You guys are effen lucky

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40294
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:51 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:I challenge you to be A's rather than B's. Make you own spark, watch it grow until you need to hire people to control the crowds. May you all be so blessed.

If I make it to A, can I hire electric eels to control the crowds?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby gyre » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:59 am

BBadger wrote:The very fact that I'm asking for citations fundamentally refutes your "everyone is aware of" claim. Also, requesting citations is just as much about confirming that your sources are legitimate, as the information itself. As of now your statements are unsubstantiated.

Okay, anyone watching the news is aware.
This isn't some special source of mine.
ABC, CBS, NBC, BBC, AP, Reuters, PBS dockos, american history classes, books, myriad internet history sources.

There are many things I know that I can't substantiate.
This is not such a case.
Unsubstantiated is often still true though.

'Citations' isn't a specific question and this is a very broad subject, as I mentioned.

Feel free to look up these events.
They are widely covered.

Is there a specific question?

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 4873
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2018
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby BBadger » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:03 am

gyre wrote:
BBadger wrote:The very fact that I'm asking for citations fundamentally refutes your "everyone is aware of" claim. Also, requesting citations is just as much about confirming that your sources are legitimate, as the information itself. As of now your statements are unsubstantiated.

Okay, anyone watching the news is aware.


Again, you're speaking in generalities, and have provided nothing of substance. Your response sounds somewhat like the True Scotsman fallacy, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps the news that I read does not cover the topics you happen to gravitate towards. So again, where are your citations? If they're so easy to find, why don't you link me to some?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40294
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:05 am

What about those people who watch the kind of news that makes them stupid and unaware?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 4873
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2018
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby BBadger » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:09 am

theCryptofishist wrote:What about those people who watch the kind of news that makes them stupid and unaware?


Precisely why the sources are just as important as the information.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby gyre » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:14 am

BBadger wrote:Again, you're speaking in generalities, and have provided nothing of substance. Your response sounds somewhat like the True Scotsman fallacy, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps the news that I read does not cover the topics you happen to gravitate towards. So again, where are your citations? If they're so easy to find, why don't you link me to some?

Yes, I was speaking in generalities.
I can substantiate what I've said.
I have no interest in doing so.

Any specific questions?
I'll try to answer.

ltgoff
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:12 am

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby ltgoff » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:17 am

Thanks for that quadra. The only times I've ever felt a real, physical, shudder of patriotism is on the playa. For all of America's many faults, there is something so deeply redeeming about the fact that something like Burning Man can exist there.

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 4873
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2018
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby BBadger » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:19 am

gyre wrote:
BBadger wrote:Again, you're speaking in generalities, and have provided nothing of substance. Your response sounds somewhat like the True Scotsman fallacy, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps the news that I read does not cover the topics you happen to gravitate towards. So again, where are your citations? If they're so easy to find, why don't you link me to some?

Yes, I was speaking in generalities.
I can substantiate what I've said.
I have no interest in doing so.

Any specific questions?
I'll try to answer.


ygmir called it perfectly. Your claims are empty and a waste of time. From now on, I'll just file whatever you say under "unsubstantiated bullshit."
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40294
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:20 am

Sometimes truth does win...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
Trishntek
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:27 pm
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!
Location: Ventura, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby Trishntek » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:29 am

So let's all focus on what's wrong with America shall we? Why should this be any different than any other thread when somebody tries to be positive about our country? Tear it down, stomp on it and absolutely do not dare say anything good about America.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby gyre » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:33 am

BBadger wrote:
gyre wrote:Any specific questions?
I'll try to answer.


ygmir called it perfectly. Your claims are empty and a waste of time. From now on, I'll just file whatever you say under "unsubstantiated bullshit."

I'm still not hearing a question.

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby gyre » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:36 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Sometimes truth does win...

Is that a question or just passive aggressive?

I could probably say things that there is no response to, but why?

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 4873
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2018
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby BBadger » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:39 am

gyre wrote:
BBadger wrote:
gyre wrote:Any specific questions?
I'll try to answer.


ygmir called it perfectly. Your claims are empty and a waste of time. From now on, I'll just file whatever you say under "unsubstantiated bullshit."

I'm still not hearing a question.


Here's a rhetorical one: why bother?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby gyre » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:00 pm

That's actually less vague than a general request for citations.

You've made it clear you have no actual question about anything.
It isn't even clear that you disagree with anything in particular.

Didn't hear a question from ygmir either.
What's the proper response to tennis bat..mumble mumble?

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby gyre » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:19 pm

To learn about the entire history of the usa, consider a course at any nearby college, or try the public library.
Voting rights is covered.

I think this is a recent docko I saw.
Can't play it to be sure.
The one I saw had several interviews with people that had to have extensive legal help to vote, in the $2000 to $2500 range.
http://video.pbs.org/video/2188245007/

Tenn has much less restrictive voter suppression laws (so far), but I have helped homeless people get the "free" ID and it took all day in one case, and a trip to a nearby town.
Besides not being free, it takes an inordinate amount of time.
None of these people could do this without transport.
One of them was required to have the ID to work at a menial job for the salvation army.
i don't know if that was due to the law though.
They continue to advertise the ID as "free" to those who need it.

My ID has cost me several hundred dollars to maintain, and I have a local birth certificate.
My friend born in california spent close to a thousand dollars over a year, primarily due to issues with the state of california, and that was with a registered birth certificate, not originating one.
The problem nearly kept him from joining the military, besides voting, etc.
I think it went something like "Prove who you are, so we can give you the material to allow you to prove who you are."

Someone without assets and transport could easily be disheartened from voting, and could be easily confused by the process.
Like I said, we have the mildest version of the law here.

Another ID law here-
You probably have some version of that ridiculous and useless "anti-crack" law where you are.
The newest version here requires ID to be used on an "instant" database.
My experience with such databases is very kafkaesque.

Here's the punchline:
The pharmacist is now supposed to 'assess' whether you 'need' the allergy medication.
(Yes we still have laws about practicing unlicensed medicine.)
As I pointed out to a local news crew, by the time I need pseudophedrine, I'm in bad shape and probably look like a crack user.

User avatar
knowmad
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:33 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB
Location: Puget Sound

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby knowmad » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:32 am

Image
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby gyre » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:42 am

Good one, Knowmad.


Quadraspleen, when the sheriff started taking ticket receipts as they came in years ago, many thought that was the end of burning man.

Whatever people think of the route taken by the llc, it was a bit of a miracle to come through that, and keep the event going.

I urge you to keep trying to educate people in the UK no matter how hopeless it may seem.
Things can change, but it takes effort even to maintain freedom you have.
You may be surprized at what you can do.

User avatar
Ugly Dougly
Posts: 16605
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Burning Since: 1996
Location: San Jose, CA
Contact:

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:09 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:I challenge you to be A's rather than B's. Make you own spark, watch it grow until you need to hire people to control the crowds. May you all be so blessed.

If I make it to A, can I hire electric eels to control the crowds?

I would pay good money to watch you handle an eel. ;)

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 28499
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: You guys are effen lucky

Postby ygmir » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:I challenge you to be A's rather than B's. Make you own spark, watch it grow until you need to hire people to control the crowds. May you all be so blessed.

If I make it to A, can I hire electric eels to control the crowds?

I would pay good money to watch you handle an eel. ;)



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkMHVQL6h0s
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan


Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests