pissing on the playa...

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
butterscotch

Post by butterscotch » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:43 pm

<Tabula Rasa Mistress~ those square crystal geiser gallon bottles make awesome potties in the middle of the night... the hole is large for those of male persuasion, and the pee funnel fit great...>

Agree whole-heartedly with you. They sold for 99 cents on special at Walgreens in Reno and we stocked up. Only later did we realize the true benefits of an empty closable (very important) bottle with a wide opening (also very important) for our poor bladders at 3 AM.

~Aimless

bullD

Post by bullD » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:05 pm

Sleeping with bottles filled with pee just outside your tent is really not that big a deal.

I pissed on the playa a couple of times in extreme situations but I also trucked my 6 gallons or so of pee out with me when I left,,, still not a big deal.

Rabbi Dali Rick

.......Poo is just another three letter word............

Post by Rabbi Dali Rick » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:23 pm

Kiba wrote: I'm not saying grab some poo and start flinging like monkeys or something.

Ok, I'll say it, you bastards grab some poo and start flinging it like monkeys or something!

flingly,
the rebbi

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:06 pm

I saw one woman squat down in a group of friends during the burn and pee. Then they moved away a little. I quietly walked up behind her and said, "Hon, if you're going to do that, at least kick dirt over it so no one steps right in it." I faded back. She did come over, hunt up her wet spot and kick dirt into it. Embarrassment works wonders. I can understand the need to pee, but in the middle of the burn crowd??? Well, the back edge of the burn crowd, near the art cars where everyone was walking around ... at least step out of the ring of activity into the darkness!

My little potty story:
I'm a very early riser, so the Sunday after the burn I got up, put on the latex gloves and grabbed a big-ass trash bag. We were camped next to the Hushville bank of potties so it was only a few steps. I was going to grab all the usual post-burn bottles and cans before JOTS got there. EUWW. Someone had shit on the seat of the first porto, not just a little, but huge steaming horse apples. I skipped that one. The handicapped stall was next nastiest: smelly panties, fishnet stockings, beer bottles, glowsticks and used condoms. A potty party, yuck gross. I filled the bag to the top and had to double bag it back in camp as the tampon applicators were tearing through the bag. I insisted on soap and boiling water hand washing, even after using gloves. I didn't even send the aluminum cans to recycle camp, too filthy.

I fucking HATE stepping on used tampon applicators. If I ever find that woman who was bleeding all week (same brand, same row of potties) I swear I'm going to save my pads and gift them to her empty tent. Although knowing me, I'm all bark and I'd be more likely gift her an Aunt Flo visitor kit instead of stashing used feminine goods in her sleeping bag. I'll think about it ferociously though.

vulgaris

Post by vulgaris » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:11 am

That's sad. I honestly believe some women are so afraid of their own cycles that they can't bare to touch anything related for more than the time it takes to pop the cork up in there. The rest of them, well, lazy fucks they are.

It's not that difficult to wrap the thing up and take it back to camp with you.

Sobretta Franjipan

Post by Sobretta Franjipan » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:09 pm

I'd be more likely gift her an Aunt Flo visitor kit
What's that??!

About applicators: if you have the cardboard ones you can burn them.

Yours truly,
SF

pstar

MAKE THEM ART!!!

Post by pstar » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:54 am

please oh please make the potties out on the playa ART - especially the ones way out - THEY WERE SO UGLY and totally distracting - first the orange fence and now this - AND WE HAVE THE SOLUTION!!! please please please.... those stonehenge heads last year were great... i like my outer playa experience to be free and wild as can be....

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:04 am

AntiM wrote:I saw one woman squat down in a group of friends during the burn and pee.
Did you take her picture? Post it. Maybe a little "community pressure" could discourage behavior like that. "I don't want to pee on the playa because someone will take my picture and post it on the Internet, I better find a potty or a bottle" kind of thing.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:39 pm

I had 2 "experiences" this year. Friday I was going to our bar to work a shift, as I was entering a guy stumbled outside maybe 3 feet then started pissing (in our camp, not on Esplanade). I shoved him toward the street where I hope he pee'd on himself...

The 2nd experience was more...disturbing. Turns out our camp had a designated "pee spot" I "discovered" late in the week. Some nameless person (who was a grizzled veteran) had dug a small hole in a discrete out-of-the-way corner. Pee in the hole. At the end of the week the hole got covered. When I found this, I was "pissed off" that my campmates would condone this - however they thought it was ok as "every camp had one". I never used it, and come monday I could not discern where it had been...but there was A LOT of pee in that hole...amazing it did not smell more than it did. Anyone else see this before (I guess it used to be VERY prevalent in the old days)?

HighPriestofUranus

Art potties on Playa

Post by HighPriestofUranus » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:59 pm

Pstar,

that idea rocks. But who will do it? Can we convince the BMOrg to do it, or is it up to us?
Man should not be in the service of Society,
Society should be in the service of man.

P.S. I'm straight

rumajo

poorly placed playa piss

Post by rumajo » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:05 pm

the thing is, if one can be inventive about pissing then it's not a big deal. My party partner found himself at the Temple burn with a full baldder and no way out. So he asked around for a cup from the crowd - was presented with 2 and then discreetly pissed in one. So then we made jokes about his 'chai' and was it warm? smell good? want a drink? It has lasted our regional group till now when we have officially named 'chai" as Robert Paulson's favorite drink. After the Temple he walked his chai to a potty and dumped it there. See...? easy. no mess and laughs all around... People are fucks tho and I saw plenty o'piss all over the playa, just look for a darker mark than the dust. Even ppl pissing near a potty!? I really like the photo idea!! That would work great!! I am posting another complaint about a loser dumping his garbage load on the way to Gerlach but the Sherrif got him after we complained!!!!!!! hooray!!!!!!

Miss Kate

Post by Miss Kate » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:55 pm

Just like Lorgasm I have to give huge kudos to the Pee Funnel Camp for making my fourth year the easiest peeziest of all. Hurray for you! Thank you, thank you!

..and since we’re pissin’ and moanin’…

I was on a MOOP mission and what got me the most? The pee (there was poo too, two of them that I saw (gag)) anyway, the gazillion pee spots that had toilet paper in them. Girls…WTF?

Now, in the potties, maybe it’s just me, but I have never been so blotto that I crapped on the toilet seat. Do these people poo on the seat at home? Do they huff in their yards and leave toilet paper in it? Come to think of it, I think they do. I saw a guy whizzing in a parking lot the other day.

My husband and I were walking around the Temple burn when I saw a guy piddling. Totally out of character for me, I scolded him. I kinda felt good and bad for doing it, but he needed to be told he was a bad boy. What a drag to have to tell people what’s up…about anything really.

Bonzo

Post by Bonzo » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:04 pm

I saw excessive numbers of people who brought 2 ply TP and baby-wipes. Once I educated them on how these fuck up the equipment, they were on board. Keep talking to everyone, and we'll all get enculturated. The first question one should ask to someone they meet is "How long have you been coming to Burningman?"[/quote]

This year we forgot the baby wipes (never mind keeping the used ones in ziplock bags... we eat out of those!) and instead bought a dedicated camel back just for the toilets. A nice cool (or warm) jet of water after pooping kept everything nice and sweet... used my little hand towel to dry myself every time... lovely.... and never needed the paper at all.

dj big E

lmao

Post by dj big E » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:35 pm

Thank good ness for the huge urinals at the porta potty banks. I never had to wait once in and out. And as far as poo-ing U people are eating to well lmao. I camp out in the area of the mars and 930 bank of porta potties and they were in stellar condition from mon- to mon. Thanks jots

universalspirit

about pissing clear

Post by universalspirit » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:58 pm

yes it's an issue to be pissing on the playa but when you look at it from a broad perspective urine is actually the cleanest thing to come out of your body and is used to heal in urine therapy so at least it wasn't masses of plastic and whatnot you know. i do agree with the lights on the bathroom on the playa theory.

thedrunkenmonkey

Post by thedrunkenmonkey » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:41 pm

One - I'll admit it, I peed on the playa. In the far-out where there were no portapotties, I whizzed, kicked it over, and made sure it wasn't going to be a problem.

When near camp but "not-gonna-make-it", I used a gallon cranberry juice bottle with a wide mouth and SOLID plastic walls from Costco; wrote "Piss Clear" and used it as a gauge for how much water I was drinking.

On the night of the burn - took a small bottle of Vitamin Water and filled it when I KNEW I wasn't going to make it to the potties.

As for the baby wipes - those were used in the privacy of my own tent, and the 7th generation TP was taken with me every time to the potties for a poo.

The one thing I have to emphasize, though, is something my friend Alex (one of the creation directors at Flight to Mars) said: "We build these incredible things that are pristine and beautiful and wonderful in the desert; but we have to expect that people act like damned dirty apes, so we have to build it so they can't." This was in direct response to a damned dirty ape peeing on the Spinning Disk Of Death for a laugh.

We had people climbing out of the maze, using our art for handholds and levers - and breaking it, so we put deer fencing over the top.

Thing is, if you see someone smoking when they go INTO the portapotty and they're not when they come out, ask them. If someone takes a goddamn CHICKEN into the portapotty and doesn't have it when they come out, ASK.

The only thing that can be done, really, to make sure people don't act like damn dirty apes is to take away the ability of the apes to fling poo. (And hose them down with ice water whenever they do.)
BANANAPHONE!

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

just for the record

Post by swampdog » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:45 pm

you probably don't want to re-use empty gatorade bottles that you find in my tent (or car, for that matter) for drinking from. They have nice sealable screw tops and I have no shame at all walking my pee bottle (or two) to the portas in the morning. Next year I may investigate buying a urinal from a medical supply house (although I suspect I'll stick with the gatorade bottles).

spongemonkey

Post by spongemonkey » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:11 am

Bonzo wrote: This year we forgot the baby wipes (never mind keeping the used ones in ziplock bags... we eat out of those!) and instead bought a dedicated camel back just for the toilets. A nice cool (or warm) jet of water after pooping kept everything nice and sweet... used my little hand towel to dry myself every time... lovely.... and never needed the paper at all.
Wow! A new use for my extra camel back i had never thought of!
Crazy! Thanks!

boomer235

Gatorade Bottles ROCK for piss

Post by boomer235 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:10 pm

After having to piss on the playa a couple times last year due to early childhood training concerning not pissing ones pants.. I had a solution this year.
The Gatorade bottles work.. I am fortunate that I haul a small cart with my bike to carry fire toys, fuel, etc.. in it I also carry empty Gatorade bottles. Fill em up and empty them later in a blue room... works like a charm.
When walking, or with others it would have been nice to have some type of "Potty Beacon" on the porta potties out on the playa.
Noticed a lot more spotting on the playa this year.

boomer235

Art for Piss

Post by boomer235 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:14 pm

It occurs to me along the thread of "Artifying" the porta potties out on the playa. I wonder if it would be feasable to create some kind of multi gender friendly urinal that incinerated/evaporated the urine.. like a flaming piss flower.. smelly yet effective ;-)
????? just a thought...

BooM

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:16 pm

Hmm, just add a little patchouli ... you might be onto something there.

jbelson

Post by jbelson » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:29 pm

Okay, I'll admit that I pee'd on the playa. Not around camp, but when your out deep in the abyss and you gotta go...

The worst is that there was a ranger camped at 5:30 and uranus who peed right next to his camper every day right in plain view of the street. He pee'd behind a board as if that made it okay. He was a ranger too.
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer

birdbrain

piss tanks

Post by birdbrain » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:29 pm

As a now x-newbie, I'm somewhat annoyed by the "all newbies" need to be trained etc. First off, some read the Survival Guide all the way through b4 even considering getting a ticket. Secondly, anyone who has camped and gives a shit/piss about the planet "leaves no trace":{ (not even footprints in the Moab area if you can help it:crptobiotic soil.}!!! And common sense would dictate that the lazy/tired/busy with other things/too buzzed/whatever, always use a piss tank(with funnel if need be!) and empty it carefully when ready/full and be "sober" enough to do it w/out sloshing it all over everything! If you really want to be considerate to the other 30,000# neighbors @ BRC, you could even carry a can of Lysol spray in case there are any tiny droplets and then use the single-ply tissue you always carry w/ u to wipe clean the lid. Maybe, I'm a wee bit to detail oriented but.............. Yep, my good ole piss tank, I never leave home without it!

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Re: Gatorade Bottles ROCK for piss

Post by sputnik » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:31 pm

boomer235 wrote:When walking, or with others it would have been nice to have some type of "Potty Beacon" on the porta potties out on the playa.
Noticed a lot more spotting on the playa this year.
There was something. It wasn't very bright, but there was a light next to the potties out in the open.

MoisturePup

Re: Almost everyone does it...

Post by MoisturePup » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:16 pm

freddybaby wrote:I saw the same thing, from old school burners (in my camp) to newbies.. It's fucked up yes but BM really needs to improve on the bathroom situation. They added urinals to a few stations, great idea but still not enough.

Pumping the potties only every 2 days is a really STUPID way to save a buck too.

Even if they added 1000 more potties, people would still be pissing on the playa. We get so fucked up out of our heads and you just don't think about it.... There are way more important core values of Burning Man that are being ignored but YES this is a good one.

I don't personally think that pee is that bad ecologicaly. We are supposed to be pissing clear right... But it's not cool. I did it 3 times, pissed on the playa, I suck ass and don't feel good about it but I also cleaned my camp space so good you could eat off it. Raked it 3 times, looked like a fucking zen rock garden with no rocks... but I still suck for pissing...
You know, sometimes those porta potties seemed really far away. I suggest next year that BMorg define a uniform beacon for the porta poties that are out on the playa. Otherwise it's too hard to distinguish where the porta potty is among the copious amounts of blinkies and other lights.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:44 pm

along with its twin brother
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:02 pm

Okay, I'll admit that I pee'd on the playa. Not around camp, but when your out deep in the abyss and you gotta go...

The worst is that there was a ranger camped at 5:30 and uranus who peed right next to his camper every day right in plain view of the street. He pee'd behind a board as if that made it okay. He was a ranger too.
OK, having admitted that what's the point.? Are you holding said Ranger to a different standard for an 'infraction' you both committed?
Desert dogs drink deep.

dj big E

Pissing on art

Post by dj big E » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:39 pm

If you see someone pissing on art may I suggest you educate them with some violence. A good old fashioned woop ass never hurt anything! :twisted:

stuart

Post by stuart » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:15 pm

if you see me peeing on the playa, please don't stare. I promise to be done shortly.
call me baby

geekster

Post by geekster » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:32 pm

Maybe they are just checking to make sure it is clear?

Pissing is good for you, people should do it at least twice a day if they get the chance. If you can't get to the potty, find a drug casualty .. that'll teachem.

Return to “Philosophical Center”