Disabled (partially) semi-fragile

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
moonrise

Disabled (partially) semi-fragile

Post by moonrise » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:00 pm

Hmmm...I am partially disabled...but this isn't transparent...looking at me you would not know...spinal injuries cannot be seen easily....I have spent 10 years recovering from a crippling botched back surgery that left my legs paralyzed for years.

I read a funny story, (sorta) that a mob tackled a bunny for being a bunny...the funny part is (sorta) the bunny was an undercover cop and his wires were revealed and then he scurried away...very unbunny like.

I will not RENT some dumb costume. I have a fabulous outfit some burners and I put together. BUT hmmm if I am tackled it could re-injure me seriously. I will go no matter what (been trying for over a DECADE to go to bamn but the injury was all I could handle) now I can finally GO!

Here's the thing, I can walk and ride a bike for short distances but I DO NOT look injured...I have a disabilty parking pass (not for bman) it's red and white...if a mob comes running at me and I hold up the red plastic disabled placard I doubt they'll realize I am REALLY at risk of breaking my back for a fourth time. I was wondering about this...hmmm...anyone got suggestions about avoiding a re-injury from something I cannot at least do my best to avoid by my own choice. (lousy grammar..arg)

Can a humanoid get a disabled sticker like the golf carts I hear about? (and no, I don't have one and yes I heard some people are abusing that priviledge)

I only need a little layer of personal safety, I can party and hang but getting knocked down extremely hard would probably be a severe problem for me.

I'm 6ft and over 200lbs and a guy but that's average and wouldn't stop mobs or bigger people.

I feel dumb posting this but most of the people I know, even burners, just do not understand what a bad back is all about (nor would I ever want anyone to go through the hell) just because they cannot see it and I am able to do some things, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Any suggestions would be helpful, posted or private what ever you wish.

Thank You!!!!!!!!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:07 pm

I have never heard of anyone getting tackled or attacked before. You could go with confidence that you won't be hurt. Just in case, try this for a costume......

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Would some sort of back brace make it less likely to get injured? I've seen lots of motorcycle outfits that have extra protection along the spine.

I've never seen anyone get tackled out there but who knows, lol.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:11 pm

Shambala wrote: You could go with confidence that you won't be hurt.
Just stay out of the thunderdome, lol. Or any giant astroturf slides... Hmm... Be cautious of just about everything out there. :)

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:12 pm

Im about your size and wieght. Ive got a herniaded disk that is a dull pain all the time,but realy hurts if I get jarred.

Maybe a large FRAGILE sign. Could even make up some whoppers about other reasons why your fragile.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

moonrise

gee thanks!

Post by moonrise » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:26 pm

Wow, what a bunch of kind answers! I'll not worry too much. I DO want to see the thunderdome though....arrrg....if only for a lil' while.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Disabled (partially) semi-fragile

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:31 pm

moonrise wrote: Can a humanoid get a disabled sticker like the golf carts I hear about? (and no, I don't have one and yes I heard some people are abusing that priviledge)
Yes, you can. You have to fill out the form (you need to sign up first; it's not the same sign up as the eplaya one, although I'm sure you can use the same email address.) Then wait for the reply. They were processing a lot of applications (mutant vehicles) when I signed up, so it took a couple of weeks, but that should be over, or very diminished so it may only take a few days. Print it out and take it with you to the playa and take it and the vehicle, golf cart, car, whatever to the Department of Mutant Vehicles in Center Camp soon after you arrive. They take the word of your doctor and your state, and give you privileges if they have rather than trying to assess your worth themselves.
For the most part, we don't have wild mobs chasing and injuring people. I've never heard of this happening and I don't think they could keep it secret for long. People are pretty much in a holiday mood and love everyone. Yeah, we get over-tired and weirdly obsessed with our ideas of playarific virtue, but a mob scene like you describe isn't worth worrying about.
And yes, having a hidden disability means always having to say you're sorry. Back in England in WWI (or The Great War, if you prefer) they finally had to design a uniform for soldiers who were "shell shocked" to wear so that people wouldn't come up to them, hand them white feathers, and otherwise berated and harass them for cowardice. Lovely creatures, humans.

Edited to Add: Don't delay on the permitting. Application process closes on the 31st.
Edited again for grammar.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:39 pm

I'm not "officially" disabled, but I have back and foot arthritis which prevent me from getting far on my own. We use a four wheeled bike which MyLarry pedals me around in.

Never been tackled.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:53 pm

cryptofishist, thanks big time...i was thinking about a person having a placard, a humanoid...i doubt that's a reality though. see below;

my disabled placard is out of date and the calif dmv CHARGES disabled people for the F***ing thing! I'll just keep it with me....even though it's stale dated.
i can walk with a cane and ride a bike here n there, this injury has cost me so much money i cannot afford much these days...like renewal of the disabled placard! because i am HURT...let alone a golf cart and i won't drive my truck around pissing everyone off....dust clouds...blagh. I can keep it (my excitement) under control and see enough, it'll be tough but once the pain kicks in i'll just find a place to sit it out....comes n goes...i know my limits and if i push it my legs give out and i fall over....sucks buuuuut....what's a semi cripple to do? one good thing, hot n dry weather makes it feel better....i'm from reno tahoe area....winters hurt more but heat does help...went out to the playa last week and it was 112 degrees, that is HOT but i'll manage....my
cane will be part of my outfit...a tux or a zoot suit...it'll work out i think.

gracias!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:56 pm

Damn, I am so fucking lucky to be working. Yeah, maybe getting handed a white feather now and then is better than being relegated to poverty...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

moonrise

heh heh

Post by moonrise » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:02 pm

I think I will take my ID, the stale dated placard AND doctor paperwork and hitch hike to the occaisional art car...I'm not expecting anything and not a young topless person (not bad looking i am told!) but ya never know, maybe i'll get a ride here n there...just need to get BACK too riiiight! hahaha....otherwise i'll be a walk/bike person and bring my cane AND the old walker...i hate the walker but why not just in case..it's great for stretching in the mronings!

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Post by bm_cricket » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:06 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Im about your size and wieght. Ive got a herniaded disk that is a dull pain all the time,but realy hurts if I get jarred.

Maybe a large FRAGILE sign. Could even make up some whoppers about other reasons why your fragile.
Ohhh, and if you wanted to continue the fragile thing then on the disabled golf cart being discussed (which can be taken care of with the Department of Mutant Vehicles but should be done soon.. Hopefully not past the deadline).. But the whole cart could be walled off with semi-transparent screen. Just wrap it with brown colored screen so you can see out from inside but from 50' away would look like a solid box. Write <i>Fragile!</I> on it and call it an art car.
It was better next year. -Burners

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:09 pm

I do work but had to change careers to about 1/3 regular pay. the rest goes to doctors and jumping through bizzare flaming hoops...like charging disabled people to park! i will accept every white feather on the planet earth if it would get rid of what the quack back surgeon did....it's ok though...i have seen much worse.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:28 am

Doctor's paperwork can be submitted to the dmv when you arrive, but much, much easier to renew your placard.
Try to get the placard and get a permit on playa.

I would urge you to get your truck permitted and when you need to, drive slowly to the area you need to get to, and then bike, walk or hobble from there.
It is almost impossible to get to all the stuff in deep playa without some sort of transport.
You can always leave the truck in camp.
Just be sure to camp where you can get out and in.

Smaller vehicles are easier, but take what you have.
Rule is 5 mph or less to keep dust down.
Helps to light up a vehicle on the sides too.

With a permit, you can run useful errands for other people sometimes too.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:06 am

I can try, he does it lickety split in wintertime....icy, achy season here. Summers, I have to bitch at him.

I can simply tell him, I'm not leaving your office until you issue the renewal...I AM sick n tired of them mis-judging my pain threshold.

He might offer stronger higher dosages of drugs, I'll tell him WHY? Let the vehicle die earlier! I am HUMAN....

I have been kindly warned it is WIDE spread...I do not expect to see it all...buuuut....

I can tell him I am going to a take a long trip, no lie! lmao....

I WISH it could transfer to another smaller vehicle out there, it should btw...that is how the placard works in default world...any vehicle i am in it can be used.

I drive a YUKON...arg....not exactly green....but I live in snow country so I need it...it TOWS well....

Plus I'd need to haul gas I think? It gets 15 to 19 miles to a gallon...

BTW, saw the kewl est 1970's vintage pair of harley davidson golf carts with a trailer on reno craigslist yesterday! a girly one and boy ish one....sweeet looking like no others i ve ever seen totally mod looking!

ad said they go for 3k on ebay! and they want $1400 obo...means they'll take less i guess

also saw gas one for $1200

elec ones for $6/800

so hm for furutre years, maybe i should ask eplyay people what the skinny is on these....i could get info NOW and buy over this winter for future years!

get the RIGHT type and pay the RIGHT price!

I thought these cost 4k or more...hmmm...interesting...i could paint it and do some cool art on it too...

I may new post this question...it'll help me a lot!

Thanks for the advice...I'll let ya know what happens....

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:29 am

You don't just go to the cali dmv to renew?

You can get the permit for what you want when you get there.

Not official word, but the permit is for the individual, not the vehicle, though a tag will be for a specific vehicle.
The person licensed is still the person that must be driving.
And if you have more than one vehicle, you usually have to put the sticker on one and explain the situation if you are asked.
There is no equivalent to the movable placard, but your rights are the same.
Move yur placard with you if you change vehicles.

Driving in the city itself is the most difficult anywhere.
Think Delhi with suicidal, unlit pedestrians.
And you never have the right of way.

And you can't drink, if driving.

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Re: Disabled (partially) semi-fragile

Post by TomServo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:51 am

moonrise wrote:Hmmm...I am partially disabled...but this isn't transparent...looking at me you would not know...spinal injuries cannot be seen easily....I have spent 10 years recovering from a crippling botched back surgery that left my legs paralyzed for years.

I read a funny story, (sorta) that a mob tackled a bunny for being a bunny...the funny part is (sorta) the bunny was an undercover cop and his wires were revealed and then he scurried away...very unbunny like.

I will not RENT some dumb costume. I have a fabulous outfit some burners and I put together. BUT hmmm if I am tackled it could re-injure me seriously. I will go no matter what (been trying for over a DECADE to go to bamn but the injury was all I could handle) now I can finally GO!

Here's the thing, I can walk and ride a bike for short distances but I DO NOT look injured...I have a disabilty parking pass (not for bman) it's red and white...if a mob comes running at me and I hold up the red plastic disabled placard I doubt they'll realize I am REALLY at risk of breaking my back for a fourth time. I was wondering about this...hmmm...anyone got suggestions about avoiding a re-injury from something I cannot at least do my best to avoid by my own choice. (lousy grammar..arg)

Can a humanoid get a disabled sticker like the golf carts I hear about? (and no, I don't have one and yes I heard some people are abusing that priviledge)

I only need a little layer of personal safety, I can party and hang but getting knocked down extremely hard would probably be a severe problem for me.

I'm 6ft and over 200lbs and a guy but that's average and wouldn't stop mobs or bigger people.

I feel dumb posting this but most of the people I know, even burners, just do not understand what a bad back is all about (nor would I ever want anyone to go through the hell) just because they cannot see it and I am able to do some things, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Any suggestions would be helpful, posted or private what ever you wish.

Thank You!!!!!!!!
If you have a disabled placard, the DMV should issue you a sticker. Been a while, but I think that's the rule.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:00 am

calif doc gives me a 6 month placard mirror hanger type in winters....i have to throw a fit and i will and i have been hinting to him about it to get a summer season one.

I'd rather kill a hunk of machinery than my happy beautiful self...true that!

he sometimes offers MORE drugs...sheesh...let's not go there ok? i have plenty, it's calif its the usa we make em blablabla i know brc is federal blm bla bla and nevada etc arg i own a duplex in each state i am a border person it s a bitch buuut...wtach ya gonna do?

so the placard i get in winters (so i dont slip fall etc and re-injure in winter and i also ache more in winter) is a mirror hanger type, trasferable to any vehicle any...i also have to carry zee papers (where are your papers!..as if hurt people don t have enough crap to deal with)

so, i have been asking him for a summer 6 month placard freshy, permenant ones are HARD to get, why? idk,,,yet!? anyway, NOW HE WILL DO IT or i'll throw a sane fit....sometimes when i see a dcotor from this group, i wait for him to enter the exam room and BLOCK THE DOOR WITH MY BODY! and don t let him out until he explains crap...like side effects etc..it is hilarious and i tell him i am doing this...i have also been required to read a list of q n a like a machine gun sometimes...omg...anyway...they are a decent med group...just swamped!
this doc got a father out of iraq by lying for the family, and i helped keep the kids and mom from losing it while the daddy was on a 3rd!!!! tour!!!!...this doc said "she was mentally going whatever" so as NOT to damage the dads career blabla...so we alllll know this doc...and he is cool...but a bit slammed and so he doesn t always "feel my pain" i see him every 90 days for years! agh!

So, he's been stubourn about the 6 summer monther placard....btw, i rarely drink, rarely....but yes that could suck at bman....hmmmm....get an AA er or total non drinker to drive? sweeet match up i say!

i am just going to explain, i am wearing out, i am having difficulty going on vacations and it is TRUE...i pay a sh*t load of taxes mr doc sir....give me the card every 6 months! he'll do it, i just do not enjoy the game, the stress, and PAYING to park...what kinna "community" is the default world anyway? the thing should be free and mailed to me! (here's a stamp and $2 bux) dmv here is a loooong awful wait....ugh.....and like a $69 charge every 6 months! for the red mirror thingy...hahaha...and ZEE PAPERS!

i KNOW Arnie...i ve been his waiter/bartender for YEARS but i dont DARE tell him this.....the body guards would get me CANNED...it is sooo tempting to tell him the truth when he asks "how you doing? "shitty, governator, how bout you?" sheesh....his scared, tembling wife Pam MUST WEAR ZEE DRESS IN PUBLIC!...i could ask her but my god, she is so nice....and SHE IS NOT ALLOWED TO WEAR PANTS IN PUBLIC! lmfao....it's too too bizzare...

it's ok, go see my sweet post in "resources" for golf cart advice...it is truthful and funny!

i may be committed to a bar camp, not sure yet and if they are deep or too deep in the city...can i get in n out??

also i should contact brc dmv and ask,,,, "does it matter if it's ANY vehicle? I cannot drive two at the same time...yet....sorta like when as a kid you could ride two bikes at once...hehehe.....anyway, we'll see how it all pans out

Oh, and btw running in n out of big box stores KILLS me...and eh hem...being a semi last minute partially disabled tax payin person....trying to SHOP i should get zee placard!...and eventually should get a year round one...in winters i also told doc "i cannot deal with wally mart etc and the elec chairs don t work bla bla bla..." i'll just drone on and on....he'll cave....the game can suck but i DO need it. i wanna go to glass beach on the coast! i wanna go to a LOT of places! i Wanna go to burningman! (btw, my hernia doc is a MAJOR BURNER!...lives a wooden castle!!!! and likes harleys? (from tahoe)...he is awesome and fixed my hernia perfectly...even gave me a corrected, downardly pointing bellybutton...lmao...so it will drain correctly...he said..this was yeeeeeeeers ago but he is going...so i have heard! yeah!)

thanks for the encouragement.....i'll get ZEE DAMNED PAPERS!

it would be awesome if brc dmv allows it to transfer to any car...avoid the yukon and use a mini whatever kinna car.....i will look see and try to find n ask brc dmv the magic question! gracias!

anyway, i am committed to a small ish bar camp i think...

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:11 am

As to why you can't just have the placard work the way it does in default, it's driving privileges, not parking, that you're getting at BRC. So there's a sticker for your bumper, not a placard hanging. You can't leave your placard hanging n a golf cart and expect it to be there when you get back.
And as I mentioned up thread, the date to have your paperwork in at the DMV is the 31st. I am pessimistic about his being able to get the placard in that time frame.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:35 am

re: getting tackled or jarred... I think the "ask before touching" rule is pretty well adhered to. "May I whip your ass with this riding crop?" "uh, o.k., thanks."

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:59 pm

You can submit the application now and bring the placard to the playa.
If you have the option of getting a permanent placard in nevada, etc, it may be the better option.
That does sound really expensive.
Unless they plan a cure for you, you should have a permanent placard anyway.

The rules are that some vehicles are considered too large or possibly unsafe as transport for the disabled.
The intent is safety though.
Anything you can prove competence with, should not be an issue.
It is hard for people to grasp the range of possible disabilities and that most disabilities are invisible.

You can pick anything you want to put your permit on.
You can still use something else when needed, but as I said, you may have to talk to rangers about it.
They are quite efficient at checking for permits in the city itself.

Many people are quite eager to loan a vehicle for use until they find out they can't drive using your permit.
Anyone can drive, as long as you are in the vehicle though.

Anywhere in the city can work, but you must have access in and out when parked.
The closer to center camp would be nightmarish for getting out, and the plazas are busy.
The farther from the esplanade you are, the less traffic there usually is.
It is often worth detouring to less trafficked streets or onto the playa, for long trips to other parts of the city.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Re: heh heh

Post by unjonharley » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:22 pm

moonrise wrote:I think I will take my ID, the stale dated placard AND doctor paperwork and hitch hike to the occaisional art car...I'm not expecting anything and not a young topless person (not bad looking i am told!) but ya never know, maybe i'll get a ride here n there...just need to get BACK too riiiight! hahaha....otherwise i'll be a walk/bike person and bring my cane AND the old walker...i hate the walker but why not just in case..it's great for stretching in the mronings!
A walker is my friend.. It's going to BM with me.. I don't look alterabled but I fall down for no reason.. Burning Man is one place alterabled people are welcome..

unjonharley

Re: heh heh

Post by unjonharley » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:22 pm

moonrise wrote:I think I will take my ID, the stale dated placard AND doctor paperwork and hitch hike to the occaisional art car...I'm not expecting anything and not a young topless person (not bad looking i am told!) but ya never know, maybe i'll get a ride here n there...just need to get BACK too riiiight! hahaha....otherwise i'll be a walk/bike person and bring my cane AND the old walker...i hate the walker but why not just in case..it's great for stretching in the mronings!
A walker is my friend.. It's going to BM with me.. I don't look alterabled but I fall down for no reason.. Burning Man is one place alterabled people are welcome..

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:52 pm

Don't know what alterabled means???? if totally wasted, i don t do that.

I have burner friends who said i should go, they know my limits and said just be really careful, it'll be ok....you won't/can't see it all.

I fall down, if i push it too hard, my right leg goes numb and i might, so to speak, fall down....i didn t mean drunk. but yeah, i have tripped but usually only in winter when stiffness from snow life kicks in.

i would sit down, if i felt the need, on the ground if i need to.

please try not to worry, i'm in my 40's and not a drinker, bonked out partier.

the walker will be painted nicely...lol..., i am going, it's taken too too long to get this far.

just wanna come see the art and join in.

my cane usually does the trick and i'll jus take it slow, i'm used to not seeing 80% of everything.

gracias! i'll be ok!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

yup, crytofishit...it's is just too late to get that done. i recalled after looking at deadlines.

7/31 no way i can do.

i'll work it out next time around, and i'll get the skinny about transfering a sticker to one or another vehicle at brc clarified when i have time...like if it's a sticker how could it be moved and yeah, it could go missing, and well maybe get a smaller car or a better bike.

people have been helpful in resources about suggesting cool bikes for me.
and about a gas golf cart, maybe, someday.

gracias!

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Be careful thumbing rides on MV's. Most are off to the next shiney thing and then the next..

Alterabled.. I have to alter my ability to get around..

First year BM I could only see about ten feet. (Eyes have been repaired) We camp on an outer ring road.. My camp mate rolled up a sheet of paper for me to look through.. Narrowed the focas and I could see farther.. I rode a bike tethered to my friend.. Had a hell of a good time.. Oh, I'm 73 this year..

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:09 pm

i see,,,thanks.

i eamiled the brcmobility peeps

i will get to doctors and get renewed, won t make deadline

i regret reading mis info..i think... (in my virgin mind) on eplaya a while back, about supposed abuse of disability status....because peeps now say get it done...too late. my fault.
i can deal

yea, read that even for healthy people about taking an art car ride and ending up a mile(s) away, roasting to death! i have an umbrella buuut...would like to LIVE!

i am local and it is hot n dusty out there, went back 2 weeks ago..first time since BEFORE bman that i had been there! and back in 1980 it was winter when i went!

gracias!

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:50 pm

As long as you have the permit when you arrive, you'll breeze through.

Go ahead and apply now.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”