My petition to ban glowsticks and feathers

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
changoloco
Burning Since: 1997

My petition to ban glowsticks and feathers

Post by changoloco » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:12 am

I would say that the two MOOPS that I pick up the most of on the playa are the stupid feathers that all the tribal scenesters put in their outfits and all the glowsticks that people don't attach to themselves properly. I am starting a crusade to ban both of these things from the playa. Anyone with me? Sign the petition.

Signed,
Chango
Live the life you love, Love the life you live

Post by 707 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:29 am

If I remember correctly feathers are on the list. Good luck on getting glowsticks banned.

My short stay on the playa I found more batteries than glowsticks.

Post by Karma » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:31 am

I saw alot of beer cans and bottles around center camp. Lets ban beer too !!
"God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh".

Voltaire

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:31 am

Feathers are already banned. Education is the key. Perhaps if you see someone in feathers, ask them how many extra hours they are going to put into MOOPing?

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:49 am

Oh joy, another ban campaign! AntiM's education suggestion will likely go in one ear and out the other.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

mars

Post by mars » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:11 am

Changoloco, I soooo appreciate your care for the playa! And while I appreciate the sentiment, I disagree with the idea.

Feathers are already discouraged.

Glow sticks are not nearly as difficult to clean up as feathers. Yes, they get dropped. But they actually do serve a function and I'd rather a frat boy or a raver or an old lady use a glow stick to light themselves up at night rather than nothing. Of course it would be much better if they could get more creative than that, but not everyone can.

It's great to work toward a 100% moop-free event, but it's unlikely to get that good. In the meantime, we work to clean up after the slackers and mistakes, and in the scheme of things, picking up a glow stick or 2 or 100 ain't that bad. I'd rather pick up a glowstick than feathers, seeds, poop, broken glass, burnt wood, green plastic fake grass, dried plant material, hay, sequins, hair...all of which I have spent many an hour picking up.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:20 am

^^
^^

Glowy's are so yesterday..

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:14 pm

I do better with glowsticks than with anything battery powered.

Fifty dollars on those elwire bike things that weren't tough enough to survive regular usage was fifty dollars wasted, imho.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:26 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I do better with glowsticks than with anything battery powered.
Huh?

robrob
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Post by robrob » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:33 pm

unjonharley wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I do better with glowsticks than with anything battery powered.
Huh?
i think fishie is saying she doesnt break her glowsticks, whereas the chinese-made el wire drivers have numerous points of failure. that fail :)

(my bikeglow pieces made it, but this little burner is going to be asking santa for a soldering kit if I plan on using more and more of it- which i do, it's pretty cool stuff! but yeah, might as well cut out the middle man and stick the cheaply made chinese parts together myself, that way i can field strip and replace when they shit the bed)

DancesWithElves
Camp Name: Distrikt

Lose a feather, eat a feather!

Post by DancesWithElves » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:09 am

About mid-week every year, after I have picked up countless pink feathers, I start getting a strong urge to make the sparkle ponies I see on the dance floor eat the feathers they are shedding. One of these days I'm going to cross that line in the dust and actually act on that urge, getting stronger with every feather!
She who must be obeyed

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:53 am

Better to pick up lost glo sticks, than dead or maimed unilluminated bodies...I always say.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:45 am

TomServo wrote:Better to pick up lost glo sticks, than dead or maimed unilluminated bodies...I always say.
That is what the doggy pooper scooper on the moop mobile is for.. They kept moaning they wern't dead yet. Next years equipment will include a fish knocker

stopgo

Post by stopgo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:57 am

How about cigarettes? I probably picked up about 50 butts this year. I can't believe people throw their cigarette butts on the ground anywhere, much less at Burning Man. I'm not a big fan of smoking.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:02 am

stopgo wrote:How about cigarettes? I probably picked up about 50 butts this year. I can't believe people throw their cigarette butts on the ground anywhere, much less at Burning Man. I'm not a big fan of smoking.
Think there were a lot more new burners.. It happens abouy everyother year.. They throw there butts at home.. Not realising it's moop and damaging on the playa

mars

Post by mars » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:18 pm

I think i'm going to ask a new question in my greeter's quiz:

#5. What do you do with your cigarette butts?
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:18 pm

unjonharley wrote:
stopgo wrote:How about cigarettes? I probably picked up about 50 butts this year. I can't believe people throw their cigarette butts on the ground anywhere, much less at Burning Man. I'm not a big fan of smoking.
Think there were a lot more new burners.. It happens abouy everyother year.. They throw there butts at home.. Not realising it's moop and damaging on the playa
Cigarette butts are a very common moop item off-playa. And then they start ranting about "Smokers' Rights." Rights come with responsibilities; perhaps they need to start educating each other about that issue in order to show some sort of good faith effort.

Just pisses me off. Scott used to have his trouser pockets full of butts. Whatever else you want to say about him, he didn't throw his butts on the ground.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:20 pm

I wear a german Y strap with 8mm clip pouches. Put the smoke out on my shoe and place the butts in the pouches.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

epic

no

Post by epic » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:09 am

Ban cigarettes, megaphones and amplified sound that can be heard farther then 1000 feet away. And ban all amplified sound between 5 am and 10 am. Fuck smokers and people who love to make noise. Keep the glowsticks, its the only way we can see people at night!

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:22 am

I hope they never ban douchebags Epic.
We wouldn't want to see you miss the 2011 event.

Rilopie
Burning Since: 2008

Post by Rilopie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:25 am

^lol

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:45 am

unjonharley wrote:
TomServo wrote:Better to pick up lost glo sticks, than dead or maimed unilluminated bodies...I always say.
That is what the doggy pooper scooper on the moop mobile is for.. They kept moaning they wern't dead yet. Next years equipment will include a fish knocker
And fish knockers come in day-glo flourescent colors...how poetic.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:50 am

oneeyeddick wrote:
unjonharley wrote:
*looks down at her ventral side, confused*
The Lady with a Lamprey

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:59 am

I saw instead we make a protest that the Chinese make some real L Wire that actually is worth the money and works well. They ALWAYS break on me and I HAVE to have a back up Glowstick stash or else I will turn into Darky Darkerson. and nobody likes that.

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:01 am

Although last year I used battery operated LED (saves batteries) Xmas lights from an on line Christmas store, and they lasted a lot longer than coolneon l wire and were cheaper.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:08 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:
unjonharley wrote: That is what the doggy pooper scooper on the moop mobile is for.. They kept moaning they wern't dead yet. Next years equipment will include a fish knocker

Marty Python's,, Holy Grail, "Bring out your dead".... "But I ain't dead yet" whack in the head

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:27 am

unjonharley wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote: And fish knockers come in day-glo flourescent colors...how poetic.

Marty Python's,, Holy Grail, "Bring out your dead".... "But I ain't dead yet" whack in the head
Oh crap. I've just passed into another level of "uncool." Not seeing a MP reference is a crime in some states.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Parasitoid

Post by Parasitoid » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:49 am

banning things is probably one of the least effective ways to control peoples behavior.

mars

Post by mars » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:20 am

Then I say we ban banning!
;-}

kman

Post by kman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:13 pm

People are going to be idiots and not follow the rules no matter what you try to do or say. Otherwise there wouldn't be any feathers out there in the first place, since it only says "no feathers!" in about 40-50 places in the survival guide, online, on the eplaya, etc.

Glow sticks I am all for. At least they serve a purpose and are relatively easy to clean up. (And I'm not completely sold on the environmental argument... I think it's a much closer call than people realize, comparing glow stick pollution and waste to electronic light stick + battery pollution and waste)

I don't use the actual sticks so much anymore, but the bracelets are still really nice, and I haven't found anything electronic yet that gives off quite the same low level, nice eye-pleasing light. But as others pointed out, I'd much rather see people walking around with glow sticks on than no light at all.

Return to “Stories”