People who want to work, but cant..

All things outside of Burning Man.
TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:27 am

burner von braun wrote:Regarding computer art, well there is nothing I like more than drawing with a pencil (or good pen), but to be employed in many art fields, you have to go to the dark side. I use computers to create 'artwork' every day. I gotta tell ya, some of that software is kickass, and fun, and some of it can challenge you beyond your limit. Photoshop especially is fun to use and well behaved. It is ubiquitous. I endeavour to create my own art at home using whatever media I choose, and use computers for commercial work. With your press and screenprint background, and having seen some things you've posted around here, well you have skills, but computers are part of it. Limited openings in today's market, but it is a possibility.

Believe me, I understand the desire to work with your hands, I'm just throwing it out there, for what it's worth.

/
I don't do art for money, and would never care to. Arts more personal, and money cheapens it. I've done some stuff on the comp, but it was to make me laugh. I'm more interested in the skills I have that can HELP someone. Believe it or not, I like hard labor.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:42 am

Ygmir, when I met you at my bar....I was at the bar 24/7 sometimes working, sometimes passed out behind it. I'm dedicated! Just don't feed the bartender. Id like to see more of BM, which is why I'm only tending in the morning.

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:24 am

Tom, it appears that you aren't ready to relocate. Relocation may become a necessity.
I don't post economic news in the 'Winter" thread to aggravate you. I started the thread as a warning. I have no control over events. The news is getting worse and I suggest that you don't read my posts. I suggest that you seek work that is tied to resource extraction or agriculture. Dan
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:57 am

Resource extraction? Just this morning I read a story in one of the Vegas papers about how people are prospecting for gold on BLM lands in Nevada...unless you have the deep pockets of a company like Newmont it's a rough road to go. Yes there is gold in them there hills...but it will bankrupt ya to find it. Gotta be careful talking mining less I incur DB Cooper's rants saying I know nothing about it...I made a donation to the Comstock opposition group to make penance for my ignorance...

The relocation thing...I didn't want to go. I talked a good game about moving to Cali from Missouri for years, but kept stalling because of family, other things, yadda yadda. But a fight with my family that got rough was the spark I needed to light the powder keg and just walk away from it. I already lost my house and pretty much everything else so before they came to repo the truck I used it to get the rest of my stuff out of town. Best move I ever made was relocating. Yeah at times I really miss Missouri...the Mojave desert even with Lake Mead 15 min away isn't the same as having access to the Ozarks. On and on it goes but now I make 2x as much as I ever could have in Missouri with the serious potential to go 5x what I made in Missouri and I'm not talking about playing slots or table games to get there either. For me it was either relocate or basically give up...and the latter was not an option considering all the hell I had already endured. In any case everyone's different but in the end I just hope you find a way though this. Again if there's anything we can help with...consider it a standing offer, just ask.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:29 am

I relocated to Benicia, after BM 2006. Mainly, because USXpress didn't care for the playa dust in and on their tractor. Luckily, a per hour trucking job landed in my lap. I really wanted to relocate to NowHere, when that ranch manager position came up 10 or so years ago. However, my diplomatic skills are not up to snuff, and Burning Man was wise, to go with a different candidate. The rent in Benicia, is relatively cheaper than the rest of the Bay area, which is why I've stayed. But relocation looks like it's on the horizon. Keeping my fingers crossed for a sweet Dishwasher position, near Tiburon.

Snow

Post by Snow » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:59 am

Thanks for donating to something that opposes creation of a possible job for me, much appreciated KineticV? Dare I ask why?
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:06 am

I was ready and willing to press buttons for the Ein Hammer crew....never heard back. And, it was a free service.

Snow

Post by Snow » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:12 am

Push buttons? on the playa? there weren't really any buttons to push, unless you were Rotwang.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:13 am

Hang in there, Tom.

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:19 am

Snow wrote:Push buttons? on the playa? there weren't really any buttons to push, unless you were Rotwang.
This is a button

and this makes em

Snow

Post by Snow » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:25 am

Oh I gotcha! Thats a nice one, did you do that? I would have loved an Ein Hammer button! I have no idea whom you may have contacted, seems they should have at least responded. My apologies for them.

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:36 am

I do 250 buttons for free, for a Burner. After that, you owe me beer.

Snow

Post by Snow » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:49 am

Well that's an awesome deal! (and yes I like your butt.....ons)

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:51 am

I was waiting for Ein Hammers art grant to be approved, and never heard back. No worries!

Snow

Post by Snow » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:58 am

This year I'm working on the Trojan Horse, perhaps try them. I know we need actors and such on the playa. The construction crew is going to be on Treasure Island and Reno (where I'm a archer and senior builder, haha I even got a fancy title)

We ended up with stickers for Ein Hammer, not sure who made that choice, I like buttons better, as they are movable.

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Snow

Post by Snow » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:44 pm

Yikes sorry to hear about your incident. Still got your lovely anklet? Now I know where to turn when I need buttons. Do the materials cost much?

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:09 pm

I asked to keep it, but apparently, thay are expensive. Had to be careful when I smoked on my porch.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:29 pm

Don't give up the search TS.

Sounds like you have your health, that's a huuuge bonus. Protect it dearly, injuries can plague a person for life. I too 'liked' hard labor, and all it got me was a broken body. I suggest you be sure to cross-train TS. Injury (and age of course) can creep up or quickly slam any one of us.

BTW, nice button making equipment (please don't ever sell it!)
"BRC revo-soul-ution" haha...buttons are cool.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:33 pm

The only journeyman levels I've ever reached, were as a press operator and maybe truck driver? Neither were Union. All the heavy equipment experience, was cause I liked operating big things. The afore mentioned bulldozer, was a D9N. I just want to pay rent, eat and buy beer...and of course BM. Kilts, however, will cost you! It is a messed up market. My whole family is blue collar, and it seems were being getting swept under the rug. And, I'm confused...
I know we don't get along all that well but have to admit I give you four gold stars out of my pocket because of the subtlety of your message - as I understand it.

What I hear from you is that there is honor in all work. Your willingness to walk the walk shines through and I hope you get that which you seek.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:32 pm

Isotopia wrote:
The only journeyman levels I've ever reached, were as a press operator and maybe truck driver? Neither were Union. All the heavy equipment experience, was cause I liked operating big things. The afore mentioned bulldozer, was a D9N. I just want to pay rent, eat and buy beer...and of course BM. Kilts, however, will cost you! It is a messed up market. My whole family is blue collar, and it seems were being getting swept under the rug. And, I'm confused...
I know we don't get along all that well but have to admit I give you four gold stars out of my pocket because of the subtlety of your message - as I understand it.

What I hear from you is that there is honor in all work. Your willingness to walk the walk shines through and I hope you get that which you seek.
*faints*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:51 pm

TomServo wrote:
Kinetic V wrote:Tom, after reading that I would hire you in a split second...you got some skills I wish I had. Hmmm...thinking it over did you ever think of doing a side business in the past that used those skills you listed? If you had a name for it....you could list it as a side job or two or more somehow on your resume. The side projects I started doing turned into a Wyoming based LLC that in turn helped springboard me into so many other things...maybe you could do the same.
My only side job is pressing buttons for burners, for free. I don't feel its right to charge burners, and it keeps me busy....which is almost as important as being employed. I like keeping busy.
I don't think there would be anything wrong with charging. You're providing a product/service that those who need it would be paying a non burner anyway. Better to keep the money in the community. and it sounds like you could use the money, so it would be a win win.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

can't sit still

Re: People who want to work, but cant..

Post by can't sit still » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:29 pm

This isn't surprising news.
"E CEO Jeffrey Immelt, The Head Of Obama’s Jobs Council, Is Moving Jobs And Economic Infrastructure To China At A Blistering Pace"
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/arch ... ering-pace
America was the heart of manufacturing. The heart is being ripped out piece by piece.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:48 pm

The Daily Reckoning has some comments on the job market;
Counting the Zeros in the US Economy
Bill Bonner
"Poor Mr. Obama. They’re calling him “President Zero.” Why? Because August produced zero new jobs.

But we Daily Reckoners were way ahead of the story. Almost everywhere we look we see a circle with a hole in it.

How many new jobs have been created in the last 10 years? Zero.

There were about 130 million jobs in America in the year 2000. There are about 130 million today.

How much more does the average wage-earner make? Zero. Adjusted for inflation, he made about $16 an hour in 2001. He still makes about $16 an hour.

How much more are stocks worth? Zero.

How much more does a house sell for? Zero.

By all the important measures, Americans are Zero better off than they were a decade ago.

But wait. They’re much worse off. They have much more debt. Here are some numbers that aren’t zero. In round numbers, total debt to GDP increased from around 200% to over 350%. Federal debt alone went from 57% of GDP to nearly 100% today. "

There is a lot more to the sad story. America needs to create 1.5 million jobs a year to keep up with population growth.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... rica/7919/

This file has a ton of graphs on the job market. Page 8 has a graph of what it would take to reach a certain level of employment for a certain portion of the population.
http://www.johnmauldin.com/images/uploa ... 090311.pdf
It would take the creation of 385,000 jobs a month to reach 6% unemployment for 65% of the labor force.
There isn't any possibility of this happening. Japan proves this very clearly. No amount of stimulus will bring permanent jobs.
It is projected that robotics will allow even more outsourcing;
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/martin-fo ... 96640.html
A.I. and cheap robots will only make it worse. These are obvious trends. Dunno what would change them.

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:00 pm

There seems to be no end to trade agreements that GOV signs up to.
"Starting on Tuesday, the next round of negotiations on the Trans-Pacific Partnership (also known as the "NAFTA of the Pacific") will begin in Chicago"
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/arch ... d-overseas
So, we drop all trade barriers with dozens of low-wage countries. This gets rid of even more protective tariffs.
"In Vietnam, one dollar an hour is considered to be a very good wage."
These fuckers are in a headlong race to the bottom. They haven't given any thought to what it will be like when we arrive.

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:45 am

This site has lob loss info. http://www.dailyjobcuts.com/

Return to “Open Discussion”