you can't enjoy yourself right now.

Something else I like to think about . . . is that any multi-year Burner can surely think back to their favorite, epic year--that year of the Burn that might make you 'chase the high' a little, despite yourself. Your very best year--was someone else's worst year. Someone no doubt looked at the very same year that changed your life, and said "This is bullshit. I'm never coming back." We're all experiencing the same city so differently.

Part of the excitement will be not-knowing. It's okay not to know how you're going to feel. This will not be on the test.

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:43 pm

Dig it Savannah :) ! I think of the feeling/vibration of energy & humanity I receive out there. It is like an unseen, etheral wave of connectivity that constantily washes the city. The event will reflect back as much as you put into it, and will amplify your personal strengths (I enjoy being caring & thoughtful, hence, I get really in tuned & receptive in the dust.) Every second of breathing & just being (even when chilling in the shade structure or, hell, even washing dishes :D) out there is more enjoyable than a minute in the mundane "9-5" grind life :wink: s o a k it in...
☕ COFFEE CAMP X:
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2019 // 8 & B :.

fabigothangel
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BRTA Playa Airport

Post by fabigothangel » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:51 am

Don't worry ! The burn is how you make it and it really help if you don't make it just for yourself but for other people. Last year i brought 4 virgins in my RV and it was the best year ever, just gathering to their needs keeping an eye on them and helping them relax, enjoy and explore.
This year is my 8th burn and I wil bring other virgins to go through the life changing experiens that BM brings :-)
live free and thrive

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:56 am

Eric wrote:The best cure for burnout, IMHO? Bring a newbie.

It's amazing how seeing the event through the eyes of someone who doesn't remember "how it used to be" opens your eyes to what it is.

And face facts, for all of it's changes it's still one of our favorite vacation places, or we wouldn't all be here, would we?

Eric, thanks for saying this. I have only been once, so...my opinion doesn't hold as much weight as someone with a quite a few burns under their belt. For as much as people grumble about how Bman is old news, over, too this or too that...they still come. Maybe it's evolved...what doesn't? And maybe for some, the newness has worn away. But it is still a life changing event, home, and a sanctuary once a year from the default world.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Post by bm_cricket » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:20 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:oh yeah... you can always just walk around all day with a pickle in your mouth, bet you haven't done that before.
That's what I was going to do! GOD DAMMIT!!
It was better next year. -Burners

Kitty Dingo

Post by Kitty Dingo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:01 am

The topic of burning out on Burning Man inspires me. I am going to do something that scares me a little, pushes my boundaries.

I bring my sister and we are like we were when we were kids (only more drinking.)

The more I interact with other people and the desert itself, the more immersed in BRC and the happier I feel. Volunteering helps too.

I really try not to have expectations.
I really try to open my heart as soon as I get there.
I really try to leave judgements behind.
I really try to not hate the naked kareoke going on at 3 am.

I am so looking forward to seeing all of you there!

alt12
Burning Since: 2004

Post by alt12 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:02 pm

Token wrote:After about 6 years I hit a wall as well and decided to change it up.

In 07 I did a big performance thingy with fire.
In 08 I did a three week major art build.
In 09 I busted ass on an art car.

This year I'm drinking beer and not doing squat.

Rinse and repeat.
likewise.... add to that list, change your camp location, change camps, bring virgins (as eric said), volunteer for a bmorg bureaucracy clustefuck organization.... basically try something new, change, change, change.... its the only cure!

AngelDanger

Holy Good Advice Batman!

Post by AngelDanger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:50 pm

You all make Burning Man what it is, and god damn I am excited once more!!! :D

golgotha-a-go-go

Jaded Burner

Post by golgotha-a-go-go » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:40 pm

Wow. This sure resonated with me. This is my 13th Burn and the last few were becoming a little predictable. Don't get me wrong, still the best experience on the planet for me, but, well, I was losing the sparkle. Because I love BM so much, I decided to volunteer for Feed The Artists and put my culinary passions to work feeding the great artists that arrive weeks early to create our beautiful sights and sounds. It has injected me with a newfound sense of excitement and newness for the event. It has been the most amazing 2 months of lead-up to BM. I'm again renewed, as I felt in 1997. My suggestion to jaded burners is to do what the others on this post have done and volunteer for something that drives your passion.
homo sum, nihil humani a me alienum est, puto...

VeganChoirGirl

Re: Jaded Burner

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:45 pm

golgotha-a-go-go wrote:It has been the most amazing 2 months of lead-up to BM. I'm again renewed, as I felt in 1997.
This is totally amazing. Thanks for sharing. I hope you have an AMAZING burn #14!!!!

bluesbob
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Post by bluesbob » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:53 pm

I belong to an organization that has lots of volunteer opportunities, and holds many events all year long. New people come in and continually volunteer for everything. They have fun for awhile, then suddenly find themselves burned out. I, and others, always tell them...volunteer for just a few things and do them well. Then when you feel like moving on volunteer for something else.

Seems like someone could have a lot of fun with BM. Ranger one year, DPW the next, a theme camp, another theme camp, Greeter the year after that, help build the Temple. So much to do. And with the way BM is run, you could even start your own. And none of these has to be just for a day, it can be a week long commitment.

I'm new here, hope you don't mind my input.

Bring lots of fucking glow sticks.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: 4th year Burner getting jaded...

Post by Elderberry » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:45 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

VeganChoirGirl

Re: Holy Good Advice Batman!

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:41 am

AngelDanger wrote:You all make Burning Man what it is, and god damn I am excited once more!!! :D
Hey AngelDanger...how did the burn go last year??? Did you concur your burnout?

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:12 am

oh wow VCG i didnt notice this was a year olde post, seems to me this year (again i've nothing to reference too) but a lot of the jaded vets seem super keen this year. I am so ver very excited im even thinking of doing a trial pack of my rucksack to see if how much space i have :)
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:30 am

graidawg wrote:oh wow VCG i didnt notice this was a year olde post, seems to me this year (again i've nothing to reference too) but a lot of the jaded vets seem super keen this year. I am so ver very excited im even thinking of doing a trial pack of my rucksack to see if how much space i have :)
That's a good idea. :)

Return to “The Greeter's Station”