Coming to you yet again for advice!

All things outside of Burning Man.
delle

Coming to you yet again for advice!

Post by delle » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:17 pm

Yep, I'm back with another question, which of course (because it's ME and that's what I DO) will necessitate a wee (read mindnumbingly long) story with pictures:

About two days before I found out I was going to Burning Man, I got a call from a friend of mine for whom I’d made a couple of lawn ornaments about a dozen years prior.

Apparently I was PARICULARLY well seated with the universe that week, because I’d just been sitting there, thinking it would be cool to have something artistic to work on to boost my morale when he called out of the blue saying that the originals had pretty much rotted and he was wondering if I’d be interested in donating my time to making some more. (I gave him a resounding, blown away YES)

This guy is awesome.

His property abuts the regional bicycle path here, and at the time I’d made them, he just wanted them as a way of getting people to notice an area he’d set up as a chill zone for cyclists – two soldiers to herald folk in.

He had had a general idea what he wanted. Mentioned it to me, and I (naively, never having done anything like it before and having no experience with painting whatsoever) had said I thought I could come up with a plan to make it happen. I ended up just painting a couple of 4' logs.

Simple, yes. But surprisingly popular!!!!

Anywhoo he called me today to say he’s poured two concrete posts of the same dimensions as the originals which he’s already primed white for me.

And so….. I figured I’d make a pattern of the one survivor in order to aid in the transfer of the guys – since this time I can’t just line them up side-by-side on my diningroom table (given they’re already firmly planted where they’ll live).

Finally, here’s my question: I have the pattern all transferred to a thick clear plastic sheet. I now need your advice on how best to get this information onto the posts.

My thoughts so far have been:

1. Try using a sewing-transfer wheel over the main lines, which would hopefully poke little holes into the thick white paint already on the posts to give me just the basic outline; or, in the interest of not totally destroying the pattern in two passes

2. Same principle as above, but use an awl to poke the main reference points out; or

3. Use some completely different idea, which escapes me as yet (and am hence kinda fishing for here……)

Any ideas????

Pics of them in (barely) better days
Image Image
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Coming to you yet again for advice!

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:25 pm

No clue really, except that carbon paper popped into mind to be used with the sewing transfer wheel. Thought this because I didn't think the wheel would leave marks in painted concrete, but the carbon paper probably would. (do they even make carbon paper anymore?)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

delle

Post by delle » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:36 pm

I'd thought of carbon paper - and actually have a box of it. But it wouldn't be ideal for 2 reasons:

1. I'd need to tape together an enormous sheet-worth of them (being 8.5"x11); and
2. They're messy, and would sully the pristine white already painted on.

Given they're already painted with a rather THICK and seemingly rubbery surface, I thought that it would be possible to poke an image in there.

(really hoping he did his homework on the paints.... he's applied an oilbased basecoat and supplied coloured tremclad for the rest. I don't know what adheres best to cement, so don't really know if he did the right thing.)

Shel Silverstein

delle

Post by delle » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:38 pm

...tho now I'm thinking that a sewing store would have much larger sheets of transferpaper for dressmaking.... and those are NOT messy. Having been conceived for use with the wheel anyhow.... hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Shel Silverstein

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:44 pm

Not sure I understand, but here goes.

If you have the patern already pre punched, set the patern against the pole and daub it with line chaulk.

This will put the patern of holes on the pole to guide the painting. :)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

delle

Post by delle » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:47 pm

Oooooh. Ooooh. Yes!!!

What your saying is go over the whole pattern with the wheel prior to positionning it then daub over the lines with the chalk?

Brilliant!

FYG!!!

Shel Silverstein

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:51 pm

Yes!

We used to have couch patterns for the upolstery with all these holes.

Lay the pattern on a stack of fabric, then powder the pattern, and cut out 25 couches. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

delle

Post by delle » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Very cool! Thank you!!!!

I am unfortunately blessed and cursed with never having much more than 80% of any given idea, and find that I need to bounce my thoughts off folks to get the rest....

Cursed because I'm pretty useless left only to my own devices, but Blessed because I do so love to see where people go with stuff....

Shel Silverstein

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:40 pm

delle wrote:Very cool! Thank you!!!!

I am unfortunately blessed and cursed with never having much more than 80% of any given idea, and find that I need to bounce my thoughts off folks to get the rest....

Cursed because I'm pretty useless left only to my own devices, but Blessed because I do so love to see where people go with stuff....
Ah, high on the "perceiving" scale, huh?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:41 am

sign painters use a daubing charcoal in a little cloth bag; it leaves a faint dot pattern that doesn't mess the paint up when you brush it on.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:25 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Not sure I understand, but here goes.

If you have the patern already pre punched, set the patern against the pole and daub it with line chaulk.

This will put the patern of holes on the pole to guide the painting. :)
Back when I used to make lots of lawn ornaments this was my preferred way to transfer stuff. A sharp pounce wheel traced the pattern then blue chalk line chalk in a pad or sock tapped over it. There is a Youtube video of a similar process at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYskYm8JrzE
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

accordionMan

Post by accordionMan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:52 pm

I know that I'm coming in late on this but what I've done in the past is draw the image actual size on sturdy paper.

Flip the paper over and tape it to a large window or glass double doors and trace your art on that reverse side with a thick piece of artists charcoal.

Then tape the art, charcoal side down, onto the post and rub over your art lines. This will transfer your image onto the post.

Did this last year when I did a mural around center camp ( A giant devil's head) and will be doing it again this year with my Zombie art.

It's a great trick I learned in art school.
FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
http://www.digitalartist.com/art/burningman/money.html
Some accordion at BM: http://current.com/items/89239638/rob_the_accordion_man.htm

delle

Post by delle » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:15 pm

What a sweet idea, Mr. Musical Slinky. I'm so glad you fought thru the thought that it might be too late and posted it anyhow, since I've finally decided not to even attempt tackling this until I return from TTITD.

Having already drawn it out flat, I'm half way there.

Although I have a hunch that by the time I return I'm going to find the original design completely boring, and the new one is going to be something WAY different!!!!

:D

Shel Silverstein

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:05 pm

here's an answer. sort of. We did similar things with round garbage barrels. take the pattern, and get a scriber wheel, don't they use these for patterns still? spiky wheel that cuts tiny slots in the paper on all the lines you need to transfer over.

put the holey pattern around the post... the post being white would be very best.

Get some charcoal powder in a little gauze bag... pat it all over the lines on your pattern. This should transfer the lines well enough to use them for painting.

and where do you get these things? I have no idea... might start at an art supply store?
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:50 am

Delle,

Now that you're back, and assuming this project is still in the works,
will we get to see pictures of the finished pieces?? :shock:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:03 pm

delle wrote:What a sweet idea, Mr. Musical Slinky. I'm so glad you fought thru the thought that it might be too late and posted it anyhow, since I've finally decided not to even attempt tackling this until I return from TTITD.

Having already drawn it out flat, I'm half way there.

Although I have a hunch that by the time I return I'm going to find the original design completely boring, and the new one is going to be something WAY different!!!!

:D
Bwahahahahahaha, I had the same thought about a David Hockney installation this evening! After Burning Man it was

booooooooooooooring............

:cry: :cry: :cry:
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Return to “Open Discussion”