Camping alone?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
User avatar
RyliFynn
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: MPLS, Minnesota

Camping alone?

Postby RyliFynn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:22 am

I want to have the wildest experience possible at BM and I was wondering if its funner to join a group or camp solo. Are there certain groups that are more on the wild side than others?

User avatar
velocirafter
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:16 am
Burning Since: 2007
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

Postby velocirafter » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:15 am

hahaha, i love your enthusiasm!!!

I would say camp with a group, you'll instantly meet people and then you can try and figure out who are the wildest.

If you camp alone people might think you are an undercover....thats not the case is it?!?!?! :roll:
Catch the beats, embrace them and let them go!! )*(

User avatar
Fire_Moose
Posts: 2488
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:40 am
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:06 am

More fun**
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: Camping alone?

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:15 am

RyliFynn wrote:I want to have the wildest experience possible at BM and I was wondering if its funner to join a group or camp solo. Are there certain groups that are more on the wild side than others?

There are variations of wild you've never heard of.
It's a huge range of choice.
Having the choice is the fun part.

Solo or not doesn't make that much difference.

User avatar
xhoosier
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 8:43 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Location: Idaho

if you are really trying to find a camp

Postby xhoosier » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:00 pm

Go around to the camps and check them out and then if one feels cool then ask if you can camp with them. Our camp is around 7:30 and Cairo.

have a good BM

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 13898
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: if you are really trying to find a camp

Postby Elderberry » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:29 pm

xhoosier wrote:Go around to the camps and check them out and then if one feels cool then ask if you can camp with them. Our camp is around 7:30 and Cairo.

have a good BM


Hmmm....not so sure about that one. At least not for me and I'm pretty sure we wouldn't invite a stranger to camp with us on the playa. They haven't paid dues, haven't contributed to the preparation, haven't joined any teams for volunteering at the cafe... But maybe there are camps that will...at BM it's hard telling what can happen, if you ask.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

User avatar
Magpie
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:46 am

Postby Magpie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:42 pm

It's leaving it a bit late to try to find a camp now. I doubt you'll get anyone to recommend "wild camps" to you either. Your best bet at this point is to try to camp near people you think you'll like, then scout things out for next year. If you want to have a wild time, you will. You can take my word on this!

User avatar
Magpie
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:46 am

Postby Magpie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:45 pm

Magpie wrote:It's leaving it a bit late to try to find a camp now. I doubt you'll get anyone to recommend "wild camps" to you either. Your best bet at this point is to try to camp near people you think you'll like, then scout things out for next year. If you want to have a wild time, you will. You can take my word on this!


Also check the what, where, when to find camps hosting events and activities that might meet your "wild" expectations! ;-)

* a word about the word "wild". What is wild for one person is a yawner for the next. My cousin is considered the wild one in our family. I don't speak of my exploits to my family, lest their ears melt and their eyes explode.

DrPeffer
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:37 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby DrPeffer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:26 pm

There's no such thing as "alone" at The Burn.

I mean...Maybe by the trash fence or something....

User avatar
geekster
Posts: 4870
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:53 pm
Location: Hospice For The Terminally Breathing
Contact:

Postby geekster » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:28 pm

Unless your name is Dickie or something.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby gyre » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:31 pm

Magpie wrote:
Magpie wrote:It's leaving it a bit late to try to find a camp now. I doubt you'll get anyone to recommend "wild camps" to you either. Your best bet at this point is to try to camp near people you think you'll like, then scout things out for next year. If you want to have a wild time, you will. You can take my word on this!


Also check the what, where, when to find camps hosting events and activities that might meet your "wild" expectations! ;-)

* a word about the word "wild". What is wild for one person is a yawner for the next. My cousin is considered the wild one in our family. I don't speak of my exploits to my family, lest their ears melt and their eyes explode
Magpie, you're quoting yourself.
Can you do that?

I want my ears to melt.

User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
Posts: 18729
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:23 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Location: Wild, Wild West

Re: Camping alone?

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:05 am

RyliFynn wrote:I want to have the wildest experience possible at BM and I was wondering if its funner to join a group or camp solo. Are there certain groups that are more on the wild side than others?


Some of the wilder camps with bars won't want you until you are 21.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Yo, fuckos, do not make me drop a piano on your heads.

epic
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:14 am
Location: earth
Contact:

I've done both

Postby epic » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:28 pm

I've done both and neither is funner. If you're alone you'll meet more people wandering around. If you're with a fun group you'll have a great time. If you're with a lame group that hangs out at camp all day, or has a power tripping leader or drama you'll have a lame time or ditch them and still be alone.
If the camp is structured and expects a time and money commitment you'll have less freedom then camping alone.
I've heard some camp fees are $400 which is what I'm going to pay total for ticket and gas getting there. My food and beverages are $8/day.
If they do group meals and you arent on time you'll have to cook for yourself.
I go to BM to get away from work, not to be assigned duties.
I wouldn't camp with a group unless I had met most of them first. What did you decide?

User avatar
Ugly Dougly
Posts: 16605
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Burning Since: 1996
Location: San Jose, CA
Contact:

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:33 pm

Decide on what "wild" means to you.


Return to “Building Camps & Villages”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest