Post by MOOP_Czar » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:58 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
MOOP Czar

Sola Gangsta

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by Sola Gangsta » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:05 pm

jkisha wrote:
Sola Gangsta wrote:
ygmir wrote:since the lines for "survival, wilderness, checking out, not participating , etc." are obviously subjective, and relative to you and your set and level of comfort, how, do you judge and name call others, doing what they do, "to get by"?
Because it's pretty obvious to me that a lot of people are not aware of their options and haven't even considered the alternatives.

I'm not aware of any name calling here except to make a point. I'm not trying to belittle people or make them feel down, I just want them to wake up.
Who are you trying to convince, us or yourself? It sounds to me like your are the victim on unfortunate life circumstances and are trying to convince yourself that your life now is actually wonderful by belittling anyone who just might not be in in the same situation. I'd be willing to bet if you won the lottery today, you'd be singing a whole different tune.
Drop the ego. There are no rules on survival. And if I won the lottery, the way I'd spend it would be nothing the way you guys would because I think differently about the world.
1II1I11I

Sola Gangsta

Post by Sola Gangsta » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:16 pm

lurker wrote:This is cute, SG, but you clearly know nothing about subsistence living--wild, rural or urban. All of your 'off the grid' crap is backed by a powerful technological society.

A survival situation is not the same as living that way every day--and it is not easy--even in an urban setting. Spending each day working to get enough food to eat and secure a place to sleep is hard. It eats at you.
Stop thinking that there are "rules" on how to survive, that it somehow has to be done with sticks and stones. This is ridiculous. I know how to survive this way and everyone should as a first step outside of dependence upon a system that threw them overboard a long time ago, but one should effect the best survival possible, not throw ones self into the arctic just to spite society. I clearly failed to communicate what I have been trying to say.

I'm saying that the world of possibilities is far different than... go to school, get good grades, go to college, get a job, get married, have kids... Part of "breaking" the 1% hold on us is learning to think outside of the norm of what they try to place us in.
1II1I11I

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:27 pm

BBadger wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:When did you go to college?
State school. University of Utah.
Temporal, not geographical.

And watching seven billion people starve to death, and going through the horror of the cannibalism and fighting and everything else that goes into that is going to leave the survivors with really fucked up psyches.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:09 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
BBadger wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:When did you go to college?
State school. University of Utah.
Temporal, not geographical.

And watching seven billion people starve to death, and going through the horror of the cannibalism and fighting and everything else that goes into that is going to leave the survivors with really fucked up psyches.
but, Imagine if Stephen King wrote the screenplay.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sola Gangsta

Post by Sola Gangsta » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:41 pm

jkisha wrote:I'd be willing to bet if you won the lottery today, you'd be singing a whole different tune.
Let me be more specific about what "tune" I'd be singing if I came into some substantial money...

First off, I'd hire a couple of engineers (besides myself) to see if a vehicle could be built based upon magnet/solar propulsion. I've had some ideas on this but wonder if magnetic fields are just too weak to offset the mass (nothing gas to run out of because it is simply the proximity of magnetic fields that creates force in the engine and switching polarity to nullify the force). Then I'd turn it into a mutant vehicle that I could live in off road in the desert somewhere year round. Then I'd buy out the local politicians in Nevada and straighten out the BLM regs so that they can finally state their real numbers on attendance instead of keeping 2 sets of books. With whatever money I had left I would sink into the grandest burning man event anyone has ever seen. I'd make all the cops wear tutus or they couldn't come to the event. I'd set up a burning man courtroom "Court Thunder Dome" for asshats where the crowd gets to pronounce their derision in the verdict.

Fuck buying a house and paying taxes on it, or a car that consumes gas that gives the elites an excuse to start wars in the mid east, or a yacht out on the ocean... boring and unimaginative (and selfish).
1II1I11I

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:44 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

MOOP_Czar

Post by MOOP_Czar » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:47 pm

Sola Gangsta wrote:Fuck buying a house and paying taxes on it, or a car that consumes gas that gives the elites an excuse to start wars in the mid east, or a yacht out on the ocean... boring and unimaginative (and selfish).
Again, this goes back to you attacking anyone without your single-minded agenda.

Yes, I am being a selfish bastard for wanting to pay off the house my wife and children live in and just much of a selfish bastard for wanting to pay off the house my recently widowed mother resides in.

I feel so enlightened via you well thought out and well placed insults.

I can see clearly now how the world would be such a better place if we all just fell into step, like the cattle you so love to refer to others as, with your way of thinking.

While it is very tempting to launvh into some form of diatribe, I am going to leave it at that as I really don't want to come across like you do.
MOOP Czar

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Sola Gangsta wrote:

Drop the ego. There are no rules on survival. And if I won the lottery, the way I'd spend it would be nothing the way you guys would because I think differently about the world.
WE have nut houses full of people that think different than every one else

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:55 pm

Sola Gangsta wrote:
No ego here. But I can remember when they used to call people lining your lifestyle hobos.

It's certainly not for me, but if you're happy more power to you.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Sola Gangsta

Post by Sola Gangsta » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:52 pm

jkisha wrote:No ego here. But I can remember when they used to call people living your lifestyle hobos.

Hobo's usually don't have business accounts, an LLC, and no credit card debt, so this is only partially accurate.

I've been dealing with a lawsuit that indirectly affects me due to a competitor's attempts at copyright trolling and the result of this is that now IANA has stepped in to take over an important time zone database that I've been involved with. If it wasn't for the work of my colleagues, the iPhone in your pocket might seize up on you due to incorrect time display and not be able to decrypt the messages you send via Twitter. Not the typical life of a hobo.
1II1I11I

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:59 am

"A handful of local banking leaders spoke up, reminding the council that they invest in the community"
http://www.kcet.org/updaily/1st_and_spr ... py-la.html
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:02 am

So what then is the point of having business accounts and an LLC? The only reason I am in business is because it affords me the opportunity to make more money than to work for someone else, or to not work at all. And why bust my but to earn a decent living if I can't enjoy what that money can buy? Now stop trying to tell me how to spend and enjoy my money and my life and get on with living yours. All of the above questions are rhetorical, please don't try to answer any of them.
Sola Gangsta wrote:
jkisha wrote:No ego here. But I can remember when they used to call people living your lifestyle hobos.

Hobo's usually don't have business accounts, an LLC, and no credit card debt, so this is only partially accurate.

I've been dealing with a lawsuit that indirectly affects me due to a competitor's attempts at copyright trolling and the result of this is that now IANA has stepped in to take over an important time zone database that I've been involved with. If it wasn't for the work of my colleagues, the iPhone in your pocket might seize up on you due to incorrect time display and not be able to decrypt the messages you send via Twitter. Not the typical life of a hobo.
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

MOOP_Czar

Post by MOOP_Czar » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:44 pm

I support this movement.

There is one thing that kind of irritates though:

They really need to think about who they have as their "face person" for their lives feeds.

Some of these people are fucking idiots.

There are a good number of very bright people that pop up, but Jesus Fuck...

Another thing - someone in SF needs to go down to the peeps doing their thang there and teach them how to use techy shit. SF is covered in 4g and they can't figure out how to stay Live for more than 15 minutes.
MOOP Czar

Sola Gangsta

Post by Sola Gangsta » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:16 pm

On the other hand not having a leader for the movement makes it even more difficult for the state to adapt. Co-opting the movement is made easier if there's a leader. It's not like politicians are in listening mode; they're in control/manipulation mode. Its good that their message makes no sense because then there can be no sensible response other than to expose their only hand in using brute force which is what they are about anyway. In a way, this is a good way to deal with liars, by not giving them a chance to open their mouth in response.

As for anyone wondering why a hobo would have an LLC (feel free to ignore J/K even though your rhetorical questions also had answers that weren't obvious), it's for protection from lawsuits like the one I'm going through right now.
1II1I11I

MOOP_Czar

Post by MOOP_Czar » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:30 pm

Man, any chance to yammer SG and u are on it..

I didn't say leader...

Camera jockey better?

It isnt that the message is dicordant, some of these neo-maxi-zoom-dweebies make the movement look BAD.

Nothing to do with the message- they are just fucking idiots.

When you have a guy stating that he is there because he has nothing better to do and another who said he was there to look for hippy chicks....

Unless the real message is" Dont Take Us Seriously"...
MOOP Czar

Sola Gangsta

Post by Sola Gangsta » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:46 pm

MOOP_Czar wrote:Man, any chance to yammer SG and u are on it..
That's why I love BM so much, if it wasn't for Dr Pyro promising to insult me, I might never have made it to the burn.
1II1I11I

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:34 pm

(Reuters) - The United States is poised on Tuesday to push through the toughest measures yet to curtail speculation in commodity markets, likely shifting the focus of a fierce four-year debate from the regulators to the courts.

In a measure decried by Wall Street and trading companies as a misguided political attempt to cap soaring oil and grain prices, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission is set to vote in favor of "position limits" that will cap the number of futures, swaps and options contracts any trader can hold.

If the rule maintains several of the key measures from a draft seen last month by Reuters, there will be some cause for relief in the industry. Tough limits on whether separately controlled accounts must be aggregated and whether swaps and futures positions can be offset were relaxed in that draft.

But yielding on those details will do little to temper deep frustration over a contentious plan that could force banks such as Morgan Stanley and industry traders including Cargill to scale back business, stemming an influx of investor capital and hedge fund trading and upending age-old practices.

A lawsuit to stop the measure coming into force seems likely, say industry experts and lawyers, one more hurdle for CFTC Chairman Gary Gensler, who is struggling against emboldened Republicans and a hostile Wall Street to put in place the rules required by the Dodd-Frank financial reforms.

"I would be very surprised if there's not some kind of lawsuit around these regulations," said one executive with a major fund who declined to be identified. "It's not clear whether the case has been made about the specific benefits."

After an eight-month battle, the Securities and Exchange Commission in July had its first Dodd-Frank rule overturned when a federal appeals court found the SEC had conducted a flawed analysis to support a rule that would make it easier for shareholders to nominate directors to corporate boards.

The position-limits rule may be challenged on similar grounds -- that the costs outweigh the benefits of a plan that many industry officials say will make markets riskier by driving trade to less-regulated overseas venues.

NO AGREEMENT

Dozens of academic, government and bank studies on the subject have differed on whether speculators influence prices long-term or whether prices simply respond to market conditions. The CFTC's own economists have yet to produce any economic evidence to connect speculators to price spikes.

Some politicians, however, have clamored for the CFTC to clamp down since early 2008, as oil and grain prices were shooting toward historic peaks.

"The bottom line is that we have a responsibility to ensure that the price of oil is no longer allowed to be driven up by the same Wall Street speculators who caused the devastating recession that working families are now experiencing," independent Senator Bernie Sanders said on Monday.

The rule will almost certainly seek to put some limits on the large long-only commodity index funds that have grown from nearly nil to over $300 billion in the past decade, nicknamed the "massive passives" for buying and holding futures contracts without regard to market fundamentals.

Gensler has worked tirelessly to win support from the commissioners, and as Reuters reported last week, he finally won over enough votes to push through the rule on Tuesday when the CFTC meets from 9:30 a.m. EDT (1330 GMT).

But his work is far from over. To prevent the "regulatory arbitrage" that many fear may ensue, he will need to ensure overseas regulators keep up with the CFTC.

Over the weekend, France lost its battle to force mandatory curbs on energy and food commodities, and Britain's Financial Services Authority -- which overseas most of the major non-U.S. commodity exchanges -- has maintained its opposition to mandated limits.

(Additional reporting by Sarah N. Lynch; Editing by Dale Hudson)

It ought to be abundantly clear by now that Wall St. will fight like a wounded animal to save its stake at the greed fest whose worse manifestation is commodity trading. People starve because of it. The Occupy crowd, I repeat over and over, will achieve nothing unless it coalesces into an organized entity. Industrial Workers of the World have their chance now to organize these folks. Stopping production is the only way to bring these greed monsters to task. Seriously, tell me what else is there?

cowboyangel CWA Local 39521
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Sola Gangsta

Post by Sola Gangsta » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:10 am

cowboyangel wrote: It ought to be abundantly clear by now that Wall St. will fight like a wounded animal to save its stake at the greed fest whose worse manifestation is commodity trading. People starve because of it. The Occupy crowd, I repeat over and over, will achieve nothing unless it coalesces into an organized entity. Industrial Workers of the World have their chance now to organize these folks. Stopping production is the only way to bring these greed monsters to task. Seriously, tell me what else is there?

cowboyangel CWA Local 39521
I'd like to see more chaos first. Once you got the establishment on the ropes then organization and a set of demands would be good, but organizing now into a coherent set of demands allows for a tea party style co-opt of the movement. This doesn't mean that whoever the leaders are behind OWS shouldn't be thinking strategy, just that we're not at that point where making announcements will help. They should continue to confuse the enemy (establishment) so that they can't get a handle on the situation. What OWS needs to continue doing is increasing their numbers and generating excitement any way possible until it becomes a serious threat. I recommend reading the "Art of War" by Tsun Tzu for anyone involved in this movement so that they understand what they are up against.
1II1I11I

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:57 am

I think they would be wise to have their first demand be to get all money out of politics, which I believe is the root of the problem. Focus on the problem rather than demonizing a certain group or member of society. By removing money from the political process, politicians would be free to do the right thing and vote their conscience and not their pocketbook.(assuming you believe politicians have a conscience.)
JK

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:01 am

So Sola Gangsta, did I in fact finally insult you or did I do what I usually do and just puss out instead?

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:10 am

jkisha wrote:I think they would be wise to have their first demand be to get all money out of politics, which I believe is the root of the problem. Focus on the problem rather than demonizing a certain group or member of society. By removing money from the political process, politicians would be free to do the right thing and vote their conscience and not their pocketbook.(assuming you believe politicians have a conscience.)

[youtube][/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sola Gangsta

Post by Sola Gangsta » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:53 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:So Sola Gangsta, did I in fact finally insult you or did I do what I usually do and just puss out instead?
You said something like "You needn't worry about being insulted for $320. I'd be happy to insult you for free" or something like that. Since you started me in the gift economy already, I knew I had to come and you guys were right it was a total blast beyond anything that I've experienced before. I was camped at 2:30 and H and stopped by Barbie Death village on a couple of occasions but I was too floored :shock: during most of the week and may not have noticed you there. On Wednesday morning I was thinking how in the world I was going to survive the event (HSIOW as George Carlin used to say - Holy Shit it's only Wednesday) and by late Saturday I was depressed because people were already starting to pack up to depart as soon as the man burned.

On gate road entering the event I noticed several cars losing their battery charge and needed to be jumped and finally the van next to me died and I pulled around facing the hood in the adjacent lane after someone asked me for a jump (something about the alkali dust kills batteries there). Once they were started again I couldn't turn back around so ended up backing my way into the event and people were telling me that I was going the wrong way... crazy place...(kinda like Mad Max on steroids) I just shrugged my shoulders and kept it in reverse and socialized between stops and playing my guitar in the drivers seat, etc while the 5 hour wait elapsed. Finally a guy in an RV let me get "right" again near the will call entrance on the left so my entrance into BM wasn't a breech birth after all.

So I was playing some jazz guitar at camp and had a 4 wheeled dolly (to roll out on the playa) rigged up to a deep cycle battery / Amp that was hooked up to a solar panel (hence my playa name) which I had by the 2nd day. I did some Metheny tunes near the Temple the night the Man burned shortly before sunset, huge crowd near there and maybe not the largest audience I ever had but the most meaningful gig that I've ever done. There were a couple of strange coincidences on the playa that would take a while to explain here but I'm sure you understand the kind of magic that happens there.

I was going to stick around till Tuesday or Wednesday after the temple burn in order to wait out the exodus rush, but a really cute lady needed a ride back to Reno having been left behind by her camp mates... :wink:
1II1I11I

Sola Gangsta

Post by Sola Gangsta » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:02 pm

BTW, for those who may not have spotted it (or figured it out yet), there's more than one reason for the eplaya art, so don't get stuck taking everything that is said literally. Those who know me personally know better, but for the control freaks who aren't even members of this board, its none of their business.
1II1I11I

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:07 pm

"How can we go forward when we don't know which way we're facing?"
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

MOOP_Czar

Post by MOOP_Czar » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:26 pm

Sic Pup wrote:Image

"How can we go forward when we don't know which way we're facing?"
Jesus fuck I am confused...
MOOP Czar

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:32 pm

F..k ing media..

A sex offender registered in Portland with his address as the park where Occupy is camped..

Screw the cause, have spend three day looking for the sex offender..
Beat it to death for over half the news hour.. Pardon me for calling it news..
No wounder I read my news from the net no matter how slanted..

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:29 pm

http://www.brightpathvideo.com/MP3/Copeland_Fanfare.mp3

Nothing like a little Copeland to describe in music what words can't describe about the Occupy folks.

Fanfare For The Common Man. Pure genius!

Enjoy. Power to the people.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:05 am

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:01 am

Okay, Bay Area media has reported that there are rats in the encampment at Occupy Oakland.

Yay, big surprise, they were there before the protestors got there.

I love the technique of saying, "we're going to have to clean up the encampment", implying that it's dirty in the first place. And too many news consumers blindly assume that the protestors are filthy without checking it out themselves, or excuse me, thinking for themselves.

Return to “Open Discussion”