Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:51 pm

Yes… I love the American west. I love the drive through it, I love stopping and walking around in it, the sunsets, the long range views, walking on the Salt Flats… the whole package. Its such an interesting change from humid central Kentucky. Not that I dislike Kentucky by any means, just nice to get out and see this big, beautiful country.

Bleedpickle,

I didn’t think your post was too self-centered. Burning Man can be an intense emotional environment, so if you’re sensitive, go into it knowing that. It’s nothing that can’t be handled, it’s just worth noting. Hope the hubby makes it with you, but my experience compels me to say he should only come if he wants to, not if he’s forcing himself to do it for other reasons.

And welcome to eplaya, PugRay.

And you too, googbox!
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Bleedingpickle

Post by Bleedingpickle » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:59 pm

I couldn't agree more Noir. Thank you. :-)
Be like water.

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:14 pm

Hey what's up everyone. I'm Atticus 27 years old from Boise, Idaho. I just moved here to Boise from Texas back in January and decided what the hell I'M GOING TO BURNING MAN THIS YEAR! I've done oh-so-much planning and believe I've got a pretty good gig going on but there's always room to improve. I'll be glad to call Black Rock City home and meet some incredibly down to earth people.

Viva la Burning Man

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Atticus, hello and welcome. love your name

PugRay

Post by PugRay » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:53 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:Yes… I love the American west

Bleedpickle,

And welcome to eplaya, PugRay.

And you too, googbox!
Many thanks and likewise Le Chat! :D
"The truth is incontrovertible.
Malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end, there it is."

~Winston Churchill~

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:14 am

lucky420 wrote:Atticus, hello and welcome. love your name
Hey that's my name, too!

When ever I go out---

Wait a minute...Something's not right...

I meant Spartacus.
I'll go hide now.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

MonoFeo

Post by MonoFeo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:19 am

Hello burners my name is Danny and 2010 is the year I make the pilgrimage to BRC. I feel like this trip has been over ten years in the making, finally sparked by a visit to LA Decom 2009. Upon arrival I was caught off guard by a humble greeter who welcomed me with a smile and a huge hug. I don't think this greeter will ever understand what that hug meant to me that day, but wherever she is I want to say thank you. A friend of mine passed away on this day, and the greeter's hug was the motivation I needed to help get through this day. I'm making this trip to pay tribute to a friend, and also fulfill a lifetime dream to experience this event.

The last couple of months have been spent reading endless tips on preparing (from canvas tents, swamp coolers, Dr. Bronner's soap, single ply camping TP, etc.). This forum has provided all the tools my wife (also a newbie) and I'll need for the 600 mile trip from LA to BRC in a few weeks. I'm thrilled and stoked to be able to make this event, and hope to meet many of you there. Thanks for reading...

-Danny

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:21 am

Hi Danny-MonoFeo,

Like the greeter that day, I suspect most of us go through life having no idea how the things we do impact those around us. I’m glad she was there just as you needed that interaction and I offer my condolences on the loss of your friend. The Temple is a good place to remember those who’ve gone on before us. I find it to be a very moving ad emotional place.

Welcome to eplaya and enjoy the planning of your first trip. I suspect you’ll not be disappointed.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:03 pm

Welcome Atticus & MonoFeo :D Get ready to feel like a human being, as well, the best playa advice I an give: wash your feet and wear dry socks & drink l o t s of water!! :wink:
☕ COFFEE CAMP X:
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2019 // 8 & B :.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:47 pm

CLARKcon wrote:wear dry socks & drink l o t s of water!![/i] :wink:
I'm working on a variant that involves wearing wet socks and not drinking anything.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

soul_rebel

Post by soul_rebel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:16 am

Hello to all! My name is Justin and this will be the first time I will make the journey to BRC. I have heard a lot about it since I was in my teens and I feel I'm ready to see what burning man is all about. I've got a quick question about keg travel. I think my best bet is to bring my bad ass ice chest and add ice to my cup after I pour my beer. I am open to suggestions if anyone has a better idea. If you find me I will be more than willing to share some mighty brew (if over the age of 21 of coarse). I will be dressed mostly in asia robe gear and probably a hula skirt and spandex sometimes. Please get back to me about the keg. Thank you and Much Love! 8)

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:09 am

Hey reb, welcome home.

I've debated the keg thing at BRC for a while now (we have a couple bars in our village; I have the dubious honor of running the smaller and less busy of the 2!) There are a couple problems with using one out there...

(1) Kegs have to be kept cool, otherwise your beer goes bad. Remember temps out there get hot fast - your keg will absorb the heat, and cook your beer.
(2) If you use a keg pump instead of CO2 or Nitro to charge your keg, you exasperate, um, excebriate, aw, frack it, make worse (sorry, wordsmith bent my tounge) the beer going bad. Heat + air = ick beer.
(3) Doing it the way you mentioned, you'd have to be OK with putting ice in the beer. Some people are OK with it (my folks did this), others (like me) don't like it.

The best solution I have found, IF you want to do a keg, is to get a kegerator and power source. Not everyone is willing to put up with the expense and hassle of all that, hell, I want to do that with my pub and yet I can't justify it - not yet.

The acceptable alternative - get the CO2 setup, bring an insulated keg "bucket" and keep it bathed in ice from Camp Arctica. Oh yeah, with anything like a cooler or keg bucket etc, you need to keep it off the playa (like on a couple 2x4's) otherwise the cold will get sucked into the playa, and in a shaded cool spot.

I know this is a long answer (sorry), but unless you HAVE to have it from a keg (say, you're a brewer, ya know) cans are a better and easier way to haul beer on and off playa. Plus they're easier to keep cold.

Oh yeah, this being your first time and all - don't forget basics like food, WATER, and shade - burners do not live by beer alone. (Unless they're DPW, but that's a different story!)

soul_rebel

Post by soul_rebel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:20 am

Thank so much BBS! I think you have convinced me to stick to beer cans and hard liq (Jameson mostly) where is your bar? I would love to make a donation. As for bringing more than just beer I got about 5 pages front and back of supplies and looking for more suggestion. Is this tent+rebar the best way to go?
Much Love

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:35 am

We are part of Terminal City at Apokiliptika, er, Athens at about 3:20. Our 2 bars are the Kantina (mine) in Apok, and the Booby Bar (you can't miss it!) across the street from us. We are truly 2 different beasts of the same cloth - the "other" bar (the Booby bar) is usually jumping (hell, they do themes every night, and most of our people end up there an awful lot) and is probably the best of the burner bars, bar none , the Kantina is more like an old Sovietski military officers club (cheap beer, all booze served straight (Drink it NEAT, or drink it NYET!) , esp. the frozen vodka, etc.), russki movies on the undersized TV, etc... which has been out there since 2005.

I did tent/rebar for years, finally got an ancient motorhome last winter... but shy of that, yeah. Or you can get a dome, but I recommend if you do you set it up and get the logistics and stuff figured out. Just make sure the tent is sturdy/flexible enough to handle the winds.

Between the Survival Guide and what you find on this board you can pretty much figure out everything you'll want to bring. Just remember the 2 cardinal rules...

(1) Don't plan on bringing or setting up TOO much crap - after the first 24 hours of setting up your mind will come to the conclusion of "frack this crap" and you end up with a half unpacked car or trailer,

and

(2) You moop what you make. (Kinda like You keep what you Kill) When I set up I try to put down canvas tarpage under whatever I set up, which keeps moop off the playa. Makes mooping a hell of a lot easier!!!

Anyway, PM me if you want to know more... happy to help out, all that stuff!
trails...

cahlm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Geodesia

Post by cahlm » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:33 am

What's up everyone? Elwood here. I've been attending BM every year since 2002. I'm 27 years old from Reno. Just posting to introduce myself and tell everone to have a great burn, virgins and veterans alike. See you all on the playa, and now on the boards.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:47 am

Welcome to eplaya

Just like reno without the heat and calm reserve

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:12 am

I do find that tag line to be rather misogynistic, fwiw.
The Lady with a Lamprey

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:19 am

that is a tough one........

but, then again, at times, have we not all been bitter and angry?
maybe coming "home" will help.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

cahlm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Geodesia

Post by cahlm » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:30 pm

[quote="theCryptofishist"]I do find that tag line to be rather misogynistic, fwiw.[/quote]

I take it you haven't seen Louis C.K.'s "Chewed Up." Sorry if it offends you, but it is a great stand up with many memorable quotes. It's not to be taken seriously.

griffen

Post by griffen » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:02 pm

don't want to cross post i'm here

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=35106
See ya on the playa,
War & Love
Griffen Agrippa

Ke'Chara

Post by Ke'Chara » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:15 pm

HA. Good one, Griffen.

I'm here too. :D

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=35107
"One does not grow old. When one stops growing, one becomes old." ~anonymous~

sportsmobile

Post by sportsmobile » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:15 pm

i'm going to be the 2nd to follow Griffen's lead

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=35025
I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. - Thomas Jefferson

dtomarchio12

Hello!

Post by dtomarchio12 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:35 pm

I'm 28 and will be driving with my sister all the way from VA!!! We are so excited! Both military and can't wait to let out our inner B-Man!!! Anxious to meet new people and be ourselves for a week!!!

Vittachitta

hi

Post by Vittachitta » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:02 am

hi rebbi,
i'm vittachitta and that's a made up name, so it must not be me. i can't find me anywhere!
looking for friends and experiences that inspire and teach

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Hello!

Post by AntiM » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:31 am

dtomarchio12 wrote:I'm 28 and will be driving with my sister all the way from VA!!! We are so excited! Both military and can't wait to let out our inner B-Man!!! Anxious to meet new people and be ourselves for a week!!!
Navy?

ryptide

Post by ryptide » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:14 pm

Hello All!

I'm Ernie. This will be my first trip out to the Playa. I've been aware of Burning Man and wanting to go since 1997. Some years I'd make an effort and it wouldn't happen. Other years I'd make no effort and think during the event, "Damn, I could have been there". Last year I actually had a ticket, and wound up selling it as a job-change meant I didn't have enough time off.

This won't be my first burn. I've been to Frostburn, near Pittsburgh once and to Playa del Fuego in Delaware a few times. I'm a member of the DC Burner Choir and we'll be performing our Best Show Ever at Center Camp this year on Friday night.

This is the year for me to get out to the desert and I don't think I could possibly be any more excited!

OatmealMama
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Envy

New and a little nervous.

Post by OatmealMama » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:38 am

I am a potential first-timer from Modesto, a strong-willed, sensitive and emotional, free-spirited 34 year old married mother of five. I've known about BM for 10+ years but circumstances and some situations have finally led me to believe that this may be *THE* year. I don't really feel like I have any friends that are liked-minded enough to invite to come with me. I just started digging into the real information (survival guide) and researching (travel arrangements and ticket purchase) and feel like I may be running a little late in the game. Also, I wouldn't be able to get there until late Friday or even mid-Saturday. So we will see, if it's meant to be, I will see you there! Can someone help me understand the rebar thing? I take it typical tent stakes are not appropriate?
Thanks so much!

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:47 am

There is a rebar fetish.

A good 9-18 inch metal stake is better, if it is a proper type.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:06 am

The tent stakes that come with your tent are completely inadiquate for playa conditions. Some people swear by rebar, other's us very long nails or heavy duty tent stakes. It's another of the controversies that dog this board.
The Lady with a Lamprey

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:56 pm

I'm Nellie, 24 year old artist from Minneapolis. Recent college grad with Not Much To Do, so I'm spending my unemployed days planning for Burning Man. Productive, right?

I've been wanting to participate for a few years now, but have been unable to due to college and financials. So, right now the fiance and I are planning on popping our Burning Man cherries in 2011, and justifying the cost by calling it an unofficial honeymoon. We'll be bringing some friends, and setting up our own little wacky camp. If you see blow up genitals and aliens swaying gently in the playa breeze, it means you've found us.

I'm wet-behind-the-ears and way too eager to make some (e?)playa friends, so don't hesitate to message me, even if it's to tell me I'm doin it wrong.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”