Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
remi

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Post by remi » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:38 am

My name is Remi (bet you couldn't tell that by the awesome nickname I gave myself,) and 2012 will be my virgin burn. I hail from Calgary, Canada. I'm a draftsman for an oil and gas company, and I own a wedding DJ company. I love, and am really good at both my jobs. I love to have fun on my time off.. which, during the winter includes hockey and snowboarding, and in the summer includes camping, hiking, boating, surfing, sky/scuba diving and, of course, going to local festivals such as Shambhala and Motion Notion. This year it's my girlfriends (of 6 years) great grandmothers 100th birthday during Shambhala, so I'm skipping that this year and going big for 2012... BURNING MAN! The planning has already started because, from my knowledge, it's big deal.

Anyways, I look forward to seeing you all on the Playa in about 48ish weeks.

Cheers,

Remi
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:20 am

Hola and hello remi...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

shantelssb

Post by shantelssb » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:00 am

My name is Shantel and I am interested in attending the 2012 Burning Man Event!!! I would love to meet others interested in Burning Man or who have even attended past events! Much love to all :)

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:14 am

Welcome to ePlaya everyone!

Beanz
Burning Since: 2002

Post by Beanz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:25 am

Hello Everyone. I figured it was time I apply some good manners and properly introduce myself. I've been on eplaya for a while :oops: , posting only on very rare occasions when I thought I'd burst if I didn't comment. I think I hadn't logged on for 6 months are so until just before this year's burn. My husband and I routinely attend BM every two years (My mate is a real introvert and doesn't do computers...but loves BM as much as me). This was our year off and I came down with a serious case of BMADD. Work has been slow (I work from a home office) and so was left with plenty of time to pine-away for our home in the desert...read about everyone's preparations, musings and misadventures...and started to get attached to this eplaya community.

Three people have given me the courage to step-up now and say "hello" :oops: ...1) Trilobyte who so sweetly fixed my profile name quickly and without question when I'm sure he was super busy getting ready to leave for home; 2) Savannah who obviously has a huge heart and I bet great hugs...her posts are always to warm and positive and 3) Jax Dee...if you don't know who I'm talking about, you might want to join the audience and tap into her ongoing BM 2011 saga being revealed to us all under "My Epic Journey" in Open Discussions.

I'm not witty or clever, nor am I particulary articulate with a big vocabulary (nor with advanced computer skills). I never thought I was creative until my first BM in 2002 gave me the courage to believe in myself. I am insecure in large crowds, especially those where witty reparte is zinging about. I've sat in the shadows of this eplaya community for all those reasons...this socializing on-line is all quite intimidating to me. But I'm taking a deep breath and exposing myself (though I'll save the visual for the real playa) because I've decided I'd like to get to know some of you and maybe see you at the M&G next year. I trust that you all will forgive my ackwardness as I tip toe my way in. Savannah, would you please hold me hand?

My mate (I'll call him Brown Rice to compliment my Beanz...together we are complete :wink: ) and I have been to BM a hald dozen times and the community is what we love best about it. Rice is quite the handy man and I sew, so we create ourselves quite a nice little living room-like camp each year that creates a warm inviting hang-out for neighbors. We occasionally corral a default friend or two to join us, but we haven't managed to turn any of our default friends into BM fanatics like us or any of our BM neighbors into lasting default friends. Perhaps that's part of the reason I'm reaching out here...to connect a bit more with some people that I could see again and again each year. I'm not a virgin, but I am sensitive, so please be gentle. I'm plunging in!

Now back to waiting for Jax's next installment!

Milayna
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Milayna » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:53 am

Beanz! Nice to meet you :) And thanks so much for mentioning Jax Dee's Epic Journey thread. I headed over and read the whole thing...amazing story! :D

Milayna

Post by Milayna » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:54 am

Oh and also loooovvvvveeee your adorable avatar!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:00 pm

Hey there, everyone that posts here needs to post an individual post in the Introduce Yourself forum! That way, you'll get a real welcome to eplaya.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Beanz

Post by Beanz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:48 pm

Thanks JK. I'll do that after I get some work done.

Beanz

Post by Beanz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:51 pm

Milayna wrote:Oh and also loooovvvvveeee your adorable avatar!
Thanks Milayna. Isn't that little kitten pose just the epitome of bliss!?...exactly how I enjoy being at BM.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Hi Beanz! Thanks for your kind words, and welcome to visibility. :)

I've actually got an intermittent shy streak, but tend to catch the other person's energy, so my heart might be bigger than my hugs, depending on the alignment of the planets (and the planets' consumption of champagne).

And hello to Rice as well. We'll get you yet, sir.

Beanz

Post by Beanz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:40 pm

We may be kindred spirits Savannah...I can't help from absorbing other's energies as well (hated having lots of roommates in my early years...too emotionally exhausting for non-invested relationships)...and my courage is roughfully proportional to my consumption of champagne or any other lubricant (the meant to be drinkable kind anyway)...but then whose isn't. :D

ohmu

Post by ohmu » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi everybody.

I burnt* for the first time this year, and had the best time of my life. I came alone, met a whole lot of cool and awesome people, and left with a head full of grandiose ideas for my campsite next year, which I'll occasionally be describing to this community and, hopefully with your feedback, fleshing out and culling down into a set of feasible plans that will amplify my next year's experience a hundredfold - and hopefully also the experiences of those around me. This is the main reason why I made an account here. The other reason is that someone said there would be cake.

What can I do for the rest of you? I'm no artist or entertainer, I'm one of those engineering types. I don't have a clue how to DJ, I don't play any instruments, and I can't foresee myself ever spinning fire. But I like to build things, and plan out how I'm going to build them, and all the problem solving that goes along with desert life. I'm also itching to hammer a few nails into next year's temple, even though I have nothing meaningful to write on its innards. But until then, let us exchange jokes and stories, and be merry.

*Not literally burnt, I'm proud to report

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:21 pm

hopefully with your feedback, fleshing out and culling down into a set of feasible plans that will amplify my next year's experience a hundredfold - and hopefully also the experiences of those around me. This is the main reason why I made an account here. The other reason is that someone said there would be cake.
The cake is a lie!

But there are other builders here for you to geek out with, and it will be special. :D

Welcome to the board . . .

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:15 pm

ohmu wrote:What can I do for the rest of you? I'm no artist or entertainer, I'm one of those engineering types. I don't have a clue how to DJ, I don't play any instruments, and I can't foresee myself ever spinning fire. But I like to build things, and plan out how I'm going to build them, and all the problem solving that goes along with desert life.
Well, it's said that many djs don't know...

And yes, engineering is good. I'm going to be presenting a series of problems of a practical nature to the board at some point. The more clear thinkers to counteract my natural muddle, the better.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

abeera

Post by abeera » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:46 am

Hello everyone............
I am abeera and i am newbie in this forum. Just join to say hello to all.Glad to be a part of this forum.
Hope i stay and enjoy in this forum.
Thanks. :)

an3ssen

Post by an3ssen » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:08 am

Hi everyone!

My name is Patrick and it is so nice to meet you all, here on the ePlaya!

My boo Lucia and I are making plans to come to Burning Man in 2012.
We are from the Netherlands and next year will be our first time to the Playa.

Hope to see, hear and speak to you here in cyberspace of IRL next year!

Be well and cheers, Patrick
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can ask me anything on @an3ssen or on my tumblog
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ScottJ65

Post by ScottJ65 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:15 am

Hi everyone, my name is ScottJ65 and yes Scott is my real name. I live in Honolulu, Hawaii where I've been for 10 years originally coming here from Seattle, WA. I've never been to Burning Man yet but it's definitely on my bucket list! I'm always looking at pictures taken there and think of the fun being had there and so much want to join in. Anyway I'm glad I found the eplaya and am looking forward to going to BM someday soon!

LanceThruster

Treats of a delicious nature...

Post by LanceThruster » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:29 am

Savannah wrote:
hopefully with your feedback, fleshing out and culling down into a set of feasible plans that will amplify my next year's experience a hundredfold - and hopefully also the experiences of those around me. This is the main reason why I made an account here. The other reason is that someone said there would be cake.
The cake is a lie!

But there are other builders here for you to geek out with, and it will be special. :D

Welcome to the board . . .
What about the punch and pie that was spoken of?

Are those all lies too?

I fear a total loss of innocence.

Jesus wept.
"We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is."
— Mark Vonnegut

DesireeTime
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Post by DesireeTime » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Hello,
I'm Desiree (aka: Kink) and I'm a Burner now for two years as a part of the Playa Surfers. I love this community both on and off the Playa. I am lucky to have found them.

[youtube][/youtube]
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:17 pm

That was wonderful. Welcome to the board, DesireeTime.

I finally visited Playa Surfers this year and had my pic snapped in my guard suit. :)

bigdane
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Post by bigdane » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi my name is Monty and next year ...2012...will be my first time! I live in the panhandle of FL in Tallahassee and have been trying to make it out for almost 10yrs...I'm closing in on 60 and figured I better get my ass in gear now! I'm pretty well educated; MEd and BArch, sober and gay...I moved here to care of my mom after she was injured in a car accident. Anyway I think its time for me to do something for me...something B-I-G...and I think this adventure meets the criteria!
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:51 pm

Sounds about right! Welcome, Monty. :D

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:02 pm

Hey Monty and Desiree, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

lazerfox
Burning Since: 2011

Post by lazerfox » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:22 am

Welcome to eplaya lilyship22.
Are you doing a song lyrics scavenger hunt?
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

Kontradiction

Post by Kontradiction » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:10 am

Okay, already introduced myself, but just in case here goes:

Howdy, my Name's Erin and I go by Kontradiction or K out there in the big bad Scene. My fiancee and I live roughly in the Los Angeles Area (in one of the Valleys), and we basically are in the budding stages of being self-employed, him in the Tech Field and me as a Nail Tech. We come from two very different backgrounds but together, he's the apple pie to my ice cream. In our spare time we can be found beekeeping, gardening, wine tasting, and occasionally, out at the Goth Clubs or at a Fetish Ball. If music could describe us, I'm techno and he's jazz. 2012 will be our very 1st Burn and we're very excited to go, live the experience, become one with the community, and just be in the Now out in the desert, wherever She might take us. : )
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:43 am

There are threads on relationships on the playa. As someone whose relationship didn't work well on the playa, I'd recommend finding and reading some. But they may be a little more gloomy and pessimistic than is called for.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Kontradiction

Post by Kontradiction » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:46 am

theCryptofishist wrote:There are threads on relationships on the playa. As someone whose relationship didn't work well on the playa, I'd recommend finding and reading some. But they may be a little more gloomy and pessimistic than is called for.
No, it's good advice, I have been reading up. We're quite aware of the risks, but nothing compares to the reality of course. :)
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-

Kontradiction

Post by Kontradiction » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:46 am

theCryptofishist wrote:There are threads on relationships on the playa. As someone whose relationship didn't work well on the playa, I'd recommend finding and reading some. But they may be a little more gloomy and pessimistic than is called for.
No, it's good advice, I have been reading up. We're quite aware of the risks, but nothing compares to the reality of course. :)

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:20 pm

Which begs the question: What does the playa have to do with reality?

Return to “The Greeter's Station”