One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
The Hustler
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by The Hustler » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:48 pm

AntiM wrote:We picked up a set of folding LED solar lanterns. They are colorful, and made of a silky nylon~ish fabric, so it seems as though they will be tough enough to decorate the rhoadescar. Nice.
That sounds pretty good. Can you elaborate on where you bought/found/stole/acquired them?

Feel free to email or PM if you want, or answer here.

thanks

(That's a big thanks)
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:51 pm

On base, in the PX.

Well, they do have a garden center.....

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:37 pm

AntiM wrote:On base, in the PX.

Well, they do have a garden center.....
Oh, thanks!

I'll look in a couple of weeks when I do my reservist thing at Lackland. I work at Randolph, but its garden center thing is sorta lame.
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:46 pm

We got ours on Hill AFB. The selection varies and sells out fast. Wish I'd picked up a few more, they're cool!

hookahdude

Post by hookahdude » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Rattled Mr. Yan's cage about my damned overcoat. "Tested" the "Mint Chocolate Chill" hookah tobacco - it is a go. Put new battery and starter into my '85 F-150 (it will be taking us to the airport so it kinda counts). Looked at blinky crap, tents, and started to work on logististics of packing and shipping.
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:11 pm

Spent time today,window shoping and honing my wants and needs for the playa.. Last year I was 800 pounds over on the axel limit.. Did'nt use about one third of the shit I hualed down there.. Example for today.. The bed I wanted cost $70 the one I need $22. Will actuly be warmer, softer with a little more room.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:41 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:
AntiM wrote:We picked up a set of folding LED solar lanterns. They are colorful, and made of a silky nylon~ish fabric, so it seems as though they will be tough enough to decorate the rhoadescar. Nice.
That sounds pretty good. Can you elaborate on where you bought/found/stole/acquired them?

Feel free to email or PM if you want, or answer here.

thanks

(That's a big thanks)

Ikea has a new line of solar lights. The round lantern types in various sizes, robe/tube lighting, lamps and a few others.

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:43 am

Ikea=swedish walmart, lol. I've found their batteries to be the best for the price.

This weekend I picked up a couple 12 packs of soda (for mixers) the grocery store had a coupon, that made the 12 packs .98 cents each!! Gotta find more of those coupons.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:28 am

Might want to try a Freecyle wanted for the coupons. It varies by region but around here there are times when coupons are the hottest thing happening on there.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:50 pm

I pulled my car canopy, enclosure, and extension kits out of the boxes and examined parts. Need to find big duffles to hold them because boxes are fragile, and I'm sure the fabric will not fit back in boxes after use. I'm not satisied with the top tightening method and need additional grommet kits and tighteners, possibly cable tighteners and clamps also. Need ducttape and cable ties also. Fabric sheets for interior walls, and carpet/tarp pieces for the floor. I might need to drag up my trailer anyway.

I filled my rolling cooler with 2 cases of soda, so I know i can bring plenty of beer later. Got my canned goods sorted, will leave perishables for my stop in Lovelock. I got cash put away for gas. I got my yard mowed but still to damp for practice camp. I'm better prepared this year than any other...knock on wood...
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

Bounce530

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:58 pm

Oldguy wrote:I'm better prepared this year than any other...knock on wood...
Thats great to hear OG!

hookahdude

Post by hookahdude » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Got "comfy" pants today. Very light and very comfy. All is as it should be...
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:09 pm

I plan to have a practice camp or two on the beach in Port Aransas, TX. It's a non-oiled coast area of the Gulf of Mexico.

I think the ground may be similar to the playa, or sorta close. The constant wind, hard ground and blowing sand and dust will be a good test. Hopefully I can go during a hurricane!

One difference are the sand dunes and crazy amount of MOOP.

Jiā yóu!

Bounce530

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:15 pm

Thats a great idea SEB, but...you say there's constant wind. That doesn't afford you the experience of chilling out with say, your afternoon nibbles or, repairing something, taking something apart to change batteries, etc spread out on a table and then WHAMMO getting bitch slapped by a out of nowhere dust/wind storm, and having to collect your food or whatever and chase down what ever you where working on that just went to ludicris speed! It'll be the nicest day ever one minute then zero vis the next.

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:21 pm

Bounce530 wrote:Thats a great idea SEB, but...you say there's constant wind. That doesn't afford you the experience of chilling out with say, your afternoon nibbles or, repairing something, taking something apart to change batteries, etc spread out on a table and then WHAMMO getting bitch slapped by a out of nowhere dust/wind storm, and having to collect your food or whatever and chase down what ever you where working on that just went to ludicris speed! It'll be the nicest day ever one minute then zero vis the next.
This may sound odd, but some of us actually don't live within a reasonable distance to the playa. I'd love to camp out in the future BRC, but I do what I can. Besides, I really like the area.

There is constant wind because it's the ocean, but it's very unlikely to have white outs.

Jiā yóu!

hookahdude

Post by hookahdude » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:23 pm

Super Evil Brian wrote:
Bounce530 wrote:Thats a great idea SEB, but...you say there's constant wind. That doesn't afford you the experience of chilling out with say, your afternoon nibbles or, repairing something, taking something apart to change batteries, etc spread out on a table and then WHAMMO getting bitch slapped by a out of nowhere dust/wind storm, and having to collect your food or whatever and chase down what ever you where working on that just went to ludicris speed! It'll be the nicest day ever one minute then zero vis the next.
This may sound odd, but some of us actually don't live within a reasonable distance to the playa. I'd love to camp out in the future BRC, but I do what I can. Besides, I really like the area.

There is constant wind because it's the ocean, but it's very unlikely to have white outs.
Unless the seagulls swarm... then seagull feathers isn't the only white you should be worried about...
Hookah Dude
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:33 pm

hookahdude wrote:Got "comfy" pants today. Very light and very comfy. All is as it should be...
Comfy pants are da bomb, but lemme tell you a secret: skirts are even better! Bwahahahahaha, short skirts with pockets are the BEST. 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

hookahdude

Post by hookahdude » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:40 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
hookahdude wrote:Got "comfy" pants today. Very light and very comfy. All is as it should be...
Comfy pants are da bomb, but lemme tell you a secret: skirts are even better! Bwahahahahaha, short skirts with pockets are the BEST. 8)
Look up Thai fisherman pants on ebay... when you toss them on - the sky opens and angels sing... :p
Hookah Dude
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:46 pm

Super Evil Brian wrote:I plan to have a practice camp or two on the beach in Port Aransas, TX. It's a non-oiled coast area of the Gulf of Mexico.

I think the ground may be similar to the playa, or sorta close. The constant wind, hard ground and blowing sand and dust will be a good test. Hopefully I can go during a hurricane!

I've camped on the beach in Hawaii, it's nothing like the playa. Though there is that constant wind (more like a strong breeze). But unless you really enjoy camping there is no reason to do a practice camp. If you are building a Yurt or using a new tent, it definately would be a good idea to do a trial run setting it up; but other than that, not really necessary.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:49 pm

hookahdude wrote: Look up Thai fisherman pants on ebay... when you toss them on - the sky opens and angels sing... :p
:lol: Balancing freedom and protection, eh? Very sensible!

Sky opens and angels sing, eh? Must be a wonderful sight!
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:05 pm

hookahdude wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:
Look up Thai fisherman pants on ebay... when you toss them on - the sky opens and angels sing... :p
And god kills a kitten.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

hookahdude

Post by hookahdude » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:01 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
hookahdude wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote: Comfy pants are da bomb, but lemme tell you a secret: skirts are even better! Bwahahahahaha, short skirts with pockets are the BEST. 8)
And god kills a kitten.
Someone has to - it might as well be god...
I got hammered on a board (which I no longer boither using) because I mentioned something along the lines of everytime you do "X" Baby Jesus kills a kitten... I am sooo glad to see you use that I can't put it into words..
Hookah Dude
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:13 pm

hookahdude wrote: I got hammered on a board (which I no longer boither using) because I mentioned something along the lines of everytime you do "X" Baby Jesus kills a kitten... I am sooo glad to see you use that I can't put it into words..
Welcome Home.

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:57 pm

jkisha wrote:
Super Evil Brian wrote:I plan to have a practice camp or two on the beach in Port Aransas, TX. It's a non-oiled coast area of the Gulf of Mexico.

I've camped on the beach in Hawaii, it's nothing like the playa. Though there is that constant wind (more like a strong breeze). But unless you really enjoy camping there is no reason to do a practice camp. If you are building a Yurt or using a new tent, it definately would be a good idea to do a trial run setting it up; but other than that, not really necessary.
When I was a Boy Scout 100 years ago, I had the "Year Round Camper" thing for about 7 years in a row. I love the beach (it's what I miss the most about Connecticut) and camping is fun. Why not mix the two?

Fuck it, lets have a zillion people there.

Jiā yóu!

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:44 pm

hookahdude wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
hookahdude wrote: Look up Thai fisherman pants on ebay... when you toss them on - the sky opens and angels sing... :p
And god kills a kitten.
I got hammered on a board (which I no longer boither using) because I mentioned something along the lines of everytime you do "X" Baby Jesus kills a kitten... I am sooo glad to see you use that I can't put it into words..
That's why I like eplaya (and burning man for that matter) almost nothing is sacred.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:20 pm

Got my large flashing balls tonight. Be afraid, be very afraid :twisted:
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:51 am

geospyder wrote:Got my large flashing balls tonight. Be afraid, be very afraid :twisted:
Why, are they blue too?
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:40 am

Made few more non moop feathers (they are leather) for camp decor.

Pics show a quick test dye but I plan to make these more colorful.

Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:48 am

hookahdude wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
And god kills a kitten.
did it have a stand?

Jeebus? Baby Jeebus? is that you?.........who did it this time?

or, was a "Vlad" thing?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:19 am

Drawingablank wrote:Made few more non moop feathers (they are leather) for camp decor.

Pics show a quick test dye but I plan to make these more colorful.

Those are wonderful. I would love some to make hair pieces and such. Adding that to the ever-growing wishlist...

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”