Public food service at a theme camp?

FireShaman
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Pillow Punch

Public food service at a theme camp?

Post by FireShaman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:23 pm

I know there are forms and fees to pay out to the NV government, but I was wondering if anyone has ever done this? Did you have lots of issues with the health inspectors? Some of the requirements (specifically the requirement that ALL food prepared off site be prepared in a licensed food prep facility) seem a bit.... over the top.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:39 pm

We've gotten a food service permit for the last two years, but we only serve root beer floats. They came to inspect and were very nice--gave us some pointers and checked the temperature of our freezer.

JK

FireShaman

ha

Post by FireShaman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:57 pm

I kept trying to come get a root beer float this year and never did make it over. I was thinking along the lines of fried carnival food, so I suspect they would check out my setup quite a bit more carefully.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:05 pm

Oh yeah, a lot of camps do this (I almost did it for my bar on the offchance we did bar canapes, etc.) and IMO I like the Health Department there - really cool, keep burners safe, and will show you what you need to get into compliance or better. Wish the HD in my old county of residence were that awesome. They WILL shut you down, but they will also open you right back up if you can get into compliance PDQ!

There are 2 things that are really important if you do food - one is a proper wash station (Wash/Dry/Sanitize) for all your gear, the other is a 40/140 thermometer, that has the "calibration" lines at 32 and 212. That way you can see if your temps are OK. Spend a little more, get one that goes to -5, and you can check your freezer as well! Available at most restaurant supply houses.

Oh yeah, interesting note - Carnival "Floss Wagons" (food joints) usually pass with flying colors - they have the whole storage and sanitation thing to a science, traveling (sometimes) 11 months out of the year. Ex Boyfriend of mine ran a fleet of these for a show, VERY cool business.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Re: ha

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:23 pm

FireShaman wrote:I kept trying to come get a root beer float this year and never did make it over. I was thinking along the lines of fried carnival food, so I suspect they would check out my setup quite a bit more carefully.
Deep fried twinkies?

FireShaman

Post by FireShaman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:34 pm

deep fried everything. Including deep fried Grey Water (my signature drink I'm slowly developing) in a thin pastry shell.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:30 pm

I don't want to accuse anyone of being unsanitary.
I just want to say that I appreciate the idea of being able to glance at the permit and feel fairly sure that this meal isnt' going ot come back up or go out really quickly after a nasty stomach ache.
I don't go to the playa to entertain Sam and Ella.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Bluemandrew

Re: Public food service at a theme camp?

Post by Bluemandrew » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:24 am

FireShaman wrote: (specifically the requirement that ALL food prepared off site be prepared in a licensed food prep facility) seem a bit.... over the top.
I think you'll find that this is the rule for any food vending service, and isn't BM specific

FireShaman

Re: Public food service at a theme camp?

Post by FireShaman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:46 am

[quote="Bluemandrew"][quote="FireShaman"] (specifically the requirement that ALL food prepared off site be prepared in a licensed food prep facility) seem a bit.... over the top.[/quote]

I think you'll find that this is the rule for any food vending service, and isn't BM specific[/quote]

Absolutely. And when you are vending for a profit you can use that profit to rent food service preparation facilities.

sierra_kink

Post by sierra_kink » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:25 am

We served breakfast burritos with chorizo & eggs among other things. I was happy to get the green light from the inspector before we served. They are super cool and really do have everybody's best interests at heart. The year before last I lost half of my week to the shits (unrelated incident). I wouldn't wish that on anybody on the playa!! So we take sanitation very seriously. It really isn't difficult. Good hand washing, sanitation and proper food handling is more common sense than bureaucratic muscling. They are there to help you not to bust balls.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:33 pm

sierra_kink wrote:We served breakfast burritos with chorizo & eggs among other things. I was happy to get the green light from the inspector before we served. They are super cool and really do have everybody's best interests at heart. The year before last I lost half of my week to the shits (unrelated incident). I wouldn't wish that on anybody on the playa!! So we take sanitation very seriously. It really isn't difficult. Good hand washing, sanitation and proper food handling is more common sense than bureaucratic muscling. They are there to help you not to bust balls.
*BINGO*

+1

It's easy to comply and pleasant to boot. The inspectors even gave out test strips for out bleach water dip container. Nice folks.

C187
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:37 pm

We had no issue (from what I heard), the inspectors rocked, the permit was easy to get, and everything we did is what you would aspect from someone serving a sandwich. Follow the rules, ask questions, have fun.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:17 pm

Is a small food service really possible? I suspect you have to give a lot of thought to things to serve that's playa friendly!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:51 pm

maryanimal wrote:Is a small food service really possible? I suspect you have to give a lot of thought to things to serve that's playa friendly!
What might you consider playa friendly? French Crepes? Fresh Tuna Fish (not out of a can)? Root Beer Floats? Bacon and Eggs? Fruit Smoothies? I'm trying to think of even more exotic things I have seen people serve on the playa. My point being, people serve just about anything you can think of out there--which is what makes discovering those camps so much fun.

Some things, however, are easier to serve and meet health department requirements; but that doesn't stop people from doing it and doing it well.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:25 pm

jkisha wrote:
maryanimal wrote:Is a small food service really possible? I suspect you have to give a lot of thought to things to serve that's playa friendly!
What might you consider playa friendly? French Crepes? Fresh Tuna Fish (not out of a can)? Root Beer Floats? Bacon and Eggs? Fruit Smoothies? I'm trying to think of even more exotic things I have seen people serve on the playa. My point being, people serve just about anything you can think of out there--which is what makes discovering those camps so much fun.

Some things, however, are easier to serve and meet health department requirements; but that doesn't stop people from doing it and doing it well.

JK
I was thinking cannoli and coffee. Can a fridge be run on propane? I know I'll need one.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:53 pm

maryanimal wrote:
jkisha wrote:

JK
I was thinking cannoli and coffee. Can a fridge be run on propane? I know I'll need one.
Everything can be run on propane my dear...everything.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:50 pm

maryanimal wrote:
jkisha wrote:

JK
Yes, but propane refrigerators are REALLY expensive. Your best bet is to buy a chest freezer, which takes very little power (under 200 Watts for our 7cu ft freezer) to run and a small generator. Then to turn the freezer into a refrigerator buy a Johnson Controls Digital Thermostat Control Unit.

We run the freezer for our ice cream--only run it during the day--it stays cold all night--actually the instructions that came with the freezer say it will keep things frozen 24 hours if the power goes out.

We're getting another one for next year to use as a refrig. They are very efficient and the biggest reason why is that all the cold air doesn't fall out every time you open the door.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:53 pm

I, for one, had no interest for my first year in being so ambitious as to bring a fridge and/or do food service.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:55 pm

maryanimal wrote:
jkisha wrote:

JK

biscotti & coffee & you won't need a frig. :)
don't forget to floss

bud buddah

Post by bud buddah » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:05 pm

@JK, where you the folks at 7:30 just off the Esplanade making root beer floats every afternoon? I was at Mal Mart just next door, and loved those afternoon treats. Good job you guys!

If the original poster wants some help with biscotti, I'd be happy to help out. I have a friend who recently offered to lend me an industrial mixer for making big batches, and I think biscotti would hold up really well on the playa.

JR

bud buddah

Post by bud buddah » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:06 pm

@JK, where you the folks at 7:30 just off the Esplanade making root beer floats every afternoon? I was at Mal Mart just next door, and loved those afternoon treats. Good job you guys!

If the original poster wants some help with biscotti, I'd be happy to help out. I have a friend who recently offered to lend me an industrial mixer for making big batches, and I think biscotti would hold up really well on the playa.

JR

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:26 pm

maryanimal wrote:I was thinking cannoli and coffee. Can a fridge be run on propane? I know I'll need one.
YES! I picked up a classic small propane RV fridge off of craigslist for $25. It runs on propane and 120V AC(normal house current).

Lately I have been scoping out small refrigerators that are slightly bigger than dorm room size. I'm interested in running one off of solar power.

If you look on the back of the refrigerator or freezer you will see a UL tag. That tag will contain the power use information of that device. Basically voltage and amps. Using that information you can see what size of power source you will need to power it. Remember that the altitude of the playa generally makes generators loose 10% of their rated output.

The Honda EU series of generators seems to perform very well on playa and is a great thing to have around for when the power goes out.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

curiousgnate

Post by curiousgnate » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm

We did grilled cheeses this year. just send in your form ahead of time and go meet the peeps in center camp on mon -tues morning and all will be cool they will come out and are really nice, and the son of the mom who both do this is super cute, unfortunately he is most likely straight, but definately super cute! just follow all the rules and you are golden. prepare your food on the playa not off.
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!

BRC_Santa2003

What part of Radical Self-reliance....

Post by BRC_Santa2003 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:41 pm

...includes SELLING food?

I was against selling coffee at Center Camp when it first started, so wanna' guess where I am on Government Permits for Selling Food Stuffs?

Next you people will want to rent spaces for Elephant Ears, flags, t-shirts, key chains, and batteries.

Why not just CATER the whole fucking thing?
VBSanta for a reason

Eric
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: What part of Radical Self-reliance....

Post by Eric » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:13 pm

BRC_Santa2003 wrote:...includes SELLING food?
My.

We're really worked up over something that doesn't exist, aren't we?

The permits are for food that is Given Away. Just like always. By law even free food has to meet Nevada safety regulations, that's what this thread was discussing, which you probably would have realized if you had actually read it instead of just going ballistic.

If this thread got you that agitated I highly recommend avoiding the political ones. Or the snarky ones.

(What's he going to do when he finds out some rich people had their trip catered last year?)
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:36 am

I don't know, but "apoplexy" comes to mind.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:44 am

Eric wrote:
My.

The permits are for food that is Given Away. Just like always. By law even free food has to meet Nevada safety regulations, that's what this thread was discussing, which you probably would have realized if you had actually read it instead of just going ballistic.

If this thread got you that agitated I highly recommend avoiding the political ones. Or the snarky ones.

(What's he going to do when he finds out some rich people had their trip catered last year?)
that's how I stay calm and centered.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

BRC_Santa2003

Post by BRC_Santa2003 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:43 pm

Eric wrote:
My.

[/size]
Actually, I did read it all, before posting. I just irks me. I have been in camps that got around all that by 'supplying' a kitchen and 'theoretically' having everyone cook their own food.
[/color][/size=18][/size][/b]
VBSanta for a reason

Eric
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:08 pm

BRC_Santa2003 wrote:
Eric wrote:
My.

[/size]
Actually, I did read it all, before posting. I just irks me. I have been in camps that got around all that by 'supplying' a kitchen and 'theoretically' having everyone cook their own food.
The regulations apply to camps giving away food to the general population (like a bar camp, but food). Theme camps/ villages with their own private kitchen areas don't fall under the regulations unless a thresh-hold of people are being served (I think it's 20, but I can't remember the exact number)

Camps that have a kitchen but don't do communal meals (which seems to be your reference above) & don't serve to the general public don't fall under the regulations.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:18 pm

Eric wrote:
BRC_Santa2003 wrote:
Eric wrote: My.

[/size]
The regulations apply to camps giving away food to the general population (like a bar camp, but food). Theme camps/ villages with their own private kitchen areas don't fall under the regulations unless a thresh-hold of people are being served (I think it's 20, but I can't remember the exact number)

Camps that have a kitchen but don't do communal meals (which seems to be your reference above) & don't serve to the general public don't fall under the regulations.
I don't know, the whole idea of a group of people "theoretically" cooking their food on playa, does sound like a recipe for food poisoning. Especially if they were "theoretically" keeping their meat cold, too.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “2011 Theme Camps”