One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:20 pm

Found my damn goggles !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:09 pm

jella wrote:Found my damn goggles !
Hell yeah! IMO thats one of the best treasures a person can find!

Tonight, gonna work on getting the fins of the roof AC units straightened. Gonna wait for the sun to set a bit so its not so hot sitting on top of the RV.
Then tomorrow, pick up the last few buy-ables (besides perishable foods) and tie up a few random loose ends.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:29 pm

BIG weekend folks.. BIG BIG weekend. Time to organize the stacks of burning chaos in my house and garage. AND one last trip to HomoDepot & Evil Wal mart for non-perishable supplies. Also, cooking some meals for the freezer. BIG weekend. Might dye my hair if time allows. workie workie workie..
don't forget to floss

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:37 pm

Pink and purple horn for the bike, ground tarp for one of the tents and two small rolls of single ply TP. That accounts for everything on my list except for food and booze. That will be next Saturday. I'm ready!
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:10 pm

I did lot of work on my 'away list' for the guys covering me at work.
Then it hit me that we're down to a week to go, and that means I can't order any more blinky ebay crap, and the stickers I was going to have made locally more then likely will not happen.
Tomorrow the Costco/Winco/Walmart/dollar store shopping will be done.
Sunday will be tune up and prep the van day.
Sorry CfM you're going to have to settle for the back of a mini van...not a pick up bed. You'll be so drunk you won't be able to tell the difference anyway ;)
I did have a wacky idea for another way to put some lights on my bike so I might try doing that tonight, but it would mean that the blinky eggs that go on the spokes would be over my head...
What other people think about you is none of your business.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:18 pm

We bought two 12V batteries for the bikes today, and glwosticks at the dollar store. Don't yell, the glowsticks are going into the dip cans for the conclave. Makes sense to use disposable ones.

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:24 pm

got a couple more cans of chicken noodle soup on sale at grocery store. Think I've got enough, hard to tell. I love it so.

Bounce530

Post by Bounce530 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:26 pm

That reminds me..I made a 'dead glow stick' container that I'll have out front of my camp or nailed to the street post closest to me.

MissCaRoL

Post by MissCaRoL » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Bounce530

What a good idea! I will be looking for it - any idea where you will be?

Bounce530

Post by Bounce530 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:39 pm

somewhere around 4:30 and H..hopefully right on the corner.

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:13 pm

Solar lights have been disassembled and packed for the Playa.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Bounce530

Post by Bounce530 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:21 pm

hehe, a couple weeks ago I replaced all the button batteries in the egg blinkys that are light and motion sensitive I was talking about earlier in this topic, later in the evening the room that they were in looked like a disco cause they were all blinking. So I had to take them all apart again and put some cardboard blockers in the batteries.

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:53 am

Packed my backpack last night including my ticket and early access pass!

About 90% Packed now. Odds and ends at this point. Gonna get that stuff together and start loading today. Gonna start working on a checklist to put in the Burning Van that I go over before I leave.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:51 pm

got the amp done. have switches for interior ( ammo can boombox) or exterior satellite speakers... some drive in speakers I think, for my camp.
crossover, and now......
need to put the speakers in the can. bigger portion of the project, since it requires drilling and cutting and etc. with accuracy? off to the garage for phase two!

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:48 pm

Yes, busy busy busy! First, no root canal needed. They can't quite figure out what the problem is but my teeth are fine. It's either gums or nerves. Whatever it is will have to wait until I return!

Today's items:

* Finished patching the mister's holy jeans.

* Reconfigured the studio to put all staged stuff together (except clothes, they're in another place) and piled it up near the garage door.

* Went through all the food I've bought in the past couple of months and remove extra packaging. I also found some dupes (oops) and cut back on a lot of stuff.

* Mister made pallets for the ice chests to sit on.

* Took another bike ride (it's easier each time).

* Tried to start my LEAST favorite (but important) task of replacing the bungees that lift and lower our popup trailer. The fucking screws won't undo. They require a goddamn four-sided allan wrench WTF? I have a drawer of 30 different sized allan wrenches and they're all 5 sized!!! Sigh.

Will get back to it tomorrow.

Now time for dinner, and the Four Musketeers.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:22 pm

Today I picked up supplies to do a harry potter family party for a friends son. I have licorice wands, ice cream and cupcake flavored topping shells and a magical experience for his mom - a tasty gluten free pie!

I also got the innertube for the bike, dropped off more things to go to the playa, got led blinkies that attatch to my bikes tires (its like bike poi!) and got the tent ready to pack up to take to the playa.
We break to remind us how to mend.

kman

Post by kman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:57 pm

Sorted all the rechargeable batteries. Charged everything.

Bought some more costume-y stuff for on-playa wear.

Painted the bike. Furry covers will have to wait until the paint dries, tomorrow, hopefully before my buddy shows to up to haul it to the playa!

Tested the 12v UV cold cathodes. Should be fun to play with!

Packed most of the electronic stuff.

Bought reflectix to line the car windows with, to keep down on-playa wear and tear from heat/sun.

Got through the father in-law's birthday party, so now I can focus on serious packing!

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:01 am

FaeTora wrote:Today I picked up supplies to do a harry potter family party for a friends son. I have licorice wands, ice cream and cupcake flavored topping shells and a magical experience for his mom - a tasty gluten free pie!

I also got the innertube for the bike, dropped off more things to go to the playa, got led blinkies that attatch to my bikes tires (its like bike poi!) and got the tent ready to pack up to take to the playa.
Ooo, don't forget these:

I think they even have vomit flavor!?!?! BLEAH!

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:29 am

The Good - Got my van packed. See!

http://twitpic.com.2h84li

The Bad - I don't remember packing the solar shower. I can't find it anyplace else, so it must be there, but I'm just not sure.

The Ugly -I think I'm gonna have to unpack to be sure it's there. Ugh! Or buy another just in case. It's only $12, right? [/img]
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Today I clean clean clean. Tear down and put away sewing table and mounds of tempting projects. Concentrate on finishing packing and coming home to a clean house :roll:
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

cahlm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Geodesia

Post by cahlm » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:06 pm

jella wrote:... coming home to a clean house :roll:
This is a must. Coming home to a dirty house after BM is the worst feeling ever. Seriously.

Bling

Post by Bling » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:39 pm

OH, gosh. What a weekend! We've made at least 6 "last-minute" runs for the VERY last thing(s) we need. :roll: We taped furnace filters into the windows of our wagon to hopefully keep the dust to a dull roar, pulled out all of our period correct reenacting gear, and loaded in costumes, chairs, food, propane, etc. Even loaded some stuff into the car. Somehow that doesn't sound like that much on paper, but we've been at it since 10am and haven't even stopped to eat yet! So far, everything fits & seems to have a place, which is nice...

Next step--clean the house! Totally agree that coming back to a dirty house is bad. Plus, my friend is coming to feed our cats, and I'd be embarrassed if she saw what slobs we can be. (Not that she's neat herself, fortunately.) :wink:

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:18 pm

this weekend:

-picked up new bike light, rack, rack bags, etc.
-went to "bye bye burner" party and practiced partying. fire hooping, drinking and other fun were all included. (other fun? i mean costumes!)
-sold a bunch of my clothing line stock to help my cigarettes and booze fund, which was, well, empty. hooray!
-gifted lots of other mildly used stuff including goggles and a pocket belt to one of the other girls on our set-up crew *warm fuzzies*
-organized the last few "sell/giveaway" things into a bag to giveaway at the burn. This is the stuff that is too cool to give to goodwill, and yet too old to bother ebay-ing... mostly still in very good shape :D I'm excited to dresss some people..
- made a new list for this week. I think there will be a couple all-nighters. I'm slightly terrified. Agggh! why do I do this to myself! yet I'm optimistic at the same time.

*edited for dyslexia*

Bounce530

Post by Bounce530 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:15 am

This past weekend didn't quite work out as planned, I did get the walmart and costco shopping done, but then ended up 2.5 hours away in Reno on Saturday night for a Rocky Horror show....didn't get back into town till late sunday afternoon.
I think other then hitting the grocery store and packing the cooler I'm about as ready as I'm gonna get.
I guess you could call my spontanious trip to Reno, research, since I stayed at the Circus Circus (they were the only joint that had a room at 11pm on a Saturday night) I'm not sure which 'tower' I stayed in, but the room wasn't bad at all,it was clean, towels and sheets were clean and soft, room didn't smell like any thing bad. It wasn't cheap though.

shroom

Post by shroom » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:21 am

Got new tires this morning.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:05 am

Thought I was done but I see from my list I forgot a couple of water containers to replenish the shower. Also need to fabricate something on the bike rack to keep it from scratching the spare wheel on the Jeep and still need to add ribbon to my gifting item so they will hang around neck (see avatar).

Orchid

Post by Orchid » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:05 am

Dumped some more money into our unfriendly local big box store this weekend. The only things left on the "to buy" list are AAA batteries, a sheet of plywood, and some random refrigerated items that I'll buy in Reno.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 am

Bounce530 wrote:This past weekend didn't quite work out as planned, I did get the walmart and costco shopping done, but then ended up 2.5 hours away in Reno on Saturday night for a Rocky Horror show....didn't get back into town till late sunday afternoon.

ROLFMAO!

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:25 am

Come on you guys, Stop that shopping and lets get this show on the road!!

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:27 am

Looked at my box of L'Oreal Warm Auburn for my icky grey roots. Instead, I cleared the rugs, wrapped the shower curtain in the liner, slathered my ears, neck and face with vaseline, and rummaged in the medicine cabinet. I had half a jar of Manic Panic Ultraviolet, an unopened full one, and a half bottle of Color Fiend Blood Red which was beginning to dry out (cracked top). Now I'm sitting here nekkid with all that in my hair, purple on the roots, red on the long tresses, head wrapped in foil and a plastic bag. How long will I leave it on? Until I get bored. I may even heat it.

I think I need vinegar to help set it in better.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”