Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Tanzremix

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by Tanzremix » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:12 pm

I'll stand by what I said. STEP is for people without tickets, if someone got tickets elsewhere and still accepted a STEP ticket that'd be double dipping on an individual level.

freeeeeman
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dodgeball Addiction

Post by freeeeeman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:18 pm

Tanzremix wrote:I'll stand by what I said. STEP is for people without tickets, if someone got tickets elsewhere and still accepted a STEP ticket that'd be double dipping on an individual level.
i'm not sure i agree, though i see where you are coming from. my view was that the direct tickets (which are for a camp, not an individual) are to be given to someone in your camp. (which i received and did.) however, if others in the camp also want to go, then anyone in the camp (myself included) can be in STEP. so while i received a direct dist ticket and let my friend purchase it (who is in my camp), i'm also in STEP b/c we have more ticket demands.

and in fact, i'm in STEP for my other camp mates as i already have a ticket. this seems perfectly ok to me, no?

btw, we'll probably not need the STEP tickets (12:21) as we've been scraping & scrounging for months and have found other tickets. but if we need them, we'll surely take them if they come available.

the DD tickets (i was told via phone) were the # of tickets needed to allow the camp to exist at the bare minimum.

my 2 cents anyway....

Tanzremix

Post by Tanzremix » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:24 pm

Definitely a complicated issue, but going back to the lottery it seems slightly more clear. We were supposed to register for tickets only for ourselves and one other person; it seems all the people who didn't act accordingly have caused a lot of the ticket scarcity issues we currently face. I understand the system is broken, and I've been a proponent of not putting faith in a broken system, but people can't have it both ways: either you admit you're blowing off all the rules and suggestions in favor of self interest (and in the interest of acquiring more tickets) or you don't, but everyone has to pick a side. IMO, once you get a ticket STEP should no longer be an option.

freeeeeman

Post by freeeeeman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:34 pm

Tanzremix wrote:Definitely a complicated issue, but going back to the lottery it seems slightly more clear. We were supposed to register for tickets only for ourselves and one other person; it seems all the people who didn't act accordingly have caused a lot of the ticket scarcity issues we currently face. I understand the system is broken, and I've been a proponent of not putting faith in a broken system, but people can't have it both ways: either you admit you're blowing off all the rules and suggestions in favor of self interest (and in the interest of acquiring more tickets) or you don't, but everyone has to pick a side. IMO, once you get a ticket STEP should no longer be an option.
i hear ya. i guess i always viewed it as a group thing. my BFF sold me his extra ticket from the lottery on the outset, but i still aggressively tried to get into the STEP queue for other camp mates who don't have the luxury of being on the internets w/ multiple computers right at noon on that fateful day, etc... seems like as long as people aren't scalping the tickets, it shouldn't be a big deal. but who knows, eh? i go more by morals than the ever-changing-ambiguous rules anyway.

i do believe that those who really try & make an effort can get to the playa this year. i hope you get to go too!

Tanzremix

Post by Tanzremix » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:38 pm

freeeeeman wrote:
Tanzremix wrote:
i do believe that those who really try & make an effort can get to the playa this year. i hope you get to go too!
I agree, I think we're all going to be fine :D I'm just defending a position, not really looking for trouble. I do wish we knew whether or not all those 1000 tickets destined for STEP have made it in tho!

remi

Post by remi » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Flip a coin.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Received a STEP offer and let it expire because (holy hell, I hope) we found an extra ticket locally from somebody who hasn't received them in the mail yet.

This is going to royally piss everybody off, but I met somebody who already got his tickets, booklet, Fireball... ...from a StubHub type of deal. That roasts my chestnuts just a bit, but, he only paid about $50 extra and so it might have been from a legit burner trying to avoid the STEP chaos.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

Dis)'(rack
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Blue Team Burners

Post by Dis)'(rack » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:56 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:This is going to royally piss everybody off, but I met somebody who already got his tickets, booklet, Fireball... ...from a StubHub type of deal. That roasts my chestnuts just a bit, but, he only paid about $50 extra and so it might have been from a legit burner trying to avoid the STEP chaos.
I was thinking about that yesterday, when does the extra money for hardship, transaction fees, and expenses becoming scalping? What dollar amount above face? I would say $50 above face is not scalping given the level of effort to get a tix. Who knows, maybe the person had to take time off of work to go to the post office to send insured tix, or anything along those lines.
You pay your money...you take your chances

moonwatcher
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: The Dusty Beavers

Post by moonwatcher » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:32 pm

freeeeeman wrote:
Tanzremix wrote:Definitely a complicated issue, but going back to the lottery it seems slightly more clear. We were supposed to register for tickets only for ourselves and one other person; it seems all the people who didn't act accordingly have caused a lot of the ticket scarcity issues we currently face. I understand the system is broken, and I've been a proponent of not putting faith in a broken system, but people can't have it both ways: either you admit you're blowing off all the rules and suggestions in favor of self interest (and in the interest of acquiring more tickets) or you don't, but everyone has to pick a side. IMO, once you get a ticket STEP should no longer be an option.
i hear ya. i guess i always viewed it as a group thing. my BFF sold me his extra ticket from the lottery on the outset, but i still aggressively tried to get into the STEP queue for other camp mates who don't have the luxury of being on the internets w/ multiple computers right at noon on that fateful day, etc... seems like as long as people aren't scalping the tickets, it shouldn't be a big deal. but who knows, eh? i go more by morals than the ever-changing-ambiguous rules anyway.

First, let me say that I do not mean to personally criticize anyone...I love you all and fervently hope to meet you all and hug each one of you on the Playa...

But I have to agree with Tanzremix. Once you have a ticket, you shouldn't be eligible to STEP or the early August open sale.
Having your tickets and being on STEP for your campmates/friends is exactly like letting someone cut in line in front of everyone else.

Those of us on STEP, without any ticket, are also someone else campmates...
Buy the ticket, take the ride!

freeeeeman

Post by freeeeeman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:46 pm

moonwatcher wrote:
First, let me say that I do not mean to personally criticize anyone...I love you all and fervently hope to meet you all and hug each one of you on the Playa...

But I have to agree with Tanzremix. Once you have a ticket, you shouldn't be eligible to STEP or the early August open sale.
Having your tickets and being on STEP for your campmates/friends is exactly like letting someone cut in line in front of everyone else.

Those of us on STEP, without any ticket, are also someone else campmates...
thanks for that. it is well said!

i'm not sure there's a right or wrong here. who deserves to go? well, everyone, right? so given the limited supply, someone just as deserving as the next is going to get left out. i got lucky w/ a ticket early on friend my BFF, but other friends who get to check the internets once a week pretty much stood no chance. or my other friends who tried for the lottery and STEP and didn't get in.... or my friends who were traveling... blah blah blah... i think they deserve to go every bit as much as everyone else. but every ticket i or my friends use is one that someone else can't. there's no way around it. i think that goes for every sold out event.

but i understand your sentiment and it's totally legit... i also think there's more to it... and BMorgs rules for tickets this time around certainly don't constitute morality. and i'm not feeling attacked, i think it's good to air these things.

:)

moonwatcher
Camp Name: The Dusty Beavers

Post by moonwatcher » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:14 pm

freeeeeman wrote:
but i understand your sentiment and it's totally legit... i also think there's more to it... and BMorgs rules for tickets this time around certainly don't constitute morality. and i'm not feeling attacked, i think it's good to air these things.

:)
Thank YOU for engaging in the discussion. I also think it is good to air these things and if we remain constructive something good will hopefully come out of it.
And, YES, ultimately, BMORG is responsible for the ticket fiasco that affects just about every participant this year. Bad advise, bad planning, bad execution, whatever, let's hope they fix it for next year.

I really wish BMORG would put us STEPPERS out of our misery... what is going on with those 1000 tickets ???
I can't believe 1000 tickets only moved the needle from 12:17 to 12:18. Or were there many thousands waiting in STEP?
Can't the system handle more than a few tickets at a time??
At this rate, we'll get to 12:21 in September or October...

Sigh... :(
Buy the ticket, take the ride!

happy truk

Post by happy truk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi Gang - just a thought - the Sunday July 8 JRS sent 8:00 PM’ish stated that “Today 1,000 additional $390 tickets will be placed into the Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP)” - if they all went out that night, the 72 hour window to accept the tickets ends tonight - so perhaps some more emails will go out tomorrow due to tickets not being needed/claimed

so nice to see some of my fellow Class of 12:18‘ers obtaining tickets - Yay! chica63

calirobert and vargaso, I am right behind you at 12:18:34 - 25 seconds to go - so close

moonwatcher - I agree with that Sigh - hang in there

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:51 pm

calm down skillet, it's gonna take a bit yet. Good things come to those who wait :wink:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

happy truk

Post by happy truk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:01 pm

lucky420 - I love it!

“calm down skillet, it's gonna take a bit yet. Good things come to those who wait ”

Just what I needed to hear.

I remember early on when you received your good news - thanks for the support

Sassy Britches

Post by Sassy Britches » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:33 pm

Congratulations to all the STEPchildren who have been getting tickets, and hoping for the rest. We still have 1 campmate in STEP, and all of us are doing the "refresh, refresh, refresh" thing too - our campmate waiting for the magical STEP email, the rest of us waiting for the good news. We continue to have faith that we all will be burning together this year, and lack of ticket is not stopping anybody's preparations for a great burn.

Arnoldo and Remi, I am so sorry to hear of your tragic losses. Just wanted you to know there's another burner out here sending you healing energy.

Looking forward to meeting all of you at the M&G. And, to a whole bunch of you during one of my Greeting shifts :P

SpacemanSpliff

Post by SpacemanSpliff » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Just in case anyone's in the same position I am, here is BMORG's official response:
You should submit a name change request for the DDTs that you have so they can go to your camp members. If this happens before they're mailed out, they can be mailed to the new owners directly. Alternativly, you could forward your STEP email to your camp mates, and they could purchase those tickets and you could keep your DDTs. This would be the easiest option, and you wouldn't run the risk of having your orders canceled due to there being more than 2 tickets in your name. As long as the STEP tickets are purchased under someone elses name with someone else's credit card that won't effect your DDTs at all.

Cheers,
Lulu | Burning Man Tickets
"No, dude, I'm not going to kiss the cat. You people are sick. I'm outta here."

Tanzremix

Post by Tanzremix » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:03 pm

Well hey, its all going to work out. Doesn't really address the ethics of the situation, but at least you've got an answer.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:37 pm

SpacemanSpliff wrote:Just in case anyone's in the same position I am, here is BMORG's official response:
You should submit a name change request for the DDTs that you have so they can go to your camp members. If this happens before they're mailed out, they can be mailed to the new owners directly. Alternativly, you could forward your STEP email to your camp mates, and they could purchase those tickets and you could keep your DDTs. This would be the easiest option, and you wouldn't run the risk of having your orders canceled due to there being more than 2 tickets in your name. As long as the STEP tickets are purchased under someone elses name with someone else's credit card that won't effect your DDTs at all.

Cheers,
Lulu | Burning Man Tickets
Just FYI, for anyone else: I wouldn't forward a STEP email without getting specific permission from BMorg via Partiserv, whenever possible.

Email forwarding has been misused (and caught) in other circumstances.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:16 pm

SpacemanSpliff wrote:Just in case anyone's in the same position I am, here is BMORG's official response:
Reiterating what Savannah said, that was specific for you, it was not an "official in all circumstances" response. Anyone else doing it could have their tickets yanked, so ALWAYS contact partiserv @ burningman . com with questions like this.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

DiscoBall
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Minstrel CrAMP

Post by DiscoBall » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:40 pm

On another note, a friend of mine had 2 first tier tickets (I believe after tax and everything it came to 522 CA$) and they may be looking to sell them for face value. Too late for them to go into step, and I couldn't think of anyone more deserving then you STEP children. If this actually materializes, I'll grab them up and sell them face value to you guys.. as long as we can trust eachother to send money/tickets back and forth. I'll keep you guys posted on that subject.
Thanks so much for mentioning this and please do keep us updated. I'm sue there are quite a few of us STEPers still on the list (myself included - I am very trustworthy!) who would jump at buying those tickets! And that would mean if we get a STEP offer, we can decline it and get it back into the cue for someone else.

By the way, I am fairly new to eplaya, so forgive me for asking something that may have already been answered (I haven't read all 68 pages of this discussion thread let alone all the other threads), but when is it too late for a ticket to go into STEP. Is it when the physical ticket has been mailed?

International Incident
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Post by International Incident » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:53 pm

DiscoBall wrote:
By the way, I am fairly new to eplaya, so forgive me for asking something that may have already been answered (I haven't read all 68 pages of this discussion thread let alone all the other threads), but when is it too late for a ticket to go into STEP. Is it when the physical ticket has been mailed?
Once a ticket has been notified that it is about to ship then it is too late.

BUT, people that are holding tickets that are Will Call (eg overseas burners, people that don't trust themselves not to lose their tickets etc) can put the tickets into STEP up til early August (a mod will jump in and tell us the actual date :D ). The other tickets that can go into STEP are tickets issued through STEP - again up til early August.

There is a really good FAQ part on the main BM site in the ticketing section. That would be a good place to find out the "official word". I'd copy you a link but I want to encourage self reliance. :shock:

DiscoBall
Camp Name: Minstrel CrAMP

Post by DiscoBall » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:06 pm

melaniejane wrote: Once a ticket has been notified that it is about to ship then it is too late.

BUT, people that are holding tickets that are Will Call (eg overseas burners, people that don't trust themselves not to lose their tickets etc) can put the tickets into STEP up til early August (a mod will jump in and tell us the actual date :D ). The other tickets that can go into STEP are tickets issued through STEP - again up til early August.

There is a really good FAQ part on the main BM site in the ticketing section. That would be a good place to find out the "official word". I'd copy you a link but I want to encourage self reliance. :shock:
Thank you melaniejane! I will go check out that FAQ. Sometimes I need people to point me in the right direction, but once they do, I can run with it pretty well. I am grateful my friend suggested I check out eplaya. This has been a great source of information for me, since I'm sitting at 12:18:16 in the STEP queue. If I get my ticket, I hope to attend the meet and greet that everyone has been talking about so I can meet all the helpful people whose posts I have been reading the last few days.

strangeloop
Camp Name: Arrakis Spice Market

Post by strangeloop » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:05 am

12:18:21 just made it in! Woooooooooooooooo!!!

I had almost given up hope. Looks like I get to see you freaks in the dust in a few weeks. Unfortunately it's really late in the game for planning, but I'm sure I can pull it together.

Is there a planned STEP meetup yet, so we can cry on each other's shoulders?

SquirrelHead
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by SquirrelHead » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:57 am

Congrats on the ticket grab strangeloop!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl

Rhythmic

Post by Rhythmic » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:17 am

At 5:29am this morning I received my email for STEP tickets..... :o
YES
My time entering STEP was 12:18:20.
Tickets were offered at $390.

Hang in there people! Congratulations to all that have made it and good thoughts and wishes for those that are still in line. I'm not sure why the BMORG is taking so long. We can't seem to rely on any dates for delivery (seems like many people have not recieved their hard tickets even though they were suppose to have been shipped in June) or release times. Looks like there is a delay for everything. May not make the M&G, but maybe I will see you at the gate (or dance class on Tuesday).

Rhythmic
"Music Makes Me Loose Control"

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:24 am

Hey Vargaso, get ready! cause I'm at 12:18:21 and just got the email this morning. But am letting it expire since I was able to obtain tickets through another source.
I'm a bit nervous though, I would've liked to have got my shipping conformation before getting the STEP email.
I don't know what the price level is because I didn't click the link in the email. I didn't want to click it in case it commits to buy when you click it.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

wandergirl
Camp Name: dust & stars

Post by wandergirl » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:33 am

congrats everyone!!!

since it's getting down to the wire, I wish there was a way for people click "I don't need these", instead of the tickets taking 72 hours to expire.
★ ☆ ✰ inspiration ✰ ☆ ★

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:14 am

Bounce530 wrote:Hey Vargaso, get ready! cause I'm at 12:18:21 and just got the email this morning. But am letting it expire since I was able to obtain tickets through another source.
I'm a bit nervous though, I would've liked to have got my shipping conformation before getting the STEP email.
I don't know what the price level is because I didn't click the link in the email. I didn't want to click it in case it commits to buy when you click it.

No.. you can click through and see the price without having to purchase.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:14 am

DiscoBall wrote:If I get my ticket, I hope to attend the meet and greet that everyone has been talking about so I can meet all the helpful people whose posts I have been reading the last few days.
*gnashes teeth and mutters, we just aren't doing enough to discourage attendance at the meet'n'greet*

Note: The preceding is an example of snark--toothed humor that we on the board direct at each other. It's meant to be light-hearted, but occassionaly people mistake it for actual hostility. I realize that bringing this into the ticket threads, where so many people not used to the board's tone, might add to the confusion. Everyone on this board is welcome at the meet'n'greet.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:16 am

and with that said, there are two at $390.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”