My next playa bike.

All things outside of Burning Man.
Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

My next playa bike.

Post by Eric » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:42 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

kman

Post by kman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:28 pm

Good concept fort he default world, but that flame thrower was pretty weak compared to the standard-issue playa bike-mounted flamethrower. ;)

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:44 pm

the ejector seat doesn't have enough "oomph" either, but the concept is pretty. Replace the ski with a forward facing flame-thrower and put its fuel tanks near the seat. If it's not dangerous it's not art.

Those tracks would wreck the playa though....
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

kman

Post by kman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm thinking a trike is a better platform for any flamethrower worth having on the playa anyway.

Definitely on the shopping list for next year. ;)

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:49 pm

I'm thinking that there are "some people" that would prefer a bike without a seat!

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:12 pm

Shambala wrote:I'm thinking that there are "some people" that would prefer a bike without a seat!
I heard about her at the Folsom St. fetish fair. Wonder if there's a photo....

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:17 pm

Eric wrote:
Shambala wrote:I'm thinking that there are "some people" that would prefer a bike without a seat!
I heard about her at the Folsom St. fetish fair. Wonder if there's a photo....
This is the best photo I can find.....

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:15 pm

2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:30 pm

oh!! whats those??
don't forget to floss

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:58 pm

monocycles.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:58 pm

Dear Santa................

kman

Post by kman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:54 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:Image
Ouch, $13k?!?

weirdscience

Post by weirdscience » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:41 pm

im thinking one of these ... no chain lube needed.. its not even really a chain http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/ur ... /district/

Who's awesome? You're awesome! :) .

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:57 am

Just picked up an old folding bike.. 16 inch welded steel frame.. Not the kind you would take on a plane.. I'll have to repaint it.. The axel weight on the trailer this year was wayover the top...So a smaller bike will help

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:46 am

Looking for an old kickstand... The kind that loop under the rear wheel and swing up attaching to a rear fender bracket.. Is there another name for this type of kickstand??

I' sure I could make one with my bender... So maybe a good picture would help..

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:31 am

weirdscience wrote:im thinking one of these ... no chain lube needed.. its not even really a chain http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/ur ... /district/

Lol @ a $1000 bike for BM. Know what the best kind is? The cheapest thing you can find.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:54 am

weirdscience

Post by weirdscience » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:55 am

junglesmacks wrote:
weirdscience wrote:im thinking one of these ... no chain lube needed.. its not even really a chain http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/ur ... /district/

Lol @ a $1000 bike for BM. Know what the best kind is? The cheapest thing you can find.
lol the price is bad but if they would put that technology on a cheaper bike that would rock that would be the best playa bike
Who's awesome? You're awesome! :) .

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:27 am

Why did the bike fall over?
?
?
?
It's two tired

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:38 am

kman wrote:I'm thinking a trike is a better platform for any flamethrower worth having on the playa anyway.

Definitely on the shopping list for next year. ;)
I mounted a brazing torch and a weed sprayer filled with kerosene on my bicycle with no problems. A trike would be good for bigger fire effects though.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

BAS

Post by BAS » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:45 am

You'd better double check what its "chain" is made out of-- it might not survive playa dust any better than a chain would. (I've seen pictures of it before and am skeptical of the belt's durability in general.)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:27 pm

:D
Cog belts are very well proven technology. Some of the largest motorcycles use them instead of chains.

Those big wide parking stands that swing up behind the rear wheel are also well proven technology -- just not currently fashionable. I remember seeing a lot of them when I grew up in Europe. They are on my long list of things I would like to fabricate for my little fleet of Playa bikes. Please post pictures if you have one or build one.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:18 pm

Elliot wrote::D
Cog belts are very well proven technology. Some of the largest motorcycles use them instead of chains.

Those big wide parking stands that swing up behind the rear wheel are also well proven technology -- just not currently fashionable. I remember seeing a lot of them when I grew up in Europe. They are on my long list of things I would like to fabricate for my little fleet of Playa bikes. Please post pictures if you have one or build one.
I'm just now looking for the right stock to bend a kickstand.. Most bikes back then had full rear fenders.. There was a clip on it to hold the stand up out of the way.. I have seen pictures of spring loaded wheel stands.. But that wold make it to labor intence for my liking.. Also there is a two leg kickstand made for hualer bikes.. They are spring loaded and fit on the bike frame in front of the wheel.. I want the old school rear wheel stand for looks.. Got pre 65 folding 16 inch bike for the playa this year.. The front fender is in tact.. the rear vintage fender is missing..

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:57 pm

For that style of kickstand, Im picturing something simple useing emt and a bender.

Do it as a one piece with the ends flattened and drill holes to attach to the back axel.

Maybe a bungee to hold it up when your riding.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:26 am

Yes, it shouldn't take much. We would need to make sure our heels cannot hit it while we are pedaling. I'm thinking we could combine it with a luggage rack -- using the luggage rack to hold the stand up while riding.

I won't have a chance to work on this for a long time, but perhaps some of youse guys can?

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:47 pm

Elliot wrote::D
Yes, it shouldn't take much. We would need to make sure our heels cannot hit it while we are pedaling. I'm thinking we could combine it with a luggage rack -- using the luggage rack to hold the stand up while riding.

I won't have a chance to work on this for a long time, but perhaps some of youse guys can?
Looking for some 1/2 inch wide C channel.. Found some in aluminim.. Might try that if I can not find steel..

If steel it will have to be heated while bending it to the outside of the C.. Want the C to face it's inside to the ground.. And the C will face outside going up to the axel
.Need four thin walled nut.. They will have to be married on the axel to leave pivot room for the stand..

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:25 pm

I'm no fan of stacking additional components and functions onto the axle. It is difficult enough as it is to keep wheel bearings and chains adjusted -- and the axle may not be long enough for more Stuff.

So... how about attaching the stand to the frame in front of the wheel? This would be near where the brake torque arm attaches on bikes with coaster brakes. The additional length of the stand should not be a problem, as we would want the stand to go over center in the parked position anyway.

And if we combine the stand with a sturdy luggage rack, we could make good use of an attachment point in that area anyway, since not all bikes have luggage rack (or fender) mounting points.

Maybe I mentioned it already, but.... It is important to make sure there is still plenty of room for the rider's feet -- the heels. (Voice of painful -- or at least annoyed -- experience.)

Figjam -- yeah, EMT (electrical conduit) ought to work. I think I would just flatten it for the bends -- quicker, cheaper, sharper bends, and a natural place to bolt or rivet additional components.

For attachment to the rear triangle of the frame.... How about those little Omega shaped clamps that are intended for EMT?

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30 pm

This is simpler than that.

Take an 8ft. stick of 1/2in. emt.

The first bend is in the middle so that you have a big U.

Lay this flat on the ground and mark both (legs) of the U so that your next bends will leave uniform lengths.

With the U laying on the ground bend the legs UP past the 90 degree position.

The footprint for the stand is now about 1ftx1ft.

Cut the upright ends to the desired hieght.

Flatten the ends and drill holes to mount to the bike.

If you dont want to bolt to the axel, put a piece of strap around the frame just forward of the back hub, run some bolts through and mount to these.

The U will point toward the front of the bike.

This will swivel up the back an hook to back basket or swivel clear up behind the seat.

Hope this is clear enough to be helpful.

I think it could be done in 15min. :)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:50 pm

Figjam, I'm sitting here reading a Tom Clancy novel, full of military and cloak-n-dagger hot shots barking orders and saving the World. So.... You think you have 15 minutes? I want the photos on my desk in ten minutes, Lieutenant. :lol:

Well.... It is 21:dark:45 Hours, so let's do it tomorrow before our daily 5 AM shooting range session.

Your design is different from what I have in mind -- and that's a good thing; we need options to stay ahead of the Chinese. Carry on. File your brief with the National Security Adviser. Dismissed.
:lol:

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:06 am

FIGJAM, The Elliot and I are looking for the old school look..

I have a great picture of a stand made for EMT..

I have a shape for my bender that inverts the radius of the e.m.t.. Makes a nice looking corner.. Like those on lawn chairs.. Making an alike bend at the cut offs would form a flat for the mount bolts. Bend the e.m.t. then bend it back for thar effect..

Return to “Open Discussion”