How do I arrive and leave by Jungo Road on pedal power?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:42 am

stormlight wrote:The extreme nanny state attitude is really irritating to an experienced off road driver. There ought to be a special entrance for those of us who take Jungo since we are the enlightened few who regard such a route as a special, indeed spiritual, path to Burning Man. (unless you're coming from a different direction.) But I love Jungo! I think I'll cross over this year and see what happens. Then I will devise an escape route for sunday night. Now it's getting serious...The irony here is the constraints of freedom on a certain level at BM, but once I'm in I feel pretty free.
oh boy...
Wow...
Gee...
Um....

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

stormlight

Post by stormlight » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:23 pm

Hey Pagan-

Thank You for your wise consideration of my dilemma. Good points, but "we also know no one else would try it, knowing it exists". It could be a mysterious entrance so nobody knew about it, except the enlightened few, of course.

"One might imagine, in the light of a "spiritual route".......folks of said spirit, would not necessarily want the "easiest" route for the end, but, be willing to accept the penance of extra effort, and the satisfaction therein. Flagellation may well help with this." I think you are suggesting I view the line is sort of a zen purgatory, fair enough.

However, there must be a prohibition on flagellating while driving, especially in Nevada. I am accustomed to using the same hand for both activities. Regardless, with your permission, I will post your very eloquent advice on my dashboard as a reminder of of the dichotomy inherent in one's transcendence to Burning Man.

But, I'm left to wonder whether a bit of larceny isn't good for the soul and when sensibly executed may be a higher calling than strict conformity. An ageless conflict of man, perhaps especially Burners. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again, hope we can share a bowl of beans sometime.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:49 pm

stormlight wrote:Hey Pagan-

Thank You for your wise consideration of my dilemma. Good points, but "we also know no one else would try it, knowing it exists". It could be a mysterious entrance so nobody knew about it, except the enlightened few, of course.

true, it "could" be mysterious.....but, it's not. People are spotted several times per burn, trying that. There is virtually no direction or procedure, for cutting across, sneaking in, or saving time, that has not been tried. And, I am not accusing you of any of the above, not at all. Just sayin, if you try something like that, good chance, it'll not work.

Those intellectual and attractive perimeter folks, are like a pack of hell hound Rottweilers. And, their leaders, are pure rabid intensity.
Kind and intelligent folk, always willing to listen, but, screw with them, or try to fool them, and all that pent up sexual energy will be painted upon your personage, (not necessarily with a brush, roller or sponge), and perhaps, not in a loving way.

just sayin'........

Larceny, is an individual choice, and gamble, in that arena.

"One might imagine, in the light of a "spiritual route".......folks of said spirit, would not necessarily want the "easiest" route for the end, but, be willing to accept the penance of extra effort, and the satisfaction therein. Flagellation may well help with this." I think you are suggesting I view the line is sort of a zen purgatory, fair enough.

yeah, just sayin, the struggle, and hardship you willingly accept, it getting to said "spot", is a choice. And, to then, find the easiest/quickest way, to end this pilgrimage, of sorts, may be counter productive to the willing suffrage already experienced.

However, there must be a prohibition on flagellating while driving, especially in Nevada. I am accustomed to using the same hand for both activities. Regardless, with your permission, I will post your very eloquent advice on my dashboard as a reminder of of the dichotomy inherent in one's transcendence to Burning Man.

Flagellation can take many forms, grasshopper. and, all are not sexual. you, must decide your path to enlightenment. I'd have to imagine, "laws of the state" in that context, truthfully, are not part of your consideration.

But, I'm left to wonder whether a bit of larceny isn't good for the soul and when sensibly executed may be a higher calling than strict conformity. An ageless conflict of man, perhaps especially Burners. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again, hope we can share a bowl of beans sometime.
As with all endeavors, of spirit, enlightenment, or just "fucking off", it's usually the journey, which creates the outcome, and gives the best lesson.

I will hope to hear of your adventure, and, perhaps, be part of it.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

stormlight

Post by stormlight » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:07 pm

ok, ok, ok!!!! Let's still have a bowl of beans.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:05 pm

stormlight wrote:ok, ok, ok!!!! Let's still have a bowl of beans.
I would love that. Thank you.
and, I'll pour you a beverage, and we can palaver.

Just tryin' to help.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:45 pm

I wasnt saying you'll be able to cut through the trash fence, but you would certainly be able to peddle over to the entrance. That would save you the 20Plus miles I was speaking of from going all the way to Gerlach, than going up the west side of the playa. I use the east microwave entrance to enter and leave BM every year. This will be year 12 crossing the playa.

Worse case I am thinking is that you have to peddle to the south side where the entrance to BRC is. That would still save you 20 miles plus. Best case, BLM and perimeter have mercy on you, and with ticket in hand let you in on the north as they are people too. don't forget to look as disheveled, haggard, and burned out as you can - with ticket in hand mind you...

mdmf

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:21 pm

If you're on a bike, you can plead insanity.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:58 am

gyre wrote:If you're on a bike, you can plead insanity.
Unlike some people.

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

portaplaya

Post by portaplaya » Tue May 03, 2011 2:52 pm

The problem crossing from Jungo over to BRC is that the airport lies in the way.

Not only does the runway parallel the fence from the SE corner to about halfway to the easternmost point, but the parking area for the planes scatters across the area SE of the city.

This is bad for both people that want a "special exit" and for anyone coming in from Jungo and trying to get to the Gate Road.

I would actually recommend crossing the playa north of Trego and then peddling down the West Playa Road and following that to the Gate Road.

Further comments on "special exits". The BLM does not allow it because no one wants to send a tow truck down Jungo during the event. There's already enough traffic needing help on the highway.

And BRC LLC would have to station yet another flagging crew were Jungo meets the highway and there just aren't enough volunteers. Especially since Nevada limits flagging to four hour shifts. And Nevada doesn't want to pay for road upkeep so that a few hundred extra trucks can tear up that road.

I am of the belief that vehicles that head that way deserve their ticket from the BLM.

dubz
Burning Since: 2007

Post by dubz » Tue May 03, 2011 7:28 pm

10 MPH average? Have you done much, or any, bicycle touring?

On a loaded, upright touring bike, on pavement one averages about 12 MPH. This is on a high end touring bike, weighing in around 30 pounds, plus at least 40 pounds of racks, panniers and gear. So, 12 MPH on pavement with a ~75 pound rig.

Take off about 1 to 1.5 MPH for a trike.

Now move either setup onto dirt, and your average drops to around 8-9 MPH.

Again, these averages are coming from a very experienced bicycle tourist, who logs thousands of miles per year, in all different kinds of conditions, on both upright bikes and trikes.

No offense, but to think you can equal these averages, on something weighing hundreds of pounds, is a bit insane.

If you were a Category 1 racer, on an unloaded bike designed for fast dirt and gravel riding, you would be very hard pressed to do 100 miles in 12 hours in those conditions.

So, Im sorry to sound like a negative Nancy, but I just dont think this is possible to do in the time allotted, let alone in a few days.

I am a huge proponent of doing crazy things on bicycles. I am in the process of planning my own crazy tour in Central America this winter. I have offered a few people to bring in some of their water to the Burn for them. I believe this is beyond crazy though, moving into the realm of utter insanity....

Bob

Post by Bob » Tue May 03, 2011 7:51 pm

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue May 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Bob wrote:What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
European or African?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Tue May 03, 2011 10:10 pm

The suggestion to cross from Trego and go over to 447 then South is a good one. And yes the Nevada 4 hour flagging rule is accurate.

That being said the part about the State of Nevada not wanting to fund Jungo Road improvements got me to snickering...yet it's kinda sad too. Many people just don't get the complexities of transportation funding at the state level and the Federal level is a whole other universe.

Long story short Jungo Road could be improved fairly quickly. Funding mechanisms abound. There are several reasons why it hasn't been...and traffic counts are a tiny part of it. At the end of the day there's a small group of people who continue to have their way...and it's best left at that. Except to say that it sucks but it is what it is.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

portaplaya

Post by portaplaya » Wed May 04, 2011 8:59 am

Just to be clear, I said cross the open playa north of Trego, then go south on the West Playa Highway (barely marked N/S playa track along the western edge of the playa.)

I did not say cross to 447.

Major Krash
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Wed May 04, 2011 2:01 pm

portaplaya wrote:....further comments on "special exits". The BLM does not allow it because no one wants to send a tow truck down Jungo during the event. There's already enough traffic needing help on the highway.

And BRC LLC would have to station yet another flagging crew were Jungo meets the highway and there just aren't enough volunteers. Especially since Nevada limits flagging to four hour shifts. And Nevada doesn't want to pay for road upkeep so that a few hundred extra trucks can tear up that road.

I am of the belief that vehicles that head that way deserve their ticket from the BLM.
...where Jungo meets the highway is open, I go home that way most years....After the joy of Exodus. I understand why one cannot leave the city to Jungo directly anymore, although it is unfortunate that the 80%'rs have to ruin it for everyone else...

I agree with portaplaya - it would seem the best plan to avoid hassles (and more importantly minimize mileage) would be to cross the Playa well East of BRC and enter the regular Gate via the highway (avoiding Gerlach). This assumes, of course, that you have no concerns with crossing many miles of unmarked Playa...

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Fri May 06, 2011 11:51 am

100 miles in 12 hours on a fully laden 400 -500 lb "bike" made me spew coffee on my monitor.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri May 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:100 miles in 12 hours on a fully laden 400 -500 lb "bike" made me spew coffee on my monitor.
It's the centrifugal force making you nauseous.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:09 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:100 miles in 12 hours on a fully laden 400 -500 lb "bike" made me spew coffee on my monitor.
Teo's right. 100 miles on a road bike no problem. your monstrosity would kill Lance Armstrong in a day.

Major Krash
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Sat May 07, 2011 6:09 am

...sure, but all travel plans to BRC seem to take 2-3x what is planned...as long as he has water and a back-up plan it should be an epic adventure...

Zhust
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Post by Zhust » Tue May 10, 2011 8:17 pm

portaplaya wrote:Just to be clear, I said cross the open playa north of Trego, then go south on the West Playa Highway (barely marked N/S playa track along the western edge of the playa.)
I think I can see that entrance on Google Maps, but do you know of a better source? I'm probably going to buy some USGS maps from Winnemucca to BRC regardless, and I assume that will show more.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

Zhust

Post by Zhust » Tue May 10, 2011 8:21 pm

Meh ... 12 hours ... 25 hours. Whatever.

I haven't thought too much about the logistics of the trip yet, but I'm leaning toward leaving Winnemucca with plenty of time to get to Sulphur before dark (60 miles, so probably shoot to leave 10 a.m.) If I feel like pushing on I will, but if not, I'll just camp out for a while and get to Burning Man sometime Monday.
---Zhust, Curiosityist

teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Tue May 10, 2011 8:47 pm

I have done some crazy shit in my life. I have a gauge in my head that tells me when I'm about to do something crazy, and rate it. I have no idea what kind of crazy shit you've done. From this post it's hard to tell whether you are comfortable with crazy shit, or whether this is some new crazy shit. My crazy shit meter went off on this. But only you know whether this machine will do what you want. Hard to tell from here. I really want to see you in BRC and get the story. While it's fresh. Via con dios, my friend...

This is great. I love it.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:10 am

You know there is nothing at Sulphur but some old buildings. its not much of a stopping over point. Regardless heres some pics to help to find the turn:

First one is from Google Earth - North Up.

This one is from the street view of Jungo Road. The view is facing Gerlach and 447. To the right is the microwave crossing road. Facing SouthWest

Bob

Post by Bob » Wed May 11, 2011 8:06 am

Is there a Google map showing where entitled hippies crossing the playa may cut into the Gate line?

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed May 11, 2011 8:16 am

Bob wrote:Is there a Google map showing where entitled hippies crossing the playa may cut into the Gate line?
I see an opportunity for a couch to engage in some "performance art".
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

The Hustler
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by The Hustler » Wed May 11, 2011 10:29 am

mdmf007 wrote:
Teo's right. 100 miles on a road bike no problem. your monstrosity would kill Lance Armstrong in a day.
Armstrong, Mario Cippolini (with his pink "guts" skinsuit of course) and Marco Pentani with all the cocaine his heart can take (which wasn't unlimited, oddly enough) all pedaling at the same time would have some problems with that. But, it would be a crazy-looking adventure with them.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

Zhust

Post by Zhust » Thu May 12, 2011 2:14 pm

mdmf007 wrote:First one is from Google Earth - North Up.
If I got the coordinates right, I found it on Google Maps at 40° 46' 02.07" N, 119° 07' 12.26"W.

Thanks! I'll look for that turn. When I get to open Playa, I take it I cross as straight as I can west-northwest then parallel the mountains until I get to the main entrance at CR 34?
---Zhust, Curiosityist

Zhust

Post by Zhust » Thu May 12, 2011 2:20 pm

For what it's worth, my original plan was to head to the quasi-marked roads here because I figured there'd be a rail crossing. The satellite photos show one by the microwave road crossing too, though.
---Zhust, Curiosityist

Zhust

Post by Zhust » Sat May 14, 2011 5:32 am

Oh yeah, one last thing:
mdmf007 wrote:You know there is nothing at Sulphur but some old buildings. its not much of a stopping over point.
My goal is more to ride the "heavily" trafficked area of Jungo from Winnemucca to Sulphur during the day for visibility sake. I would be shocked if Sulphur had any more than a Coke machine at the mine, as far as provisions were concerned.
---Zhust, Curiosityist

Tazz
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Tazz » Mon May 16, 2011 3:49 am

When I first started following this thread several weeks ago, I thought naw, he will not make this happen. However, I am becoming a believer. I can easily pack an extra 4 gallons of water in my vehicle and have it for you to use when you get in BRC. When you come to get it, I will serve spiked lemonade and ice bars while you describe your journey!

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”