Mixes for Kraken Rum

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
Box Burner

Re: Mixes for Kraken Rum

Postby Box Burner » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:15 pm

illy dilly wrote:So, after talking about The Kraken so much, I had to try it.
The bottle kicks ass and is really easy to drink out of with the little finger handles.

But well, it sorta sucks for the price. :(
It doesn't go down smooth and doesn't have a very good taste for spiced rum.
For the same price I much prefer Sailor Jerry. Sadly, Sailor Jerry doesn't' have a cool name or come in a really cool bottle. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of Spiced Rum to begin with. I was really hoping that the Kraken would be really tasty and the perfect bottle to carry around in my back pack at the burn.
The thing I actually like about Sailor J. is that its very very easy and tasty to drink out of a flask... even a flask that has been in my pocket for a couple of hours and is sorta warm.

I am not a fan of spiced rum. (Or spiced whiskey.) IMOO the spice is there to cover up a liquor that is not quite so good. I like to drink my liquor neat from a shot glass. four that I like are, in no particular order:

- Pyrat xo Reserve
- Bacardi 8 (the only good thing from Bacardi IMOO)
- Myers Original Dark
- Sea Wynde
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:34 pm

Box Burner wrote:
I am not a fan of spiced rum. (Or spiced whiskey.) IMOO the spice is there to cover up a liquor that is not quite so good. I like to drink my liquor neat from a shot glass. four that I like are, in no particular order:

- Pyrat xo Reserve
- Bacardi 8 (the only good thing from Bacardi IMOO)
- Myers Original Dark
- Sea Wynde

I agree that Pyrat is delicious. I am not specifically a fan of dark rum, but it's very smooth, and quite tasty even without a mixer.
*** 2016 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:22 am

Kinda like yourself?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

YourRoad2Awe
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby YourRoad2Awe » Mon May 22, 2017 9:17 pm

To the guy who said that Kraken wasn't smooth...

Not sure what you mean. Probably just different pallates but for me Kraken is the smoothest drink I have ever had. Very potent for what it is. I have a strong Puerto Rican heritage and Kraken has been my number one drink since I started drinking. It doesn't mix well. With anything. Period. At all. Ever. So don't even try. Just stick that bottle in your freezer for 8hrs and go to town. Flasking it would be cool. Also shooting it is pretty great. Or just sip it slow while playing cards with a few stogies.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Tue May 23, 2017 7:47 am

Kraken is delicious. It is smooth enough to sip for me. It mixes well with ginger ale or pineapple juice, maybe a dash of lime. Too heavy for colas.

I don't really like Pyrat, I have a bottle languishing on the shelf (mod meet?). I recently discovered Zaya, an aged rum. Jamaican I think. Pricey, smooth, and sweet. I love Meyers dark from my sailors days, but can't find it in Utah. Our DABC is stingy with what they allow the state stores to stock.

Captain Morgan 1671 is pretty good for a low end spiced rum, and has the handy fingerhole bottle. Try that one for lugging around swigs. If you can find it, I think it was a limited edition.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Tue May 23, 2017 10:38 pm

Kraken? That trash is the only stuff that gives me a headache WHILE drinking it. Nasty molasses with gasoline and antifreeze overtones. Some nice Flor de Caña 7 year or even a plastic bottle of Captain Morgan is a better choice for sipping.

I got through half a small bottle of Kraken, over a long period of time, before mixing the rest with tap water in my sink.

Return to “Food & Drink”