One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by tahiti_treat » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:26 pm

Discovered that tickets were not in the "safe place" I thought they were. Spent 7 hours searching other locations in house. Had meltdown. Finally discovered in pile of old bills. Much more stressful than the playa coat shopping I had planned.

ohCarie
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BDC & Orgasm Cove

Post by ohCarie » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Ordered more lights from ebay, why do I do this?

Rode cruiser around block, as I do every night to prepare my ass, this time with blinky tire lights. Turned all the neighbor kids' heads. Oh yeeeah. :mrgreen:
If you think you've overdone it, double it.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:10 pm

tahiti_treat wrote:Discovered that tickets were not in the "safe place" I thought they were. Spent 7 hours searching other locations in house. Had meltdown. Finally discovered in pile of old bills. Much more stressful than the playa coat shopping I had planned.
Yikes! :shock:

Although . . . aren't you glad you checked today, instead of two weeks from now? You might've been so flustered then you might not have searched so well.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:13 pm

And how'd ya like it?
theCryptofishist wrote:Drove my van around the block for the first time, just now.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Meh. I see problems. I might sell it and get another. But it felt good. Not ready to drive to playa tonight, but I have time to get some experience.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:06 pm

Well, I've come up with my final purchase list, erected the shade structure, took down and rolled the tent, sprayed down the rugs, they are hanging now along with the top to the shade structure, cleaned the ice chests, staged all the gear in the living room and made a rough sketch of my tent layout.

Dealing with a serious case of FOMO cause I know DPW et. al. are either there or on their way up.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:20 am

Found out the people we will be camping with will have evap ponds.
YAY to not having to stand in a black bag to shower! :lol:

Also bought the finals pieces for what I think will be the items I would like to gift. Hopefully people will want to take them home :|
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:39 am

PAINTING, PAINTING, PANICKING.

tahiti_treat

Post by tahiti_treat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:50 am

Savannah wrote:
tahiti_treat wrote:Discovered that tickets were not in the "safe place" I thought they were. Spent 7 hours searching other locations in house. Had meltdown. Finally discovered in pile of old bills. Much more stressful than the playa coat shopping I had planned.

Although . . . aren't you glad you checked today, instead of two weeks from now? You might've been so flustered then you might not have searched so well.
Oh, definitely! As miserable as I was yesterday, it would've been 100 times worse if it were the day before (or of!) departure. (Plus the "we're going to Burning Man after all!" celebration was kinda fun.)

I also finished my tutu late last night :)

yurtgirl

Post by yurtgirl » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:09 am

going to harbor freight for the glow in the dark rope I saw recommended on eplaya. thanks veteran burners!
nixing shade structure part uno (ez up) for shade structure part deux: a monkey hut. gonna get the pipes, etc today! omgomgomgomg
There are 2 dates on your tombstone and all you're friends will read 'em, but the only thing that matters is that little dash between 'em. - Kevin Welch

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:14 am

Anybody noticing how it's no longer "'ONE' Item for BM a Day" these days? :shock:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

yurtgirl

Post by yurtgirl » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:18 am

haha! yeah, its crunch time and while I've been making lists and revising lists for months now, when it comes down to actually the doing part I've realized I've spent too much time on the lists!
we need to restart this thread the day after exodus for the following year. maybe then.....
There are 2 dates on your tombstone and all you're friends will read 'em, but the only thing that matters is that little dash between 'em. - Kevin Welch

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:28 am

After all sorts of planning, failed experiments and other attempts at avoiding making a second coat I ended up just enlarging the pattern and sewing another one. Coat attempt 2 is a success, all that remains is to find some buttons that look good on it.

A lot more ostentatious (and more pink) than I am normally comfy with, but it was hard to pass up that fabric which has a much nicer feel than the brocade I originally planned to use.

Suedette shell with flannel lining for warmth - just hope it's not too warm.

But working with that fur - my house now looks like a flock of sheep exploded in it.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

tahiti_treat

Post by tahiti_treat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:34 am

Great coat, Drawingablank! It looks snuggly and fabulous! I bet you'll be glad for the warmth and you can always leave it open to cool down a little if you need to.

jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:36 am

Fabulous coat :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:47 am

Very nice! Ever think about lining it with some EL wire? Super easy to do. Would run you about $20 - $40 to do so, but looks awesome at night..

EDIT: Just saw that you posted in the C&C Help thread that you're out of time and money for this year. I would say that it's very worth it though, and it goes on very quickly and is easy to work with. I just lined the girls jacket with 17' of it.. going around the edges twice.. and we had it sewed on in about 1.5 hours. I would suggest using 3.2mm "phat" wire from Coolneon as it's super durable, high quality and works perfect for costumes. Lash it on around the edges with some 10lb test fishing line and you're set. Looks super duper cool. if you need help with selection or anything, just ask.

Drawingablank wrote:After all sorts of planning, failed experiments and other attempts at avoiding making a second coat I ended up just enlarging the pattern and sewing another one. Coat attempt 2 is a success, all that remains is to find some buttons that look good on it.

A lot more ostentatious (and more pink) than I am normally comfy with, but it was hard to pass up that fabric which has a much nicer feel than the brocade I originally planned to use.

Suedette shell with flannel lining for warmth - just hope it's not too warm.

But working with that fur - my house now looks like a flock of sheep exploded in it.
Last edited by junglesmacks on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:00 am

junglesmacks wrote: Very nice! Ever think about lining it with some EL wire? Super easy to do. Would run you about $40 to do so, but looks awesome at night..
I was planning to add EL wire, but I'm running low on time and more importantly we've already stretched the budget about as far as it will go (for the entire trip, not just the coat) so it will have to wait till next year.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Mulligan

Post by Mulligan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:15 am

tahiti_treat wrote:
Savannah wrote:

Oh, definitely! As miserable as I was yesterday, it would've been 100 times worse if it were the day before (or of!) departure. (Plus the "we're going to Burning Man after all!" celebration was kinda fun.)

I also finished my tutu late last night :)
That happend to me last year. And at the last minute. I got smart this year. I immediately put the tickets in my safe place and left notes to myself in the "other" safe places.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am

Spritzed my playa coat liberally with vodka, with an eye to increasing its tolerance.

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:59 am

Savannah wrote:Spritzed my playa coat liberally with vodka, with an eye to increasing its tolerance.
:shock:
This is one technique I haven't heard of yet.
How much of the vodka did you drink before you choose this method?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:01 am

Savannah wrote:Spritzed my playa coat liberally with vodka, with an eye to increasing its tolerance.
Nice, but if my coat develops a drinking habit it better get itself a job and buy its own booze.

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:02 am

Today:

Mailed Anti-M some wayward art! :lol:

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:04 am

My big furry pink coat prefers champagne :roll: it's such a snob !
I think the steampunk short coat plans to be more sassy and try Absinthe :wink:

Got the Email for EE yippieeeee
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:20 am

NellieX wrote:Today:

Mailed Anti-M some wayward art! :lol:
YAY!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:34 am

illy dilly wrote:
It actually cleans and freshens fabric that is difficult to wash, or dry clean only. :D (The cheaper the vodka, the better.)

The coat was pretty clean anyway, but I felt as though it should be as nice as possible before I drag its hem through the dust for a week.

The Hustler
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by The Hustler » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:38 am

I received the PDF of the 2011 Media Bible today, reading it now.

I'm in the process of organizing my gear, repacking, planning the food to bring.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Savannah wrote:
illy dilly wrote:
It actually cleans and freshens fabric that is difficult to wash, or dry clean only. :D (The cheaper the vodka, the better.)

The coat was pretty clean anyway, but I felt as though it should be as nice as possible before I drag its hem through the dust for a week.
Really?
Maybe something about Ethel alcohol cleaning but not bleaching better than Isopropyl?

Savannah, I'm gonna have to quote you on this one the next time I show up to work smelling like booze.
"But I was just cleaning my coat, cause god knows you don't pay me enough to have it dry cleaned, Geeze" :twisted:
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:14 pm

Had the vehicle checked out, she's raring to go.

.....and, yes, the first thing I did when I got the car back was check my hiding place for the ticket.

I thought about removing it from the car before I dropped the car off but I trust my mechanic more than myself (how f'd up is that?).

Actually he's my neighbor so I know where he lives.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

tahiti_treat

Post by tahiti_treat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:39 pm

Got a playa coat!! Grey leopard print fun fur, thigh length, 7 bucks. Hooray!

Also taste-testing some instant mac-n-cheese.
ETA: Mac-n-cheese fail. Think I'm just gonna go with regular pasta.

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:47 pm

The coat sounds awesome! We wanna see pics!

Was it the little mac'n'cheeses in the cup? or the freeze dried "mountain house" type?

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”