Membership!

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
User avatar
Elliot
Posts: 7184
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:41 pm
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service
Location: Clearlake, Northern California
Contact:

Membership!

Postby Elliot » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:58 am

This needs thinking thru, but it just occurred to me that BM ought to be a membership organization. Only members may buy tickets. Existing members screen and sponsor new members. If all 57.000 ticket sell, then no more members are admitted until less than 57.000 tickets sell. This would NOT keep "new blood" out, for the natural turnover is considerable. It would strengthen our esprit de corps, and keep out voyeurs. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a single downside.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar
- Noon-6 daily, in the 4:30 Plaza at G Street -

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!-----

Website: http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do Awesome.

Image

User avatar
Sham
Moderator
Posts: 7669
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Re: Membership!

Postby Sham » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:17 am

I like the idea. I can nominate people who are like minded--like me.
Image

User avatar
Rice
Posts: 1723
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Location: da

Re: Membership!

Postby Rice » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:41 am

Elliot wrote:This needs thinking thru, but it just occurred to me that BM ought to be a membership organization. Only members may buy tickets. Existing members screen and sponsor new members. If all 57.000 ticket sell, then no more members are admitted until less than 57.000 tickets sell. This would NOT keep "new blood" out, for the natural turnover is considerable. It would strengthen our esprit de corps, and keep out voyeurs. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a single downside.


Not everyone who desires to attend Burning Man will know experienced burners.

I like the diverse nature of people that attend Burning Man. There will always be sparkle ponies, clueless and the radically-leaching "true burners". I see the sponsorship concept narrowing the type of people that are able to attend. Which seems like a bad thing. (What is to stop, experienced voyeurs, from sponsoring more of the same?? After all, they have attended at least once...)

There is no fair way to distribute 50000 tickets to 55000 people. Some folks are going to be left out.

What I see this year is a high percentage of burners trying to buy more tickets than they need. Oh sure, they lament on being a "true burner" and ramble on about "the ten principles of Burning Man"... But really, they want to ensure that THEY get a ticket (fuck the other burners...).



Please stay tuned for additional quasi-literate ramblings from a occasionally observant Canadian....
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

User avatar
The CO
Posts: 1668
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 am
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found
Location: I-CORPS, M*A*S*H HQ, Van Nuts, CA

Re: Membership!

Postby The CO » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:44 am

Who/how determines the initial 57k?
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

User avatar
duder9000
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:35 am
Location: En route

Re: Membership!

Postby duder9000 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:49 am

A twist on that idea. I like the idea of the January sale (whether it's via lottery or otherwise) being for those who have gone before (previous attendance being the only criteria for 'membership').

~35k tix sold, ONE per person, via tiered lotto or non-lotto to veterans in January

~15k tix sold in open sale (could be tiered so all financial levels of virgins could go) after January, with methods to deter scalpers

~10k tix pre-sale, low-income, comp tix, etc

STEP program to aid in non-scalping resale (open to virgins and veterans alike)


edit: misplaced modifier!
* SparkleSpaz HoboTron 20:12 *
A PSYCHOBILLY SPAZATRONIC HOBO-RIFFIC HONKADELIC WONKYTONK!!!

User avatar
Simon of the Playa
Posts: 16992
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins
Location: Rochester, Nevada.

Re: Membership!

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:55 am

only those with a picture of larry tattooed on their ass can get in.

Cult? what Cult? I don't see any Cult here....


ps...for those of you that keep kosher and cannot get tattooed because it means you wont get into heaven, i guess you're shit outta luck.
Last edited by Simon of the Playa on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"we are all naked under our clothes"

yogi berra.

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters

burn,burn,burn 2016

User avatar
Elorrum
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket
Location: Reno

Re: Membership!

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:57 am

I've been looking at the Glastonbury festival ticket model. Every individual registers and gets a registration number. When you purchase tickets you give your registration number. This allows for people who do not purchase tickets but are registered... a problem with your plan that assumes all members will go. You may purchase tickets for multiple individuals, but they all must be registered. Each ticket purchased must send a photo of the registrant to be laminated to the ticket. You have the option of maintaining your registration # for multiple years if your information does not change. The number of people purchasing tickets may exceed the number of tickets available, but each ticket sold goes to a specific person, so there is no hoarding. The company they use is See tickets. I am only throwing this out as a model, I haven't fully read their refund policy if there is one.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

User avatar
Rice
Posts: 1723
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Location: da

Re: Membership!

Postby Rice » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:58 am

The CO wrote:Who/how determines the initial 57k?


The Bureau of Land Management determines how many people are going to be allowed onto the Playa. There are some intrinsic limits on the road leading to BRC, which we seem to have reached (ie: only so many vehicles can travel down a single lane highway).

I believe the permit was re-negotiated every 5 years. This permit usually allowed for some population growth over that time period. The permit for the 2011 burn was a temporary 1 year permit which did not allow any population growth. (which is why BM sold out for the first time ever)

I have not seen the lease for the 2012 burn, so I do not know exactly what the population limits will be. (Although, one can deduce a basic number from the posted ticket tier limits and extrapolate from there) - The BLM website has all the previous leases, exclusion zones, and federal mumbo-jumbo available if one is motivated.

I hope this helps a bit ;)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

User avatar
Simon of the Playa
Posts: 16992
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins
Location: Rochester, Nevada.

Re: Membership!

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:59 am

Image
"we are all naked under our clothes"

yogi berra.

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters

burn,burn,burn 2016

BlackRockCityPimp
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:48 am
Location: Tent

Re: Membership!

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:04 am

hahaha.. great title

Im such a sucker for reading yet another ticket thread.

Good show Elliot.

User avatar
Rice
Posts: 1723
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Location: da

Re: Membership!

Postby Rice » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:10 am

Elorrum wrote:I've been looking at the Glastonbury festival ticket model. Every individual registers and gets a registration number. When you purchase tickets you give your registration number. This allows for people who do not purchase tickets but are registered... a problem with your plan that assumes all members will go. You may purchase tickets for multiple individuals, but they all must be registered. Each ticket purchased must send a photo of the registrant to be laminated to the ticket. You have the option of maintaining your registration # for multiple years if your information does not change. The number of people purchasing tickets may exceed the number of tickets available, but each ticket sold goes to a specific person, so there is no hoarding. The company they use is See tickets. I am only throwing this out as a model, I haven't fully read their refund policy if there is one.


I do not believe that a experienced burner has any more right to attend than a virgin... There is no fair way to distribute 50000 tickets to 55000 people. The maximum population of BRC is dictated by the Bureau of Land Management.

There have been many discussions regarding putting a participant's name onto each ticket. So basically, everyone will need to have photo ID with them when they get to the gate. This is not exactly bad, but I see it causing delays at the gate (oh, Dude, my ID is in a bin at the front of my cube van, so I will have to unload everything to get it. What do you mean I cannot get in without ID?? I left it in San Fran/Vegas/Chicago, etc...)

There is NO refund. http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=burning+man+refund+policy
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
Posts: 15843
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:54 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Membership!

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:16 am

Membership programs, by definition, are exclusive - I'm not a fan. Everyone may not be able to get their hands on tickets between now and August, but everyone's at least got a chance.

User avatar
Simon of the Playa
Posts: 16992
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins
Location: Rochester, Nevada.

Re: Membership!

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:27 am

i'm not taking any chances, i've already made an appointment to have the "Hat" tattooed on my ass just in case.
"we are all naked under our clothes"

yogi berra.

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters

burn,burn,burn 2016

User avatar
piehole
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:44 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: MiscreAnts
Bants
Glitter Apocalypse
Location: San Diego

Re: Membership!

Postby piehole » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:27 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:Image



Is that what they do to virgins? D:
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

User avatar
The CO
Posts: 1668
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 am
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found
Location: I-CORPS, M*A*S*H HQ, Van Nuts, CA

Re: Membership!

Postby The CO » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:28 am

stretch80 wrote:The Bureau of Land Management determines how many people are going to be allowed onto the Playa. There are some intrinsic limits on the road leading to BRC, which we seem to have reached (ie: only so many vehicles can travel down a single lane highway)....

....I hope this helps a bit ;)


Nyet. That's not what I was asking. I'm saying, who would be the arbiter of the initial 57,000 members in the concept Elliot proposed?
Who chooses and how would that initial membership be vetted?

I'm with Trilo.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

User avatar
Simon of the Playa
Posts: 16992
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins
Location: Rochester, Nevada.

Re: Membership!

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:29 am

thats second year, first one is on the scrotum.
"we are all naked under our clothes"

yogi berra.

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters

burn,burn,burn 2016

User avatar
piehole
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:44 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: MiscreAnts
Bants
Glitter Apocalypse
Location: San Diego

Re: Membership!

Postby piehole » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:31 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:thats second year, first one is on the scrotum.


Image
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

User avatar
Rice
Posts: 1723
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Location: da

Re: Membership!

Postby Rice » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:35 am

The CO wrote:
stretch80 wrote:The Bureau of Land Management determines how many people are going to be allowed onto the Playa. There are some intrinsic limits on the road leading to BRC, which we seem to have reached (ie: only so many vehicles can travel down a single lane highway)....

....I hope this helps a bit ;)


Nyet. That's not what I was asking. I'm saying, who would be the arbiter of the initial 57,000 members in the concept Elliot proposed?
Who chooses and how would that initial membership be vetted?

I'm with Trilo.


Yes, who indeed?? This sparks a "burnier than thou" argument. I dislike the exclusion that any proposed membership scheme would create...

Unless the population growth allowed meets demand, by nature, some burners and virgins will have to stay home.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

User avatar
moonrise
Posts: 2225
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Silver Circle; Reno, Tahoe, Vegas

Re: Membership!

Postby moonrise » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:39 am

The Grateful Dead tried something similar to that when they had a scarcity issue. Things became incestuous and ultimately the practice was dropped.

@piehole, yes, that is what we do to burgins. Just kidding, haha..
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

User avatar
Elorrum
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket
Location: Reno

Re: Membership!

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:40 am

stretch80 wrote:
Elorrum wrote:I've been looking at the Glastonbury festival ticket model. Every individual registers and gets a registration number. When you purchase tickets you give your registration number. This allows for people who do not purchase tickets but are registered... a problem with your plan that assumes all members will go. You may purchase tickets for multiple individuals, but they all must be registered. Each ticket purchased must send a photo of the registrant to be laminated to the ticket. You have the option of maintaining your registration # for multiple years if your information does not change. The number of people purchasing tickets may exceed the number of tickets available, but each ticket sold goes to a specific person, so there is no hoarding. The company they use is See tickets. I am only throwing this out as a model, I haven't fully read their refund policy if there is one.


I do not believe that a experienced burner has any more right to attend than a virgin... There is no fair way to distribute 50000 tickets to 55000 people. The maximum population of BRC is dictated by the Bureau of Land Management.

There have been many discussions regarding putting a participant's name onto each ticket. So basically, everyone will need to have photo ID with them when they get to the gate. This is not exactly bad, but I see it causing delays at the gate (oh, Dude, my ID is in a bin at the front of my cube van, so I will have to unload everything to get it. What do you mean I cannot get in without ID?? I left it in San Fran/Vegas/Chicago, etc...)

There is NO refund. http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=burning+man+refund+policy

no quick ID.... go to D lot and think about being better prepared. with a photo on the ticket, the ticket is your photo i.d. I think Glastonbury has a refund policy with a fee, and then that frees up a ticket for another registrant.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

User avatar
Elliot
Posts: 7184
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:41 pm
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service
Location: Clearlake, Northern California
Contact:

Re: Membership!

Postby Elliot » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Keep'em coming. Brainstorming is a great way to kill a bad idea. And sometimes a good idea emerges from the process.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar
- Noon-6 daily, in the 4:30 Plaza at G Street -

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!-----

Website: http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do Awesome.

Image

User avatar
Rice
Posts: 1723
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Location: da

Re: Membership!

Postby Rice » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:02 pm

Elorrum wrote:no quick ID.... go to D lot and think about being better prepared. with a photo on the ticket, the ticket is your photo i.d. I think Glastonbury has a refund policy with a fee, and then that frees up a ticket for another registrant.


D-lot is a given... I suspect the size of D-lot will need to increase ;)

Hmm, logistically not impossible... Photos on the tickets would help. So, there would be a cut-off time for ticket sales? Transfers of tickets and gifting a ticket would become complex. I imagine some burners would freak out over their implied loss of privacy (what?? They want my photo & name?? {insert freakout here} )

This would limit all ticket sales to the Official Burning Man ticket page. Therefore no quick selling of your ticket to a friend, it would need to be handled by BM and then either held in will-call or mailed. Not necessarily a problem.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
Posts: 18935
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:23 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Location: Wild, Wild West

Re: Membership!

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:11 pm

MyLarry and I didn't know any burners when we first attended. We were mistake for vets, so I suppose we were stealth virgins. At some point we were all virgins....
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

User avatar
Minxy
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:10 am
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Membership!

Postby Minxy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:31 pm

I wonder if achieving the status of a card-carrying official certified cocksucker from Retrofrolic camp would qualify you for membership? /ponders =D
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

BeyondIndigo
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Membership!

Postby BeyondIndigo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:10 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:thats second year, first one is on the scrotum.


Last time I checked, I didn't have a scrotum.
Beware the creeping Britishness

User avatar
oneeyeddick
Posts: 5591
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Location: Probably in your pants

Re: Membership!

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Well, looks like it's time to start growing one!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40300
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: Membership!

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:34 pm

BeyondIndigo wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:thats second year, first one is on the scrotum.


Last time I checked, I didn't have a scrotum.

Oh, so you're the one from last year who....


I've said too much.




Sorry about the maiming, BI.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 28589
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Membership!

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:52 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
BeyondIndigo wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:thats second year, first one is on the scrotum.


Last time I checked, I didn't have a scrotum.

Oh, so you're the one from last year who....


I've said too much.




Sorry about the maiming, BI.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E5u5xO8t68
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

pink
Posts: 1359
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:30 am
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic
Location: sacramento

Re: Membership!

Postby pink » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:21 am

Minxy wrote:I wonder if achieving the status of a card-carrying official certified cocksucker from Retrofrolic camp would qualify you for membership? /ponders =D


Being a card-carrying certified cocksucker gets you the world! And maybe a headache...

Retrofrolic: perverting the masses one sucked cock at a time! Well, actually three cocks to be certified...
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

User avatar
Minxy
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:10 am
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Membership!

Postby Minxy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:06 am

pink wrote:
Minxy wrote:I wonder if achieving the status of a card-carrying official certified cocksucker from Retrofrolic camp would qualify you for membership? /ponders =D


Being a card-carrying certified cocksucker gets you the world! And maybe a headache...

Retrofrolic: perverting the masses one sucked cock at a time! Well, actually three cocks to be certified...



:D
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah


Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests