One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
TinkerMom
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity @ 404 Not Found

Post by TinkerMom » Sat May 14, 2011 8:52 pm

Ygmir: I heated the edge to melt it down and then put duct tape on it.
I also built a cool rebar pounder out of some steel pipe. But I don't
know how to post pictures. :(
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat May 14, 2011 9:06 pm

very cool TM..........I wasn't trying to dis you or anything...just seems, better to say it, and have you say "done" than "crap, I wish I had known that".

to post pics, they have to be hosted somewhere, like Photobucket or Flikr, or whatever.
Then, you put the address inside the "img" things (above)
so:
"img" button, URL, "img" button.
Make sure they are in this order:
[img]URL[/img]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Sat May 14, 2011 9:46 pm

Ooh, scored two Papasan chairs at the Crockett Annual Yard Sale day today! SuhWEET! Super cheap. I've been DYING to have one or two of these for Burning Man and my backyard. :D

TinkerMom

Post by TinkerMom » Sat May 14, 2011 9:47 pm

No dissing thoughts here. And I thank you!
I will play around with the photos.

TinkerMom

Post by TinkerMom » Sat May 14, 2011 10:02 pm

no luck

TinkerMom

Post by TinkerMom » Sat May 14, 2011 10:06 pm

My rebar pounder, I built for six bucks.

[img][img]http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g40 ... /rebar.jpg[/img][/img]

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Sun May 15, 2011 12:16 am

Got a new set of desert boots! Yay!

Yes kids, Mamma is coming home this year after all!

(Doin' a happy dance on the inside, as not to upset my kids)
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Sun May 15, 2011 6:43 am

TinkerMom wrote:My rebar pounder, I built for six bucks.
That's an interesting way to build a pounder without welding, but I would definitely test it before dragging it to the Playa. It seems to me that all the internal pipe edges and stuff could snag the rebar on the downstroke, and that could actually be dangerous to whoever is doing the pounding.

Unless you could find a way to sleeve it with conduit or some other smooth thin wall stuff.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun May 15, 2011 6:47 am

I ordered a brandy new Honda eu2000 genny!! found a super deal, no tax, no shipping.

yeehaw, A/C in the camper this year!!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun May 15, 2011 8:02 am

ygmir wrote:I ordered a brandy new Honda eu2000 genny!! found a super deal, no tax, no shipping.

You will LOVE having AC. Trust me on that!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Sun May 15, 2011 8:07 am

ygmir wrote:I ordered a brandy new Honda eu2000 genny!! found a super deal, no tax, no shipping.

Could you share with the group here or on http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=39741 where you scored it?!? I'd love to be able to purchase a QUIETER but not expensive genny. :) <3

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun May 15, 2011 8:17 am

done
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Sun May 15, 2011 8:31 am

I love you! :)

katy potaty

Post by katy potaty » Sun May 15, 2011 9:32 am

Yesterday I scored two fabulous plastic coconut shaped cups with straws included plus two plastic flamingo wine glasses. Yes, I have my priorities straight!

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun May 15, 2011 10:21 am

Yesterday.... took care of a lot of little things. Got a pink rabbit cup with straw in lid for 10 cents. findings for p-38 earrings, and necklaces, silicone food safe glue. I found that DORCY makes a led replacement bulb for a regular flashlight (2cell) under 4 dollars, vs. the niteize replacement that runs around $14. I have a couple old battery draining torches that I'm converting to led now. And since I shopped for bras (I hate that) I promised myself another treat. Vargo titanium decagon alcohol stove. Pepsi can stove on steroids and this baby will last I think. 1.2 ounces. Do I backpack? no not really. Do I love camping gear? oh yes I do. I tried it last night, and got a couple of cups of water to boil. Now I'm going to see it it will make one pot of bialleti espresso. deep playa coffee, we'll see.
pot sits on top.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

TinkerMom

Post by TinkerMom » Sun May 15, 2011 10:30 am

Drawingablank wrote:
TinkerMom wrote:My rebar pounder, I built for six bucks.
That's an interesting way to build a pounder without welding, but I would definitely test it before dragging it to the Playa. It seems to me that all the internal pipe edges and stuff could snag the rebar on the downstroke, and that could actually be dangerous to whoever is doing the pounding.

Unless you could find a way to sleeve it with conduit or some other smooth thin wall stuff.
I turned it around and used the T as the top, both ways worked well. My boys tested it and came out unscathed.
Made it lighter by only using three pieces.

[img][img]http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g40 ... rebar2.jpg[/img][/img]

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Sun May 15, 2011 11:26 am

TinkerMom, do you use a hammer to bang on the top of that device, or are the side pieces like handles, and the whole thing is like a ram? I am going to make a hammer helper/guide with just the top two pieces of your original photo.

RE: new vargo stove. Just made a sweeeeeet pot of coffee! It holds enough fuel to make the coffee. This could be the only thing I look for in ANY stove. I fashioned a little alum. foil skirt around the middle of the coffee pot to keep the handle from burning. It's so quiet, one reason I like an alcohol stove as an option. Yay!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun May 15, 2011 11:42 am

I picked up two of the "Svea" stoves the other day at a yard sale.......seem complete as far as the stove part goes.

Are they like what you're talking about?

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

TinkerMom

Post by TinkerMom » Sun May 15, 2011 12:07 pm

[quote="Elorrum"]TinkerMom, do you use a hammer to bang on the top of that device, or are the side pieces like handles, and the whole thing is like a ram? I am going to make a hammer helper/guide with just the top two pieces of your original photo.

The side pieces are like handles, and then just ram it down. My arthitis won't let me hammer. So I can use this, and my boys can hammer. Haha,
let them do more labor.

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Sun May 15, 2011 12:29 pm

The svea is really a nice stove. It uses white gas though, and has many moving parts compared to the alcohol stoves like the trangia, and this vargo, or even pepsi can (zero moving parts) You might use alcohol to prime your svea stove though, there's a little pan to fill. once it gets warm, it will pressurize and start vaporizing fuel to the burner. The alcohol stoves do something similar in that once warmed up or primed, the vaporized fuel starts coming out the little holes. No way to adjust the flame though. My new vargo burns for about 8 minutes, and then it's done. I have to let it cool and then I can add fuel and go again.
Image the green line shows the cross sectional view of the three parts: bottom, top, and a strip held between the two that makes an inner wall. There are few holes in the bottom of that inner wall. The fuel heats, and vaporizes up inside that wall, and out the holes, like burner jets.

The dad of one of my best friends left me his old white gas stove. This guy was an engineer and an avid camper/backpacker... he spent hours explaining gear to me, hanging out in the garage when I was like, 8 or 9.

graidawg
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Sun May 15, 2011 1:07 pm

Elorrum wrote:The svea is really a nice stove. It uses white gas though, and has many moving parts compared to the alcohol stoves like the trangia, and this vargo, or even pepsi can (zero moving parts) You might use alcohol to prime your svea stove though, there's a little pan to fill. once it gets warm, it will pressurize and start vaporizing fuel to the burner. The alcohol stoves do something similar in that once warmed up or primed, the vaporized fuel starts coming out the little holes. No way to adjust the flame though. My new vargo burns for about 8 minutes, and then it's done. I have to let it cool and then I can add fuel and go again.
Image the green line shows the cross sectional view of the three parts: bottom, top, and a strip held between the two that makes an inner wall. There are few holes in the bottom of that inner wall. The fuel heats, and vaporizes up inside that wall, and out the holes, like burner jets.

The dad of one of my best friends left me his old white gas stove. This guy was an engineer and an avid camper/backpacker... he spent hours explaining gear to me, hanging out in the garage when I was like, 8 or 9.
ther's one of those in my dads garage! i could never make it work though now i know thsnk you (it needs the right fuel obvoiously)
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Sun May 15, 2011 2:24 pm

got some "reusable/rechargable" glow sticks that CFM had posted on her fantabulous blog

used them this weekend while camping and some colors work better than others but overall a very neat concept.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Mon May 16, 2011 6:08 am

lazerfox wrote:got some "reusable/rechargable" glow sticks that CFM had posted on her fantabulous blog

used them this weekend while camping and some colors work better than others but overall a very neat concept.
Awesome! Feel free to send any pics or a write-up, I'll have you as a guest writer!

I drank too much last night at Game of Thrones, that's getting ready for BM, right? :twisted:

Started assembling music for Raiders Night, decided to try and make some Korean moonshine to go with the Korean pickles I'm bringing. Sewed some more on Mr/s. Retrofrolic's ensembles. Going on a 4-day burner spree in Asheville this weekend and can't WAIT. Hope to maybe get a ride worked out.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon May 16, 2011 8:30 am

/

Found a (spendy) 10X10 pop up "top".. Silvered on the inside.. Going to attach it to a van top carrier and my ouw frame.. Hate having to duck coming and going.. Also will vent it so the wind can escape..

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon May 16, 2011 10:09 am

Nexcare 1" waterproof tape for the first aid kit.

Maybelline waterproof liquid liner for the makeup kit.

I love kits.

jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Mon May 16, 2011 10:13 am

Gotta download the camera still but had a lovely weekend at Joshua Tree Music Festival with Figment and got to ride a life sized rocking horse ,,,very burny moment :). Lots of "deal with the wind" monents too lol ...good practice !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Mon May 16, 2011 11:40 am

Ordered our goggles, finalized the camp tee shirt design, started on coat lining and other costume work, planted veggie garden, and as usual - lots of practice drinking PBR.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Clar-i-ty

Post by Clar-i-ty » Tue May 17, 2011 10:52 am

Just woke up from my first Playa dream of the season. It's always an adjustment when I wake up and realize I'm not really there. But clearly it is cemented in my mind: I am going! (happy sigh)

Oh, also created this little gem to get into the Playa spirit: http://bit.ly/ltPwRm

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:54 am

Yay for Clar-i-ty. Hadn't you posted sometime earlier that you weren't coming? So glad things worked out for ya

Clar-i-ty

Post by Clar-i-ty » Tue May 17, 2011 10:58 am

lucky420 wrote:Yay for Clar-i-ty. Hadn't you posted sometime earlier that you weren't coming? So glad things worked out for ya
Yeah, but denial seems to have worked for me. :)

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”