Free Playa Food 101

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Will dance for BBQ?

Yes.
27
68%
Where are the ribs?
13
33%
 
Total votes: 40

User avatar
StickyChron
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Postby StickyChron » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:04 pm

C.f.M. wrote:If you did the tamari and made the sketti gluten-free, you could be a very popular man, indeed.

Just not with ME because I am NINETY YEARS OLD and I hate all you kids and your new-fangled locked pops n jerking.


Word. I say leave the pops unlocked for good, and keep the jerking to the caribbeans. If you want to dance, have a little grace.

MAYBE if I'm sober enough, I'll find my way over to the meet n greet with some EXTRA gluten (Joking, I know of good gluten free pasta I could get) basketti for everyone to sample.

Isn't is more fun when we all get along? :P

User avatar
some seeing eye
Posts: 2218
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo
Location: The Oregon

Postby some seeing eye » Sun May 01, 2011 7:23 pm

Weird thread. I carry in my on playa knapsack a plate, mug, giant sierra cup bowl, knife, fork, spoon & chopsticks in 2g ziplok bag. Also alcohol laden moist towelettes for cleaning said items after use and a bag for the used towelettes, which are burnable. And special gifts for the food genies!

Food is abundant on the playa and appetites slack, but truly valuable gifts are much rarer.

User avatar
knowmad
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:33 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB
Location: Puget Sound

Postby knowmad » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:45 pm

We've got this Idea we've been kicking around and I thought I'd see what others think. for all I know this has been done before.

We have a 20 cu foot Coffin Frezzer. It runs on surprisingly little power and is well insulated, it would stay at camp.

Bringing Microwave Burritos to the playa. It would basically be a self serve Idea, with one camp member in attendance to ensure wrappers don't end up moop, and to clean the microwave from time to time. our microwave is a 600 watt, and would be run from an Dc/Ac inverter, and a group of 4 6volt deep cycle cells. burritos would be loaded into a large iced Cooler(holds 400 burritos at a go), and all fits in the back of a Tricycle, We would go out on missions and take it with us. to deep playa, and sound camps at night, ect...

The question is doe's this have to pass Food heath inspection?
The self serve thing would be comparable to the kichenet in Dorms, or office spaces and they are not health code inspected. will this fly?
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 13971
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:51 pm

The food permit is only $50.00. They send you a whole lot of useful information about food prep and storage. The inspect your freezer temperature and sanitation practices. I think getting the permit is a good idea.

But what concerns me is the Microwave...even a 600 watt one takes a lot of juice to run. I'd advise you actually test it before you go to see how long it will actually operate. You'll be turning it on and off frequently, and the startup power draw is what might suck the life out of those batteries more quickly than you might be anticipating.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

User avatar
knowmad
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:33 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB
Location: Puget Sound

Postby knowmad » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:17 am

jkisha wrote:The food permit is only $50.00. They send you a whole lot of useful information about food prep and storage. The inspect your freezer temperature and sanitation practices. I think getting the permit is a good idea.

But what concerns me is the Microwave...even a 600 watt one takes a lot of juice to run. I'd advise you actually test it before you go to see how long it will actually operate. You'll be turning it on and off frequently, and the startup power draw is what might suck the life out of those batteries more quickly than you might be anticipating.


Rodger the Food handlers permit.

I Run this Microwave on this configuration all the time on the Bus. The purpose of using 2 X (2 X 6volt) is the charge turn around time. A day on the Solar Trickle, and a few hours mootching from the genni, Should give us full charge each night or every 15 hrs. also the Inverted we are using isn't really one of the cheepies it is a 1500w with a built in electrical instant load damper.

It preforms ok, but 300 X 2.25min = 675 min = 11.25 hrs <--ouch plus the start ups, even with the damping. no dice.

looks like we'll need to scale the volume down a bit.

100 burritos a go comes out to:
100 X 2.25min = 225 min = 3.75 hrs. <-- now that looks more reasonable

And I could prolly will get a performance boost if I Run my ventilation tubes across/through the bottom of the Ice Cooler. and then into the electronic space( <--insulated, vented out)

Thanks JK made me re-think.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri

User avatar
Dr Jet Sinister
Posts: 608
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:43 pm
Burning Since: 1986
Location: ..

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:01 pm

knowmad wrote:We've got this Idea we've been kicking around and I thought I'd see what others think. for all I know this has been done before.

We have a 20 cu foot Coffin Frezzer. It runs on surprisingly little power and is well insulated, it would stay at camp.

Bringing Microwave Burritos to the playa. It would basically be a self serve Idea, with one camp member in attendance to ensure wrappers don't end up moop, and to clean the microwave from time to time. our microwave is a 600 watt, and would be run from an Dc/Ac inverter, and a group of 4 6volt deep cycle cells. burritos would be loaded into a large iced Cooler(holds 400 burritos at a go), and all fits in the back of a Tricycle, We would go out on missions and take it with us. to deep playa, and sound camps at night, ect...

The question is doe's this have to pass Food heath inspection?
The self serve thing would be comparable to the kichenet in Dorms, or office spaces and they are not health code inspected. will this fly?


I LOVE this idea!

You will, most likely, still need a health permit but the inspections are random. We never saw anyone come by to inspect our sno-cone setup. Seems sad that you have to have a permit for a pre-packaged item even if you let them cook it for themselves.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40300
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:35 pm

I wonder if it's worth insulating a microwave with firebrick...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
knowmad
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:33 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB
Location: Puget Sound

Postby knowmad » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:18 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I wonder if it's worth insulating a microwave with firebrick...


What you smoking Fishy? wha???
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri

User avatar
Kontradiction
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Los Angeles Area

Re:

Postby Kontradiction » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:41 pm

phil wrote:
Fufa wrote:> just be the kind hearted sociable guy he was


On another note, one of those panhandling drifters camped down the street from us. He was caught by two different people in our camp going through their coolers for food. Very nice guy, offered "to make it right," etc.



Bless you for being more forgiving than most. I'll practice practical, personal, pre-absolvement by storing all "If it's taken I'll really miss it and meals won't quite be the same" dry goods in lockable footlockers and that goes for the top shelf booze too; other stuff like the Top Ramen will be left out if someone needs food desperately and I'm not around to ask.

I won't give a durn if some thirsty sap rolls in begging for a cold canned beer or some water...because I know I'll be that durn thirsty sap too sometime during the Week and turnabout fair play, pay it forward. : )
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-

User avatar
Kontradiction
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Los Angeles Area

Re:

Postby Kontradiction » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:43 pm

ygmir wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:
CapSmashy wrote:Okay. Come by the camp.

1. If we like your performance, we will feed you.
2. If we do not like your performance, we get to gut you like a fish and hang you on the camp wall.

Deal?



Will "like" be decided by vote? Otherwise I say let's not waste our time watching some stoner hop around and just get to the gutting.


+1


+2, Best Reply Ever. :P
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-


Return to “Food & Drink”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests