Moop Proliferation (?)

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
moonrise

Post by moonrise » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:04 pm

Long story short....I read some gate/greeter volunteers forget h20 (either way, we won't forget ya!)...there's a sweet thread about the tradition of gifting gate n greeters on eplaya....the BEST post imho was by a gal who buys yard sale coolers, cleans 'em up and freezes them 1/2 full with water and drinks and I forget what else inside and gifts them to the gate n greeters....might need an ice pick/leatherman though! That could suck, sorta...since ice is nice, isn't it out that way...not sure what is truly best? (weather was so mild...never felt hot one day..hm...luck or spoiled or both 2010?...where's the poll for weather..I'm curious)

I did my best for a disabled long lost burner (went for a couple/few days waaaay back in '93, '95..who needs sleep at that age? I needed the deadheads to show me in n out!..could walk in back then...or well, oh skip it..lol..I drive, I pay, I play)....I'll ALWAYS try to follow traditions learned at eplaya, online forums and from being a backyard burner...Reno/Tahoe as they say.... also dpw (you know who you are) thanks for pointing me towards exodus when lost at night on Tuesday? or was it Weds? anyway, hope you enjoyed the fire dust show and thanks for the couch for the night! I hobbled back to my scorched house and made it through with style!

Next burn, I'll try to bring the gate n greeters some frozen coolers with tons of good stuff...mini *agen *az maybe? and the coconut juice, pabst and waters....or if too MOOPY (what gate/greeter wants to deal with a soon to be orpahaned ice chest right?) I can just bring frozen stuff in cans and skip the coolers...let me know what we like BEST, ok?
(Coconut juice is healthy!..pabst fun, water is well...boring...so eh hem...I can skip the water if that's the case)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Theres Always One

Re: I totally Agree!!!!

Post by Theres Always One » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Coastburner wrote: I was really surprised as well at the number of people that didn't do anything to participate. I saw so many gray outfits, meaning, shorts, pants, gray tops and camelbacks that I was actually surprised of the number of people not actually trying at least a little to participate. Just my opinion.

Coastburner
Just because I don't wear some fuzzy boots or a vintage aviator hat doesn't mean I'm not participating. This was my first year and the judgements from people because I didn't "express my individuality" the same way as everyone else was staggering. Some of you are worse than the Hollywood hipsters I attempt to avoid every weekend. I fell in love with the playa but it's (some of) the people that really bum me out. My costume is a t-shirt (usually with a Family guy picture on the back), jeans, and boots. That's my costume at burning man, my costume when I go to the grocery store, and my costume when I go to the club, and my costume everywhere else. So why would I wear something different? I understand if some people "feel confined" by the default world and can only express themselves at Burning Man and that you need to dress in some attention grabbing manner to participate but not everyone does. Burning Man is for all.* Some people should practice what they preach.

Practice what you preach also applies to MOOP. I really did fall in love with the playa (especially the sunrise). And being an environmentalist I was troubled by the amount of trash I found myself picking up every day and every night. I was so angry by Friday that I went over to the recycle camp to find out what the hell was going on. Why am I picking up so much damn trash? Especially on the open playa? It broke my heart and made me really disillusioned with the whole event. I felt that there was so much hypocrisy by the community in terms of radical self reliance, inclusion, and leave no trace.

Is this really how we all live out there? Does everyone just pick up everything at the end? Leave it for DPW? WTF? Funny enough, the guy at the recycle camp told me, "Well I don't pick up every piece of trash I see." WOW. Really? You see a piece of trash on the ground and you consciously walk by it? I think next year I will be forming the BRC Garbage collection. I'm not going to take your trash home but I'm going to collect it so you can all see for yourselves and hand each car a piece of trash on the way out to take home. **rolleyes**

Just my opinion.

*As long as you look and act like we do.

Bexx
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Post by Bexx » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:27 pm

my camp really kept a hand on the moop in and around our area.. and on Monday after we had everything packed we did a massive MOOP-search. I was also surprised to find super soft 2 and 3 ply in the potties on Sat, Sun and Mon. I would switch 'em out with my one ply and then reward my nose with a good soft blow.. I also heard talk of some asshat leaving 2! bags full of trash and girly personal shiz in one of the stalls.. like the Potty guys were there to pick it up.
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!

Theres Always One

Post by Theres Always One » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:32 pm

Bexx wrote:my camp really kept a hand on the moop in and around our area.. and on Monday after we had everything packed we did a massive MOOP-search. I was also surprised to find super soft 2 and 3 ply in the potties on Sat, Sun and Mon. I would switch 'em out with my one ply and then reward my nose with a good soft blow.. I also heard talk of some asshat leaving 2! bags full of trash and girly personal shiz in one of the stalls.. like the Potty guys were there to pick it up.
I had kind of read beforehand about the "raver vs. burner" thing and I don't know how much it is ravers or just people too fucked up or what, but why the fuck are the portos so disgusting at the sound camps? I wish I had more time to help them clean up.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:02 pm

Theres Always One wrote:
I had kind of read beforehand about the "raver vs. burner" thing and I don't know how much it is ravers or just people too fucked up or what, but why the fuck are the portos so disgusting at the sound camps? I wish I had more time to help them clean up.

Just a lot more people.. I was across from a dance club.. They had up to 1000 peeps for hours and hours. All taking potty breaks..

mars

Re: i was a greeter too...

Post by mars » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:51 am

perfecto insecto wrote:i was a greeter this year (2010) as well and i too was not impressed with how many people did not know what MOOP was.

many people (virgins and non) also thought "if it didn't come from your body, don't put it in the potty" was clever, and asked if i made that up myself (sad face).

there were virgins who did not read their Survival Guide and had no lights for their bikes or their body at night...

...next year i will greet and i think i'll have a top 5 (maybe 10?) list of things that i'll ask in a fun quiz form. it'll cover some of the principals as well as helpful hints, from gifting to not riding your bikes to the burns.

anyone have good tips to call out? we could compile it here and then everyone can spread the word.
As a greeter I have a quick quiz I do for cars with virgins:
First, I tell the non-virgins that they can't answer--only for virgins:
1. What is Moop?
2. What does and doesn't go in the Porto-potties?
3. What do you need to carry with you at all times?

And then number 4 is for the driver only:

4. What is the speed limit in the city?

If the virgins don't know any of these answers, I berate the non-virgins for "doing it wrong" and not educating their virgins.

With each answer, I give a little additional explanation, explaining the fun and joy in leaving no trace, the importance of the porto-potties to the event, how they will learn to love dust storms if they are well-prepared, and how drinking lots of water will increase their overall fun.

It really is amazing how few of the virgins know what Moop is. And it's super fun berating experienced burners when their virgins are clueless.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Rob_

Re: Moop Proliferation (?)

Post by Rob_ » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:58 pm

Mosin wrote: Thoughts? Experiences? Perspective?
I've been coming since 2006 and have noticed more MOOP each year. This year's most interesting MOOP was an old, spent bullet casing. The most disgusting was a used, adult diaper in the port-o-potty. Really? Really???

Yes, our blue boxes were quite bad this year (7:30 & Cairo). Shit (literally) on the seat, empty cans strewn about, piss on the TP--but the diaper? WTF?

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:11 pm

Must be getting old

Missed a good shot this year.

Jots were crowded

Girl come out

I go in, she had hovered

Should have come out after her screaming:

"You pissed all over the seat"

Theres Always One

Post by Theres Always One » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:53 am

unjonharley wrote:Must be getting old

Missed a good shot this year.

Jots were crowded

Girl come out

I go in, she had hovered

Should have come out after her screaming:

"You pissed all over the seat"
LOL <3

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:40 am

This was the worst year for MOOP I've ever seen. We always sweep the entire area around us, not just within our camp. What I consider lot's of neighborhood MOOP for a typical pack-up day is a ziploc full of little bits and bobbles. This year the camp directly beside us dumped two bags of drippy garbage on us and left some chrome retail-type display fixtures, and an enormous pile of plastic coat hangers in their own camp. I'm still puzzled over the amount of coat hangers... I'm talking 200 or more. We hauled out all the bags and the hangers and some other neighbors were packing the other crap.

As others started to dissipate around us we saw two more piles, and I mean piles of garbage bags... like 10 or more bags each. As one RV pulled away from the area near one pile, I chased them down.

Two girls and one guy in an empty 28' unit.

Me: "Is that your crap you're pulling away from?"

Driver: "Nope, it was the camp next to us"

Me: "Then can you take a few bags? We're taking some out with us?"

Driver and girls: "Oh no... we don't have any space"

I just shook my head.

At this point I had been dealing with fucktards so much already that I felt it easier to just pick up after them than have an argument. In the end, at least the good neighbors around us rallied to help pick up after the bad ones.

Enjoyment of BM 2010: 55%
Sickness over all the MOOP: 45%

Despite this, it was still my best year since my first.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:22 am

Until playa voom... thanks Le Chat for doing your bit. I got some great hugs and responses for early morning mooping. It's good to show others what it means by doing it. Not sure how the message of LNT just flew past so many this year. Perhaps a return to pooetry and moopetry on the entry signs and just keep hammering it in. I think I'll make a no moop sign for my camp next year and put it on the street edge.

Then he yelled, "Take your hat off now, Little Cat Z!
Take the Voom off your head!
Make it clean up the moop!
Hurry!
You Little Cat!
One!
Two!
Three!
Swoop!"
Then the Voom...
It went VOOM!
And, oh boy!
What a VOOM!
Now, don't ask me what Voom is.
(I think it's my peer group.)
But, boy!
Let me tell you it does clean up moop!
"So you see!" laughed the Cat, "Now your playa is all white!
Now your work is all done!
Now your house is all right!

mars

Post by mars » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:22 am

I think a lot of one's moop perception and experience has to do with where you are camped, what big party camps are around you and how close they are, and the character of the people who happen to be your neighbors. Not to mention, the direction of the wind and proximity to porto-potties.

I've had a lot worse years in the past...I must've been in an awesome neighborhood this year...the moop was the lowest amount I have ever seen it, even though we were quite close to a really popular block of porto potties.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:51 am

Rob_ wrote:
I've been coming since 2006 and have noticed more MOOP each year. This year's most interesting MOOP was an old, spent bullet casing. The most disgusting was a used, adult diaper in the port-o-potty. Really? Really???

Yes, our blue boxes were quite bad this year (7:30 & Cairo). Shit (literally) on the seat, empty cans strewn about, piss on the TP--but the diaper? WTF?
Really? Those were my local potties too and I was amazed at how well they were kept really. Hmm.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Rob_

Post by Rob_ » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:04 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
Rob_ wrote:

Really? Those were my local potties too and I was amazed at how well they were kept really. Hmm.
It's hard to generalize--wait--it's too easy to generalize, but hard to quantify MOOP. Maybe I happened to pick the MOOPy potties; maybe the used diaper (still wondering if that was a bad joke) was just too much for me. But yeah, I think they were worse overall.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:20 am

Set your camera on the drivers seat (soyou know where it is) while packing up.. Get some lic# and see if org would run a shame on the mooper program.. Missed a chance once.. have had the camera set up sence.. The camp not only left the (kiddy pool) evap pond.. But they run over with there duals to flatten it..

jonnynomad

Post by jonnynomad » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:24 pm

This was my first burn and I have to say I did see a little more moop later in the week than I would have liked to. i made an effort at night to pick up fallen glowsticks which everyone seemed unaware of. THEY FUCKING GLOW!

anyways, Nexus camp on Sunday Morning had a ton of garbage. Luckily the excellent bartenders charged 10 pieces of litter for every drink. The place got cleaned up quick!

It was unsettling to see some people take their beer cans and put them to the side under a platform. I notice this a lot at all the dance parties - Nexus, Tower of Babel, Opulent Temple. People bring backpacks for a reason, lets use em!

Good form for whoever picked up trash along the Burn!

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:38 pm

What I found odd was the old MOOP in Hushville. It was obviously a year old and stuck in the dust and mud, things like zip ties and metal pieces from tents? Zippers? From other campers through the year? I don't know, but we picked it up.

MistressSybs

Post by MistressSybs » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:57 pm

AntiM wrote:What I found odd was the old MOOP in Hushville. It was obviously a year old and stuck in the dust and mud, things like zip ties and metal pieces from tents? Zippers? From other campers through the year? I don't know, but we picked it up.
Actually we found old moop in the dust and mud in our area too...
Opinions and Assholes, everybody's got one!

.:: starfuckers incorporated ::.

brushfire on the playa
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Miso Horny

Post by brushfire on the playa » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:45 pm

I always carry around a grocery bag or something like it in my backpack for MOOP collection while I'm out. That way, I won't be discouraged from picking up MOOP by the idea of that stale beer from a dusty can getting all over my non-stale-beer stuff. It makes it easy peasy to just take the filled bag out of my backpack and throw it away when I get back to camp, rather than digging through my bag for that last feather I remembered picking up. :)
i'm on the playa, bitch!

bigger and better next year, every year...

Theres Always One

Post by Theres Always One » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:16 pm

brushfire on the playa wrote:I always carry around a grocery bag or something like it in my backpack for MOOP collection while I'm out. That way, I won't be discouraged from picking up MOOP by the idea of that stale beer from a dusty can getting all over my non-stale-beer stuff. It makes it easy peasy to just take the filled bag out of my backpack and throw it away when I get back to camp, rather than digging through my bag for that last feather I remembered picking up. :)
I really like this! :)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:05 am

brushfire on the playa wrote:I always carry around a grocery bag or something like it in my backpack for MOOP collection while I'm out. That way, I won't be discouraged from picking up MOOP by the idea of that stale beer from a dusty can getting all over my non-stale-beer stuff. It makes it easy peasy to just take the filled bag out of my backpack and throw it away when I get back to camp, rather than digging through my bag for that last feather I remembered picking up. :)
That wasn't a dusty can of stale beer. That was an offering to the playabrownies to ask for their help in cleaning up. Now that camp got a yellow, and it's all your fault.

Edited to add: You don't have to do the grocery bag thing. Think of what a lovely handbag you could be mooping with, courtesy of your favorite thrift store.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:22 am

I use my foreskin to hold MOOP i pick up.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:24 am

You only do that when it's broken glass.

(Waits to be slammed by Ygmir for reasons.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:31 pm

AntiM wrote:What I found odd was the old MOOP in Hushville. It was obviously a year old and stuck in the dust and mud, things like zip ties and metal pieces from tents? Zippers? From other campers through the year? I don't know, but we picked it up.
I almost immediately found about 70 cents in very playa crusty change when I stepped out of the car and kept finding other odd crusty bits like tent stakes and screws while we were setting up. Had to have been from 2008 because the city was in a different place in 2009.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

Return to “Stories”