One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Fufa
Burning Since: 2010

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by Fufa » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:13 pm

I already bought and modified goggles 3 months ago but.... I was at a yard sale today and scored another 2 pairs of cool old welding goggles, and a pair of aviator style tinted safety glasses for a couple bucks. Also picked up Halcyon mark 9 motorcycle goggles for $20 (SO HAPPY ABOUT THOSE!!!), a bodom french press, and a steel stove top espresso maker. The espresso maker does like 4 shots at once, I'm going to be hoppin' on caffeine!

The motorcycle goggles: :mrgreen:

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:16 pm

Fufa wrote:I already bought and modified goggles 3 months ago but.... I was at a yard sale today and scored another 2 pairs of cool old welding goggles, and a pair of aviator style tinted safety glasses for a couple bucks. Also picked up Halcyon mark 9 motorcycle goggles for $20 (SO HAPPY ABOUT THOSE!!!), a bodom french press, and a steel stove top espresso maker. The espresso maker does like 4 shots at once, I'm going to be hoppin' on caffeine!

The motorcycle goggles: :mrgreen:
For a minute I thought you said "bdsm french press". :shock:

And then, "I've been sort of wanting to try a french press . . . but it appears that I have much to learn before I buy."

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:17 pm

Fufa wrote: a steel stove top espresso maker.
thumbs up!!!
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Foxfur
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:46 pm

I want to go garage sailing with Fufa!
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

Fufa

Post by Fufa » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:04 pm

Elorrum wrote:
Fufa wrote: a steel stove top espresso maker.
thumbs up!!!
I'm going to test it tomorrow!

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:32 pm

I don't know if this is for Burning Man, but it's a cute little gadget. 7 chords, plus you can select sharp, minor, flat and 7th, of each. Strum is to break a light beam sent out from the bottom. Might be on a slow boat from China, but it looks like fun.

yurtgirl

Post by yurtgirl » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:57 pm

Picked up the bikes from the repair shop for their yearly tune up today. Took blue and orange electricians tape and taped my bike all up. Now I just need to light it up for night time. Got the new tent via UPS in one day without paying shipping!!!! Tomorrow we'll be getting tarps for the shade structure. Then I looked at the calendar and said "SHIT!!!" coz I realized I have only a few weeks before we hit the road. I can't focus on anything else but going home.
Last edited by yurtgirl on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 2 dates on your tombstone and all you're friends will read 'em, but the only thing that matters is that little dash between 'em. - Kevin Welch

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:42 am

Scored a TON of skirts at the fancy Goodwill. Including a nice purple Indian sari skirt :)

Tamarakay I have to ask: Printer Ink?
tamarakay wrote:Today was big box store day. I've tried to shop local mom & pop shops as much as possible, ordered some stuff from shops off the resources list from bmorg, I did buy some LED items from amazon, but some items (batteries, keurig coffee pods, printer ink) just have to bought in bulk and cheaply. Stocked up on camp obligation items (pancake mix, tequila, etc). Believe it or not CostCo had Tasty Bites! Only two flavors, but still... Found a pair of pants at a thrift store that we can cannibalize for the Sparkle's utility belt, will finish that tomorrow.
Bought a mountain of hamburger and bacon, going to cook up and freeze.

Tomorrow, more tetris in the trailer and some minor truck work.
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:58 am

MyLarry was home, so helped me mount a lot of my loose art prints, we sorted the leftover costumes from E-11 so I have a bag to take to Black Rock Boutique, sorted the boot bins (same shoes as last year), the solar lights (which we resort constantly), and the safety box (what is this doing in here?), and got a lot of the bins staged out back for packing. He got his camp oven cleaned up nicely and learned the beauty of Magic Eraser sponges. Went over the lists, except for random food shopping, clothes packing, and my art, we could go anytime.

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:51 am

AntiM wrote:MyLarry was home, so helped me mount a lot of my loose art prints, we sorted the leftover costumes from E-11 so I have a bag to take to Black Rock Boutique, sorted the boot bins (same shoes as last year), the solar lights (which we resort constantly), and the safety box (what is this doing in here?), and got a lot of the bins staged out back for packing. He got his camp oven cleaned up nicely and learned the beauty of Magic Eraser sponges. Went over the lists, except for random food shopping, clothes packing, and my art, we could go anytime.
Where do you get the art for your Home for Wayward Art? Do you accept donations?

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:04 am

NellieX wrote:
AntiM wrote:MyLarry was home, so helped me mount a lot of my loose art prints, we sorted the leftover costumes from E-11 so I have a bag to take to Black Rock Boutique, sorted the boot bins (same shoes as last year), the solar lights (which we resort constantly), and the safety box (what is this doing in here?), and got a lot of the bins staged out back for packing. He got his camp oven cleaned up nicely and learned the beauty of Magic Eraser sponges. Went over the lists, except for random food shopping, clothes packing, and my art, we could go anytime.
Where do you get the art for your Home for Wayward Art? Do you accept donations?
I happily accept donations, that is where some of the finest pieces come from. Bad art is terrific too. Can be original or found, or yard saled... or anything.

I make a lot of the art, scavenge, thrift shop (not so much now our pricers have gone mad), and beg. It is pleasing to give others a venue to share their works, or a place to unload that creepy thing Aunt Martha gave you on your wedding day to your ex. Small art gets so overlooked on the playa, and folks love being able to take home a concrete memory.

I'll be on A between 3 and 330. There's a sign, hard to miss me!

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:15 am

AntiM wrote:
NellieX wrote:
I happily accept donations, that is where some of the finest pieces come from. Bad art is terrific too. Can be original or found, or yard saled... or anything.

I make a lot of the art, scavenge, thrift shop (not so much now our pricers have gone mad), and beg. It is pleasing to give others a venue to share their works, or a place to unload that creepy thing Aunt Martha gave you on your wedding day to your ex. Small art gets so overlooked on the playa, and folks love being able to take home a concrete memory.

I'll be on A between 3 and 330. There's a sign, hard to miss me!
I won't be on the playa this year, sadly, but I have a couple of small prints I'd love to send you (if you have time). I also have a watercolor or two from a deceased client (I work at an art gallery/studio/theater for disabled artists).

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:33 am

Those would be perfect! How do you want to do this?

tahiti_treat
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:56 am

Since I'm jumping in on this thread late it will have to be "As many items as possible for BM a day" for me...

This will be my first burn and I'm kind of obsessed with being as prepared as possible. We had a test run last weekend (local festival) which was very helpful. My first time using a hydration pack was a "where-have-you-been-all-my-life" kind of revelation.

Yesterday I made a few clothing items - a sleeping cap to keep my dirty hair off my face/pillow at night, most of a tutu (I'll finish it today) and added a strap to my cowboy hat.

Today's main item: working on our camp's geodesic dome. We are also having a camp meeting (there are 10 of us going, mostly virgins).

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:06 am

AntiM wrote:Those would be perfect! How do you want to do this?
They're small and light, so if you want to PM me your address, I'll get them in the mail tomorrow. It's so cool to think my art and my client's art will be on the playa 8)

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:13 am

NellieX wrote:
They're small and light, so if you want to PM me your address, I'll get them in the mail tomorrow. It's so cool to think my art and my client's art will be on the playa 8)
On the playa and going home with complete strangers .... just so you're good with the adoption to a new forever home part. I've had people want to display their art and get it back. Er.... oops.

I'll be happy to pay postage, or send you a completely random piece of art.

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:18 am

recording streaming audio. Just like making mix tapes in the 70's. hee hee. yeah, I remember the guys saying they had to stay in and make party tapes... and the girls were washing their hair. It was better when we all lived together.

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:37 am

AntiM wrote:
NellieX wrote:
On the playa and going home with complete strangers .... just so you're good with the adoption to a new forever home part. I've had people want to display their art and get it back. Er.... oops.

I'll be happy to pay postage, or send you a completely random piece of art.
Yep, I'm totally cool with that! I like the thought of Anonymous having a piece of my art :D

I'll take an art, please! The postage shouldn't be much for the ones I'm sending, so I'll take care of it.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:54 am

AntiM's HWA!! Yay!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ordered up another $75 in LED/Blinkie stuff today, to add to the other $75 or so from last month...haha, "Lights R fun" (not to be confused with Eric's disdain of " Burner costume/outfits R us' lol) I order the classy, subdued stuff, heh.

I'm bracing for next week, we take the truck, trailer and golfcart into a badass burner shop for fixin' for 7days of non-stop work!!, gonna cost over a grand for parts alone, shuddering, but it's soooo worth it, lmfao!!

ETA: that last part. (I'm ascared of the looming parts list/bill, but stoked to have been invited into this infamous shop!) :P
Last edited by moonrise on Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:56 am

Did final check of the scaled up pattern. Spent all day yesterday cutting the parts for my coat. Got the bodice and sleeves sewn. Looking awesome so far. Working on the lining and bottom half today.

You never realize quite how large you are until you cut 6.5 yards of 60 inch fabric to make a coat lol. Never thought it would take 98 square feet of fabric just to make the shell plus another 7 or so for the trim (cuffs, collar, lapels).
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Fufa

Post by Fufa » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Foxfur wrote:I want to go garage sailing with Fufa!
I would totally take you if you lived anywhere near I! It's so much fun! I didn't mention before but on the same garage sailing trip I also scored a free 27" hitachi tv for the cabin... and there's nothing wrong with it! Now we can get rid of the one up there, where everything we watch on it is a gross shade of green.

jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Drawingablank wrote:Did final check of the scaled up pattern. Spent all day yesterday cutting the parts for my coat. Got the bodice and sleeves sewn. Looking awesome so far. Working on the lining and bottom half today.

You never realize quite how large you are until you cut 6.5 yards of 60 inch fabric to make a coat lol. Never thought it would take 98 square feet of fabric just to make the shell plus another 7 or so for the trim (cuffs, collar, lapels).

I sew in two sizes,,little ole me and buy the whole bolt 6'4 figment hehe I know whatcha mean :)

oops forgot my one thing a day :roll: ...6 lbs of yummy pork goodness bubling away in crock pots soon to transform into BBQ pulled pork samiches...mmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm my house smells awesome right now !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:14 am

Only got partway though test fitting dome canopy. Looks like it'll fit tho
Beware teh snarkasm

DustHand

Post by DustHand » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:01 am

Last box to be shipped to San Diego just got a label stuck on it...the UPS dude will take it away today!

My friend in San Diego was supposed to have picked up the RV he bought yesterday! A sweet 1989 model! Can't wait to see it... :D
Burner from Baltimore
)'(

Foxfur
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:20 am

AntiM:
I had so much fun as a youngin making mixtapes. I was a bedroom DJ and radio host :). Later I became involved with our high school's radio station (KLEL) and went on air regularly. My schtick was voices, lots of them :)

Fufa:
Nice score! Much of our entertainment systems have been freescore from dumpsters and broken donations (why do people feel compelled to give me their broken stuff???).

Jella:
You have mentioned a vastly important part of my life and the key to my heart: Pork. Mmmmmm! Shoulder roasts, boston butt, chops - bone-in or boneless, shredded, diced, ground. Oh hell, I'm gonna throw some chops on the grill for breakfast...

Thanks for the memories, girls! :D
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

yurtgirl

Post by yurtgirl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:37 pm

I've noticed as time gets close the one item a day is turning into many items a day. Same for me!
Today I scored gold pants and a great peachy orange and gold coat at the thrift store. :P Finally have a somewhat cool outfit. I also bought a bike horn and a rack for behind the seat. Its looking pretty good about now. I've been in teh backyard for a couple hours testing the tarps and shade set up. Not too confident with it. But we have some dudes in our camp who are masters at this stuff and can help. I was just trying to get an idea so Ididn't look like such a total noob out there. I really need to get some el wire. NOW!!!
There are 2 dates on your tombstone and all you're friends will read 'em, but the only thing that matters is that little dash between 'em. - Kevin Welch

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:22 pm

Continued aqualoading, continued frequent facility visits.

Huffed 5 cans of spray paint today but finally she's almost done......(famous last words).

Then I read the graywater thread and realize I have a can of black spray paint on the shelf above my work bench and my old Subaru cargo liner (come self-contained gw evap pond) has developed a certain playa patina..........

Note to self: next time buy all the paint in one visit. I needed "plastic" paint and knew that HD had Rustoleum in only one shade of green..... too bad the test can I bought was Krylon. It sucks being colorblind.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

BrotherDan

Post by BrotherDan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:53 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

Did the second build on the monkey hut, forgot to get a photo of it once we got the ends sealed up. The reason I point out the truck is because that is my designated "haul shit to Burning Man" I just purchased earlier this week.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:44 pm

Drove my van around the block for the first time, just now.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:45 pm

yay fishy :)
I finally finished my cargo belt, sorta hehe
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”