BRC rangers (no balls)

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
diode
Burning Since: 2000

Re: BRC rangers (no balls)

Post by diode » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:29 pm

muley wrote:the rangers do not seem to do anything but walk around and try and look cool why do they have them ?
It's a testament to the rigorous ranger training regimen that rangers manage to look cool in khaki and beige.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:25 am

It's a testament to the rigorous ranger training regimen that rangers manage to look cool in khaki and beige.
And pearls (sometimes).

Jus Say Ventura

Post by Jus Say Ventura » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:24 pm

Isotopia wrote: And pearls (sometimes).
Its true!

There are some rangers have No Balls what so ever!

They have littles pearls.

Try Slamming me to the mat on that!
"Da Mind, Da Bod! Da Governor of BRC!"
(Governor since 2001)

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:41 pm

Ahem. I have photographic proof rangers indeed have balls under those khaki kilts. Balls indeed.

We obviously don't know the same rangers.

Anti M
The Happy Photographer
(hey, there's an art project in there somewhere ....)

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:22 pm

Try Slamming me to the mat on that!
Not interested. Too busy yawning.
Desert dogs drink deep.

PurpleKoosh
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by PurpleKoosh » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:31 pm

AntiM wrote:Ahem. I have photographic proof rangers indeed have balls under those khaki kilts.
Yeah, but nothing beats first-hand knowledge....

He seemed to like the second hand more, though.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:53 am

AntiM wrote:Ahem. I have photographic proof rangers indeed have balls under those khaki kilts. Balls indeed.

We obviously don't know the same rangers.

Anti M
The Happy Photographer
(hey, there's an art project in there somewhere ....)
So are you saying that there are no women rangers. Is that some kind of sexist statement?

Man those transexual Rangers are really good then! I thought some of were really women. Guess the camera doesn't lie.

A II Z

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:27 am

Don't be fooled, some women rangers have balls too, simply more metaphorically than literally. Perhaps I should rephrase: I have photographic evidence at least one ranger has balls. I'd have proof of two, but my flash wasn't on for the first snapshot.

All better now?

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

For your information

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:07 pm

muley wrote:btw the look cool thing came from a ranger(the guy trying to get all the b-day kisses for the record book)
Lovely article from Piss Clear on the above reference...
http://www.pissclear.org/Articles/2003/ ... ecord.html

STN

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:15 am

The rangers walk around looking cool. Until they are needed. What else do you want? Use a range today there tired of looking cool "all the time".
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

jarjar

Post by jarjar » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:26 am

Badger wrote:
I can't WAIT for Badger or any other Ranger to jump on this thread.
Tell you what Muley (or is it Mewler), when you show myself and others here that your concerns are based more in experience and actual observation rather than some lame, tossed off, asstard little platitude we'll talk about Rangering.

And balls.
ahhh. i know i'm gonna get a shit load of crap dumped on me, but ya know what? i don't care. i dont post very often, but i feel i must this time.

rangers are only useful as go-betweens for us and law enforcement. otherwise, they take up space real burners could use. ALL of the interactions i have had with rangers had a bad outcome. 3 times while on the playa i needed help. 3 times i've asked rangers for help. 3 times i was refused.

(you asked for an example)

one time i was out on the playa looking at art. my transportation broke. at the time, i was on lots of meds. (i had just started taking a new one just before the burn) i couldn't walk long distances. i flagged down a passing ranger and asked for a ride, and explained what was happening. (i practically begged the man for a ride) (i was also feeling very weak and sick to my stomach... i didn't realize it at the time, but i was having a very bad reaction to the new med) the ranger told me ... and i quote: "if it is your karma to die on the playa, who am i to interfere with that?". and he drove off, leaving me stranded about 2 miles from my camp. a couple of hours later, still trying to get back to my camp, i collapsed on the playa. a passing art car stopped and gave me a ride back. (after a stop at the med tent).

i wont even talk about the ranger that stayed at my house for a month (he was invited to stay a week) and never bathed. (i found out that the last time he showered was early august, and it was mid sept when he came to my house) after he finally left, it took me 3 weeks to get his nasty smell out of my couch.

maybe there are good rangers out there. i don't know. in my experience, i've never met one. the following quote is taken from a piss clear article about a ranger that goes by the name of stickfinger. it about sums up what rangers do out on the playa.

"Evidently, you've never Rangered. All you do mostly is walk from one installation to another, testing their shade for shadiness, and pretending you know something, unless a DPW rig goes raging by at 30 mph, in which case you're forced to admit that you're just a poser with a radio and a sexy hat.
The main advantage of Rangering, in fact, is that you get a seat in front of everyone else for the Burn. This year, I will forego that, and be working the crowd for my kisses. Life is tough in BRC."

yep. tough life in brc.

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:16 am

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the serious quoting from Piss Clear highly ironic?

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:02 am

jarjar wrote:one time i was out on the playa looking at art. my transportation broke. at the time, i was on lots of meds. (i had just started taking a new one just before the burn) i couldn't walk long distances. i flagged down a passing ranger and asked for a ride, and explained what was happening. (i practically begged the man for a ride) (i was also feeling very weak and sick to my stomach... i didn't realize it at the time, but i was having a very bad reaction to the new med) the ranger told me ... and i quote: "if it is your karma to die on the playa, who am i to interfere with that?". and he drove off, leaving me stranded about 2 miles from my camp. a couple of hours later, still trying to get back to my camp, i collapsed on the playa. a passing art car stopped and gave me a ride back. (after a stop at the med tent).
1) If your transportation broke, maybe you weren't prepared for it. Did you test it at home? Sounds like you left it on the playa.
2) If you started new meds, and they had possible serious side effects such as you mentioned- why the fuck did you bike out into the middle of nowhere? If you can't walk long distances because of your meds- why did you go into a inhospitable event in the middle of a desert?
3) If you the ranger left you there, they probably seen that you weren't in need of immediate medical attention. Why the fuck should they cart you around? How many people do you think ask for rides and give excuses?

Sounds to me like an entirely avoidable situation from a dozen aspects. If the meds are that seriously debilhitating, where is a partner to make sure you are OK? More importantly- WHY THAT FUCK ARE YOU GOING TO A PARTY IN THE MIDDLE OF ONE OF THE NASTIEST ENVIRONMENTS IN AMREICA? My roommate is a nurse with some serious issues (insulin diabetic for one). She went last year, but a couple things cropped up and she decided that her health wasn't up to par for the experience this year. Many make this choice. You didn't. Then bailed way out on the playa without a buddy to look after you. Then expected other people to carry you around.

Sorry, but I have very little sympathy for you.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:03 am

jarjar wrote:one time i was out on the playa looking at art. my transportation broke. at the time, i was on lots of meds. (i had just started taking a new one just before the burn) i couldn't walk long distances. i flagged down a passing ranger and asked for a ride, and explained what was happening. (i practically begged the man for a ride) (i was also feeling very weak and sick to my stomach... i didn't realize it at the time, but i was having a very bad reaction to the new med) the ranger told me ... and i quote: "if it is your karma to die on the playa, who am i to interfere with that?". and he drove off, leaving me stranded about 2 miles from my camp. a couple of hours later, still trying to get back to my camp, i collapsed on the playa. a passing art car stopped and gave me a ride back. (after a stop at the med tent).
1) If your transportation broke, maybe you weren't prepared for it. Did you test it at home? Sounds like you left it on the playa.
2) If you started new meds, and they had possible serious side effects such as you mentioned- why the fuck did you bike out into the middle of nowhere? If you can't walk long distances because of your meds- why did you go into a inhospitable event in the middle of a desert?
3) If the ranger left you there, they probably seen that you weren't in need of immediate medical attention. Why the fuck should they cart you around? How many people do you think ask for rides and give excuses?

Sounds to me like an entirely avoidable situation from a dozen aspects. If the meds are that seriously debilhitating, where is a partner to make sure you are OK? More importantly- WHY THAT FUCK ARE YOU GOING TO A PARTY IN THE MIDDLE OF ONE OF THE NASTIEST ENVIRONMENTS IN AMERICA? My roommate is a nurse with some serious issues (insulin diabetic for one). She went last year, but a couple things cropped up and she decided that her health wasn't up to par for the experience this year. Many make this choice. You didn't. Then bailed way out on the playa without a buddy to look after you. Then expected other people to carry you around.

Sorry, but I have very little sympathy for you.

playasnake

Post by playasnake » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:06 am

i will agree that some rangers have no balls. these are called women.
e pluribus unimog

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:08 am

My playa cardinal rule: Don't fuck up anyone else's experience. It's a very broad brush to use, but it works. The Rangers might be making excuses for our sorry behavior but there's no need to give them inspiration. Now if the unexpected happens, that's one thing. But the story above sounds mostly preventable. I think someone needs to go back, re-read the survival and first timer's guide and get a better feel for the event.

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:08 am

My playa cardinal rule: Don't fuck up anyone else's experience. It's a very broad brush to use, but it works. The Rangers might be making excuses for our sorry behavior but there's no need to give them inspiration. Now if the unexpected happens, that's one thing. But the story above sounds mostly preventable. I think someone needs to go back, re-read the survival and first timer's guide and get a better feel for the event.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:11 am

Wholy shit!

That was some funny shit. Image
[url=http://www.digicastinternational.com][img]http://76.14.56.240/digiweb/button10.jpg[/img][/url]

"[i][b]The art is in the digit![/b][/i]"

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?search_author=THE+ORIGINAL+DIGIMAN]The Original Digiman[/url]

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:43 pm

Rob the Wop wrote:
3) If the ranger left you there, they probably seen that you weren't in need of immediate medical attention. Why the fuck should they cart you around? How many people do you think ask for rides and give excuses?
[Grabbing a chair and a whip before I respond to this.]
Almost every ranger out there with the exception of the one encountered by Jarjar, would have helped out. Rangers are simply volunteers to help make sure everyone has a safe as possible Burn. If a ranger doesn't want to help out someone in trouble, then hey come to the Burn and drink beer and nap all day long, don't volunteer.

RtW, everyone has weaknessess, you never know how the playa is going to affect you. Some years are hot, cold, wet, dusty or whatever. We just do the best we can. You seem to be lacking in empathy and human decency. I'm sure plenty of people have given you a break despite this. :)
Be the change you seek in the world.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:25 pm

Dammit I'm so indecisive... I can see both sides of this.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:37 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Dammit I'm so indecisive... I can see both sides of this.
I hear you. I "volunteer" to work the Gate, among other things. So yes that means I don't buy a ticket when I arrive before most people. Though I think of free admission as a token gesture when working multiple shifts, plus doing other things at the organization that can get people either discounted tickets or free admission.

I'm hoping not everyone is judging people working the event by a few bad apples. Or bad apples may be unfair, how about people having occasional bad moments? Heat and lack of rest can get to Rangers and Gate staff, too.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:38 pm

Stormy wrote: You seem to be lacking in empathy and human decency. I'm sure plenty of people have given you a break despite this. :)
Never asked for a break. Or for your approval, for that matter.

I believe that people that place themselves in dangerous positions out of sheer stupidity, and then run around asking people to carry them afterwards- should not be coddled.

He knew the meds prevented him from walking distances. I have taken many meds and none have been THAT serious. He had forknowledge and disregarded it in order to amuse himself. A ranger didn't pick him up. Think about it, if he was REALLY in that bad a shape- you don't think he would have been carted off to the med tent? Rangers are supposed to keep an eye out for things as such. By his previous postings he indicated that he wants others to watch out for him, rather than do things himself.

He placed himself voluntarily in a position that could have affected not just him, but those around him AND the event in general by his actions.

If you want to follow around the clueless and wipe their asses, go ahead. But before you start whining READ THE TICKET. Its pretty clear that you need to make sure you're self-reliant. This would include following a doctor's advice and making sure you have someone looking out for you when you're on seriously heavy medication.

Tiara

Post by Tiara » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:49 pm

jarjar wrote: ahhh. i know i'm gonna get a shit load of crap dumped on me, but ya know what? i don't care. i dont post very often, but i feel i must this time.

rangers are only useful as go-betweens for us and law enforcement. otherwise, they take up space real burners could use. ALL of the interactions i have had with rangers had a bad outcome. 3 times while on the playa i needed help. 3 times i've asked rangers for help. 3 times i was refused.

(you asked for an example)
Maybe you deserve to have that load dumped on you. Because dumping a load of crap seems to be what you're doing here.

Let me give you three more examples of what Rangers do:

1) Rangers quickly and efficiently find lost children. On my very first shift, I helped to locate a missing 8 year old girl, in the company of an individual whose motives were questioned by the Sheriff.

2) Rangers creatively solve problems. When my partner and I came across a couple who were lost and cold, he showed them to his tent and put them up in his warm bed for the night. After all, he didn't need it, because we work all night (midnight to 8am) on graveyard shift.

3) Rangers give back to the community. At their own expense many distribute bottled water to people who seem in danger of hydration, light sources to the unlit at night, food, bandaids, and countless other things that people need. When and where they need them.

If you don't notice a BRC Ranger, it's not because they're not there. It's because most don't do it for the recognition, and are content to blend into the dust until needed by the community.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:55 pm

Rob the Wop wrote:
Stormy wrote: You seem to be lacking in empathy and human decency. I'm sure plenty of people have given you a break despite this. :)
Never asked for a break. Or for your approval, for that matter.
Just making an observation. No worries, won't make the mistake of giving you a break.
If you want to follow around the clueless and wipe their asses, go ahead. But before you start whining READ THE TICKET.
Oh, I'll make sure you read it to me word for word, when I take yours at the Gate. In fact you can show me how wonderfully self-reliant you are as I have you unpack every last inch of your vehicle for inspection. And I hope you arrive around noon when it's nice and hot. Remember no whining, even if you think you're going to pass out from the effort in the heat.

III

Post by III » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:19 pm

>In fact you can show me how wonderfully self-reliant you are as I have you unpack every last inch of your vehicle for inspection.

yup. it's true - they put all the fucking control freaks at the gate, to kededp em the hell out of the rest of the community.

way to abuse your "authority" in public, stormy. i can't believe they pay you to do that...
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:40 pm

May I be the first to say, "Welcome back III"!!!

I'm not gettin' in on this one, but that post is exactly the sort of thing I (we've) missed.

Y'all can continue...

jarjar

Post by jarjar » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:34 am

Rob the Wop wrote:
"Never asked for a break. Or for your approval, for that matter."

"I believe that people that place themselves in dangerous positions out of sheer stupidity, and then run around asking people to carry them afterwards- should not be coddled."

i didn't ask to be coddled. i asked for help.

"He knew the meds prevented him from walking distances."

wrong. the meds don't prevent me from walking, the disease does.

"I have taken many meds and none have been THAT serious."

and i hope you never have to take some of the nasty meds i have been on. everything from barfing for hours on end, loosing hair and skin layers, being bed ridden for days. it sucks. but nothing is going to prevent me from going to the burn.

"He had forknowledge and disregarded it in order to amuse himself."

heh. that's just too funny.

"A ranger didn't pick him up. Think about it, if he was REALLY in that bad a shape- you don't think he would have been carted off to the med tent? Rangers are supposed to keep an eye out for things as such."

no comment. (oh, i was carted off to the med tent)

"By his previous postings he indicated that he wants others to watch out for him, rather than do things himself."

i'm actually quite self reliant. i want no babysitter, nor do i have one. i don't think in any of my postings i have asked for a baby sitter (all 4 of them) you would be quite surprised how much stuff i can do for myself. i even know how to whipe my own ass! as for my vehicle, it was tested and retested before we got to the playa. it just didnt stand up to the harsher conditions ON the playa. shit happens.

"He placed himself voluntarily in a position that could have affected not just him, but those around him AND the event in general by his actions."

oh please.

"If you want to follow around the clueless and wipe their asses, go ahead. But before you start whining READ THE TICKET. Its pretty clear that you need to make sure you're self-reliant. This would include following a doctor's advice and making sure you have someone looking out for you when you're on seriously heavy medication."

i've read the ticket. and agree with it. if something serious happens to me out there, so be it. i just wont expect any help from any rangers is all. they are busy passing out bandaids and getting front row seats to the burn. i am sure there are good rangers out there, but i have never met one. well, maybe one. btw, my Dr told me to have fun at the burn. she is coming herself next year. /
"see what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass?"

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:37 am

Jesus fuck, Stormy.

A disagreement is one thing, but out and out threats... that's fucked up.

Would you mind terribly posting the schedule of when you'll be volunteering - it's possible I may have offended you at some point or another and while I'm happy to cooperate with the gate staff I'd prefer not to risk having to jump through any hoops because of your vindictiveness.
It's all about the squirrels.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:10 am

Lydia Love wrote:Jesus fuck, Stormy.

A disagreement is one thing, but out and out threats... that's fucked up.

Would you mind terribly posting the schedule of when you'll be volunteering - it's possible I may have offended you at some point or another and while I'm happy to cooperate with the gate staff I'd prefer not to risk having to jump through any hoops because of your vindictiveness.
Should I have added a little :D in my message?

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:12 am

[quote="III] way to abuse your "authority" in public, stormy. i can't believe they pay you to do that...[/quote]

Yay, I can't believe they pay me to do that either. Oh wait, they don't pay me... hmm.

Return to “Philosophical Center”